Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wished setting were time of Bilbo, not LOTR

The beauty of Middle Earth, for me at least, came from reading The Hobbit.  Seemed the world was full of mystery and adventure.  The LOTR, however, seemed grim, dark, a real downer.  I think it would have been nicer had they set the background for this new game in the earlier times of Middle Earth and not the "end of the world (or the age)", so to speak.

Comments

• ArianrhodArianrhod Member Posts: 4

While I greatly preferred the trilogy to The Hobbit, I find I agree in terms of suitability for a game setting. The time in which The Hobbit was set was one in which there were plentiful opportunities for adventure (as opposed to instant death, which is the feel through most of the trilogy - going into enemy territory is generally agreed to be suicidal), and it was quite possible for one humble hobbit (or band of adventurers) to change the course of history by doings which might seem small at the time.

• tallsmartmantallsmartman Member Posts: 53

I think for an MMORPG the time period of middle earth that was chosen was the best. But from my understanding, there will still be places of peace in the world so folk who think such as you, will still have fun. Also, more people (that I know) prefer that time period.

Of course I would wrather they start at a time and progress daily. Of course that wouldn't make for a moving story line, basically at all. But if each day was like a week or month in Middle earth, that might draw in more subscribers. A non-moving storyline is another one of the things which I didn't like about SWG. Which is based on a story. No MMORPG based on a book or movie will reach it's full potential if there is not some sort of moving plot for the whole world.

Of course these are all my opinions...

• Otto_ManicOtto_Manic Member Posts: 202

I have to disagree with you on most of what you said, man. I'm feeling what the original poster said. The period before the LOTR setting was a lot more... adventurous and there was more of a sense of wonder about the Middle Earth at that time. LOTR is basically all about the War of the Shadow, without much else going on. While I'm sure that there was plenty of menial things going on at the time, the entire world and all its peoples (with the exception of the blissfully ignorant little Hobbits) were either gearing up for, or involved in the war. While this makes for a decent setting, I would much rather explore throughout an unspoiled Middle Earth - rather then a Middle Earth torn by war. I think it would have been much cooler if they'd started with the Hobbit Era, then released LOTR expansions later on in the game.

However, a day here being a day there (storyline-wise) would be perfect, IMO. I think it would give more time to interact and react with what was going on in the story, rather than logging out with the Fellowship nearing Moria, having to work late the next day and coming back to find Gandalf fallen and the Company already in Lorien. image

I'm not by any means saying that I don't think the game will be awesome. I think it'll be pretty good, if it ever does come out. I remain doubtful of that. image

Otto!

I'm looking for some friends that I lost contact with over the years...

EQ: Horlain (Firiona Vie)
    DAOC: Kaizur (Guinevere)

• DevoraanDevoraan Member Posts: 23

Originally posted by tallsmartman

I think for an MMORPG the time period of middle earth that was chosen was the best. But from my understanding, there will still be places of peace in the world so folk who think such as you, will still have fun. Also, more people (that I know) prefer that time period.
    Of course I would wrather they start at a time and progress daily. Of course that wouldn't make for a moving story line, basically at all. But if each day was like a week or month in Middle earth, that might draw in more subscribers. A non-moving storyline is another one of the things which I didn't like about SWG. Which is based on a story. No MMORPG based on a book or movie will reach it's full potential if there is not some sort of moving plot for the whole world.
    Of course these are all my opinions...

i completely agree, if every 2 weeks, they got through 1 complete novel, the story would move a bit, then they could start over after 6 weeks!image  that might work, but i dont think it will happen, SWG died cause of it bein a movie, and all u did was gain skills cash and badges and. . . NO MOVING STORYLINE!!!  also, the hobbit was not only easier to read then the other 1s, it was more interesting.

DWARVES 4 EVA!!!

foodchain of middle earth: dwarves, humans, hobbits, elves
    IMO

• DarktaniaDarktania Member Posts: 805
      I agree with you 100%. The Hobbit revealed the beauty of Middle Earth. After reading the Hobbit I dreamt of exploring Middle Earth and discovering it's different cultures.

• SlagggSlaggg Member Posts: 221

For sure.  And even during the early bits of FotR, till the attempt of the Pass of Carhadras (sp?), before things got so weighty all you cared about was seeing the folk live to see a new day.

You know if Sony/Lucasarts, whomever was responsible, had taken more time to see that the Galactic Civil War bits that were promised actually worked, SWG would probably be a MUCH more lively game.  There's huge storyline possibilities there.

I think one thing we have on our side here, is that the Tolkien Estate is an influence.  For some bits, their hand may get too heavy, but in others I think it could actually serve well.  If the Estate can see to it that the storyline within the game follows the logical progression of the books, we could actually see some movement in elements.  *fingers crossed* 

"First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me...Blow."--Ash, "Army of Darkness"

• ironoreironore Member CommonPosts: 957

why not set it way back in at least the 2nd age.  There were tons of things going on then.  The Numenoreans were still exploring and populating middle earth and there were tons of other cultures running around.  Then there are so many events that could actually HAPPEN as the game progressed through thousands of years in an accelerated form of course.  I mean, at one time the dwarves were living in moria and it was a grand place.  Later the balrog could come and it would become a loathsome dungeon.  Same thing would happen at Erebor untill the dragon Smaug came.  Then there was the great war between the dwarves and the orcs.  Also, since people like elves so well they could play in those times when the elves roamed freely about middle earth.  In the latter third-age they would find themselves with fewer and fewer safe havens.  Men would fight their wars and the Sauron would try to spread darkness and be beaten back again and again, as happened throughout the second age.  ALso the witchking set up a kingdom in angmar and laid waste to the north kingdoms.  These would make for very exciting events and if the world was already in place, it would only take a little rescripting here and there and changes in the NPC spawns/amounts.

Everyone is so fixed on covering the story in the books, but there is so much MORE to it then that.  Sure it is a great story, but Tolkien really set out to create a detailed WORLD based around language and culture.  He began to create that WORLD long before he even thought of hobbits.

I would much rather play in that entire world and explore it's geography and history and mystery over time instead of being stuck in the war of the ring.  It was a great story, but as a game there could be a lot more to it.

IronOre - Forging the Future

I'm with you on that one, as I'm sure a few others may be.  But the unfortunate fact is that so many players will be coming from a perspective of the movies.  Mention Beren or Doriath or Melkor to them and you'll likely get a image.   It just wouldn't interest em. 

"First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me...Blow."--Ash, "Army of Darkness"

Well, you are talking first age there brother, and I agree that would be a bit much (tho I would like it).  I was leaning more on the second age.  People know from the movies who Isildur is, how they were fighting SAURON in the last alliance of elves and men.  Elrond was there, and people know who he is.  Dwarves in Moria was no longer a reality by the time of the war of the ring, but I think movie-based players could understand and even embrace it.  The Witch-King is well known and many might find it interesting that it was mainly his work that destroyed the northern kingdom that Isildur was returning to with the ring that caused the fall of that civilization and sent Aragorn's ancestors into exile as the Dunadain rangers.  People with no knowledge of the background story would still be in the basic parts of middle earth that they could understand, but there would just be so much more content.  They could see the events that led to gondor being a high civilization, and then live there.   They could fight against MORDOR repeatedly, and see the fine tower of MINAS ITHIL fall and become the dreadful MINAS MORGUL.  They might even like to see these great events.  The wars that led to the ROHAN alliance with GONDOR.    In time it could come down to the war of the ring.  

I just don't see the point of focusing on the 2 years of the movie story that mainly followed a party of 9 people that spent most of the time alone in the vast wilderness, so they couldn't accurately have any bearing on the daily game-experience of the vast majority of players.

Does this make sense?

• cromulentcromulent Member Posts: 20

Originally posted by ironore
    Well, you are talking first age there brother, and I agree that would be a bit much (tho I would like it).  I was leaning more on the second age.  People know from the movies who Isildur is, how they were fighting SAURON in the last alliance of elves and men.  Elrond was there, and people know who he is.  Dwarves in Moria was no longer a reality by the time of the war of the ring, but I think movie-based players could understand and even embrace it.  The Witch-King is well known and many might find it interesting that it was mainly his work that destroyed the northern kingdom that Isildur was returning to with the ring that caused the fall of that civilization and sent Aragorn's ancestors into exile as the Dunadain rangers.  People with no knowledge of the background story would still be in the basic parts of middle earth that they could understand, but there would just be so much more content.  They could see the events that led to gondor being a high civilization, and then live there.   They could fight against MORDOR repeatedly, and see the fine tower of MINAS ITHIL fall and become the dreadful MINAS MORGUL.  They might even like to see these great events.  The wars that led to the ROHAN alliance with GONDOR.    In time it could come down to the war of the ring.  
    I just don't see the point of focusing on the 2 years of the movie story that mainly followed a party of 9 people that spent most of the time alone in the vast wilderness, so they couldn't accurately have any bearing on the daily game-experience of the vast majority of players.
    Does this make sense?

but what if our actions COULD have some effect. That would be neat. What if there are a bunch of quests that have to be completed by players in order for the ring to be destroyed by Frodo? Maybe the Eagles have been captured and enslaved by the goblins of the misty mountains and if they are never released, Gandalf is never freed from Orthanc or the Eagles never fight at the gates of Mordor. (This would be an epic level quest that would simply need to be completed once for the ring to be destroyed even though it could be completed over and over by anyone. If these quests werent completed during the course of the story the game ends with civilization being destroyed and they start over. Information could be released to the players giving them an idea, in general of what areas the Free People failed in, and the process would start over, The quests themselves could be changed from game to game. Hey I can dream can't I?::::12::

Originally posted by ironore

Does this make sense?

Perfect sense, and I'm right there with you.  So little is spelled out about that time.  It's all inferences, and songs and whispered myths.  Would be awesome to stroll around in that period.  Plus, it could really give the Dev's some serious lee-way to create story content.  Just stick to the basics that have been revealed and go from there.

Yeah! And there is nothing that says they have to fit it exactly to the time-line.   When a great war comes up as described in the histories, the players would still have to take action here and there and gain a certain number of victories before things would progress.  Otherwise it might drag on to a certain point and then move on anyway, but perhaps with some decimation of the players and their property as a bit of incentive for next time, even though the right side wins acording to the record.  You might say that this makes it so that the battle always turns out in a predictable way, but from the individual stand-point you could progress and become a participant in the action or simply a bystander, even though the war might turn out the same, maybe your hometown is LOST in the process if you don't fight.  Sure some cities would be doomed to fall, but there is much glory to be gained in fighting the good fight, and you might still survive the downfall and be sung in the songs.  There is personal acheivement all along the way.  It could all progress over the years of the game and cover ALL the times that everyone would ever want to play in, and in this way there would always be something to look forward to.  It could even go into the 4th age a bit, but by then I am sure they would be ready to create a newer game (the content could easily fill 4-7 years) and start all over again with better features, more realistic physics engines, better graphics and the works.  With so much history and such a vast world, you could play it all over again in a completely different area and have a completly different experience.