Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Impact on EVE from Star Citizen?

Comments

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Eve is a game for the established, chances are it will lose more peons then anything. If you got so much power on eve, why bother leaving when your already secured?
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Very little. Eve is for hardcore full loot PvP, gankers, scammers and elitists and in fact has little to do with space ship sci-fi and from what I have read, Star Citizien will not be catering to those type of people but rather go for space sci-fi immersion.

You speak as though these were exclusive options. Why do any of these things preclude EVE from being "space ship sci-fi"? For instance, Alastair Reynolds' Revalation Space universe is most definitely "space ship sci fi" or if it isn't, nothing is, and the protagonists and characters in those books would fit right into your description of the population of New Eden.

PS Most of the people I encounter in EVE are really nice, helpful and kind. I sometimes wonder what I'm doing wrong when I read posts like yours.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• SentimeSentime Member UncommonPosts: 270

This game might push EVE devs to do more.  Especially with ship to ship combat.

If they do, it could be a great thing. 

• aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Originally posted by Sentime

This game might push EVE devs to do more.  Especially with ship to ship combat.

If they do, it could be a great thing. 

atm i see star citizen as a wakeup call for ccp. even though the game hasn't even been made yet we already have an idea of what will be in the game. not to mention its a b2p game which will even hurt ccp alot more. ccp still has a fighting chance since the game is still in the fund raising mode. so while that is happening they should take their time into doing something big. like installing the full walkin station features with the other side features into it. maybe install a portable capts quarter into the ship. whether we like it or not one of the concept we like in star citizen is that we don't just have an avatar. and this concept is def possible with eve online. other stuff besides walkin station can be added also. maybe a new docking area in personal pos. ccp still has lots of time to come out with these features. but as time passes it also comes closer. and i don't think they wanna take that for granted.

Originally posted by Thane

why do you thikn this game reminds you of eve?????

rather looks like wing commander to me. i dont see anything reminding me of eve but he setting

the social economy of the game is similar to eve + takes place in space. only diff between this game and eve is how the combat and ship controls will be. but overall the economy will be the same, and in actuall facts star citizens will have a more stronger realistic economy then eve. i remember them saying that u can attack another pilot while your docked or something. everyone who wishes to play online mode will be in 1 public server. you should read up on it some more

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Malcanis

Very little. Eve is for hardcore full loot PvP, gankers, scammers and elitists and in fact has little to do with space ship sci-fi and from what I have read, Star Citizien will not be catering to those type of people but rather go for space sci-fi immersion.

You speak as though these were exclusive options. Why do any of these things preclude EVE from being "space ship sci-fi"? For instance, Alastair Reynolds' Revalation Space universe is most definitely "space ship sci fi" or if it isn't, nothing is, and the protagonists and characters in those books would fit right into your description of the population of New Eden.

PS Most of the people I encounter in EVE are really nice, helpful and kind. I sometimes wonder what I'm doing wrong when I read posts like yours.

I have to agree, it seems some peoples perception of EVE varies wildly from mine.

The great thing about EVE is it's very easy to play an alternate game and still stay subbed so I expect many people to play both games.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Malcanis

I have to agree, it seems some peoples perception of EVE varies wildly from mine. The great thing about EVE is it's very easy to play an alternate game and still stay subbed so I expect many people to play both games.

this guys post just made me lol. he either hasn't read or watched the 1 hr video of robert explaining how there will be no rules to the player driven economy of the game. basically it will attract what eve has. scammers elitist and grievers etc... infract star citizen is going even more further then ccp because star citizen allows you to attack other pilots while you're not in ship. ccp already stated that they won't be implementing this type of feature. although they could easily have concord police patroll stations while you're docked up and walking around. 

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Nope

Besides EvE having a totally different focus and actually BEING a true mmo

It is a lot older, have a shit ton of more metagame than it could be possibly achieved by Star Citizen at its launch....

Star Citizen is more of a sequel to wing commander with some online-social components than anything else, just because both are set in Space you can't compare them...

Besides, their own future game World of Darkness have more chances of impacting EvE than Star Citizen any day

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Honestly I don't think it will have an impact on EVE for several reasons:

1. players that enjoy strategic/tactical combat (EVE) don't necessarily intersect with hardcore flight-sim fans (star citizen)

2. Star Citizen, while having an economy to manage, will not attract the hard core number-crunchers because the economic sim is very basic. (no word on crafting or mining directly)

3. Giving players full control over the movement of your ship attracts different skill-types than EVE. Conceivably, because someone is a better pilot, he could take down 2 or more enemies, meaning that piracy isn't as much of a "sure win by ship-type/equipment" like in EVE. (its the same way Black Prophecy didn't have an impact on EVE)

4. Large-scale engagements (aka 100+ ships) will be rare and don't need as much strategy (no warping in reinforcements once the instance fills up)

5. Core EVE players have factions, reputation, and wealth built up that will be hard to "sacrifice" for a completely new start

So mostly I think that the EVE crowd isn't really going to be that interested in SC beyond a casual play on solo.

SC is about providing a home for flight-sim fans that currently have no home online (after the fiascos that were BP, Jumpgate: Evolution and Taikodom).

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Impossible to say really, but I can't see it having any real impact at all.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

ive played eve and the combat  is dull  not what i wanted from a space sim

you cant tell me anyone who playes elite dosent want to fly somthing like a x-wing or tie fighter

basicaly what i want   is  multiplayer elite

star citizen appers  to be  what ive been waiting for just hope they can pull it off

and if they do  then i seriously think that eve will have a problem  but its all content  dependent like others have said   its likly   to not even be  10% of what hey said  so we will have to wait and see

Originally posted by zimboy69

ive played eve and the combat  is dull  not what i wanted from a space sim

you cant tell me anyone who playes elite dosent want to fly somthing like a x-wing or tie fighter

basicaly what i want   is  multiplayer elite

star citizen appers  to be  what ive been waiting for just hope they can pull it off

and if they do  then i seriously think that eve will have a problem  but its all content  dependent like others have said   its likly   to not even be  10% of what hey said  so we will have to wait and see

yups only time will tell. but for the mean time i do hope that ccp takes this as a wakeup call and start working towards really making eve what it can be and not what it is. just like obama said, his plans are to benefit the future of eve not whats going to happen today or tomorrow :)

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

none impact of Eve

They are two different  sci-fi space bassed games

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by Hokie
    Originally posted by aligada87
    btw i'm curious. what happends to the people who donated money into this game and then for some bad reason the game couldnt be finished and it was scratched. or like worst case scenarios the game got an extended release date by 2-3 yrs?

Nothing happens, you lose your money. You are not an investor, you have no legal recourse. That is a donation you gave.

They arnt even obligated to use the full amount money donated in the development of the game. For all we know it could be 10% of every dollar donated goes to development and the other 90% could be going to administrative costs.

Not saying they are doing that, but there is no real protection for the donaters, or would that be donaties, from being, well more or less scammed.

I don't think it is a scam, this is the guy who created wing commander.  If he scam's folks nobody will ever give him the light of day again.  Once they get there 2 million up front from players, they have an investor in place who is going to invest a boatload of cash, they just needed to prove they could raise the cash, and well they are close.

As far as have an impact on eve, I don't think so.  Eve players are hard core, they are not just about to give up on a game/economy.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

no impact at all..

Eve is an MMORPG set in space..

Star Citizen is mainly a single player game set in space with a MP option similar to freelancer. So people can run their own servers the freelancer game could have maybe upto 128 players or somthing like that so this will be very similar..

So yeah 0 impact on eve as they are different types of games..

Taken from the offial faq

Is Star Citizen an MMO?

No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience.

I will be backnig this for sure i loved the wing commander series of games :)

Originally posted by Caldrin

no impact at all..

Eve is an MMORPG set in space..

Star Citizen is mainly a single player game set in space with a MP option similar to freelancer. So people can run their own servers the freelancer game could have maybe upto 128 players or somthing like that so this will be very similar..

So yeah 0 impact on eve as they are different types of games..

Taken from the offial faq

Is Star Citizen an MMO?

No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience.

I will be backnig this for sure i loved the wing commander series of games :)

he also stated that he will be releasing 1 public server similar to eve for people who wants to play online and not just solo or group of friends.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I am sure they hosted their own servers for freelancer as well but it did not make it an MMO...

Stil its a lnog way off so we will ahve to wati and see.. i dont see CCP needing to worry about it.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    I must admit that i will quit Eve if this game is good. It looks better for my taste if all this things become true. Best gaming of my life was with Wing Commander and it is dream for me to play mmo like that. 
    Originally posted by Caldrin

I am sure they hosted their own servers for freelancer as well but it did not make it an MMO...

Stil its a lnog way off so we will ahve to wati and see.. i dont see CCP needing to worry about it.

he also stated that he didn't want to call it an mmo because he didn't want people thinking it was a subscription game. he said that when people here mmo they think subs. 

btw just saw the comment of yours "still its a long way off so we will have to wait and see... i dont see ccp needing to worry about it." that attitude is bad towards buisness industries. you always take every competitor seriously. i hope ccp does worry about this and push eve to its limit to where it will be the most epic sci-fi space mmo there is.eve can do alot more mostly with the dust514 feature. they just need to push it

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376
    Originally posted by aligada87
    btw i'm curious. what happends to the people who donated money into this game and then for some bad reason the game couldnt be finished and it was scratched. or like worst case scenarios the game got an extended release date by 2-3 yrs?

Nothing happens, you lose your money. You are not an investor, you have no legal recourse. That is a donation you gave.

They arnt even obligated to use the full amount money donated in the development of the game. For all we know it could be 10% of every dollar donated goes to development and the other 90% could be going to administrative costs.

Not saying they are doing that, but there is no real protection for the donaters, or would that be donaties, from being, well more or less scammed.

Yes, Chris Roberts personally divised his diabolic masterful scheme in 2000.

He would go off the grid for 12 years, working on a fake piece of software that under the highest scrutiny would look like a pre-alpha real-time demo of a highly ambitious engine and game.

At this point, in 2012, he would present that piece of software to the internet and start a kickstarter to scam 2 million dollars from honest, law abiding citizens.

pleeeeaaaaaaase.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

Will the idea of a game like have any impacet on EVE?

No, it wont. It will have absolutley zero impact on EVE, zero.

It just an idea that is relying on people to give them millions of dollars with no legal obligation to even provide milestone updates, or prove that they are even working on it.

Ideas are easy,

Implementaion is hard,

Success is nigh impossible.

Obviously you don't know who Chris Ropberts is. And obviously you are a die hard EVE fan boy.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Shodanas

Will the idea of a game like have any impacet on EVE?

No, it wont. It will have absolutley zero impact on EVE, zero.

It just an idea that is relying on people to give them millions of dollars with no legal obligation to even provide milestone updates, or prove that they are even working on it.

Ideas are easy,

Implementaion is hard,

Success is nigh impossible.

Obviously you don't know who Chris Ropberts is. And obviously you are a die hard EVE fan boy.

Yes what kind of fool can't admit that a kickstarter proposal for a singleplayer game will obviously kill a 10 year old still-growing MMO

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251

I don't think star citizen will impact eve in a major way, it will impact minor numbers(all sci fi games do, we are not catered too as much as the elf/dragon slaying crowd, so we do move around when something new comes around, hell even STO effected eve, at least for week till we saw what it was)

Honestly I quit eve for sins of a solar empire(since it didn't make me fly a frigate in massive corperation zergs)

Will it effect eve, yes, in a minor way with some numbers dipping here and there, but I think both will be fine for what they are.

• jagd1jagd1 Member Posts: 281

Bold claims especially while big per cent of eve players living in empire and/or  doing misisons and/or mostly offline training skills .Also there are a lot of players excatly wanted things like star citizen ,can i command ship is  first question asked about eve .

It may or may not effect eve , it depends to design .

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

None.

They have nothing in common except both being sci-fi.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville