Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reviving old BBS in modern era

joonkp1976joonkp1976 Member Posts: 93
BBSes have gone out of style...  thanks to the newer generation MMORPG and file sharing.  But still I miss much of the old days, of the BBS doors gaming.  I am from the age of 14400 baud moderm calling BBSes and then onto internet with 14400 doing internet BBSes.  If one was to revive the BBS method, it could mean 'Yay' from many or even cashy for the developers.  Let us say the old BBS doors games were all to be revived in 3D and be offered on the new modern era BBS service(es).  Many of the classics and cannot forget the good old MUD in 3D, full 3D and only full 3D in this case of many's 'Yay's and cash for some.  If with good quality doors 3D games the commercial BBS services could exist.  Let us say for the paying model of $15 a month as to that of an average MMORPG.  But the file serving part would have to be categorized and well maintained file sharing and of course the Bulletin service would have to exist I guess...  If the doors games and MUD games were in good quality, I would pay $15 a month gladly for them.  Anyways, my nostalgia that some might disagree with.  'Happy' gaming, people~!

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    What do you see as the key differences between what you envision as a modern BBS experience and Facebook?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    What TF is BBS?
  • IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143

I used to run a Wildcat! BBS in the 90ies, and i though TradeWars was really fun !

I also had another door game, Bordello, lol, quite popular!

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    I used to run a BBS when I was in high school.  It was a lot of fun.  It's what sparked my interest in programming.  But that day is dead.  Sorry but it's time to move on.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by Enigmatus
    What TF is BBS?

BBS = Bulletin Board Service.

It's what all us old timers used before there were ISPs for quick and easy Internet access. They were locally run computer online servers that you would log into and be a part of your local computer community. Some even provided Internet access but the Internet was a totally different beast back in those days... the days before HTML. The Internet was all in Unix and you needed to know the language or at least a good supply of commands to get anywhere.

I do miss the days of ANSI graphics and dial up modems as well at times. Those days also gave us such classics as Commander Keen and Jill of the Jungle that you faithfully downloaded from your local BBS. We had about 6 in my area back in the 80's and early 90's. The one I most frequented was a Wildcat board as it was ran by a friend of mine and he always seemed to have the best shareware. Good times.... good times.

Bren

Google BBS style!

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143

When i connected my Wildcat! with the D´Bridge mailer, and could get newsgroups and netmail, wow, it was a big thing.

I started with a 2400 modem, while the big guys had 9600 or even 14400 modems that cost a fortune.

It drove my technical interest and its fun to have been a part of it in the pre-internet days.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Folks just use TS or Vent, solved your problem. Send me " Beer "

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240

I still have floppy images of pcboard 15 and ms dos 6.22.

The door games like L.O.R.D. and T.E.O.S. would run but I think you might as well play a mud which still lives. I don't miss the old file interface, downloading .qwk packs for offline reading or the whole model thing. It might be fun again for an hr, but after that you will miss modern day communication :)

Edit: you are probably missing the people and not the software

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

300 baud here.  Ran a BBS for a while on my C64.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Originally posted by tyfon

I still have floppy images of pcboard 15 and ms dos 6.22.

The door games like L.O.R.D. and T.E.O.S. would run but I think you might as well play a mud which still lives. I don't miss the old file interface, downloading .qwk packs for offline reading or the whole model thing. It might be fun again for an hr, but after that you will miss modern day communication :)

I started on a Tandy 1200 with 5.25 floppys, Cm5 moniter the first game of many to come was " StarFlight " It would be really great if someone would come out with a updated version of it. EA was the maker then.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • joonkp1976joonkp1976 Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Brenelael
    Originally posted by Enigmatus
    What TF is BBS?

BBS = Bulletin Board Service.

It's what all us old timers used before there were ISPs for quick and easy Internet access. They were locally run computer online servers that you would log into and be a part of your local computer community. Some even provided Internet access but the Internet was a totally different beast back in those days... the days before HTML. The Internet was all in Unix and you needed to know the language or at least a good supply of commands to get anywhere.

I do miss the days of ANSI graphics and dial up modems as well at times. Those days also gave us such classics as Commander Keen and Jill of the Jungle that you faithfully downloaded from your local BBS. We had about 6 in my area back in the 80's and early 90's. The one I most frequented was a Wildcat board as it was ran by a friend of mine and he always seemed to have the best shareware. Good times.... good times.

Bren

Google BBS style!

No way sillies...  BBS means 'Big Butt' Service...  lol...  'Happy' gaming, folks~!

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by IG-88

I used to run a Wildcat! BBS in the 90ies, and i though TradeWars was really fun !

I also had another door game, Bordello, lol, quite popular!

Oh, TradeWars! Man, I miss that frickin' game. I remember rushing home from school with my imagination going wild thinking about what I was going to do when I logged in.

Great gaming memories from the golden years.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

actually BBS is still very popular in Taiwan for some reason or another

especially in high school/early uni

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595

my family's first computer came along, running dos.  i was a young boy, around 13 or 14 i think, and i see i can log onto all these cool sounding bbs locations.  so i'm in wisconsin, dialing up maine, texas, california, etc.....guess what my parent's phone bill was after a month of me doing this?  i had to fork over 600 dollars from my savings account to make up for the phone bill.   

bbs you ruined my life!  back to the farm nearby to earn some more bucks tossing haybales....sigh.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Maximus and Renegade for the win!

I wonder if FidoNet is still running.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.