Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SV to beg for more money part 2

Comments

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by Saunakiller
    Originally posted by YojimboBimbo
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    I don't see the big deal.  A struggling game has players willing to pay more to keep it running.

No,,, Its not quite so simple as that nor so 'black and white'-

Its more like a struggling Corporation- One traded on the Stock Exchange- Begging for Charity.

-But its even worse than that. Its a Corporation who constantly uses the "small team" excuse- Even things as simple as updating the playerbase or their website are excused by "We are a small team and cannot take the time out of our busy day to update the community"-

So, they are such a small team that updating the Forum is a challenge- YET they are going to take manhours to implement something which will only benefit those who "donate" more $$$ to an already bottomless pit.

Remember, this is the same Corporation which STOLE the EULA from Eve Online and left it uop there for over a year but didnt even change the name (i.e. It actually said that you could be banned from EVE ONLINE in the MO EULA)...This is the same Corporation which has used every shady and underhanded tactic in the book.

-This is NOT your friendly neighborhood dev asking for a bit of help. This is an overpriced and bug ridden MMO which uses the small team excuse to explain why Bug fixing is slow, Updates slow, patches slow, things still not working properly from beta, etc, etc... This is a CORPORATION who chargews more money for their beta state game (2 years after release) and is now asking for Charity and handouts (which they will actually put their "small team" on creating rewards for this "charity")

-So on the surface what you say is correct- But given the History here there are MANY factors to be taken into account .

Well it was actually MOs players that came up with the idea to donate money for the good of MO. And ofc they will be able to get things fixed faster and new content will come faster as well, cause they could hire some freelance programmer or whatever to speed things up even more. Ofc this will boil down to how much they will recive. And noone is forcing any1 to pay. If you don't wanna donate, then don't. Quite simple rly.

And you clearly have no clue about MOs state as of now when you say they patch slowly. After Awakening theyve patched more then ever before, and current state of the game is better then it has ever been. Sure there are still alot to be fixed, and I hope that this donation will speed things up even more. 

SV has actually already said that they most likely won't be able to hire an extra dev with these funds.  When asked how extra money would speed up development, they actually refused to comment.  I used a have a pal on the their team and from some of the things I was told, they won't be hiring devs anytime soon.  

Rly? Can you link the thread to where they say that they won't hire more peeps if they get the founding for it. I think Henrik even mentioned in Diphraels Unofficial Patchnotes thread, that the reason they can't hire more programmers etc is the lack of money. This would bring them more money, and they could hire more peeps. Even for a short time this be good for MO.

Then why not do it on Kickstarter where they would be held to a goal? Dude this is the same company which stole Eve Onlines EULA image

-And you trust this 'for profit corporation' to use your 'donations' properly??? Donations lolz.

Its a guarentee that this will take Dev time away from bug fixing/content... There is NO guarentee this will add any devs (which would be quite expensive) and in fact knowing they are running in the negatives (negative monthly income) it can be almost CERTAIN this takes time away from bug fix/content for everyone and adds nothing in return (for the player)-

EDIT: Again, why are they asking for "donations" when a restructure of the Corporation has not happened yet? Things have been spiraling downword since day 1 and the CEO is still there getting paid and now wanting donations -image For his "FOR PROFIT" Corporation .

• YojimboBimboYojimboBimbo Member Posts: 162
    Will check when I get home for link, but if you think $5 or $10 donations from the 50 -80 ppl playing MO are going to be enough to pay for developers, then you must be naive. That is assuming half of them even donate, then you have to take other factors into account such as an actual month to month salary and labor laws in that particular country. Those laws are part of the reason SV is in the position it is in. It isnt as easy as hiring some kid for the weekend. Donations are gonna pay for someones yearly salary? If their monthly subs are unable to somewhat sustain the company, donations wont help. Get real.
  • SaunakillerSaunakiller Member Posts: 57
    I don't see the big deal.  A struggling game has players willing to pay more to keep it running.

Its more like a struggling Corporation- One traded on the Stock Exchange- Begging for Charity.

-But its even worse than that. Its a Corporation who constantly uses the "small team" excuse- Even things as simple as updating the playerbase or their website are excused by "We are a small team and cannot take the time out of our busy day to update the community"-

So, they are such a small team that updating the Forum is a challenge- YET they are going to take manhours to implement something which will only benefit those who "donate" more $$$ to an already bottomless pit.

Remember, this is the same Corporation which STOLE the EULA from Eve Online and left it uop there for over a year but didnt even change the name (i.e. It actually said that you could be banned from EVE ONLINE in the MO EULA)...This is the same Corporation which has used every shady and underhanded tactic in the book.

-This is NOT your friendly neighborhood dev asking for a bit of help. This is an overpriced and bug ridden MMO which uses the small team excuse to explain why Bug fixing is slow, Updates slow, patches slow, things still not working properly from beta, etc, etc... This is a CORPORATION who chargews more money for their beta state game (2 years after release) and is now asking for Charity and handouts (which they will actually put their "small team" on creating rewards for this "charity")

-So on the surface what you say is correct- But given the History here there are MANY factors to be taken into account .

Well it was actually MOs players that came up with the idea to donate money for the good of MO. And ofc they will be able to get things fixed faster and new content will come faster as well, cause they could hire some freelance programmer or whatever to speed things up even more. Ofc this will boil down to how much they will recive. And noone is forcing any1 to pay. If you don't wanna donate, then don't. Quite simple rly.

And you clearly have no clue about MOs state as of now when you say they patch slowly. After Awakening theyve patched more then ever before, and current state of the game is better then it has ever been. Sure there are still alot to be fixed, and I hope that this donation will speed things up even more. 

Sv is running in the negatives each month- before anyone could be hired (remember the team is actually much smaller due to cuts) they first need to break even.

Now, any monies recieved from this scam...er...ploy- will be used to take care of outstanding obligations and the odds of anything being left is pretty slim.

Outsourcing programers just doesnt cut it- Awakening ran what, 8 months past schedule with 2 months of silence from the Devs and CEO on the Official Forums? And the state it released in (8 months late) was shameful.

The descisions made at the helm of Sv have been consistantly terrible and rather than replacing him and having a chance of saving the game and the investors (shareholders) money- The controling interests (daddy Warbucks) let his son steer this ship into the rocks...And still wont "pull" him-

Incompetence doesnt even begin to express the utter failure of SV- And now they are asking donations???

-Anyhow the "state " the game is in now is debatable and admittedly I havnt tested in a few weeks.

But no, donations will not speed anything up and will actually slow things down. Period... team too small to upxdate Forum, lol- Throw a few bucks at em-

Sry, but I won't take your words in this case as facts, as any1 that follows these threads knows you do nothing here but try to discredit SV and MO whenever you get a chance. And don't worry, you don't have to pay a dime. Since it's a donation. You can keep writing how much SV suck etc here. You even will have more to write about now. You should be happy. It's a winwin for both the once that love MO and those that hate it. :)

I will, thanks image

-Since you have read some of my threads/posts can you tell me what you thought of the success rate of my "predictions"? Its near 100% and no mystical powers needed.

If you call "Hype and Lie" on any SV announcment of whats "coming soon" you will be 100% right... If they say "revolutinary gameplay and no moar placeholders" and you say "buggy broken mess with placeholders" you will be 100% right. If Sv says "tested" and you say "wont work for weeks" you too will be 100% right.

Would be neat to have "statistics" attached to our profiles since we have these little spats every time Sv annonces something or has an upcomiing Xpac- So far my % rate is pretty fucking high as SV never lets me down in voting for failure.

-But yes, by all means "donate" to a for profit corporation whos CEO has plundered its assets and ran it into the ground . I am fully a believer in the saying "a fool and his money are soon parted" and "theres a sucker born every minite"

-BUT I will continue to discuss this Corporation and its incompetent CEO and inept dev team. This is a discussion forum after all- And damn, I want my statistic idea implemented.

EDIT- Here is a thread I made in August about my awakening predictions (prior to release) and the responses from MO fans telling me how dumb I was http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/359143/YE-OLDE-AWAKENING-MEGA-THREAD.html - So dont trust ME, my Posts and threads are time stamped. =P

There is more, just a quick example..

Do you mean this "My prdiction is this: Awakening is a total mess and has less than 1/4 of the promised content working. SV cannot make Tindrum any diffrent from any of their other towns and cities and there is really no hope in fixing any f this so SV are on Vaction again. Awakening will be released in September and will be the final nail in the coffen. Half finished, buggy and bringing more prtoblems than it fixes. The game will be ded by Christmas and SV knows it. Awakening will be released in the State it is in currently, they just want as many people to continue subbing and kow once this is released it is over"?

Well Tindrem sure different then the other cities in alot of ways. It has more or less everything that the other cities have combined. And soon the arena will open for every1 to use, and make bets on fights etc. So even if your wrong, you will be even more wrong once the arena opens. Awakening isn't the final nail in the coffen. The game as I said earlier is in a better state then ever. Most bugs etc that came with Awakening has been delt with with the regular patching from SV. It had alot of problems, but even SV said it would be a bumpy start, but they also said they were prepared for it and ready to fix it ASAP, and that they have. Christmas is almost here and even though DFUW is coming soon, it won't take enough peeps from MO to go under. But we will have to wait and see. I think we will be able to login to Nave past christmas. 

So I don't think your THAT good. Your OK. No more. No less. ;)

Sv is running in the negatives each month- before anyone could be hired (remember the team is actually much smaller due to cuts) they first need to break even.

Now, any monies recieved from this scam...er...ploy- will be used to take care of outstanding obligations and the odds of anything being left is pretty slim.

Outsourcing programers just doesnt cut it- Awakening ran what, 8 months past schedule with 2 months of silence from the Devs and CEO on the Official Forums? And the state it released in (8 months late) was shameful.

The descisions made at the helm of Sv have been consistantly terrible and rather than replacing him and having a chance of saving the game and the investors (shareholders) money- The controling interests (daddy Warbucks) let his son steer this ship into the rocks...And still wont "pull" him-

Incompetence doesnt even begin to express the utter failure of SV- And now they are asking donations???

-Anyhow the "state " the game is in now is debatable and admittedly I havnt tested in a few weeks.

But no, donations will not speed anything up and will actually slow things down. Period... team too small to upxdate Forum, lol- Throw a few bucks at em-

Sry, but I won't take your words in this case as facts, as any1 that follows these threads knows you do nothing here but try to discredit SV and MO whenever you get a chance. And don't worry, you don't have to pay a dime. Since it's a donation. You can keep writing how much SV suck etc here. You even will have more to write about now. You should be happy. It's a winwin for both the once that love MO and those that hate it. :)

I will, thanks image

-Since you have read some of my threads/posts can you tell me what you thought of the success rate of my "predictions"? Its near 100% and no mystical powers needed.

If you call "Hype and Lie" on any SV announcment of whats "coming soon" you will be 100% right... If they say "revolutinary gameplay and no moar placeholders" and you say "buggy broken mess with placeholders" you will be 100% right. If Sv says "tested" and you say "wont work for weeks" you too will be 100% right.

Would be neat to have "statistics" attached to our profiles since we have these little spats every time Sv annonces something or has an upcomiing Xpac- So far my % rate is pretty fucking high as SV never lets me down in voting for failure.

-But yes, by all means "donate" to a for profit corporation whos CEO has plundered its assets and ran it into the ground . I am fully a believer in the saying "a fool and his money are soon parted" and "theres a sucker born every minite"

-BUT I will continue to discuss this Corporation and its incompetent CEO and inept dev team. This is a discussion forum after all- And damn, I want my statistic idea implemented.

EDIT- Here is a thread I made in August about my awakening predictions (prior to release) and the responses from MO fans telling me how dumb I was http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/359143/YE-OLDE-AWAKENING-MEGA-THREAD.html - So dont trust ME, my Posts and threads are time stamped. =P

Do you mean this "My prdiction is this: Awakening is a total mess and has less than 1/4 of the promised content working. SV cannot make Tindrum any diffrent from any of their other towns and cities and there is really no hope in fixing any f this so SV are on Vaction again. Awakening will be released in September and will be the final nail in the coffen. Half finished, buggy and bringing more prtoblems than it fixes. The game will be ded by Christmas and SV knows it. Awakening will be released in the State it is in currently, they just want as many people to continue subbing and kow once this is released it is over"?

Well Tindrem sure different then the other cities in alot of ways. It has more or less everything that the other cities have combined. And soon the arena will open for every1 to use, and make bets on fights etc. So even if your wrong, you will be even more wrong once the arena opens. Awakening isn't the final nail in the coffen. The game as I said earlier is in a better state then ever. Most bugs etc that came with Awakening has been delt with with the regular patching from SV. It had alot of problems, but even SV said it would be a bumpy start, but they also said they were prepared for it and ready to fix it ASAP, and that they have. Christmas is almost here and even though DFUW is coming soon, it won't take enough peeps from MO to go under. But we will have to wait and see. I think we will be able to login to Nave past christmas. 

LOL- Okay agreed. I am not quite as good as I like to portray =D

-And yeah, I know now that MO will  be here past Christmas- Its like the Zombie that continues to get back up even after its been knocked down the stairs and beaten with a pipe. Like jason from friday the 13th- Predicting the time of its true death is impossible since just when you think its over.... BAM fucker gets up and grabs your leg and drags you under the bed =O

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by FastSloth

This makes me wonder if I can get my own group of mentally retarded group of geese that lay golden eggs that feed on nothing but broken promises. And I'd say, I probably can.

Maybe they can use the money to buy Henrik a dictionary? Here's the longest version of "we don't want to pay for a translator" - which is only a coverup for "we don't have any lore for our game" too:

"We would more than be happy to share more lore about the world we play in.
    The only issue as before is that we first wrote it in advanced Swedish, making it very hard to translate it into proper English with the same meanings. I wish we could lend this to a professorial translator, but it cost a lot of money and time, since it must be cross checked back with the Swedish meaning.

We do have contact with good English writers, but they don't know Swedish. So we are in a rough spot when it comes to share more lore from the Swedish written one."

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/threads/henrik.80013/page-2#post-1382738

Advanced Swedish. The most complicated language known to man. Translation impossibru. ...inb4 SV-affiliates telling me that advanced Swedish is really impossible to turn into proper English.

3...2...1... XD

That made me lol. It reads more like a troll response then an actual dev response. Unbelievable that they claim something like that. The contradictions about the just fixing and polishing and then someone else saying they are adding new content isn't a good sign either imo.

And now with the donations plan for which players can receive special items (again no details). LOL.

Will check when I get home for link, but if you think $5 or $10 donations from the 50 -80 ppl playing MO are going to be enough to pay for developers, then you must be naive. That is assuming half of them even donate, then you have to take other factors into account such as an actual month to month salary and labor laws in that particular country. Those laws are part of the reason SV is in the position it is in. It isnt as easy as hiring some kid for the weekend. Donations are gonna pay for someones yearly salary? If their monthly subs are unable to somewhat sustain the company, donations wont help. Get real.

There will be peeps that donate alot more then 5-10 dollars. Some MO fans are rly hardcore. I prolly land at 20-30.  I'm not THAT hardcore, or as wealthy as I wanna be. But as I said. The actaul number will decide what can and can't be done. If they are going the kickstarter way they might even say "If we land at this number we be able to do this by this time" etc. But that's just me speculating, and I don't like to do that. Let's see what they have planned once they put it out for us.

I will, thanks image

LOL- Okay agreed. I am not quite as good as I like to portray =D

-And yeah, I know now that MO will  be here past Christmas- Its like the Zombie that continues to get back up even after its been knocked down the stairs and beaten with a pipe. Like jason from friday the 13th- Predicting the time of its true death is impossible since just when you think its over.... BAM fucker gets up and grabs your leg and drags you under the bed =O

Roflmao. Good one. ;) If you ever wanna try MO out again I sure could hang with ya. All our differences aside, your quite funny. Not that I think you will. But maybe a "hater" and a "lover" for MO could actually hang out. :P

There will be peeps that donate alot more then 5-10 dollars. Some MO fans are rly hardcore. I prolly land at 20-30.  I'm not THAT hardcore, or as wealthy as I wanna be. But as I said. The actaul number will decide what can and can't be done. If they are going the kickstarter way they might even say "If we land at this number we be able to do this by this time" etc. But that's just me speculating, and I don't like to do that. Let's see what they have planned once they put it out for us.

-Thats just it, they explicitly stated it wont be a Kickstarter and will be "handled in house".

A Kickstarter would hold them to a stated obligation- I.e. If we reach X amount we will hire a Dev or outsource X asset... They are asking you to donate on faith and faith alone (which this game has been built and sustained on)

-Overall Managment descisions need be taken into account along with their pubic statements (which show them running in the negatives and bleeeding money) when figuring out where your "no strings attached" donations will go-

EDIT- Responding to-

"Roflmao. Good one. ;) If you ever wanna try MO out again I sure could hang with ya. All our differences aside, your quite funny. Not that I think you will. But maybe a "hater" and a "lover" for MO could actually hang out. :P"

-For sure. =D

Nothing personal here at all- Ever.

-Thats just it, they explicitly stated it wont be a Kickstarter and will be "handled in house".

A Kickstarter would hold them to a stated obligation- I.e. If we reach X amount we will hire a Dev or outsource X asset... They are asking you to donate on faith and faith alone (which this game has been built and sustained on)

-Overall Managment descisions need be taken into account along with their pubic statements (which show them running in the negatives and bleeeding money) when figuring out where your "no strings attached" donations will go-

I said going down the kickstarter way, meaning doing something similar to it. But here they will give away stuff like cloths etc depending on what you donate. And they could also say what will be done depending on what they recive. Like the guys did for The Repopulation kickstarter ( I know this ain't a kickstarter. Promise). But we won't know til they put it all out there for us. So we just have to wait and see.

• FastSlothFastSloth Member Posts: 132

Also, a kickstarter is for projects that are starting, not for projects that have been undead for several years and have already failed.

• SHOE788SHOE788 Member Posts: 700

Employees aren't like televisions. You don't shell out a bit of money and own it forever. Employees require constant funding, so unless you plan to keep shelling out 20-30 to pay for him, don't expect SV to hire more.

Likely these funds will go into the 4 or 5 current employees pockets.

• psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338

Funny.  This idea was in my thread 'how to save SV' from 6 months ago:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/347014/How-to-save-Starvault-for-the-board-of-directors-and-all-investors.html

Can we please stop calling this a donation system and call it a cash shop?  It's a cash shop. Period.

Of course implementing one aspect of my plan without everything else will not work.

Originally posted by psykobilly

Funny.  This idea was in my thread 'how to save SV' from 6 months ago:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/347014/How-to-save-Starvault-for-the-board-of-directors-and-all-investors.html

Can we please stop calling this a donation system and call it a cash shop?  It's a cash shop. Period.

Of course implementing one aspect of my plan without everything else will not work.

-Certainly it is a Ca$h $hop... But SV has decided to call it a "donation" (which makes it pretty funny) so why let facts get in the way of a good story when the "story" is coming right from the mouth of the Horse?

They, themselves decided to make this about "charity"- And had I made a thread saying "mo to start CASH SHOP" there would have been a parade of fans coming to tell me how I "lie" because its just donations for people who, you know, wanna donate- Yes, they will admit there will be rewards for donations but NOBODY is FORCING you to donate and (of coarse) these rewards will not give an "unfair advantage"

-THEN this thread would detereorate into the definition of Cash Shop vs Charity- Thread would derail and become locked and we NEVETR would have learned about "Advanced Swedish"... And Psykobilly, you dont want that do you? Even if you ARE right? =)

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

a parade of fans? what fans. I see 1 or maybe 2 people posting on here who arent shit talking the game and their posts are rare.

Call it a cash shop say what you like theres nobody left to come on here and say otherwise.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

Originally posted by deathshroud

a parade of fans? what fans. I see 1 or maybe 2 people posting on here who arent shit talking the game and their posts are rare.

Call it a cash shop say what you like theres nobody left to come on here and say otherwise.

-They did last week Death (note the locked thread : SV to beg for more money)- Hell, you posted there I might add, saying (I think- I am not going to check) that I was spreading unconfirmed rumors (which ended up completley true I might ALSo add)

-So yes, had I said "Cash Shop" I would have been called a liar.

AND SV themselves are calling this a Donation.

EDIT: Once again (for clarity) YES, Its a cash Shop... But saying Donation makes it much more funny and I AM NOT THE ONE OFFICIALLY CALLING IT A DONATION- SV is...

EDIT 2: maybe things continually get lost in translation since they start in Advanced Sweedish, then must be translated to latin and whatever the Hell launguage the Moors used, then to Ancient Sumer where it can finally be translated to Egyption Hyroglphs and then American English (sorry Britts...)

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    edit

those werent fanboys, you simply were stating it as fact when it wasnt offical. It is offical now though but its hardly offical until it is actually offical.

nobody really knew if sv was going to take up the idea of donations or kickstarter or a cash shop. It seemed likely they would do something out of despiration but you was jumping the gun.

People were just pointing that out and i doubt most of those people even really play the game.

sometimes i wonder whos more dellusional

those werent fanboys, you simply were stating it as fact when it wasnt offical. It is offical now though but its hardly offical until it is actually offical.

It was "official" since an official person kept using the term "we are..." but I digress.

In the same way you say that "wasnt official" this ISNT a cash shiop either since OFFICIALLY its called a donation.

-See what i did there?

It was "official" since an official person kept using the term "we are..." but I digress.

In the same way you say that "wasnt official" this ISNT a cash shiop either since OFFICIALLY its called a donation.

-See what i did there?

granted some people might moan a little if you stated it as a cash shop rather than donations but it isnt going to be the fanboys. Just random people on here who dont really give a damn either way.

i imagine your thread was locked for the unecessary insulting and swearing and not due to the actual point you was trying to make.

-See what i did there?

granted some people might moan a little if you stated it as a cash shop rather than donations but it isnt going to be the fanboys. Just random people on here who dont really give a damn either way.

Alright... What are your thoughts on this or did you join this thread to attempt to derail?

my thoguhts on this is... theres a handful of players and the amount they could possibly give would not be enough to do diddly squat to help the actual production of the game. even if they reached something like $10,000 from the 2k playerbase that would be jsut a drop in the ocean.

Without some major media coverage and possibly an actual tangiable kickstarter effort the funds wont help and it begs the question were are those funds actually going to go?

but in all honesty i dont particularly care anymore, i played MO and i stopped playing it. I check here and on occasion the offical forums but im not really expecting any good news at all. Im focusing more on the games im actually playing and the future games im looking forward to.

my thoguhts on this is... theres a handful of players and the amount they could possibly give would not be enough to do diddly squat to help the actual production of the game. even if they reached something like $10,000 from the 2k playerbase that would be jsut a drop in the ocean.

Without some major media coverage and possibly an actual tangiable kickstarter effort the funds wont help and it begs the question were are those funds actually going to go?

but in all honesty i dont particularly care anymore, i played MO and i stopped playing it. I check here and on occasion the offical forums but im not really expecting any good news at all. Im focusing more on the games im actually playing and the future games im looking forward to.

-Fair enough and thank you.

I pretty much agree.

• psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338

I logged in today and did a full world tour. Here is the breakdown:

Toxai:  0 people

Morin Khur: 0 people

Moh-Ki: 0 people

Bakti: 2 people

Kranesh: 0 people

Vadda: 4 people

Fabernum: 5 people

Tindrem: 8 people

Meduli: 5 people

If there is a 2k playerbase of this game then I'm fucking Santa Claus.

yea wouldnt suprise me if they were sub 1k subs by now,

• YojimboBimboYojimboBimbo Member Posts: 162

you hit the nail on the head, anything donated will be a drop in the bucket and SV or anyone else would be kidding themselves if they think this will help.  I doubt these funds would be enough to hire on a dev so I just can't understand where the money would go or how it would speed development in any way. 

They have to be low sub wise, I just can't see them holding that many active accounts.  I'd easily say no greater then 500 if even that.