Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is what makes me smile

Comments

• CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by charlizd
    I dont know why people feel these graphs are acurate, they only reflect the people who actually use them right? i dont use Xfire anymore, haven't for years. And i really dont know why people feel it has failed, people can log back in when ever they feel like without paying a dime so it is bound to be up and down imo, i play the game very casually, have not logged in for two weeks now but not because i am bore, but because i have real life stuff holding me up, does anything think of these things? but besides that games can only hold interest for so long before people want to move onto the next great thing e.t.c, especially when it comes to theme park games because lets face it, we as a community have become spoilt and constantly want better, no 1 company will be able to keep up with that.

So website traffic stats are in accurate too? Ok.

I was moreso refering to Xfire, hence why i only mentioned Xfire in my post.

Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Must say curiousity got the best of me and I must say the blogger is quite similiar to myself. A lot of his negatives were identicle to mine (people realizing the combat isn't that great, something others for some reason don't seem to recognize that much) GW2 was NOT the big cheese to end all, which unlike the blogger I wasn't really expecting it, just expecting something to keep me entertained with GW2 failed to do. 

People seem to think just because they enjoy it, everyone else enjoys it and its a good game which just isn't true. Face the facts, GW2 isn't doing remotely as good as many of you make it out to be and to be fair, this is happening with virutally every mmo. They aren't all bad at all but they all like to follow to similiar of a format and often times not add anything to the mix. Even a game I enjoy, Rift, doesn't add all that much. It expands and adds new features yes but it doesn't revolutionize the game, in many ways what it did in the MMo is identicle to GW2, adding new 'options' or changing how things work to just the right degree to make it feel new or interesting, though that feeling fades away after so long and its just the same old same old.

GW2 isn't the stunning success people hoped for and even with the 'no monthly fee' the population as plummeted a lot faster then most games just due to the fact they did 2 things that contradict and hurt itself.

1.) Kept the game very similiar to old MMos, with just a little bit of a different look. (Quests = Hearts which are essencially the same old quest system compressed into 1 single 'super quest'. Events being a bit of a change up to this, much like Rift's Instant adventures)

2.) Made it different by not enforcing the whole 'end game' from those old games and making it so you finished quick and had virutally nothing to work for.

Those two points contradict eachother so much , displeasing people who want change and making those wanting the 'same old' unhappy as it lacks things to work for. Don't get me wrong, there are some of you out there that do actually enjoy it but you can say there are people out there that greatly enjoy Hello Kitty Online. Every game will have people who like it and play it, we all have our own tastes or urges to thank for that.

Rather then blindly follow a game and praise it, why not be critical and focus on what can be done to improve the game, to make it something you enjoy even more then buying into the propeganda Anet is spewing out. Their game can only exist and live on because of you. You have the power to make it better so long as you push for it and really show what you don't like about it and you can be the one to push it so its improved if you really try. 

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    MMOSITE is a gateway to all the Asian P2W grinders. THat site is the deathknell to MMO's not GW2.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I dont know why people feel these graphs are acurate, they only reflect the people who actually use them right? i dont use Xfire anymore, haven't for years. And i really dont know why people feel it has failed, people can log back in when ever they feel like without paying a dime so it is bound to be up and down imo, i play the game very casually, have not logged in for two weeks now but not because i am bore, but because i have real life stuff holding me up, does anything think of these things? but besides that games can only hold interest for so long before people want to move onto the next great thing e.t.c, especially when it comes to theme park games because lets face it, we as a community have become spoilt and constantly want better, no 1 company will be able to keep up with that.

So website traffic stats are in accurate too? Ok.

I was moreso refering to Xfire, hence why i only mentioned Xfire in my post.

What you quoted spoke of xfire and webstats. Your quote says "these graphs". The thing is website stat graphs mirror time played graphs like Xfire and Raptor.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Originally posted by nsignific
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Are we talking about that game that launched with  18 US servers and 24 EU servers?

Are we talking about that game that now has 25 US servers and 27 EU servers?

You have to wonder how much of that is marketing.

You know, have 25 US servers ready, but only turn on 18 at launch, to give an impression of growth (if you need it). A cheap (free, even) and very, VERY effective marketing  trick.

Not saying this is the case, but hell, nobody here can tell for sure either way.

Ahh yes, they hid servers to give the illusion of growth. That must be it. They also must be manipulating the server load to give the illusion of a large population. That must be it. They must be spawning NPC's in game that act like players giving the illusion that there really are that many players in game. That must be it. They must be keeping people from getting into WvWvW for hours on end to give the illusion that there are a lot of players in WvW. That must be it. 

What players see, hear and experience must be illusions and the few trolls still attemping a sad "This game has failed or will fail" crusade must be right... because obviously they have far more experience with the game having not played... 

Idk about all the server stuff, but I do know the game is not growing. From website stats, to Xfire, to Raptor all indicies show a large drop off. 75% in hours played on sites that track time played. Here is a website traffic graph.

Here's the thing. There is evidence but there is no proof of what's going on in the game. This chart mirrors not just that one site but I've seen it reflected by just about every single major fansite associated to the game. (gw2db.com, guildhead.com, gw2guru.com) They all show that. While it may show evidence of a decline in interest surrounding the game, It really doesn't prove people aren't logging in. Yeah, I log in and see more bots than players depending on the zone, Again, it's not proof, just an observation. There is also the historical evidence that all MMOs after WoW have suffered from. Within a few weeks of launch the populations decrease. The only evidence offered to the contrary are the log in screens tha tshow extremely subjective server populations. Do I believe that ANET is adjusting these daily? I do. But not for marketing purposes. I believe they are changing them to keep new and trasferring players from going to servers that are more popular and forcing them to go to other servers to try to even them out.

as a result, I hold the following opinions. Is GW2 failing? No Is GW2 a popular game? Yes Does GW2 have a stable healthy player base? Yes Is GW2 continuing to grow? No Does GW2 have a declining player base from launch? Yes Is ANET/NCSOFT ajusting the server population Thresholds? Yes

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Are we talking about that game that launched with  18 US servers and 24 EU servers?

You know, have 25 US servers ready, but only turn on 18 at launch, to give an impression of growth (if you need it). A cheap (free, even) and very, VERY effective marketing  trick.

Not saying this is the case, but hell, nobody here can tell for sure either way.

Ahh yes, they hid servers to give the illusion of growth. That must be it. They also must be manipulating the server load to give the illusion of a large population. That must be it. They must be spawning NPC's in game that act like players giving the illusion that there really are that many players in game. That must be it. They must be keeping people from getting into WvWvW for hours on end to give the illusion that there are a lot of players in WvW. That must be it. 

What players see, hear and experience must be illusions and the few trolls still attemping a sad "This game has failed or will fail" crusade must be right... because obviously they have far more experience with the game having not played... 

Idk about all the server stuff, but I do know the game is not growing. From website stats, to Xfire, to Raptor all indicies show a large drop off. 75% in hours played on sites that track time played. Here is a website traffic graph.

Is this what you've been reduced to bc... trying to resort to website traffic to show the game is declining or failing?

At some point you're going to have to move on man. The game is doing very well, I'm sorry this bothers you so much. 

Heres some traffic statistics that you will of course ignore. 

MMORPG.com 

GW2 this week - 201,397 unique hits

The next closest is SWTOR - 51,291

Thats for this week alone bc on a site you and I actually use. I use GW2's site for patch notes only pretty much and tend to discuss things here. 

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

Well, what makes me smile is knowing GW2 has the 2nd largest MMO playerbase and is growing almsot 2 months into the game whereas all other MMO's usually lose players.

GW2 isn't growing. It's losing players just like any other MMO has the past years.

Overflow zones were no longer necessary just 2 weeks after launch and last week when I logged in my low level ALT for last time during EU prime time, the starting zones were already feeling empty with hardly anyone around.

But hey.... nothing new for me at least. As we've seen this trend for years now.

But I won't say it's a flop tho. They sold enough boxes and very likely already break even and made a profit on box sales alone.

I have always been put into an overflow everytime I go to Lions Arch since launch. The only zones I got overflows for was the starter zones in the first week of launch. So population hasnt really changed for me on my server.  Still plenty of people doing WvW and looking for dungeons in LA. Just less people in the newbie areas, as would be expected in any MMO after launch.

Well said. The only actual numbers on population are held by the game company. We are left looking at indicators of trends. No one graph alone is not a lot of information. This graph along with comparisons to other mmorpgs with "know populations" allows you to make a pretty good guesstimate as proven by the WoW and Swtor sub sluths. 

No I didn't take the time to put it all togther. I let past experience fill in the blanks. In the words of Charles Barkley, "I may be wrong, but I doubt it." image

Is this what you've been reduced to bc... trying to resort to website traffic to show the game is declining or failing?

At some point you're going to have to move on man. The game is doing very well, I'm sorry this bothers you so much. 

MMORPG.com 

Thats for this week alone bc on a site you and I actually use. I use GW2's site for patch notes only pretty much and tend to discuss things here. 

Evolved to maybe. People had a problem with xfire, so rator was added, figured you might have a problem there so I grabbed another indicator. 

Do you believe the game is not declining?

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

Well, what makes me smile is knowing GW2 has the 2nd largest MMO playerbase and is growing almsot 2 months into the game whereas all other MMO's usually lose players.

GW2 isn't growing. It's losing players just like any other MMO has the past years.

Overflow zones were no longer necessary just 2 weeks after launch and last week when I logged in my low level ALT for last time during EU prime time, the starting zones were already feeling empty with hardly anyone around.

But hey.... nothing new for me at least. As we've seen this trend for years now.

But I won't say it's a flop tho. They sold enough boxes and very likely already break even and made a profit on box sales alone.

That''s odd because on my server there is still overflows, maybe you just made all that up.

MMORPG.com 

Evolved to maybe. People had a problem with xfire, so rator was added, figured you might have a problem there so I grabbed another indicator. 

Why, in 2010, was this EXACT chart used by the analysts to show WoW was in decline and back then it was accepted as "data" but now in 2012, it's used on GW2 and someone is "Reduced to" using it?

It was good enough 2-3 years ago to show the giant was in decline, but when it comes to GW2 It's all wrong now.

I'm still enjoying guild wars 2 and for me it's the best mmo on the market, i don't really care what other people prefer.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Schadenfreude...there's that damn long german word again.  Wish English had a good synonym.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Why, in 2010, was this EXACT chart used by the analysts to show WoW was in decline and back then it was accepted as "data" but now in 2012, it's used on GW2 and someone is "Reduced to" using it?

It was good enough 2-3 years ago to show the giant was in decline, but when it comes to GW2 It's all wrong now.

Who 'accepted it', exactly?

If you're saying gamers often choose what supports what they want to believe, with very low standards of evidence...I think that's the definition of 'fanboy', isn't it?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

MMORPG.com 

Hard to tell honestly, overflow is still constant, WvW still has a massive Que, US servers are all High or Full still and this is at 9am est. 

Then you have to take into account there simply isn't a monthly fee to cancel so no one really leaves, maybe a few will but... overall most will take a break and come back if anything lol. 

Keep reaching if you like but ... what you so dearly wish to happen doesn't seem overly likely. The game is a success, you can move on or continue with the futile crusade. Either case it doesn't matter to me because heres a simple fact. 

Without a monthly fee and no sub to cancel the only thing that can truly happen in GW2 is for the player base to increase. This isn't a free to play, this is a AAA MMO that people spent money to buy. They will take breaks, but most will come back for patches, content updates, events, expansions, when they are bored, when they feel like it, and many will continue to play GW2 as their main game. Few will actually cancel their subs. There simply isn't a reason to. 

No, I don't believe the game is declining. The business model actually makes it near impossible for it to decline by any significant ammount. The quality it has and the lack of quality out there simply makes it even harder for it to actually decline. 

Your simply screaming into the wind bc. Reality will kick in eventually, don't waste  your life on a futile crusades based on nothing but hate. 

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    I'm still enjoying guild wars 2 and for me it's the best mmo on the market, i don't really care what other people prefer.

You keep saying that you don't care but you also keep posting in topics like this. To me it seems as if you are trying to validate your enjoyment or love for MMO by telling us this again and again. For people who are so much in love with the game they hardly come to these forums.

A good game needs no defense and bad game has no defense.

Originally posted by halflife25
    Originally posted by Istavaan

You keep saying that you don't care but you also keep posting in topics like this. To me it seems as if you are trying to validate your enjoyment or love for MMO by telling us this again and again. For people who are so much in love with the game they hardly come to these forums.

A good game needs no defense and bad game has no defense.

Yah, what's your motive, Half?  I mean, as  long as we're constructing men made of straw, shouldn't we be telling you what you think and believe?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

MMORPG.com 

About as pointless statstics "proving" the opposite yes.

Frankly I think you are both wrong. After the 2 first weeks at least my server have been pretty much the same except during the halloween event which increased numbers a lot, particularly in the lower level zones.

GW2 is not a failure, but it didnt go up to 10 million players in a month either. 

So far have my prediction of "twice the original game" been rather good. Numbers we have right now are pretty useless until we see the sales of the first expansion which will prove one thing or another.

As for OP, he got banned a lot. Kinda makes me think he is a troll, there are some people here that critize games without being banned and there are trolls. It was years ago I saw someone getting banned without good reasons no matter what the game that was discussed.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Awesome proof, your friends haven't logged in for weeks. The game MUST be failing...

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Some obscure blog somewhere claims the numbers aren't what they really are.....hmmm sounds very familiar.

Anyway, while the rest of us are about to login (just finished eating breakfast) and being placed in overflow servers because of the real population numbers, people like the OP have nothing better to do then to troll a game they don't like.

The post he's quoting actually thinks that anything that WoW has in the game right now the Devs of WoW brought to the table. He makes a tiny passage about EQ's influence (influence rather then complete copy of) in WoW but never mentions just how many YEARS and how many times they had to lose large numbers of people before seeing this happen.

The only thing I've seen people not doing as much is doing the story mode of dungeons and that's for two reasons. 1 once you've seen it you don't need to a second time. and 2 explore mode gives better stuff.

Seriously. Also, I hate to admit this but here goes, Dungeon finder is necessary in every themepark. There i said it and I puked a little are you satisfied? LOL

Originally posted by Icewhite

Who 'accepted it', exactly?

If you're saying gamers often choose what supports what they want to believe, with very low standards of evidence...I think that's the definition of 'fanboy', isn't it?

General consensus. Are you saying it was incorrect?

Who's General Consensus? 

Seriously, we're fast approaching 'link or it didn't happen'.  You're referring to events of two years ago, which apparently threatened you enough that it's still a clear memory...

Wait...that's a fanboy reaction too.

Can't say it was incorrect or not; as you can clearly see, I wasn't here two years ago. 

But I do tend to reject anecdote offered as evidence pretty regularly.

Originally posted by Icewhite

Who's General Consensus? 

Seriously, we're fast approaching 'link or it didn't happen'.  You're referring to events of two years ago, which apparently threatened you enough that it's still a clear memory...

Wait...that's a fanboy reaction too.

After Wrath, WoW went into decline. It was all over the net. You want links from 2 years ago? Sorry, I didn't keep them in my favorites list. I suppose I can google that for you if you'd like.

You didn't answer the question. Was that data incorrect? No need to resort to a personal attack. If you can't (or don't want to) answer the question just move on.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Originally posted by Torgrim

Name one game that has jam packed players in starter zone after over a month after release.

Endgame starts at level 1 remember.

Starter zones are simplistic when it comes to DE hence no one sticks around unless they are doing 100% map completion.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

guild wars 2 is a great game, congrats Anet.
This discussion has been closed.