Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is what makes me smile

Comments

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by Torgrim
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

Well, what makes me smile is knowing GW2 has the 2nd largest MMO playerbase and is growing almsot 2 months into the game whereas all other MMO's usually lose players.

GW2 isn't growing. It's losing players just like any other MMO has the past years.

Overflow zones were no longer necessary just 2 weeks after launch and last week when I logged in my low level ALT for last time during EU prime time, the starting zones were already feeling empty with hardly anyone around.

But hey.... nothing new for me at least. As we've seen this trend for years now.

But I won't say it's a flop tho. They sold enough boxes and very likely already break even and made a profit on box sales alone.

Name one game that has jam packed players in starter zone after over a month after release.

It isn't jam packed on my server? There are a few people here and there, mostly on the weekends. On weekdays, there aren't a whole lot of people in the starter areas......

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    If that´s really what makes you smile....then you chose the perfect nickname OP....
  • aphydorkaphydork Member Posts: 133

I think we're no longer at the point of an MMO taking all the unwashed masses, but, with each MMO release, some of the MMO community gets dropped off.

Guild Wars 2 might have been the stop for some people to enjoy. For others, it's not quite right. Time to wait for the next stop.

• nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by kishe

F2P games tend to report their players at CREATED ACCOUNTS, not active accounts

And GW2 does what? It's a b2p game, the numbers are boxes sold and that's it.

• SpeedhaakSpeedhaak Member UncommonPosts: 296
    Originally posted by sofakingdumb

Because after I played CB, I warned all the Fan Bois they sound silly over hyping the game. They just trolled me, and usually this site banned my account for 2 weeks and removed or blocked my threads. Even though THE SAME OR OTHER critics were writting here...or even though the trolls used super nasty language, they prefer to cover up the truth and promote fan boi trolls. Any ways... Read and weep. I think this far down the road every one knows this game has flopped already. 

http://my.mmosite.com/2281165/blog/item/death_of_an_industry_or_why_isnt_anyone_playing_guild_wars_2.html

"Guild Wars 2 was not the revolution it was supposed to be, I don't care what sites like MMORPG.com says. They can tout the success of the game all they want, but I see parallels  to titles like The Old Republic and Age of Conan. Both of those had great first time sales and the community proclaimed them to be huge hits. Both of those faded quickly, were relabeled failures, and repackaged as free to play titles.

At least GW2 did away with the monthly fee to begin with. Yet, it still feels like no one wants to play the damn thing already. Everyone bought it because they believed someone finally got it right, and while they made progress, they did not break the glass ceiling.

Most, if not all MMO's, do see a drop in player activity after that first month. Once the newness wears off people go looking for the next big thing, and the real testament to a games life span is how many people come back. I have yet to see a single friend log in in weeks, and I've checked multiple times a day just to see for myself if they do. "

ahahahahha

I don't get it, I thought that article was a good read. What's your point?

• zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242

I agree with the sad side of this thread, gw2 is not as good as the hype about it!

I have a dissability (nervous dissorder) that prevents me from playing this game the way it is meant to be played. Constantly jumping around to avoid being hit, is not something I am capable of doing!

Add to this the aparent lack of players that want to pt with you, which is getting larger all the time as more and more players leave for greener pastures. And as this game is primarily a group game, this is a bad thing.

I have not completely given up and (at present plan to struggle on), but would like to add a suggestion to fix most of the problems I have with the game. REMOVE THE LAME SYSTEM THAT REDUCES YOUR LVL TO THAT OF THE SURROUNDING AREA!

Having said that, I think it is a great idea in pvp but not in pve, because if someone is having trouble getting through a particular quest or area (personal story is impossible to do), they could (if this was fixed) go elsewhere and get exp and skills to allow them to come back and get through the quest / area they are having trouble with.

As it stands, it is impossible to finish some parts of the game and there is no way to overcome the problem!

Originally posted by Valkaern

I'm not saying that just to be mean, I'm hoping you'll take a step back and re-evaluate your need to pull this crap and what it really says about you.

Keep in mind, if you're having to lie, exaggerate, misrepresent or flat out make stuff up to try and make a point, you're likely not on the winning side.

Don't know about the OP, but I'm following how GW2 is doing as a REACTION to the army of fanboys who plagued my WoW threads & forums saying how this will kill it and how we're weird for playing something that old, outdated and bad.

And my policy is to return everything 10-fold. I'm a lot of fun in FFA/PVP enabled games, let me tell you!

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Are we talking about that game that launched with  18 US servers and 24 EU servers?

Are we talking about that game that now has 25 US servers and 27 EU servers?

You have to wonder how much of that is marketing.

You know, have 25 US servers ready, but only turn on 18 at launch, to give an impression of growth (if you need it). A cheap (free, even) and very, VERY effective marketing  trick.

Not saying this is the case, but hell, nobody here can tell for sure either way.

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

You know seeing the OP's post really makes me wonder what is the point in this childish back and forth that goes on between fan(atic)s of MMORPG's?

There doesn't have to be one dominant game. I honestly believe fans of one game could celebrate the financial success of another. Because it creates competition. Because their favourite game will then put more effort into making a better product. Competition creates a better gaming experience. 

Think of WoW for example. It takes the little things that makes other MMO's great and adds them to its game. Much like the Romans before Christianity, when they incorporated Gods of the tribes that they conquered. Its clever.

Rift also, It moves beyond the standard theme park slowly but surely, and is proactive in releasing content - because it has competition and it wants to stand out!

Everquest next wants to finally add sandbox elements and sees now that you can't continue in this market without adding the freedom people want (Judging by the success of games like Skyrim).

Guild Wars 2 would have now shown that people like the idea of B2P, possibly encouraging new MMO's to take on this payment plan.

So you see, there is room in this market for other games, and as each brings something fresh (however little) you can guarantee that other developers will be encouraged and inspired by that and create a better product, a better game. All thanks to competition.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by nsignific

Are we talking about that game that launched with  18 US servers and 24 EU servers?

You know, have 25 US servers ready, but only turn on 18 at launch, to give an impression of growth (if you need it). A cheap (free, even) and very, VERY effective marketing  trick.

Not saying this is the case, but hell, nobody here can tell for sure either way.

Ahh yes, they hid servers to give the illusion of growth. That must be it. They also must be manipulating the server load to give the illusion of a large population. That must be it. They must be spawning NPC's in game that act like players giving the illusion that there really are that many players in game. That must be it. They must be keeping people from getting into WvWvW for hours on end to give the illusion that there are a lot of players in WvW. That must be it. 

What players see, hear and experience must be illusions and the few trolls still attemping a sad "This game has failed or will fail" crusade must be right... because obviously they have far more experience with the game having not played... 

Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Ahh yes, they hid servers to give the illusion of growth. That must be it. They also must be manipulating the server load to give the illusion of a large population. That must be it. They must be spawning NPC's in game that act like players giving the illusion that there really are that many players in game. That must be it. They must be keeping people from getting into WvWvW for hours on end to give the illusion that there are a lot of players in WvW. That must be it. 

What players see, hear and experience must be illusions and the few trolls still attemping a sad "This game has failed or will fail" crusade must be right... because obviously they have far more experience with the game having not played... 

If your point is that it's unlikely, I agree.

If you're trying to say it's impossible, I'm sorry, but it is. Moreso, it's fairly easy to acomplish. It even makes a lot of marketing / financial sense to do so.

In fact, it's kind of like on-disc locked DLC in terms of how much sense it makes to do.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    All I can say is I for one am still loving GW2!
  • ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

If your point is that it's unlikely, I agree.

If you're trying to say it's impossible, I'm sorry, but it is. Moreso, it's fairly easy to acomplish. It even makes a lot of marketing / financial sense to do so.

In fact, it's kind of like on-disc locked DLC in terms of how much sense it makes to do.

Been wearing tinfoil hats lately?

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I believe games like AoC and WAR also had to increase servers to handle the initial load but then after a few months quickly reduce them and after a year it was down to less than 10% of that.

• Rhianni32Rhianni32 Member Posts: 222

I log in, chat with my guildmates, run around and have some fun. Some of you seem to think since it didnt end poverty and cure cancer then its a failure. I couldn't give a rats ass what others do with their time, incuding trying to validate their own opinions by having random annonymous people on the internet give them a "+1 QFT you are right about GW2"

As long as ANet keeps the game going and I can play that I win because I am having fun with my free time... which is the entire point of a game.

• Rhianni32Rhianni32 Member Posts: 222

I went to read your link...

So one blogger, with 1 follower, 0 likes on his article, and what graphics is that My Little Princess Adventures? is going to give me the lowdown and philsophy behind the MMO industry? I expect this sort of teenage angst from my 16 year old niece.

You gotta try harder then that man.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I'm still enjoying the game quite a bit.  I'm playing very very casually and I have the max number of alts without expanding, so I think I'll be occupied for some time.  It's definitely not the most exciting or addictive MMO I've ever played but it's good enough to kill some spare time.  

For what it's worth, I haven't had a single guildie log on in weeks either.  Other games pulled them all away within the first month.   

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Agoden

You must find it really hard to believe that there are people who still enjoy the game.

Making threads like this just makes you seem really obnoxious really, like you just have to hear that you're right, which is kind of sad.

If you want to hear that the games failed, It hasn't, might not be revolutionary but It sure is a step in the right direction.

Puny minority not majority

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Idk about all the server stuff, but I do know the game is not growing. From website stats, to Xfire, to Raptor all indicies show a large drop off. 75% in hours played on sites that track time played. Here is a website traffic graph.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923
    I dont know why people feel these graphs are acurate, they only reflect the people who actually use them right? i dont use Xfire anymore, haven't for years. And i really dont know why people feel it has failed, people can log back in when ever they feel like without paying a dime so it is bound to be up and down imo, i play the game very casually, have not logged in for two weeks now but not because i am bore, but because i have real life stuff holding me up, does anything think of these things? but besides that games can only hold interest for so long before people want to move onto the next great thing e.t.c, especially when it comes to theme park games because lets face it, we as a community have become spoilt and constantly want better, no 1 company will be able to keep up with that.
    Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
  • f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by charlizd
    I dont know why people feel these graphs are acurate, they only reflect the people who actually use them right? i dont use Xfire anymore, haven't for years. And i really dont know why people feel it has failed, people can log back in when ever they feel like without paying a dime so it is bound to be up and down imo, i play the game very casually, have not logged in for two weeks now but not because i am bore, but because i have real life stuff holding me up, does anything think of these things? but besides that games can only hold interest for so long before people want to move onto the next great thing e.t.c, especially when it comes to theme park games because lets face it, we as a community have become spoilt and constantly want better, no 1 company will be able to keep up with that.

It's cool that you havent used it for years but keep it in your signature. Way to be lazy bro

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    OP, I could neither read your post nor could I read the article you linked to. Not for lack of trying though, Just that nothing you said or linked to, hasn't been discussed litterall to death countles times. That blog? Yeah, nothing new there, We all know about the history of the MMO and what it's lead to. Seriously, you gotta do better.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

So website traffic stats are in accurate too? Ok.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by sofakingdumb

Because after I played CB, I warned all the Fan Bois they sound silly over hyping the game. They just trolled me, and usually this site banned my account for 2 weeks and removed or blocked my threads. Even though THE SAME OR OTHER critics were writting here...or even though the trolls used super nasty language, they prefer to cover up the truth and promote fan boi trolls. Any ways... Read and weep. I think this far down the road every one knows this game has flopped already. 

http://my.mmosite.com/2281165/blog/item/death_of_an_industry_or_why_isnt_anyone_playing_guild_wars_2.html

"Guild Wars 2 was not the revolution it was supposed to be, I don't care what sites like MMORPG.com says. They can tout the success of the game all they want, but I see parallels  to titles like The Old Republic and Age of Conan. Both of those had great first time sales and the community proclaimed them to be huge hits. Both of those faded quickly, were relabeled failures, and repackaged as free to play titles.

At least GW2 did away with the monthly fee to begin with. Yet, it still feels like no one wants to play the damn thing already. Everyone bought it because they believed someone finally got it right, and while they made progress, they did not break the glass ceiling.

Most, if not all MMO's, do see a drop in player activity after that first month. Once the newness wears off people go looking for the next big thing, and the real testament to a games life span is how many people come back. I have yet to see a single friend log in in weeks, and I've checked multiple times a day just to see for myself if they do. "

ahahahahha

All I will post is a Mark Twain quote - "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

• CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923
    Originally posted by f0dell54

It's cool that you havent used it for years but keep it in your signature. Way to be lazy bro

Yeah i know, i dont frequent these forums too much lol and now my signature is freaking huge :(

Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
This discussion has been closed.