Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

interesting article on bots/hacks/exploits in GW2

Comments

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270

"If all this wasn't enough to worry you however, on the 3rd of November the Beta release of an item duplicator, from a prominent and prolific hacker, goes live. What wonderful news."

Would they really let this info get out if it were true?

• PresbytierPresbytier Member UncommonPosts: 424
    While I am inclined to believe much of what is said(I have seen dozens of bots using speed and teleport hacks) I do feel they should have referenced their sources if no other reason to add credance to their statements.

"Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."-Guybrush Threepwood
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."-Hunter S. Thompson

• tristanryantristanryan Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by Presbytier
    While I am inclined to believe much of what is said(I have seen dozens of bots using speed and teleport hacks) I do feel they should have referenced their sources if no other reason to add credance to their statements.

I have also seen it with my own eyes. And im not talking about in the last couple of days either.

ANET will immediately shut you down if you complain about certain things on the forums, with zero explanation. I quit a few weeks ago, doesnt really matter to me anymore regardless.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    just do a little looking it's fake.. but what's new..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Some of this is hardly accurate like the "finding hack sites in 3 minutes thing" bah and the whole "item dupe, instant teleport to the undiscovered vistas" and oh an that there isn't a single screen shot with the name of the bot or information one could search to find the bot blurred out showing these options. I saw one.....a single bot app. 

Not saying bots aren't a problem but just making things up on the fly isn't going to help.

Will be waiting to see what happens Nov 3rd. :) Will return to this thread when we all find out there's nothing to worry about.

Almost forgot, people seem to have forgotten that things like teleport hacks have existed for a very long time in games they now CLAIM are stable but have had gold farms and bots since they were first released. WoW for instance.

Originally posted by Aerowyn

Are you disputing the article or are you disputing the fact that there are cheats in GW2?

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Do you really expect the author to reference Bot & Hack sites ?  If you want credance to the artical then all you have to do is go search for your self,  its not that hard to find.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by tristanryan

Are you disputing the article or are you disputing the fact that there are cheats in GW2?

the article.. yes there are bots and such in the game but what the article is talking about is fake.. go on and try to download the hacks if you don't believe me

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by stayontarget

Do you really expect the author to reference Bot & Hack sites ?  If you want credance to the artical then all you have to do is go search for your self,  its not that hard to find.

Actually yes i would, it's not harmful to do that. They have programmers working on the bot problem of detecting what they are doing screenshots of all three apps would have been nice at the very least. Easy to change the image to blur out the info of the name of the app. And if what everyone is saying is true (haven't found these websites yet) that you can find them in 3 minutes of searching then people using google will find them just as fast as posting which ones are being used. I'm sure they will have a patch out soon to stop the problem, they always do.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

the article.. yes there are bots and such in the game but what the article is talking about is fake.. go on and try to download the hacks if you don't believe me

What exactly do you think a bot is?

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by KingJiggly

[mod edit]

you tried it?

Originally posted by KingJiggly

Article.

[mod edit]

I admit i skimmed the article. Im sorry that already knowing there are several cheater in GW2 isnt "false" news to me, and many others. I get the feeling you're acting like this is the first "news" on Gw2 cheating. Have i experienced every hack listed in the article? Of course not. Have i experienced playing with cheaters in GW2? Yeah, i have.

and Aerowyn i meant no disrespect to you i know you like the game and i hope you enjoy the game. Nothing wrong with that. I probably shouldnt have even commented on the subject.
  • VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Given what most of us have seen, it seems very plausible to me.  We know GW2 bots can teleport around, and that's pretty shocking in itself.  The rest is probably easy compared to that.  The way its written doesn't set off any red flags for me, either.  Strikes me as seeming pretty sincere.

Course I could be wrong, but that's my take on it.

edit: The magic find, I have some doubts about.  That might be something bot sellers throw in there just to make it sound more appealing, knowing its unverifiable.  Something like that should be 100% server side.  It would be pretty strange if it's not.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

and Aerowyn i meant no disrespect to you i know you like the game and i hope you enjoy the game. Nothing wrong with that. I probably shouldnt have even commented on the subject.

doesn't bother me.. but you can search around yes there are certain bot programs out their but some of the one's he is talking about in the article according to everything I have seen/read don't exist

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

So, I found out on good authority that the botters are actually a horde of pygmy goat herders who are hacking with abandoned Amiga systems running Linux.  I would share my sources, but international goat laws prevent incriminating goats as a potential accomplice to a federal offence.  Obviously, there is nothing I can do about that situation.

Now that I've proven that I'm credible,  I would also like to mention that it's a secret conspiracy by these pygmy goat herders to bot and hack and cause general unhappy feelings towards GW2, so they can boost the sales of TSW. It's a long known fact that if you're a pygmy and you've got goats, than you're a huge HP Lovecraft fan, so it's a completely natural thing to do.

I also think that the government is also botting, because they want to use the cool halloween armor skins as a recruitment measure for the army.  I'm surprised that you all haven't heard about this stuff, it's all over the news.

/end sarcasm

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Originally posted by eyelolled

So, I found out on good authority that the botters are actually a horde of pygmy goat herders who are hacking with abandoned Amiga systems running Linux.  I would share my sources, but international goat laws prevent incriminating goats as a potential accomplice to a federal offence.  Obviously, there is nothing I can do about that situation.

Now that I've proven that I'm credible,  I would also like to mention that it's a secret conspiracy by these pygmy goat herders to bot and hack and cause general unhappy feelings towards GW2, so they can boost the sales of TSW. It's a long known fact that if you're a pygmy and you've got goats, than you're a huge HP Lovecraft fan, so it's a completely natural thing to do.

I also think that the government is also botting, because they want to use the cool halloween armor skins as a recruitment measure for the army.  I'm surprised that you all haven't heard about this stuff, it's all over the news.

/end sarcasm

lol

doesn't bother me.. but you can search around yes there are certain bot programs out their but some of the one's he is talking about in the article according to everything I have seen/read don't exist

same here.  can't find the ones he's talking about. And mind you im not searching to use them because i despise the practice but I try to keep myself well informed and there are alot of misinformation threads and articles out there. Apparently this is one of them. Sure it's a problem and they've hired people to work on it but to cause such a panic with malinformed details never helps the situation.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

You call this an "interesting article"?

I call it confirmation that GW2 and GW2 PvP are absolutely not worth my time.

Ironic statement considering all of the commercial bot programs available for GW2 written in Lua, started life in WOW, have been there for years, were adapted for Rift and are now being changed for GW2. But hey don't let me stop you from bashing GW2 irrationally. Ironic also that WOW and Rift are often mentioned as MMOs that really know how to detect bots.

There is no MMO more heavily botted, hacked and cheated in than WOW. But no one should be surprised by this considering their enormous player base.

These are not the easily-detectable home-brewed bottling hacks we have all seen and reported. These underground group of hackers--often the same people who will crack and release "warez"--are into mimicking realistic player behavior. They do things like auto-respond to says or tells. That player who just rezzed you and said "np" after you said "ty" could be a bot. They rezz, sell, add semi-random emotes and behavior. They scoff at the teleporting in a circle scripts used by the rangers and guardians we have all seen.

Nothing new here.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by eyelolled

/end sarcasm

lol

image image

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by itgrowls

same here.  can't find the ones he's talking about. And mind you im not searching to use them because i despise the practice but I try to keep myself well informed and there are alot of misinformation threads and articles out there. Apparently this is one of them. Sure it's a problem and they've hired people to work on it but to cause such a panic with malinformed details never helps the situation.

When I google "gw2 botting programs" the 4th link takes me to a website with very active discussion boards. I'm sure that's one of the sites he was referring to in the article. You'll also get links to the subscription based one he mentions... Subs for a cheat... I wonder where they got that idea from?image

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Article really does need more credible sources and the likes...

Still though, we all know GW2 bots are all around and they are able to do a lot of funky things like teleporting around that is a big issue and shows a security opening in the game. 

Take the article with a grain of salt (the same salt you take for people claiming GW2 is the 2nd coming ) yet still know that bots do exist and are more powerful in GW2 then most MMos due to the way it was coded. Hopefully they go about fixing this at some point. I might not like the game but I don't want people who want to play legitamently have to suffer playing when bots flood the market place and over-all degrade the play experience.

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448

They aren't too hard to find. I haven't tried them so I am not sure how they work, but I can find the sites he is talking about rather easily. A lot of them seem to have the same hacks, so I would assume that those are most likely functioning.....

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

Interesting article.  I cannot comment on the programs, but as a player of this game I can say that the bot issue has noticeably declined on my server (Jade Quarry) from my perspective.  I have no doubt these programs exist and are used, but I have yet to see an mmo that hasn't had these issues.  At least Anet appears to be addressing it.

cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• Rhianni32Rhianni32 Member Posts: 222
    Oh come on now. 650,000 bots?!