Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I was going to buy...but now...

There sure is alot of bad feelings about SWG. I was going to buy it but not after browsing this forum. I think I'll wait for a free trial. I subscribe to Planetside and it was a free trial that sold me. As for SWG, it's a free trial first or forget getting my hard earned cash.

Sometimes you're the windshield....Sometimes you're the bug...

Sometimes you're the windshield....Sometimes you're the bug...

Comments

• RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

Video Game News.com have reviewed SWG here: SWG Review.

Despite not being a fan of SW or SWG and having absolutely NO intention of purchasing SWG, I was surprised that a self-confessed anti-MMOG player was allowed to review a MMOG of all things.

The reviewer's lack of MMOG experience was illustrated again and again and again throughout the review, especially with spending a paragraph on his disappointment about the poor racial selection. This was again illustrated by the frustration at having to travel vast distances in order to get to a POI [point of interest] - as most veteran MMOG players will know, this is a common complaint and a feature of most of the early MMOG's. I personally am undecided about this 'feature' - on one level it encourages players to actively know zones in order to traverse hostile lands, but on another level it is simply a lazy excuse to provide 'empty' content. For an ostensibly next generation MMOG, this criticism does need to be addressed and it will be interesting to see how other MMOG's deal with this issue.

The review of the mission structure within SWG was quite informative and I'd be interested to hear other opinions on whether SWG is 'newbie' friendly or whether there is a steep learning curve like EQ. I think it is becoming extremely important to allow newbies a hook into the game by providing a decent ingame tutorial to hold their hand whilst becoming familiar with the interface. Interestingly, there was no mention in the interview of the general interface and how easy or difficult it was to use ...

I thought the review got better towards the end when some objective journalism actually made an appearance, with the reviewer stressing the point that SWG is most definitely "work in progess" and released far, far too early.

My main criticism of the review was that after reading it I still fully do not know what SWG is actually like to play. How good is the game engine? What career paths can you follow? What are the trade skills like? Does the player market actually work? What is the interface like etc? I don't think this was a review but more somebody's first impressions.

Whilst I am aware of SWG's myriad defects I am still no nearer to understanding how SWG differs from other MMOG's.

If the review was indicative of the reviewing quality for that site than I am distinctly unimpressed. I do prefer to read the reviews of the UK version of Pc Zone. Lemme see if I can find one just purely to satisfy my own curiosity to understand what SWG is like as a MMOG.

Regards,
    Riotgirl

P.s. I still have NO intention of playing it mind you, but am prepared to have an open mind rather than bash it just to jump on the band wagon.

P.p.s Yes, what I have heard and read about SWG is pretty fuglee.

"she's like this cleavagey, slut-bomb walking around going 'oh, check me out. i'm wicked cool. i'm five by five'."

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."

• PLH2034PLH2034 Member Posts: 58

I'm not here to bash but...

I played SWG when released and the game was very buggy and incomplete.

I'm used to MMORPGs so I accepted those flaws and played through no matter how frustrated i got.

I'm not a big star wars fan, I mean I've seen each movie twice but I'm not as big a fan as others.

I quit because the game was boring, boring, boring.

The missions bored me. The hunting bored me. The story bored me. The Imp vs. Reb PvP bored me (GO IMPs!). The classes bored me.

What I did like about the game was the dancers in the cantina and my character a Combat Medic/Creature Handler.

Though I loved my character they killed the pride and joy I had in him because I was forced into the role of a crafter in order to be an effective healer. Being a healing class in any game is rough without SWG making you waste hours of your play time crafting medicine.

When I did the math and figured out that I spent 80% of my time preparing to heal as opposed to 20% of actual fun play time the decision was easy.

I'm not saying dont play it I'm saying It just wasn't fun to me. It was like a job.