Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open Beta Starts in November

jpkoshjpkosh Member Posts: 17
DarkAndLight - 2:32 PM EDT
Show all DarkAndLight newsA new announcement on www.Darkandlight.net:

Settlers of Ganareth!

Small Excerpt:
The world of Ganareth will open its doors to you in November 2005 ! 8881, The lands of Ganareth are under the control of Dragoon... Learn the teachings and rebuild civilization where 8,000 years of strife has utterly destroyed it to the ground... The Age of Reconquest has Come!

Sounds good right? But thats not all.

The release of Dark and Light will come in April 2006, until then mold ganareth and influence the future. Recapture the kingdoms from Dragoon! Be the first to explore Ganareth. Be part of daily events! Get your barony titles, and prepare to defend from conquest.

A quick link to storyline. We are here, the during or at the end of the end of the age of reconquest.

Good luck to everyone, I hope you enjoy the free "Settlers of Ganareth" Prelude, Until then... I have dibs on the northern island kingdom!

This is Stormsblade,
Signing off.

The official website is actually overloaded...

Now it can be read...

- Stormsblade

Comments

• d74046d74046 Member Posts: 10

Double post*

*Cookie powa*

• jpkoshjpkosh Member Posts: 17

Now we"ll see very soon if they can handle thousands of players without problems.

But it's one of many concerns i have with them..How will look the final graphics?

Only a few (That have paid for the extras), will be able to craft and unlock new areas..

It will be very interesting to see this game evolve, we'll get fresh info from beta testers

They wont be under NDA anymore... I'll wait til April to try it...

• The-RavenThe-Raven Member Posts: 234
    I received that exact news letter.  Who or what the heck is 8881?
  • DhaemanDhaeman Member Posts: 531

So...what does this mean?

Free open beta for 6 months with characters that transfer to the final release of the game? That's what it sounds like to me...

Originally posted by The-Raven
    I received that exact news letter.  Who or what the heck is 8881?

The beta starts in year 8801 Ganareth time and the game itself starts (in April)

in the year 10001....So the beta testers will litterally make history before ordinary players begin to play

• ZvorakZvorak Member Posts: 234

Originally posted by strouse

"Sounds good right?"
    not really.. no
    "The official website is actually overloaded"
    Not overloaded. Just poorly supported.
    I wonder how the Eq2 and WoW websites never go down but yet get ten times the traffic.

You are completly ignorantof the facts. Almost all companies upgrade their bandwidth when the game goes live. Why would a company pay for absorbant amounts of bandwidth thats not going to be used or only shortly, it is not a sound buisiness practice.

Secondly, I do enjoy your 1 line quips and nacent posts, but Really... nobody actually cares what you've had to say for weeks now. It's just not based on anything factual or with depth.

"Settlers of Ganareth" is a great idea and goes along with what was mentioned on the #5 Pod Cast about limited Pay to Play community helping NPcube get this game ready for the Box release in April.

I'm sure there will be a very short open beta/stress test (3-4 days) then they will initait the "Settles of Ganareth" and those limited people will be willing to help further test and explore the game to make it rock solid before the actual release. Not to mention kick start the economy and community.

It also looks like the settlers will start in the neutral part of the world.. which also makes sense.

Good Call NPCube...  and it mirrors what i was saying earlier...   right BirdSeeds.. ?image

-Zvorak

• ronan32ronan32 Member Posts: 1,418
    can anyone download the soft release? , or is it a limited number of places available. to me personaly this was aload of crap because i still see no features, and the funny thing is that this announcement was actaully delayed. i dont care if people think im whining, why couldnt they just say the game isnt out till 2006 instead of all this crap they have been feeding us. i still see no features :)

The beta (or pseudo-beta) will be available for all, for free. So you can try it before making any decision. There will be some features : I think it will be PvP without the alignements (Dark Light) and

Mobs will have their AI working, Mana fountains will be "chargeable", Fortresses buildable and available for conquest, And some social advancement, (Baronny) For the least...

• mugboy312mugboy312 Member Posts: 141

any idea when we can get the pre-order and get into the november open beta release? i didnt see any exact dates to when we can order and my internet is being really annoying.

They sais there will be a dev chat later this week...

THE SUSPENSE!!! ::::01::

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Wow, wasn't expecting this...Can't wait !

• MoccaMocca Member Posts: 28

Well ...hmm.. this is the first time that i actualy read some about D&L (cause i got a mail about their beta launch in november) and .. it sounds interesting .. quite interesting . So ..now i have a few questions about the game .. 2 actually :

1) What r the sistem requierements for the game? ... ( since the screenshots i`ve seen look so nice .. i`m affraid that my "ancient " PC wont be able to take them ... ). ive been checking the gamesite for those but couldnt find them so if anybody got a link or something plz tell me

2) that beta that they talk about .. i`m not quite surfe i understand .. is it free ??... or not .. maybe i didnt read all .. but from what i`ve seen .. u have to pay for it.. or no?

thanks

"Born To Play !!!"

• stone-seraphstone-seraph Member Posts: 376

Originally posted by Mocca
    Well ...hmm.. this is the first time that i actualy read some about D&L (cause i got a mail about their beta launch in november) and .. it sounds interesting .. quite interesting . So ..now i have a few questions about the game .. 2 actually :
    1) What r the sistem requierements for the game? ... ( since the screenshots i`ve seen look so nice .. i`m affraid that my "ancient " PC wont be able to take them ... ). ive been checking the gamesite for those but couldnt find them so if anybody got a link or something plz tell me
    2) that beta that they talk about .. i`m not quite surfe i understand .. is it free ??... or not .. maybe i didnt read all .. but from what i`ve seen .. u have to pay for it.. or no?
    thanks

from the site:

Minimal configuration
    CPU: Pentium IV 1.8 GHz or equivalent
    Memory: 512 MB RAM
    Graphics Card: GeForce 4 or equivalent
    Sound Card: 16 bit
    Video Memory: 64 MB
    Disk Space: 2 GB
    Modem Speed: DSL
    Input Device: Mouse, Keyboard

Recommended configuration
    CPU: Pentium IV 2.4 GHz or equivalent
    Memory: 768 MB RAM
    Graphics Card: GeForce 6 or ATI X series, OpenGL 2.0 or equivalent
    Sound Card: 16 bit, EAX 4.0
    Video Memory: 256 MB
    Disk Space: 2 GB
    Modem Speed: DSL
    Input Device: Mouse, Keyboard 2 Go
    Modem : DSL

it will be free, but nobody knows who or how many, if not all, get in.

Make of it what you will.

• Ranma13Ranma13 Member Posts: 747

Nice!~ Good to know that the devs aren't jumping the gun and are going to work on the game some more. I wonder how much more they can get done in 6 months though...

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Well NPCube has just earned my respect, allegiance, and loyalty if this is true. This is all I have been wanting for a long time now, for them to finish the game before charging.

I miss DAoC

Originally posted by Jackdog
    Well NPCube has just earned my respect, allegiance, and loyalty if this is true. This is all I have been wanting for a long time now, for them to finish the game before charging.

ItS the first time i read only positive things from you Jackdog... Frankly, iM a bit surprised...image
  • DhaemanDhaeman Member Posts: 531

I wish they just had a RP to RL translation for exactly what was going on, possible consumer costs, limited player entry, etc. Oh well...guess we'll find out soon enough.

Originally posted by jpkosh

ItS the first time i read only positive things from you Jackdog... Frankly, iM a bit surprised...image

No need to be surprised I have been an active fan of the game for over three years, longer than most of the "fans" over here even knew it existed. It was only after this years E3 where the game looked shaky at best that I started having doubts, then the we want you to pay for beta crap pushed me over the edge.

I just finished reading the email though and noticed this

This Dark and Light prelude will be free to access. Also a limited number of Dark and Light game keys will be available from November via pre-ordering, and this will give access to an inevitable pack of features. Keep your eyes open, Dark and Light, the genesis, is on its way!

which I must admit has gotten me wondering if maybe I jumped the gun a bit in my new found loyalty. I think until I know for sure what is going on I will will just do as the fanboys have been begging me to do and fade away for a bit.

I miss DAoC

Originally posted by jpkosh
    Originally posted by Jackdog Well NPCube has just earned my respect, allegiance, and loyalty if this is true. This is all I have been wanting for a long time now, for them to finish the game before charging. ItS the first time i read only positive things from you Jackdog... Frankly, iM a bit surprised...image
    No need to be surprised I have been an active fan of the game for over three years, longer than most of the "fans" over here even knew it existed. It was only after this years E3 where the game looked shaky at best that I started having doubts, then the we want you to pay for beta crap pushed me over the edge.
    I just finished reading the email though and noticed this
    This Dark and Light prelude will be free to access. Also a limited number of Dark and Light game keys will be available from November via pre-ordering, and this will give access to an inevitable pack of features. Keep your eyes open, Dark and Light, the genesis, is on its way!
    which I must admit has gotten me wondering if maybe I jumped the gun a bit in my new found loyalty. I think until I know for sure what is going on I will will just do as the fanboys have been begging me to do and fade away for a bit.

oh jackdog! i always knew it was true! come over here and give ol' uncle mugboy a hug! ::::15::

Mugboy I have a feeling that yall will be the ones apologizing to me when you see what shape the game is in in November. At least though it looks as if they have gave up on the idea of that pay for beta crud. A pre order is fine, and they may actually be able to get the game into good shape by April. I will do the free thing, and if it looks worthwhile then I will do the pre order. I still have not quite figured out exactly what is what on what you get if you pre pay and which is the free open yet, so I am still a wee bit suspicious of their motives here.

I miss DAoC

• LordAnubisLordAnubis Member Posts: 112

Every one and all can get into the open beta but there is a preorder system for some who wish to choose to put money by the game.

This preorder well give you extra things when the game is realase in april.

Expect a chacter wipe at the end of open beta people as were jumping 2000 years ahead after SoG ends

i suppose anyone who plays a High Elf, Wood Elf and Dark Elf will keep their character then ::::18::

• angerrangerr Member Posts: 865

very kool, i hope we all can help beta this game and make it as good as they say its going to be. i really hope this works out for them ::::28::

read this http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1044304#post1044304 then come back and talk to me about the vanguard/soe fiasco.....

Originally posted by LordAnubis

Every one and all can get into the open beta but there is a preorder system for some who wish to choose to put money by the game.

This preorder well give you extra things when the game is realase in april.

Expect a chacter wipe at the end of open beta people as were jumping 2000 years ahead after SoG ends

I would not expect them not to do a character wipe. The purpose of a open beta is to test as you play so the company can add in content, polish the game and balance classes. So character progression should and most likely will be very different at the end of the six months than it will be in November.

I wonder what extra things, a shouder monkey or something would be cool. I suppose that monster thread over on the official boards may give some answers eventually..........key word is eventually .

I will hold off on my pre order until I see what kind of progress they make. I am optimistic but still a bit guarded.

This is still good news though, anyway you cut it. Snailgames must have coughed up that 3 mil, and someone pulled their head out of the nether regions and considered the repercussions in the gaming community if they had persisted in charging for beta. Most likely the last wave of beta testers helped on that score.

I miss DAoC