Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ram- How much is too much?

2»

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Kingston, corsair, asus are decent memory brands.
  • ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    7870 (670 if you must have nvidia or you live in a country where nvidia isn't overpriced, like it is here in UK)
    8gb of quality ddr3
    Mid range motherboard
    Quality hard disk
    Quality power supply with a 100w more than you need

Will last you a good 2 or 3 years (4 + with upgrades)

Sorry, misunderstood me...My pc is just fine, was asking which brand of RAM Quizzy would reccomend for it :)

EDIT: i see you posted some, thanks ! poking around in newegg

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738
    Originally posted by Mannish
    Originally posted by Cleffy

outspeccing your OS is too much.  Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium only supports 16GB, so getting 32GB would be a waste.

Getting more then your motherboard can support would also be too much.

Other then that, get as much as your budget can afford as long as its the highest speed your processor can support.

I did not know that Windows 7 64Bit Home Premium only supports 16GB. Thx for the info

Yeah I didn't know either but the price of ram... you might as well put whatever the motherboard can hold... I put 32g January 2011 cost me like $70 total per 16g stick.  What is it down to now... $20 for 64g lol?

I always find going at the beginning of the year is best because they put older products on clearance... the stuff that is really about as good as the expensive new stuff.  Get crazy deals.

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by Toxia
    Originally posted by gigat

...snip...

The stepping(or whatever its called) on my current ones are 8 8 8 24- Is this the standard we want nowadays/for my pc?

...snip

Those are the timings, and you probably don't need to worry about it.  You will probably only see a difference in timings with benchmarks and overclocking.  There are more important numbers that you need to pay attention to:  speed and capacity

The supported speed and capacity are determined by your motherboard, as well OS.

A quick google search of your motherboard model shows this on MSI's website:

• Supports four unbuffered DIMM of 1.5 Volt DDR3 1066/1333/1600*/1866*/2133*(OC) DRAM, 32GB Max

When you buy RAM for that motherboard, make sure you get DDR3 1066 or 1333. If you get faster than 1333, you will probably need to tweak something in BIOS (overclock) to run at the higher speed, otherwise the motherboard will run it at 1333.

Also, it looks like your motherboard supports 32GB max, so you're good there.

Last thing to watch for is the quality of the RAM.  Some manufacturers release "budget" memory, which is usually only good for mild web browsing and office use.  If you try to game with that memory, you'll probably run into problems.  You get what you pay for.

First i've heard of this! When i built my pc the first time around, Quiz said the 'sweet spot' for an i5 was ddr3 1600, so thats the speed i bought....

Thanks to everyone's suggestions, very informative and helpful !

So im going to look into 4 sticks of 4 gig ram, totaling 16. Plenty.

As is, my OS seems to run two of my 4 itself, games sometimes get real choppy, but alt tabbing out to use anything else on my pc? Slow as molasses.

Thats what got me inspecting my parts, something clearly wasnt right lol

Quiz is correct.  But if you get DDR3 1600, your motherboard might not run it at that speed out of the box.  It won't hurt anything if you get DDR3 1600.  If you happen to notice that your RAM isn't running faster than 1333 MHz, that's why!

As for recommendations, I would buy this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231490

G.SKILL is my RAM of choice, but there are many other great options out there.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    7870 (670 if you must have nvidia or you live in a country where nvidia isn't overpriced, like it is here in UK)
    8gb of quality ddr3
    Mid range motherboard
    Quality hard disk
    Quality power supply with a 100w more than you need

Will last you a good 2 or 3 years (4 + with upgrades)

Sorry, misunderstood me...My pc is just fine, was asking which brand of RAM Quizzy would reccomend for it :)

EDIT: i see you posted some, thanks ! poking around in newegg

To a considerable degree, you just buy what's cheap that day.  I'd have no problem with recommending Corsair, G.Skill, Kingston, Mushkin, or Crucial memory with a decent heatspreader on it if the price and specs are right.

Companies that sell memory modules don't make their own memory chips, with the exception of Crucial (which is the same company as Micron).  And even if you buy memory from Crucial, you don't necessarily get memory chips that they made themselves.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

Quiz is correct.  But if you get DDR3 1600, your motherboard might not run it at that speed out of the box.  It won't hurt anything if you get DDR3 1600.  If you happen to notice that your RAM isn't running faster than 1333 MHz, that's why!

That's basically two of the kit that I linked, but it costs more than 2 1/2 times as much.

If you've got a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge processor, it will run at 1600 MHz just fine, even if it doesn't officially support it.  If it's a Lynnfield processor, it may not due to a locked multiplier.  But you can buy 1600 MHz memory and run it at 1333 MHz with reduced latency timings (e.g., 1333 MHz and 9-9-9-27, or maybe even 8-8-8-24) and it will work fine.

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by Quizzical

That's basically two of the kit that I linked, but it costs more than 2 1/2 times as much.

If you've got a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge processor, it will run at 1600 MHz just fine, even if it doesn't officially support it.  If it's a Lynnfield processor, it may not due to a locked multiplier.  But you can buy 1600 MHz memory and run it at 1333 MHz with reduced latency timings (e.g., 1333 MHz and 9-9-9-27, or maybe even 8-8-8-24) and it will work fine.

I was looking at 32GB kits.  Didn't notice it would be cheaper to buy two 16GB kits..