Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Halloween skins are on the TP!!

Comments

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by Creslin321
    Originally posted by Doomedfox

I do not understand all the fuss about the event.

Honestly what did you all expect?

Its  a B2P game it needs this stuff to make the cash.

If you want Holiday events where you can get the rewards for doing special Holidayquests and such go to a P2P game.

Nothing is free so its only natural that GW2 will milk its players whenever there is an opportunity and everyone who would have thought about that before could have (and a lot did) told you before the game releases that it will turn out this way. 

And the funniest thing is that you don't even need to spend any money (even counting gold) to participate in the event!  You can do the scavenger hunt, the costume brawl, the pumpkin carving stuff, the new mini-dungeon, and the new recipes for FREE.  Yes FREE.  You just logon and do them.

The ONLY things that ANet is marketing are essentially skins...that's it.  SKINS.  Everything else is provided 100% free to folks that purchased GW2.

And despite this fact, we still have all this BS moral outrage.  You folks won't be satisfied until a company develops a game for you, and then pays you to play it lol.

You are missing the point where several of us are willing to pay a high monthly fee to avoid several "company tactics" we dislike. It is not about the money, per se.

what are you avoiding? Gold buying exists in pretty much every MMO, regulated or non regulated. Cash shops exists in pretty much every MMO, thankfully some such as GW2 keeps it just to cosmetics and traditional services. Gambling exists in pretty much all MMO's regulated or not. What exactly are you avoiding? Bots? Nope most seem to have those as well. Spam? nope most seem to have those as well. Can't think of anything you are avoiding yet... 

Lets see gambling... what company promotes gambling, who could it be?

WoW with it's loot cards maybe? http://www.wowlootcards.com/

Rifts scratch off tickets? http://www.riftjunkies.com/2012/01/02/rift-mobile/

The above isn't just some cosmetic fluff crap like in GW2 either. Crafting mats, artifacts, mounts, gear, etc. lol... 

What is your monthly fee avoiding exactly? lol... 

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

If you want Holiday events where you can get the rewards for doing special Holidayquests and such go to a P2P game.

Nothing is free so its only natural that GW2 will milk its players whenever there is an opportunity and everyone who would have thought about that before could have (and a lot did) told you before the game releases that it will turn out this way. 

And the funniest thing is that you don't even need to spend any money (even counting gold) to participate in the event!  You can do the scavenger hunt, the costume brawl, the pumpkin carving stuff, the new mini-dungeon, and the new recipes for FREE.  Yes FREE.  You just logon and do them.

The ONLY things that ANet is marketing are essentially skins...that's it.  SKINS.  Everything else is provided 100% free to folks that purchased GW2.

And despite this fact, we still have all this BS moral outrage.  You folks won't be satisfied until a company develops a game for you, and then pays you to play it lol.

You are missing the point where several of us are willing to pay a high monthly fee to avoid several "company tactics" we dislike. It is not about the money, per se.

what are you avoiding? Gold buying exists in pretty much every MMO, regulated or non regulated. Cash shops exists in pretty much every MMO, thankfully some such as GW2 keeps it just to cosmetics and traditional services. Gambling exists in pretty much all MMO's regulated or not. What exactly are you avoiding? Bots? Nope most seem to have those as well. Spam? nope most seem to have those as well. Can't think of anything you are avoiding yet... 

The above isn't just some cosmetic fluff crap like in GW2 either. Crafting mats, artifacts, mounts, gear, etc. lol... 

The Rift thing doesn't look like you pay real money for it...just a scratch off game that comes with their free app.

But the WoW one...yeah...that's probably more extreme than what GW2 is doing.  Unique mounts for trading cards.

And this is for a sub-game.  So really, you either choose to have a game with random box of goodies stuff AND a sub, or a game with random box of goodies stuff without a sub.

I honestly don't know why you would choose to pay for a sub AND have he box of goodies stuff as well.

Also, I don't know about you guys, but I pretty much expect to have access to EVERYTHING in the game if I am paying a sub.  I get annoyed when companies have a sub and an extensive cash shop.  Just greedy.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

You honestly believe that offering some cosmetic crap and fairly inconsequential boosters in "random boxes of goodies" that can essentially be bought for money OR gold OR obtained by playing the game is a "horrid company tactic?"  There is literally ZERO reason for you to participate in the BLC crap if you don't want to...you will NEVER be at a gameplay disadvantage for ignoring them.

There are games out there that put powerful items in boxes of goodies that you pretty much need to be competetive.  THAT is bad.  THAT essentially forces players to buy them and waste money if they want to play and be competitive.

Skins and boosters that no one really even needs?  Yeah, not a big deal.

As I posted in the other thread: assume that 99% of the playerbase likes the practice of "paying real money in exchange for extra power", would it still be wrong of the company to do that practice? 

I am of the opinion that an ideal system for myself would be: "Every item and content in the game should only be obtainable through playing the game."  and I am willing to pay far higher fees to play a good such game, but certainly not enough to fund a whole good game alone.

A "horrid company tactic" would be to not establish enough temporary customer support through staffing company. Another one would be to use sex to abuse the high hormone levels among people inside the stage of puberty. Another one is  to allow your own company to sell ingame currency for real money but ban the players who try to do same thing. Another one would be to cut costs by not releasing the game with decent anti-hacking protection. Another one is to make promises you do not keep.  Another one is to give a false impression by omitting to tell certain details.  

Of course this is all a matter of opinion. Just because there are "bigger evils" out there, specially in the free-to-play market, it doesn't mean that one should look past all "lesser evils". 

The Rift thing doesn't look like you pay real money for it...just a scratch off game that comes with their free app.

But the WoW one...yeah...that's probably more extreme than what GW2 is doing.  Unique mounts for trading cards.

And this is for a sub-game.  So really, you either choose to have a game with random box of goodies stuff AND a sub, or a game with random box of goodies stuff without a sub.

I honestly don't know why you would choose to pay for a sub AND have he box of goodies stuff as well.

Also, I don't know about you guys, but I pretty much expect to have access to EVERYTHING in the game if I am paying a sub.  I get annoyed when companies have a sub and an extensive cash shop.  Just greedy.

The Rift beta app currently gives you 6 free credits for scratch off tickets. There is supposed to be a means of purchasing extra credits later on. 

You honestly believe that offering some cosmetic crap and fairly inconsequential boosters in "random boxes of goodies" that can essentially be bought for money OR gold OR obtained by playing the game is a "horrid company tactic?"  There is literally ZERO reason for you to participate in the BLC crap if you don't want to...you will NEVER be at a gameplay disadvantage for ignoring them.

There are games out there that put powerful items in boxes of goodies that you pretty much need to be competetive.  THAT is bad.  THAT essentially forces players to buy them and waste money if they want to play and be competitive.

As I posted in the other thread: assume that 99% of the playerbase likes the practice of "paying real money in exchange for extra power", would it still be wrong of the company to do that practice? 

I am of the opinion that an ideal system for myself would be: "Every item and content in the game should only be obtainable through playing the game."  and I am willing to pay far higher fees to play a good such game, but certainly not enough to fund a whole good game alone.

A "horrid company tactic" would be to not establish enough temporary customer support through staffing company. Another one would be to use sex to abuse the high hormone levels among people inside the stage of puberty. Another one is  to allow your own company to sell ingame currency for real money but ban the players who try to do same thing. Another one would be to cut costs by not releasing the game with decent anti-hacking protection. Another one is to make promises you do not keep.  Another one is to give a false impression by omitting to tell certain details.  

Of course this is all a matter of opinion. Just because there are "bigger evils" out there, specially in the free-to-play market, it doesn't mean that one should look past all "lesser evils". 

LOL, I love your examples of horrid company tactics.  They read like this to me:

A horrid company tactic would be something like murdering your father because he owes you five bucks.  Or poisoning a family's water supply because they cut you off on the highway.  Or pushing the wrong button on an elevator so everyone has to wait while the door opens and no one gets out.  Or jaywalking.

Just because you put what you think is bad in the same paragraph with things that everyone thinks are bad...does not make them as bad ;).

See reply to Creslin above this quote.  That WoW stuff sounds bad. As for the RIFT ones: do they offer you a service to pay them real money to get more attempts and do they hide the probabilties of the rare items (I am simply asking)?

The Rift beta app currently gives you 6 free credits for scratch off tickets. There is supposed to be a means of purchasing extra credits later on. 

Ah I see, thanks.

LOL, I love your examples of horrid company tactics.  They read like this to me:

A horrid company tactic would be something like murdering your father because he owes you five bucks.  Or poisoning a family's water supply because they cut you off on the highway.  Or pushing the wrong button on an elevator so everyone has to wait while the door opens and no one gets out.  Or jaywalking.

Just because you put what you think is bad in the same paragraph with things that everyone thinks are bad...does not make them as bad ;).

Which is precisely why I wrote: "Of course this is all a matter of opinion.". I simply wrote down examples of what I consider horrid company tactics without comparing them with each other. 

Furthermore, I do realize that there are people who think all those tactics are okay. 

• SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202

*sniff*...but my friends shoulderpads are so cool looking and mine are..so..so...plain. It's not fair.

Originally posted by SoulStain

*sniff*...but my friends shoulderpads are so cool looking and mine are..so..so...plain. It's not fair.

So are you implying that you cry when someone beats you mainly due to having superior gear obtained through the item mall? 

So are you implying that you cry when someone beats you mainly due to having superior gear obtained through the item mall? 

I get it now, you believe that since the armor looks so cool it distracts others giving the wearer an advantage...  "I was going to kill him... but his shoulder pads were so cool looking that I had to stop and admire them instead of delivering the finishing blow."

I get it now, you believe that since the armor looks so cool it distracts others giving the wearer an advantage...  "I was going to kill him... but his shoulder pads were so cool looking that I had to stop and admire them instead of delivering the finishing blow."

I was under the impression that he considers "crying" to be acceptable in PvP advantage case but not in cosmetic case, which would be odd. 

I was under the impression that he considers "crying" to be acceptable in PvP advantage case but not in cosmetic case, which would be odd. 

Why would that be odd?  In the PvP advantage case, you are basically forced into buying crap with real money to be competitive in the game.  In the cosmetic case, you can completely ignore the cash shop and still be just as effective as some dude that spend $10,000 in it.

I would think that the PvP advantage case would warrant crying lol :).

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Why would that be odd?  In the PvP advantage case, you are basically forced into buying crap with real money to be competitive in the game.  In the cosmetic case, you can completely ignore the cash shop and still be just as effective as some dude that spend $10,000 in it.

But you are forgetting......it's better to look good than to feel good.

(...)

Because I don't think "crying" is acceptable behaviour in most games, except in those situations where something really tragic happened in the game narrative.  Losing in PvP or PvE for whatever reason is not grounds for crying, in my opinion; criticizing is fine, but crying nope, that's where I draw a line. 

Originally posted by grimal

But you are forgetting......it's better to look good than to feel good.

This is so true and it is funny to what lengths people, including myself, are willing to go to just "look good" in real life. For instance, I rather be late than to appear with messy hair. 

(...)

Because I don't think "crying" is acceptable behaviour in most games, except in those situations where something really tragic happened in the game narrative.  Losing in PvP or PvE for whatever reason is not grounds for crying, in my opinion; criticizing is fine, but crying nope, that's where I draw a line. 

Please don't tell me that you are arguing based on your literal interpretation of something that was clearly meant to be figurative ;).

(...)

Please don't tell me that you are arguing based on your literal interpretation of something that was clearly meant to be figurative ;).

So you mean "crying" as in "critcizing" or what kind of figure was he trying to paint? 

Edit: Or perhaps just shouting "noob, you only won because of $" or "lol you only look nice because of $"? Because in such case the sentiment I had regarding crying is the same: not acceptable behaviour.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by Vhaln
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Corehaven

*snip*

An yea, rare is rare.  Meaning most people won't have it.  Meaning if you do you are wearing a rare digital item.  Or?  You're like "most people".  Now if 90% of everyone got something in the game unfairly and you didn't I suppose I could understand some grief.  That is not the case here.  I think its safe to say that in an mmo you will never get all the goodies therein.  You may accept that, or be constantly grieved.  Up to you. 

i agree and hopefully they don't cave to much and we start seeing legendaries givin away in grab bags at the christmas event...

Guess I just disagree with the idea that holiday event items should be on par with legendaries.  It's not that I want everything the other guy has.. it's more like, I just thought holiday events were about giving out fun goodies to everyone, and less about extra special items for the luckiest, richest, most hardcore, or whatever.  

I'm fine with rares being rare, and legendaries being legendary..but this is just halloween.  I kinda just thought they'd be throwing around candy, in the form of themed skins and stuff like that.  A few rares might be cool, but mostly, I just thought it would be stuff for everyone.

Holiday events, like most things involving the game outside the box price, are on par with monetisation.

The games future is funded by a cash shop.  Shops work in the principle of attracting you with items/services you want. Expect more of this in the future, they'll put things in place to try and encourage you to spend money. There has to be some funding model and personally it's not one I like, but that's another discussion.

That's the deal with GW2, anyone who ignores that or tries to claim otherwise because they think ANET are, 'good guys', are deluded at best.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

(...)

So you mean "crying" as in "critcizing" or what kind of figure was he trying to paint? 

Edit: Or perhaps just shouting "noob, you only won because of $" or "lol you only look nice because of $"? Because in such case the sentiment I had regarding crying is the same: not acceptable behaviour.

It's kind of like...when someone says "stop QQing," no one thinks that the other person is ACTUALLY tearing up.  It's just a phrase...btw, "crying" as it is used here typically refers to complaining not criticizing.

(...)

It's kind of like...when someone says "stop QQing," no one thinks that the other person is ACTUALLY tearing up.  It's just a phrase...btw, "crying" as it is used here typically refers to complaining not criticizing.

For the sake of clarification of your view, could you give me an example of a sentence which you would find acceptable as a complaint about PvP and a similar one that would not be acceptable as a complaint about vanity items? (The complaints in the example should not be criticism either)

(...)

For the sake of clarification of your view, could you give me an example of a sentence which you would find acceptable as a complaint about PvP and a similar one that would not be acceptable as a complaint about vanity items? (The complaints in the example should not be criticism either)

Acceptable complaint:

I just got beat by a guy who bought an uber sword for $10.  The only way I could ever have a hope against him is to buy that same sword for $10, so I am forced to buy the sword to compete.

Unacceptable complaint:

I just got beat by a dude that has these awesome looking pants that he paid $10 for.  While the pants didn't give him any advantage in the fight, they looked really cool and I want them, but I shouldn't have to pay $10 for them.

(...)

Acceptable complaint:

I just got beat by a guy who bought an uber sword for $10.  The only way I could ever have a hope against him is to buy that same sword for $10, so I am forced to buy the sword to compete.

Unacceptable complaint:

I just got beat by a dude that has these awesome looking pants that he paid $10 for.  While the pants didn't give him any advantage in the fight, they looked really cool and I want them, but I shouldn't have to pay $10 for them.

Thank you for the example.

Would you find following complaint to be unacceptable too?:

I just saw this awesome outfit that would look so nice on my character. However, to get it I would have to pay $10. *sad face*

(...)

Acceptable complaint:

Unacceptable complaint:

Thank you for the example.

Would you find following complaint to be unacceptable too?:

I just saw this awesome outfit that would look so nice on my character. However, to get it I would have to pay $10. *sad face*

I think it's context...I mean, if someone said that, I wouldn't jump on them or anything.  And in a P2P game, I would think that's a completely valid complaint...you pay a subscription, you shouldn't get milked for more money.

But at the same time, if an MMORPG has no subscription fee, you kind of have to accept that the game company needs to make money somehow.  Selling cosmetic stuff is not a terrible way to do this.  And in the case of GW2, you are getting a lot of new content just for FREE, and you are under no pressure at all to spend money on the CS, it's all 100% optional...AND you can get that stuff with gold from just playing the game.

So in general, it could be a valid complaint.  In GW2, I don't think it is.

• Rhianni32Rhianni32 Member Posts: 222

Before we get to far into calling those that bought keys as stupid and idiots....

100 keys = 9,000 gems (going off the 5 keys for 450 gem price)

800 gems for $10 = $112 spent to get nothing halloween related. We aren't talking about not getting a different halloween costume or weapon skin then they wanted... nothing. They don't even have anything they can trade to get what they want as what does pop out of the chest is account bound. Of course people are going to be pissed. 

Second thing to consider about these people people seem to love to talk bad about....

they are the ones keeping this from having a subscription and keeping it free for the rest of us.

Lastly. On the point of ANet "caving" to demand. You guys do understand how our entire world wide system of commerce works right? Customers get to choose where they spend their money. If they are unhappy they tell the company about it. They then choose if they want to spend more money or not. The company gets to decide if they meet their customers wishes or find new customers.