Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disney buys Lucasfilm/Lucasarts

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Daddydazzle
    Heir to the Empire trilogy please!!!! i've been waiting forever to see those books on the big screen. besides being solid stories, they deserve a place for what they did for the expanded universe.

Yes. This. Yes x 342897846372 billionity.

Ralph Fiennes as Thrawn?

Yes please.

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    GL killed his creation, now he is giving the dead beast to the crematory. soon  ashes and memories is all will be left.
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by william0532
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Some people aren't giving Disney enough credit.  They did the Pirate movies, Narnia, Avengers, and several others.  DIsney can make fun, larger than life, action adventure movies and that's what Star Wars is to me.  This is good news to me.

Exactly. Plus, I don't think George Lucas can do starwars right lol. I know that's a wierd thing to say, but its my opinion. If he would have had carte blanche with the originals, they would have been, well like the prequels. If not for oversight by "the evil corparations" lucas would have had the following

Luke, was a girl, Han Solo was a lizard, Jabba was furry, he wanted all the good guys to be smaller than the bad guys so he was going to cast asians for all the lead roles, it was originally earth 33rd century, vader had an iron castle surrounded by lava lol.

So I guess sometimes, having a bigger company make some command decisions is a good thing. I'm hoping the new movie either A.has nothing to do with the original story, B. Or has to suck up recasting those roles, and hires someone with a big time love of the genre. Hell I didn't think jj Abrahms would be able to do star trek, but hell, he did a good job.

I'm looking forward to it.(more so now, that I think it has a chance to not be on the same page as the prequels)

-edit and disney doesn't micro manage, they hire who they think will do the best job and let them go with it. Also, disney has had a long relationship with starwars(startours, the jedi academy thing for kids at the park and so on) so at least a company that loves it, bought it. What if EA bought it....

For the record there is a huge division among the star trek community,  there about 75% of us who hated the reboot that JJ did, and those are the same folks who hated Enterprise with Scott Bacula.  Just saying most trekkies I know don't consider the reboot to be star trek.  All one has to do is go to star trek on facebook and anytime the movie is mention watched as the thread devolves.  JJ making a good movie no thanks.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543
    Originally posted by necoo
    Technically they only bought Lucasfilms, not Lucasarts. As far as I know, nothing will change with any of the Star Wars games, they are outside of Disney's influence.

They bought the whole kit and caboodle: ILM, Skywalker Sound, THX, LucasArts, LucasFilms, they bought George's entire empire.

• UngoHumungoUngoHumungo Member Posts: 518
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Episode 7 is coming in 2015... I wonder what this movie will be about... any guesses?

my guess is it will be Luke and Laya rebuilding the jedi council, I think thats what the next book is about....honestly they could get the original cast cause they are all supposed to be old by then anyways

There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by Icewhite

It means that that eventually ABC will have to promo everything in live broadcasts (leaving even less time for news).

There's still news on tv?

My 2 cents on Episode 7:

I think it will probably center on the children of Luke and Leia's generation.  And I doubt they will base it purely off of any of the books.  The movies tend to stand by themselves (probably because they were written first :P), and the books flesh out the universe around the movies.  So while the books will I'm sure influence the movies, I doubt they will base a trilogy strictly off any of the books.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by cybersrs

LucasArts too? are you sure? I only read about LucasFilm.

If they bought LucasArts too, I hope to be release a new MMO in the furute.

as others have stated -- its *everything*

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/star_wars_1313/news/disney_buys_lucasfilm_lucasarts_included.html

Regarding LucasArts, LucasFilm's gaming division, Disney CEO Robert Iger said during an investor call (heard by GamesIndustry) that the firm plans to "focus more on social and mobile than we are on console."

Disney will, however, work "opportunistically" to license its properties for use in video games, rather than self-publishing.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by AdamTM
    Story is here:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/disney-acquires-lucasfilm-star-wars-creator/

What does this mean for SWTOR?

Prospects for SWG reboot?

For the love of Cthulhu, would you guys get over it? SWG is never coming back. Never.

Holy crap, thank you.

How deluded are SWG fans when their first thought is "Disney just bought LucasFilms? SWG REBOOT???"

• DanerilDaneril Member Posts: 41
    Doubt this will have any impact on Swtor. Although disney said they will focus more on social and mobile games from now on rather than on video / computer games.

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by skydiver12 Johnny Depp playing a drunken shmuggler Kira Knightley (again) playing a handmaiden of the (rip) Alderan Princess. Olando Bloom as Ben Skywalker? I'd watch that :)
    but this is disney so what you will actually get is;

Daffy Duck as the drunken smuggler

Pluto (in a dress, again) playing a handmaiden of the (rip ???) Alderan Princess

Popeye as Ben Skywalker.. 

and something very kingdom hearts orientated probably..

Alderan got blown up, unless disneyarts decides otherwise :P
    Besides, there are worser things for my children to grow up with than DuckWars :)
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by Binny45

Apparently they're going to retcon everything after Return of the Jedi.

Episode VII will be something entirely new.

As it should be.  The books weren't very good, even Zahns first trilogy.

• Originally posted by FrodoFragins

you're allowed to have an opinion, but i thought they were solid stories, and a good read in general. also ignoring the expanded universe, and going a new direction, is going to piss off a lot of fans of the franchise.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

I dont see why people see this as a bad thing tbh

GL wasnt going to do anything good with star wars anyway and disney have a great track record when it comes to other companies under their wing (pixar, marvel etc)

What I would love to see happen would be that they postpone the movie to 2018 and get Joss Whedon to write/direct it, for me the main thing missing from the prequels was the cockpit humor and Joss could bring that in spades imho

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

What?

Zahns trilogy was fantastic - as was the Xwing series and lots of other EU books after ROTJ.

And whoever said the comment about 75% of Star Trek fans not liking the JJ Abrams reboot is full of it. That was also a fantastic movie.

Here's the real truth - MOST of the Original series, TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise, and the Star Trek movies are really quite bad.

But the universe kicks ass, has some incredible fiction outside the "official" series and movies, and yes there are some phenominal episodes and good movies in the line up.

Star Wars is similar - the absolute best stuff in the universe is found outside the official 6 movie series.

Zahn, Stackpole, original KOTOR, Jedi Knight / Outcast series, Xwing/Tie Fighter series, comics...

The movies are more like the Rebel Assault games - entertaining, but the REAL meat and potatoes of the IP is done outside.

• TigerAeroTigerAero Member Posts: 127

I hope there's a lot of killing in the series and it doesn't involve any romance or any of that crap. Death and destruction...from Disney?

Most likely we can all guess what will happen and we all know the types of people Disney caters to  and we close our doors in disapproval.

• Originally posted by BadSpock

What?

Zahns trilogy was fantastic - as was the Xwing series and lots of other EU books after ROTJ.

And whoever said the comment about 75% of Star Trek fans not liking the JJ Abrams reboot is full of it. That was also a fantastic movie.

Here's the real truth - MOST of the Original series, TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise, and the Star Trek movies are really quite bad.

But the universe kicks ass, has some incredible fiction outside the "official" series and movies, and yes there are some phenominal episodes and good movies in the line up.

Star Wars is similar - the absolute best stuff in the universe is found outside the official 6 movie series.

Zahn, Stackpole, original KOTOR, Jedi Knight / Outcast series, Xwing/Tie Fighter series, comics...

The movies are more like the Rebel Assault games - entertaining, but the REAL meat and potatoes of the IP is done outside.

everything in this post. +1 

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Originally posted by evolver1972

It'll be interesting to see if Disney f's up the franchise more than Lucas did.

I'm hoping for a more John Carter-ish trilogy but expecting a Little Mermaid version of Star Wars.

Either way, for a franchise that was so great for so long, it's a pity to see how it was run into the ground.

Help us Obi Walt Disney.  You're our only hope.

I really don't think Disney will damage Star Wars any worse than Jar Jar Binks. Of course I am not holding out hope that they will improve it either. All in all, it is probably an appropriate match.

All die, so die well.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by FrodoFragins Originally posted by Binny45 Apparently they're going to retcon everything after Return of the Jedi. Episode VII will be something entirely new.
    you're allowed to have an opinion, but i thought they were solid stories, and a good read in general. also ignoring the expanded universe, and going a new direction, is going to piss off a lot of fans of the franchise.

Not making fans of the franchise angry isn't going to be an option at this point. What they can do is what they do well...write and develop things that people in general like, with a nod to the fans of the franchise.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246
    And now the circle is complete...
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by deakon

I dont see why people see this as a bad thing tbh

GL wasnt going to do anything good with star wars anyway and disney have a great track record when it comes to other companies under their wing (pixar, marvel etc)

Agreed.

All this can do is improve the situation for the SW franchise IMO. It's ridiculous to see Disney as some kind of evil ruinous corperate entity when we are looking at Lucas Arts...

Maybe we can get this franchise heading in the right direction again now.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    I wonder what the new Star Wars play ground will look like at Disney Land?
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Not making fans of the franchise angry isn't going to be an option at this point. What they can do is what they do well...write and develop things that people in general like, with a nod to the fans of the franchise.

Exactly. Star Wars fanatics gripe about any and everything. Disney already has experience in this regard with the heat they took from Marvel fans over the casting of Robert Downey Jr. Iron Man turned out to be a huge success and the fanatics that kicked up a mighty stink ended up with egg on their faces. In a few years,the same might happen to the posters on this board making snarky referrences to this franchise turning into Micky Mouse with lightsabers. Have none of you heard of Iron  Man, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America and The Avengers? All solid movies and all made a crap load of money. It's amazing. The same people that griped how Lucas was running Star Wars in the ground are griping because he got rid of it. Make up your minds already. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by ktanner3

Exactly. Star Wars fanatics gripe about any and everything. Disney already has experience in this regard with the heat they took from Marvel fans over the casting of Robert Downey Jr. Iron Man turned out to be a huge success and the fanatics that kicked up a mighty stink ended up with egg on their faces. In a few years,the same might happen to the posters on this board making snarky referrences to this franchise turning into Micky Mouse with lightsabers. Have none of you heard of Iron  Man, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America and The Avengers? All solid movies and all made a crap load of money. It's amazing. The same people that griped how Lucas was running Star Wars in the ground are griping because he got rid of it. Make up your minds already. 

agreed after seeing how well done the recent marvel movies have been(especially The Avengers) from them as I star wars nut I really have HIGH hopes for the future of star wars.. before this annoucment I had pretty much gave up on hope for anymore star wars movies

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by BadSpock

What?

everything in this post. +1 

That being said, Episode 7,8,9 without using material from EU especially Hier to Empire / Jedi Academy etc. is just as big of a gamble as using material from EU.

If they use material from EU, it probably won't match up to fan expectations.

If they don't use EU and do something new, it's a real big gamble - it either works and is a major success and people are thankful for the retcon.

Or it doesn't work and everyone wishes they would have just used EU material etc.

It's really hard to win this game.

It all depends on who the screenplay writer is, who the director is, and who plays Han Solo.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by BadSpock
    That being said, Episode 7,8,9 without using material from EU especially Hier to Empire / Jedi Academy etc. is just as big of a gamble as using material from EU.If they use material from EU, it probably won't match up to fan expectations.If they don't use EU and do something new, it's a real big gamble - it either works and is a major success and people are thankful for the retcon.Or it doesn't work and everyone wishes they would have just used EU material etc.It's really hard to win this game.It all depends on who the screenplay writer is, who the director is, and who plays Han Solo.

Christian Bale as Darth Vader and Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Skywalker. Bruce Willis or Ben Affleck gets to play Han Solo.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.