Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mad King's Clocktower: Pure Awesome!

SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
Okay, so this is like 50/50 with the community right now.  Some people completely hate it, some people completely love it.  But, the Mad King's Clocktower is a very fun and challenging Jumping Puzzle.

There are a few issues with players using pets, summoned minions, and whatever to completely block view of your character and/or jumps...but that's an MMO for you and griefers abound.  Some people (like the chick in the video above) think that by going almost completely nake it gives you an edge of some kind; I find that to be an odd myth.

Also, I'd like to see them keep the Reaper's Rumble after Halloween.  It's a great mini-game that trumps Keg Brawl in every way.  Think a smaller DoTA style map with more player interaction and no towers.   If they take it away, then the only existing mini-games will be the Keg Brawl and Costume Brawling (the latter being okay every now and then, but requiring others around you have a costume to participate).

Lunatic Inquisition is not that great of a mini-game.  It's alright, but the matches are just...I don't know, I feel that it's short sided and only just a bit lacking in something.  Maybe if the villager/survivor's required food or something instead of just camping in cracks and holes.

P.S. Can't wait to see what the "special event" is on Sunday.

Comments

• ellobo29ellobo29 Member UncommonPosts: 423

i personaly loved the mad kings clocktower.... took 4.5hours to finally beat that thing. And if felt so good when i did. No powerleveling, no team carrying you to victory, just plain skill. Either you can overcome it or you cant. 

Oh yea and i also agree with you on the reapers rumble.... awesome mini game.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

I kind of wish the mad kings clock tower was even harder, unless this is a warm up puzzle for even harder future ones.

I mean it took me about 35-40 minutes, but mainly due to the annoyance of norns/charrs and not knowing to jump down onto that platform, but once I did it once I managed to do it again...

...yeah that's right, I managed to do it two times in a row, second time I only got some trick or treat bags so I left.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Question: where is the "puzzle"? It looks pretty straightforward with minimal puzzle-elements. Other than that, it looks like a nice jumping challenge in the sense that it suits the theme and looks nice aesthetically.
  • SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Question: where is the "puzzle"? It looks pretty straightforward with minimal puzzle-elements. Other than that, it looks like a nice jumping challenge in the sense that it suits the theme and looks nice aesthetically.

It's a puzzle by players getting the right jumps and the right pace. It's a speed puzzle.  In fact, the most puzzling part is the two pillars you jump off @ around 70% through, because alot of people (myself included) couldn't figure out to jump down and just died as the ooz came up and killed them.  There's still a lot of "wrong" jumps and even three chests that are fake, set there by the Mad King to cause people to stop their path and fail the challenge.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I think it's a pretty good difficulty overall, considering you get a peice of lvl 80 exotic gear at the end. Took a lot of effort to figure out, and is still a bit challenging after you know what to do.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• rastapastorrastapastor Member UncommonPosts: 188

http://soundcloud.com/maclaine/sets/guild-wars-2-halloween-2012

an addition to the awesome event is the masterpiece music made by Jeremy Soule...again Jeremy proves he is one of the best game music composer ever!

• Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323
    It's not bad when the cutscene doesn't lag you into an insta-death, or when it doesn't randomly reset midway through, or when people aren't griefing by dropping banners to change your movement speed right as you jump, or when they grief by popping an oakheart, elemental, and flying ember at the same time to block everyone's camera, or when the camera starts jumping all over the place, or when you start glitching through solid objects.  Frankly, it's a bug-ridden mess for too much of the player base, and the animosity and open hostility to Norn and Charr characters is making it a miserable experience.  When guides posted on GW2's own forums tell people to change instances until they don't have more than 1 or 2 large characters in the group, there's a problem.  The server queueing is also bugged presently as you get sent to an overflow server and never get moved to your actual server unless you know the workaround/exploit of glitching out of the lobby to avoid being pulled into the overflow clock runs.  This really should have been instanced like the dungeons where you can run in alone or run it with your own group, but dumping a dozen people in this together was not a smart idea.  They've been merging threads like crazy about it to keep their entire event forum from being one wall of posts complaining about the clock run.  If you can glitch yourself out of overflow and get into what is normally a virtually empty regular server lobby, you'll have a much better experience: fewer people blocking your camera or griefing and faster restarts since the timer is keyed to everyone in the group finishing/failing before it resets.  

• ThradiaThradia Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Originally posted by Siphaed
      Some people (like the chick in the video above) think that by going almost completely nake it gives you an edge of some kind; I find that to be an odd myth.

I haven't run the CLocktown yet, but I go naked not because it gives me an edge, but to save armor damage when I fall on the jumping puzzles one million times! lol I am not a good jumper and naked saves my armor!

• atharielathariel Member Posts: 91
    Originally posted by Thradia
      Some people (like the chick in the video above) think that by going almost completely nake it gives you an edge of some kind; I find that to be an odd myth.

I haven't run the CLocktown yet, but I go naked not because it gives me an edge, but to save armor damage when I fall on the jumping puzzles one million times! lol I am not a good jumper and naked saves my armor!

It took me three and a half hours to defeat the Clock Tower, after that I did it three more times in 15 minutes period. Once you get the hang of it it's easy, you just have to memorize every jump and base on your instinct :)

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    It took me over 100 tries, but I finally made it! :)

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Thradia

That's actually a myth.

Dying from the jumping puzzle doesn't give you armor damage, just as falling to your death doesn't give you armor damage. Going naked really only helps if there are enemies that might fight you.

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497
    Originally posted by rastapastor

http://soundcloud.com/maclaine/sets/guild-wars-2-halloween-2012

an addition to the awesome event is the masterpiece music made by Jeremy Soule...again Jeremy proves he is one of the best game music composer ever!

That was actually done by a different GW2 composer, Jeremy Soule is no longer working on GW2.

I'll try and find his name (Maclaine Diemer?), but he'd posted on Reddit regarding this piece not long ago.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    I actually didn't think reaper's rumble was that exciting. I felt the survival mini-game was WAY more fun. For me the aim was to stay alive long enough to get the ripper to kill the reapers. And did anyone notice that the mobs in the mad realm are using player skills albeit with different effects to them? And in reaper's rumble we are using a axe and pistol which only NPCs could use? I thought that was cool.

This is not a game.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Here's a screen grab from his emergence.  I am so glad I was there.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

I don't seem to be having a problem with it...

In fact, I've done it so many times the rules of physics no longer apply to me in that realm and I can navigate it as I wish. Even if it means flying. 

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    I wouldn't mind the clocktower so much if I wasn't playing a tiny Asura always getting my camera caught in the robes of giant Charr or Norn.  :(

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Here's a screen grab from his emergence.  I am so glad I was there. 

Off-topic, Bill. Shame on you!

. .
    ~

• Ethos86Ethos86 Member Posts: 124

The people undressing (taking of their armor) are doing it because of solidarity towards the other players they are grouped with. It makes every character take up less space on the screen so it does make it kinda easyer for yourself and mainly for the others to see the jumps they have to take.

Most of the players i played with did this on their own or when asked by the group. Specially if you are Norn or Charr and you have bulky spiky armor taking up much space.

There are no other benefits from it than this.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Yeah people stripped down to not block the view for others so much.

I enjoyed jumping around with naked human females - just wish I could have convinced myself that they actually are girls. *sigh*

Harbinger of Fools
  • ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

I´m starting to think i won´t be able to make it on time....

Tic,Tac,Tic,Tac......

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Dude that is a REALLY cheap map,that is like amateur hour on map design.

I beleive it was Ratchet and clank a long time ago that used jump map and did it better,nothing great to see there.

There is NOTHING utilized in that map other than a plain tower and some obstacles to jump to.You could add gravity changes,wind tunells,slippery surfaces,walls to destroy,targets to shoot to open up secrets,geesh that map shoudl have taken the guy no longer than maybe 4 hours.I could do a MUCH better job by myself and i am not being paid by Anet to make maps.

They could have also used dodging but they ruined dodging from the unreal design which was to dodge over 512 unit distances.They could have also used physics as well which would have allowed weapon moves/jumps aka rocket jumps sort of thing.,geesh basically the map did nothing at all,it is like the very basic start of a map.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Dude that is a REALLY cheap map,that is like amateur hour on map design.

I beleive it was Ratchet and clank a long time ago that used jump map and did it better,nothing great to see there.

There is NOTHING utilized in that map other than a plain tower and some obstacles to jump to.You could add gravity changes,wind tunells,slippery surfaces,walls to destroy,targets to shoot to open up secrets,geesh that map shoudl have taken the guy no longer than maybe 4 hours.I could do a MUCH better job by myself and i am not being paid by Anet to make maps.

They could have also used dodging but they ruined dodging from the unreal design which was to dodge over 512 unit distances.They could have also used physics as well which would have allowed weapon moves/jumps aka rocket jumps sort of thing.,geesh basically the map did nothing at all,it is like the very basic start of a map.

cool story:) everyone in game is loving it or getting very frustrated they can't beat it.:P besides this is a one time holiday jumping puzzle afaik the wind tunnel and more complex puzzles are present in their other regular jumping puzzles

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Originally posted by Aerowyn
    everyone in game is loving it or getting very frustrated they can't beat it.

Not everyone - I hated it, but I was smart enough to quit after two attempts rather than getting frustrated. :-)

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Banquetto

Not everyone - I hated it, but I was smart enough to quit after two attempts rather than getting frustrated. :-)

anything that can be done like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eCzRcwXJE8&feature=g-hist can't be that hard right?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406
    Originally posted by Banquetto

anything that can be done like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eCzRcwXJE8&feature=g-hist can't be that hard right?

nice vid! :)

personally i thought the map was AMAZING

beated it after 2 hours :)