Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG digital download store...

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

I don't know... selling the games you review seems kind of strange.

http://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways.cfm/offer/385/MMORPGcom-Store-10-Off-Coupons-for-Diablo-3-Mists-of-Pandaria-USEU.html

Any thoughts on this?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Comments

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

I don't know... selling the games you review seems kind of strange.

http://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways.cfm/offer/385/MMORPGcom-Store-10-Off-Coupons-for-Diablo-3-Mists-of-Pandaria-USEU.html

Any thoughts on this?

I tend to agree that it feels a bit "off" so to speak.  I don't feel quite the same way as I do gamestop and their game magazine reviewing games and selling them.  I'm not sure why I'm less ok with one than the other, maybe it has something to do with the fact that you have to pay for the gamestop magazine that reviews the games that you can then buy from them.  Mayb its just an extra level of ugh.

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257

I wouldn't say so. Its a MMORPG website ofc they will review games and sell them. Its how they make money, infact we should be thankful for it otherwise we wouldn't have the website. :)

But I can understand how it might sound strange but its money is money, sadly.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    this is not even legal . why sell steam games here by using steam name ? this seems to me some kind of scam .
  • SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by lotaparty
    this is not even legal . why sell steam games here by using steam name ? this seems to me some kind of scam .

LOL- No its not a scam- Its a "kickback"... Like linking to Amazon and getting a small % of sales.

Nothing underhanded. Conflict of interest? Perhaps. Review effecting? Probably. But who honestly trusts the reviews here (no offence mmorpg) anyhow? Its still the best site for discussion but we all must keep in mind how money (via advertising or other ways) will always trump "reality" for any buisness.

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    Why do people think that everything is about money?

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by Zadawn

-Because it kinda is....

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

Because it is. You must be one of those people that thinks the world does not revolve around money when in reality it does. This isnt the 1800's were people do things out of the likeness of their hearts. Were just not in those times anymore. Even free stuff cost some sort of money or kickback. Just look at every f2p game. Sure it's free to play, but not free to enjoy.

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

It's almost as if..... as if... this business is trying to generate revenue. THIS. IS. INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

It means they've contracted with gamesrocket.com to provide a mmorpg.com named link to the gamesrocket.com game selling website. It also means they get a small percentage of any purchase made on those linked web pages. If you want, you can think of it as contracted referral link.

I would think the europeans would be loving this since it's a tie-in from an american website to a european business. Looking at the comments above all the critical ones are from people in the supposedly capitalistic U.S.A.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

And now everyone knows about the reason behind all the super positive reviews about everything.

For that reason alone, I would never, ever spend even one cent to buy a product through this site.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Originally posted by Grunty

It means they've contracted with gamesrocket.com to provide a mmorpg.com named link to the gamesrocket.com game selling website. It also means they get a small percentage of any purchase made on those linked web pages. If you want, you can think of it as contracted referral link.

I would think the europeans would be loving this since it's a tie-in from an american website to a european business. Looking at the comments above all the critical ones are from people in the supposedly capitalistic U.S.A.

I don't think you fully understand capitalism from your comments.

The absolute beauty of our system is that it allows companies to do exactly this (it's obviously legal...) and it allows the consumers to decide the the behavior is appropriate.

In the past, there has been much debate about the appropriateness of all the adds placed on a site that is reviewing those same games.  Now we have gone a step further and actively profit from sales.

So I don't know personally...  in a perfect world obviously this shouldn't happen.  But recently the site owner has said that ad-blockers were costing him a lot of money and this placed the site in jeopardy.  This is my favorite MMO site, so I guess I can live with it as an exchange for the (literally) thousand of hours of fun I have had on here but it will obviously cast a shadow of suspicion on articles and reviews.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• senadinsenadin Member UncommonPosts: 247

Originally posted by Jorl
    I wouldn't say so. Its a MMORPG website ofc they will review games and sell them. Its how they make money, infact we should be thankful for it otherwise we wouldn't have the website. :)But I can understand how it might sound strange but its money is money, sadly.

Uh no! They have been around for years and the store is another way to make money/revenue. Just like half or so of the website real estate is for advertising. Do i blame them? not fully but I do find it annoying to have all those ads. It's becoming too intrusive of the articles in my opinion.

• PeekaybooPeekayboo Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Don't buy a game from gamesrocket.com is you can help it, They ask for

1. A legible scan or photo of your ID card of your passport
    2. The completed verification form as photo or scan
    3. A picture of you together with your ID card or passport (your face and ID must be visible
    next to each other on the photo).

And only reply in copy and paste emails
  • halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

Lol this guy!! what are you a hippie?  but hey even they need money.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

mmorpg.com is not selling anything, it is sold by gamesrocket.com. This site only provides discount vouchers, same way they provide beta keys, etc..

What a fail thread.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Money Talks, Gamers Walk !

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • PeekaybooPeekayboo Member UncommonPosts: 4
    I bought 3 copies of diablo from gamesrocket yesterday still haven't gotten them yet and they should be called the Games Gestapo

For security reasons, it is necessary that you send us an email to

[email protected] containing the following:

1. A legible scan or photo of your ID card of your passport

2. The completed verification form as photo or scan

3. A picture of you together with your ID card or passport (your face and ID must be visible

next to each other on the photo).