Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is what makes me smile

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

You didn't answer the question. Was that data incorrect? No need to resort to a personal attack. If you can't (or don't want to) answer the question just move on.

And, as  you can also clearly see, I did.

You offered me (another) anecdote.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448

Is GW2 the WoW replacement that lots of people predicted?

No.

Is it dropping in the number of people who log in consistently?

Most likely. There are enough indicators (Xfire, Raptr, numerous forum posts of people who are bored) that would indicate that the player numbers are trending downward even if it is only within those communities (possible but not likely).

How is this different from all the other MMO's? Does it really matter? If you like the game, by all means play it. If you don't, there are lots of new games for all tastes on the horizon. GW2's numbers will eventually stablize and people will come and go due to the B2P nature of the game. I personally think GW2 is a decent game for what it is. Its mechanics don't hold my interest for long, but it did some things well. I don't understand people here with their need to either completely bash the game or defend the game as if their lives depended on it. The game has flaws and it also does some things well. It isn't going to kill WoW and probably never will be even close to as popular. It is doing better than a lot of other recent releases though. Why do people care if it is popular or not.  Just play your game.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Originally posted by Icewhite

General consensus. Are you saying it was incorrect?

Who's General Consensus? 

Seriously, we're fast approaching 'link or it didn't happen'.  You're referring to events of two years ago, which apparently threatened you enough that it's still a clear memory...

Wait...that's a fanboy reaction too.

After Wrath, WoW went into decline. It was all over the net. You want links from 2 years ago? Sorry, I didn't keep them in my favorites list. I suppose I can google that for you if you'd like.

You didn't answer the question. Was that data incorrect? No need to resort to a personal attack. If you can't (or don't want to) answer the question just move on.

Just because 2 things show the same thing doesn't mean there is a corrolation between the 2. If everytime I trip I am holding a ball. That doesn't mean I won't trip anymore if I never hold a ball again.

Until the userbase of Xfire/ Raptr and any such program is completely documented and same with whatever game you wish to make a comparison with, it will never be proof of anything. Positive or negative.

Originally posted by Torgrim

Starter zones are simplistic when it comes to DE hence no one sticks around unless they are doing 100% map completion.

Well, except for Age of Conan, maybe.

Despite everything else that game got wrong, starter area wasn't too bad. :shrug:  Too bad it went downhill so quickly after that.

Anyway, hanging out in this thread far too long, verging on being drawn into the ongoing fanwarz (which, I honestly, have no interest in).

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Connmacart

Who's General Consensus? 

Seriously, we're fast approaching 'link or it didn't happen'.  You're referring to events of two years ago, which apparently threatened you enough that it's still a clear memory...

After Wrath, WoW went into decline. It was all over the net. You want links from 2 years ago? Sorry, I didn't keep them in my favorites list. I suppose I can google that for you if you'd like.

Just because 2 things show the same thing doesn't mean there is a corrolation between the 2. If everytime I trip I am holding a ball. That doesn't mean I won't trip anymore if I never hold a ball again.

Until the userbase of Xfire/ Raptr and any such program is completely documented and same with whatever game you wish to make a comparison with, it will never be proof of anything. Positive or negative.

I chuckled and stopped reading there.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by Connmacart

Who's General Consensus? 

Why are we suddenly talking about corrolation dimensions?

• Smitt3kSmitt3k Member Posts: 21

Sigh..... I am still getting put in overflow servers and seeing people all over.  What is the point of this thread?

Originally posted by halflife25

Why are we suddenly talking about corrolation dimensions?

Because a lot of people took statistics classes, at least the Bonehead 110 variety:

Correlation of population statistics collected in various ways...yammer yammer.

Almost no one took Logic with the fancy Latin words:

Argumentum ad numerum.

Does no good anyway, you can rail against ad numerum/ad populum forever and a day--tomorrow, someone will quote a new stat, and the whole fanwar herds off and running again.

No you didn't. You just attacked me persoanlly.

Originally posted by Smitt3k

Sigh..... I am still getting put in overflow servers and seeing people all over.  What is the point of this thread?

Go anywhere outside Lions Arch. Problem solved.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5372645#5372645

There ya go (hope that link works).  Have fun arguing subs, ya'll.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5372645#5372645

There ya go (hope that link works).  Have fun arguing subs, ya'll.

I don't get your point here, but I'll concede. It's your win.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Why are people here discussing an opinion blog from a random internet guy from another site?

Who gives a shit what he thinks tbh.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Why are people here discussing an opinion blog from a random internet guy from another site?

What's sad is that this kind of threads is allowed to reach that amount of answers before being locked.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246
    I gotta say after playing Dishonored after quitting GW2, Im done with games like that until Hello Kitty Online 2 comes out.
  • ghost047ghost047 Member UncommonPosts: 597
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

Well, what makes me smile is knowing GW2 has the 2nd largest MMO playerbase and is growing almsot 2 months into the game whereas all other MMO's usually lose players.

GW2 isn't growing. It's losing players just like any other MMO has the past years.

Overflow zones were no longer necessary just 2 weeks after launch and last week when I logged in my low level ALT for last time during EU prime time, the starting zones were already feeling empty with hardly anyone around.

But hey.... nothing new for me at least. As we've seen this trend for years now.

But I won't say it's a flop tho. They sold enough boxes and very likely already break even and made a profit on box sales alone.

??????? It's obvious you're not playing the game anymore!

The overflow zone are still there, of course not in lower zone, since all the people have already done them so you don't need them anymore. But go to LA and you will see, overflow everytime you get there!

WvW, still have Qs to get in!

They add more servers, if a game is dying, merge merge them not add them!

You're dreaming my friend, but if you want to keep your dream alive, hit snooze!

Get a life you freaking Gamer.....no no, you don't understand, I'm a Gamer, I have many lives!!

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Drolkin
    I gotta say after playing Dishonored after quitting GW2, Im done with games like that until Hello Kitty Online 2 comes out.

If your going to make a post like this at least take the time and effort to do it right lol. The reader will be unsure of which game you were reffering to, they may even mistakenly assume you mean games like both Dishonored and GW2 and feel they are the same.

If you must troll at least take the time and effort to do so correctly or at least some what coherently.

I believe what you were attempting to say was... 

"I quit GW2 and played Dishonored. I must say that after playing Dishonored I'm done with games like GW2 until Hello Kitty Online 2 comes out."

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

One thing I always find annoying about some people on this site, and maybe just some people in general is that they always find a way to "win."

The facts basically become irrelevant, at the end of the day, these folks will just find some way to make it look like their argument is correct no matter what.  They'll ignore all evidence except that which supports them, shift the goalposts if required, and basically just do anything else to make it look like they "won."

But somewhere down the road, I think they just need to ask themselves "what is the point?"  They basically stop making arguments to prove something or share their views, they are just making arguments to stroke their egos.  And at some point, they probably stop caring about what they were arguing about in the first place, and care only about "winning."

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by Vesavius

What's sad is that this kind of threads is allowed to reach that amount of answers before being locked.

GW2 does seem to be trying to compete with Darkfall for the most blatant shit stir threads.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    So the OP's argument comes down to "I don't like this game and I found a blog post that agrees with me, therefore it is official: The game has failed."

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

If your going to make a post like this at least take the time and effort to do it right lol. The reader will be unsure of which game you were reffering to, they may even mistakenly assume you mean games like both Dishonored and GW2 and feel they are the same.

If you must troll at least take the time and effort to do so correctly or at least some what coherently.

"I quit GW2 and played Dishonored. I must say that after playing Dishonored I'm done with games like GW2 until Hello Kitty Online 2 comes out."

Come on now, running out of insults that you have to focus on grammar skills? i perfectly understood what he said. What is ironic is that you are calling him troll and then trolling his grammar and spellings.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Why, in 2010, was this EXACT chart used by the analysts to show WoW was in decline and back then it was accepted as "data" but now in 2012, it's used on GW2 and someone is "Reduced to" using it?

It was good enough 2-3 years ago to show the giant was in decline, but when it comes to GW2 It's all wrong now.

i did some googling

one blog using that chart was basing it upon two years of WOWs performance

Alexa Charts for WorldofWarcraft.com: 22 Months August 2007 – June 2009

http://www.wolfsheadonline.com/is-alexa-charting-the-decline-of-wow/#e6cd8

GW2 is 2 months old -- its too early to make predictions

ncsoft will announce 3rd quarter financials early next month

but I think the most telliing performance info will be w the 4rth quarter report in early Feb

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by halflife25
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Come on now, running out of insults that you have to focus on grammar skills? i perfectly understood what he said. What is ironic is that you are calling him troll and then trolling his grammar and spellings.

Did you intentionally misuse the word ironic to bait me into correcting you as well?

• ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495

I think the problem is.. well.. Most MMO players just have way too much damn free time on their hands..

I've had GW2 since around mid-September. I play with my wife.. Our max characters are level 26. We have yet to visit a single instance, we have dabbled a little in WvW and sPvP, tinkered with crafting here and there, and are enjoying ourselves immensely. It's a perfectly fun game, and it's free to boot. We simply don't have the time to play for more than a several hours a week, and we don't even have kids.

The following is a generalized statment (I know not EVERYONE who makes these kinds of complaints does it), but I have zero compassion for those who spend 5-8+ hours a DAY playing one game, and then complain when they're bored. How can you expect to NOT be bored, or find something uninteresing or repititous when you plow your way through content in the first month? I know people who don't play GW2 much anymore, but it's only because they used the crafting system to level characters to 80 within 2 or less days, speed-grinded their way through every area, found out that to do the WvW you actually need to work with other people (You're not going to be the one man wall breaker, and no, you're not always the best choice to lead the party), and found out just how badly they suck at sPvP.

Want to enjoy the game, or ANY game more for that matter? Slow the @$&;# down! Take a breather. Visit your family and friends, go work on some other project that you're interested in, fix the damn roof, plant a garden and save some money on groceries and be a bit healthier and less stressed for it. And it doesn't hurt to do a little extra work at your job and maybe get some overtime. Hell, even get some other F2P games or small games from places like Steam and vary your gameplay habits.

If you work hard to finish, you'll get exactly what you worked for. Variety is what adds color to your life - If you world is grey, you're doing it wrong.. Unless you live in Seattle.. Then you just have no choice.

Originally posted by Nadia

Why, in 2010, was this EXACT chart used by the analysts to show WoW was in decline and back then it was accepted as "data" but now in 2012, it's used on GW2 and someone is "Reduced to" using it?

It was good enough 2-3 years ago to show the giant was in decline, but when it comes to GW2 It's all wrong now.

i did some googling

one blog using that chart was basing it upon two years of WOWs performance

Alexa Charts for WorldofWarcraft.com: 22 Months August 2007 – June 2009

http://www.wolfsheadonline.com/is-alexa-charting-the-decline-of-wow/#e6cd8

GW2 is 2 months old -- its too early to make predictions

ncsoft will announce 3rd quarter financials early next month

but I think the most telliing performance info will be w the 4rth quarter report in early Feb

Initially, I was just trying to defend BCBully's use of information, data, links....something. He's tryting to use logic and data to justify his claims. Yeah, it was highly subjective at this point. But he's going out there and getting stuff. That's more than most. That said, In light of what you said (I highlighted) I admit that is true. It's still way too soon. I cannot argue that.

This discussion has been closed.