Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, I had time to play an MMO today...

grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

My free time is far and few between so when I do have a good chunk of time to play, I want to have a good time.

I fire up TSW. Five minutes into it, I'm bored and log off.

I fire up Rift. I make it maybe eight minutes. Bored. Log off.

I fire up LOTRO. Barely get past a minute and I'm out.

I decide to check out the GW2 Halloween event. In to it five minutes I want to scoop my eyes with a spoon and I log off.

I fire up Vanguard and...four hours later, I have to force myself to log off.

Really? This is what it's come to? An MMO from 2007 with tons of bugs and a minimal population holds more fun for me than anything out since its release?

IMO, this genre is in serious trouble. image

Optional PvP = No PvP

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    themepark burnout happens to everyone:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

I agree. The thing that baffles me is that themepark mmo's are now going F2P right after launch...Yet, developers still make them in droves.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

I guess so, even though I think of Vanguard as a themepark.

In defense of themeparks however, I didn't list Eve Online because I couldn't even bring myself to click on the desktop icon.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

My free time is far and few between so when I do have a good chunk of time to play, I want to have a good time.

I decide to check out the GW2 Halloween event. In to it five minutes I want to scoop my eyes with a spoon and I log off.

Really? This is what it's come to? An MMO from 2007 with tons of bugs and a minimal population holds more fun for me than anything out since its release?

Vanguard is a real MMO, it's old but it has a lasting appeal, i never stopped having a sub for it.

I guess so, even though I think of Vanguard as a themepark.

In defense of themeparks however, I didn't list Eve Online because I couldn't even bring myself to click on the desktop icon.

Vanguard is a hybrid, it has themepark and sandbox type features.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

Vanguard rules all!!! Hehe.. I have a 40 Bloodmage, 40 Tailor, 50 Diplo and several alts.. It's the game I always go back to. The minimal pop is due to the bad launch.  It would probably take you two years+ hardcore to do everything in Vanguard.  Hardcore in Gw2 and TSW takes about a month to do.  I'm hoping more games follow Vanguard..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

I usually agree with you but this is not burnout.. Vanguard has much more depth.. It's just not new and shiny like GW2.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh

I usually agree with you but this is not burnout.. Vanguard has much more depth.. It's just not new and shiny like GW2.

vanguard is the only MMO he listed that is more of a hybrid imho so I still say it's a burnout on themeparks

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Vanguard is really good, this game and DDO never get uninstalled form my HDD. However, Vanguard needs a update as things get stale there too.
  • grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

Vanguard rules all!!! Hehe.. I have a 40 Bloodmage, 40 Tailor, 50 Diplo and several alts.. It's the game I always go back to. The minimal pop is due to the bad launch.  It would probably take you two years+ hardcore to do everything in Vanguard.  Hardcore in Gw2 and TSW takes about a month to do.  I'm hoping more games follow Vanguard..

One thing I do like about Vanguard is that combat with mobs takes more than 2 seconds unlike in most other MMOs. What is the point of having tons of skills if you never have to use them?

Optional PvP = No PvP

One thing I do like about Vanguard is that combat with mobs takes more than 2 seconds unlike in most other MMOs. What is the point of having tons of skills if you never have to use them?

I use all my skills as a Bloodmage.. It doesn't bother me that there are alot because I'm an old school clicker.

Also check out the http://www.vginterface.com/downloads/info236-TBirdDroxCompilationSetupVersion.html UI.. I love it.. It adds a lot to the game and I've become a huge fan of it.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

1 )  Vanella WoW ( the old days )

2 )  Vanguard

3 )  D&D Online  ( the old days )

Everything else is crap.........30 day video games.

It's not so much that it takes longer to kill mobs, it's that you really have to think about what you are doing most of the time. These new MMOs just allow you to run in and start owning everything knowing if you do die their are no penaltys

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Ahhhhhh! Vanguard the one you always turn to when all else fails, just rolled this month another alt, a DE Sorc and I'm in the DE starter zone mostly on my own but hey ho! Even with SOE's quite terrible f2p option I still found my way back to VG.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.