Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anyone know people like this [WoW bashing]

I have a friend that stopped playing at the end of TBC, yet still thinks he's an authority on comparing WoW to newer MMOs. He'll go on and on about how this new MMO has these new features and groundbreaking stuff, not realizing WoW's had them for YEARS in some cases.

He pissed me off so much I got passionate about it (a character flaw I have) and had to post it here.

I wonder how many people are actually like this on these forums - having played WoW years ago, thinking it hasn't changed since and comparing it from memory to new games coming out today.

Comments

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Not unique by any stretch of the imagination, you see the same thing here time and time again with what seems to me people trying to justify why they left the game when in all reality it doesn't require any justification because if you burned out, just plain don't like the game or got bored with it, the right thing to do is leave and find something you do enjoy.

I will never to this day understand why people have to bash this or any other game they used to play because 'it went in the wrong direction' or they burned through the content too fast because if it falls out of your favour or you don't feel there is anything left for you there just move on and enjoy something else. I did the same with EvE a long time back where i had two accounts running and i just got to the point where the game was eating into my social and working life, so i dropped it and moved on to something that suited me better.

There you go, had my rant too now :)

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by Shadoed

Not unique by any stretch of the imagination, you see the same thing here time and time again with what seems to me people trying to justify why they left the game when in all reality it doesn't require any justification because if you burned out, just plain don't like the game or got bored with it, the right thing to do is leave and find something you do enjoy.

I will never to this day understand why people have to bash this or any other game they used to play because 'it went in the wrong direction' or they burned through the content too fast because if it falls out of your favour or you don't feel there is anything left for you there just move on and enjoy something else. I did the same with EvE a long time back where i had two accounts running and i just got to the point where the game was eating into my social and working life, so i dropped it and moved on to something that suited me better.

Well its not about burn out, it's about they changed the game compleatly !!!!!.....Millions still play anyway, millions are still starting, millions are mad as hell.

I'll try and explain why people have to bash.  It's easy.  People don't like when you take something they like away from them.

- Blizzard could have made a new mmo called " WoW for kids "

- Blizzard could have created another Island instead of screwing around with game content.

- Blizzard could have made easy servers that players could join. ( after all, if they could make pvp and pve servers they could do this )

Instead they made the game easy fast so players WILL BUY EACH AND EVERY EXPANTION.....This is the bottom line !!

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by nsignific

I have a friend that stopped playing at the end of TBC, yet still thinks he's an authority on comparing WoW to newer MMOs. He'll go on and on about how this new MMO has these new features and groundbreaking stuff, not realizing WoW's had them for YEARS in some cases.

He pissed me off so much I got passionate about it (a character flaw I have) and had to post it here.

I wonder how many people are actually like this on these forums - having played WoW years ago, thinking it hasn't changed since and comparing it from memory to new games coming out today.

Hey its funny, considering WoW has never once in its entire run invented a new MMO feature. The most its done is take others and rebrand them (took LotRO's instancing style and called it "phasing"). 

Nothing in WoW is unique to WoW, another MMO already had it first. 

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

/raises hand

Sounds like your friend knows what he is talking about.  Smart getting out at TBC.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

All wow's features are taken from other games, none are original ideas.

• speedymcmanspeedymcman Member UncommonPosts: 24

WoW is still the same game it was eight years ago. It's a rat race for gear. Only difference with each new expansion is that Blizzard makes it easier for the newer player to jump on in and start that gear grind.

• iNeokiiNeoki Member UncommonPosts: 353

Originally posted by speedymcman
    Originally posted by nsignific I have a friend that stopped playing at the end of TBC, yet still thinks he's an authority on comparing WoW to newer MMOs. He'll go on and on about how this new MMO has these new features and groundbreaking stuff, not realizing WoW's had them for YEARS in some cases. He pissed me off so much I got passionate about it (a character flaw I have) and had to post it here. I wonder how many people are actually like this on these forums - having played WoW years ago, thinking it hasn't changed since and comparing it from memory to new games coming out today.
    WoW is still the same game it was eight years ago. It's a rat race for gear. Only difference with each new expansion is that Blizzard makes it easier for the newer player to jump on in and start that gear grind.

This is correct, I played wow at Alpha stage, then again in closed beta, then again at launch, played the living hell out of it during it's infancy (Vanilla). Then I played a bit in TBC (Mostly just did Arena's, no raiding), then did lots of raiding and arena's in Wrath. Cata was laughable for me, I already had Gladiator 3 times, so I got to 85 and got herioc geared and then quit until Panda Land came out. My best buddy and I got bored 2days before panda expac and then decided to try the game again together, we had and are still having fun.

However most if not 70% of that fun is from blowing through and re-doing old content (Raids and such). The game truly has become nothing more than a race for gear, race for titles and lastly, massive stroke of epeen goodness. The only true originality Blizzard put into this game, is massive amounts of intelligent marketing procedures that I wish other great games would follow so they could be more recognized.

Regardless, I'm still playing wow, mostly just to prevent myself from burning myself out too fast on Planetside 2 before it even launches.

TwitchTV: iNeoki

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459
    Originally posted by delete5230
    Originally posted by Shadoed

Well its not about burn out, it's about they changed the game compleatly !!!!!.....Millions still play anyway, millions are still starting, millions are mad as hell.

I'll try and explain why people have to bash.  It's easy.  People don't like when you take something they like away from them.

- Blizzard could have made a new mmo called " WoW for kids "

- Blizzard could have created another Island instead of screwing around with game content.

- Blizzard could have made easy servers that players could join. ( after all, if they could make pvp and pve servers they could do this )

Instead they made the game easy fast so players WILL BUY EACH AND EVERY EXPANTION.....This is the bottom line !!

^^^ Case in point!

I never said it was all about burn out, if you read the highlighted section again it covers most reasons why you wouldn't play a game anymore.

You are right, people don't like having things they like taken away, but when it happens they vote with their wallets and say that they will not support that brand, company or provider anymore then move on somewhere else to get what they require. My satellite provider stopped providing me with the value i expected so i moved to a cable supplier, i spoke to them and told them why i was leaving and explained what would have kept me as a customer, what i don't do is call them every day asking them why they won't give me what i want and tell every person that still has that satellite service that they are crazy for doing so because that is their choice.

If you spend your whole life thinking "Wouldda, Shouldda, Couldda" you will drive yourself to dispair.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

about 3 months ago i went to try wow out again 

before that  the last time i played was TBC  and i  left   about 6 months after  

when i restaarted i couldnt get past lvl  15    

personaly  i was expecting  things like old graphics and  quest hearts  but what got me was the controls 

i remember years ago moving from wow  to  other games and thinking  how bad the controls are   but going back to wow i just had the same feeling

but the game looked really old and i just dont understand how people can play it for years and years

atm i can because there is new content with MOP  but  in a few months  i realy dont understand  what they will be  doing  once the new content has run out

and if  anything i saw  is repeted like collect 10 rat tails or collecting armour  and weapons ectra  then  why are people still playing

it sure must feel like tread mill

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

I just pity people who still play WoW, having replayed it the last few weeks to compare it to more recent MMOs.

Pandaria just feels so dated and so boring. It's not just the graphics, though the ugly blocky 2004 graphics don't help. It's actually the gameplay itself. It was such good gameplay a few years ago, but so many MMOs since then have innovated and changed things up.

GW2 gameplay is just miles better than WoW's in both PVE and PVP. It just doesn't have any gear grind, and some players really want the gear grind, so they play WoW. They should probably try Rift since it has a great raiding game, but whatever. I don't really want to run the rat race any more, but those who do are still playing WoW for that, and that alone.

• KasmosKasmos Member UncommonPosts: 593
    Originally posted by phantomghost

/raises hand

Sounds like your friend knows what he is talking about.  Smart getting out at TBC.

Basically this, Wow Vanilla was unbelievable, then they decided to cater to everyone including computerly challenged adults and kids.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Ok, just don't stab your friend.

You are probably both right to some degree.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Originally posted by Greyhooff

I just pity people who still play WoW, having replayed it the last few weeks to compare it to more recent MMOs.

Pandaria just feels so dated and so boring. It's not just the graphics, though the ugly blocky 2004 graphics don't help. It's actually the gameplay itself. It was such good gameplay a few years ago, but so many MMOs since then have innovated and changed things up.

GW2 gameplay is just miles better than WoW's in both PVE and PVP. It just doesn't have any gear grind, and some players really want the gear grind, so they play WoW. They should probably try Rift since it has a great raiding game, but whatever. I don't really want to run the rat race any more, but those who do are still playing WoW for that, and that alone.

Thw multiple millions don't need your pity. Just because you don't like means there's something wrong with them.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by Istavaan

All wow's features are taken from other games, none are original ideas.

^This^

WoW pulled heavily from WAR as an example. While theres nothing wrong with that, your friend is correct, WoW hasnt done anything original since it released, except for phasing. Thats their only orginal additon to MMO since it released 8+ years ago, phasing.

Its more of a sad fact WoW players dont realise this.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• poliboypoliboy Member Posts: 39

Is just freaking funny.

You all hate the game, but the game still has a very strong fan base.

the game still makes more profit than any other game or games combined.

People need to realize that 90% of wow  players are casual players.

that means, blizzard built the game to please those who pay their bills.

People like to play for gear is the nature of humans.

today you have a toyota but if you can get a BMW, why not go for it.

People like having the latest and best.

Am i wrong?

Why hate on blizzard? when all they do is make money.

Who cares if they stole ideas from other games.

they are smart enough to sell it  to their fan base.

Hate on losers not on Winners.

• danmax67danmax67 Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Originally posted by poliboy

Is just freaking funny.

Am i wrong?

McDonald's makes more money than Cafe des Artistes. I'm pretty sure that doesn't make it a better restaurant.  Your analogy is all wrong. WoW is the Toyota that many people drive. They don't realize that the BMW's are out there, in most cases for a better cost.

• poliboypoliboy Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by danmax67

Is just freaking funny.

Am i wrong?

McDonald's makes more money than Cafe des Artistes. I'm pretty sure that doesn't make it a better restaurant.  Your analogy is all wrong. WoW is the Toyota that many people drive. They don't realize that the BMW's are out there, in most cases for a better cost.

Yeah, that is why 9m+ still play the game?

You telling me 9m+ are ignorants?

• mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Originally posted by Greyhooff

I pity anyone who doesn't drive a Ferrari  - no wait a minute, get a life and don't put people down because they don't do or like what you do!

• mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450

Is just freaking funny.

Am i wrong?

+1

• nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by Hokie

^This^

WoW pulled heavily from WAR as an example. While theres nothing wrong with that, your friend is correct, WoW hasnt done anything original since it released, except for phasing. Thats their only orginal additon to MMO since it released 8+ years ago, phasing.

Its more of a sad fact WoW players dont realise this.

See, that's just not true. You're exactly the kind of person I describe in my OP. You just don't really know what goes on in WoW nowadays (or indeed, the past few years). Claiming phasing is the only original idea Blizzard had with WoW is a laughable notion. Thanks for proving my point though, I knew there were *many* people like you!

About WAR..I think this pretty much lost it's meaning after WAR:AOE copy/pasted WoW, huh. I remember the fanboys back then, "WAR will kill WOW because WOW only copied WAR everyone knows that".

It didn't, they didn't, etc, etc. Obviously there's more to it than the theme.

P.S.: should've prefaced with this; who even cares if it's original? It's done better. Had no idea "gamer hipster" was a thing outside of hearbreaking facebook photos.

P.S: tell me which game WoW lifted "BEING GOOD" from?

Because before WoW, the quality just wasn't there. Sure, there were ideas and many *nice* tries, but nothing really good

I know you won't agree here since you're all old mmo players who think EQ and UO are still tops, so this is a bit of a troll. ALSO IT'S SUBJECTIVE, so meh pointless debate, but somewhat objectively, you have to realize those games didn't go mainstream for a reason. And it's not because they weren't made for stupid people. I tried them at release and while I recognized the potential the unbearable lack of polish turned me off instantly.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

I left BrandX because [ ].  I tried BrandY because [ ], but hated it too.  It tried BrandZ because [ ], but hated it too.

In essence, descriptive of nearly the entire population of this website.  Only the Brand Names change.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351

Yes GW2 spammy ass PvE is sooo good.

Have any of you actually killed a end game heroic raid boss in WoW? (or any of the hard hard bosses pre Wotlk) because I doubt you have. Yes they have generalized alot of content but if you want a challenge still you can still find one.

Originally posted by Serenes

Yes GW2 spammy ass PvE is sooo good.

Have any of you actually killed a end game heroic raid boss in WoW? (or any of the hard hard bosses pre Wotlk) because I doubt you have. Yes they have generalized alot of content but if you want a challenge still you can still find one.

I remember when the whine started in TBC; it wasn't that the content was made easier in the top end, it was that casuals got a chance to progress as well.

The QQing was massive, "wellfare epics" meant other people got to look like they play the game too - not like clowns in leveling greens/blues. CAN'T HAVE THAT.

Can't fool me now, I was there. That was the basic and VERY LOUD sentiment among hardcore raiders.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Can't fool me now, I was there. That was the basic and VERY LOUD sentiment among hardcore raiders.

It's ok to leave a four year old argument buried.  All of the meat has decayed from it anyway.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.