Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I hear all these people saying...

Comments

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Galadourn

it would work with minimal turbine-generated content, and plenty of tools to give players the option to make their own content. And a strict ruleset to regulate the player-generated content (i.e. alignment penalties, Security Levels, etc).

You cannot imagine what players are capable of doing, if you give them the tools and make it fun. A living, breathing world without any lines of code required for public quests and other similar crap.

The fact that the world was sparsely populated would be an excellent incentive to focus on terittory control, player city-building, local economies, etc.

That's the problem though.  If the vast wilderness of middle earth became this populated hub of player activity, then it sort of stops being middle earth.  Maybe they could get away with it by setting it in the past or in the future, but the further from the triligoy they go, the less connection there is to the IP for most people.  If set in the future, you'd have next to no elves, or evil races.  Just humans and hobits which, to my knowledge, are hinted at starting to grow into men as time goes on.

If it was set in the past, it could work based on the assumption that any player cities or activities just get burried in time anyway.  The world is full of ruins, so it wouldn't be a tough sell on the lore side of things.  Unfortunately, it would feel like middle earth in geography only.

Not saying it couldnt' be done, just that a themepark design seems to make more sense.  Themepark isn't bad, despite what a lot of people here claim.  Like anything, it just has to be done well.  We all know there are a ton of crappy sandbox games out there.

You make me like charity

• Nebula131Nebula131 Member Posts: 22

well, i played lotro for quite some time, and after now having some serious "meh...i wanna play something with a great community again" moments am currently patching up-to-date.

i think it is a fine game. it is a themepark, yes. but the story of the books is so well immersed, you can see stuff and go like "aah...wow, here i am" and "oh look, i read about that in..."

also anti-social is not quite what i would say. sure you can't go in every dungeon if you haven't got the quest. but the social options and emotes make a fine social game of it.

if you don't want to "fight through middle earth" then don't do it, go to bree or rivendell and sit with friends around a fire (that would then be "live in middle earth" and there are quite a few folks who do that)

surely i got some points that i find a bit negative. and of course a totally sandboxed MEO could be an awesome game with exploration and such. but it could also go horribly wrong in case of community matters ("you heard about that elven raider guild that practically burned down the shire and killed everyone there and then made their player city there? - yeah, i heard the hobbits went to settle down around Amon Sûl now")

fact is, i was quite happy with lotro (not so the case with swg nge) and hope when patching is finally done i get to live and fight in middle earth again because to live the most deciding factor is the community and not the game itself.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

It does have, hands down, the greatest community out of any MMO I've played.  People are respectful, polite, willing to help out, and offer advice.  It feels like walking into my local gaming club, surrounded by good people that I may or may not actually know.

I played on Landroval, so can only vouch for that server, but I rarely hear someone complain about the community on any server.

You make me like charity

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

well, Darkfall uses a pre-set city-building plan (you can only build in specific areas), and also NPC cities are non-attackable, so that wouldn't be a problem.

It would be a great idea, if only a company were brave enough to try it.

• EdrogarEdrogar Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Originally posted by trancejeremy
    Yup, that was a completely different game from another company that never materialized.

Wrong.

I don't understand why people keep making this mistake.

Middle Earth Online was in development by Sierra in 1999. It got shut down.

Vivendi and Turbine began developing a game called Middle Earth Online in about 2003 , and continued to develop it until it launched as Lord of the Rings Online.

In Alpha, LotRO was a sandbox game being made by veteran Turbine devs. It's tag line was "live in Middle Earth". The game was very community based, sandbox and book accuracy focus. The devs hosted events once a year called Turbine Nation where people came together and got to see the game as it came along, play in various events and raffles, essentially a big party.

Well, about a year before LotRO's launch, Vivendi lost the rights to Lord of the Rings, and Turbine gained entire control over the MMO. Turbine changed Middle Earth Online's name to LotRO, shuffled most of the veteran staff to other projects, and put new developers at the helm of LotRO. They quickly scrapped most of the old work and restructured the game to be a quest based WoW clone. There were no more yearly Turbine Nation gathering, the community disintegrated. The game tag line was changed to "Fight through Middle Earth!".

It was essentially the NGE, but because it happened in beta, people don't talk about it nearly as much. But for those that were there, we felt betrayed. It splintered the community, kinships fell apart. Then they announced there wouldn't be any international servers, after promising the opposite, and the remaining kinships fractured again.

Don't believe that Turbine was working on it? Here's the pre alpha trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk0ogD_HMn0

Also, in before "hurp derp that looks like crap, glad they changed it".

OMG. herp derp.  y u no realize that Turbine work on Middle Earth Online with Sierra?

Overreact much? geesh.

No. They didn't. Turbine worked with VIVENDI on Middle Earth Online.

The Sierra MEO was an entirely different project that never saw the light of day.

Erm, you do know that vivendi's parent company (Vivendi Interactive Studios) was the holding company for Siera Entertainment (and Blizzard). The Siera MEO was never dropped fully, Siera's development got dropped and shifted to the parent company, much of Siera's work was used to create the Vivendi/Turbine version of MEO. 

There was also a little bit of juicy conspiracy theorism going on around the time that Vivendi got dropped and Turbine took full control. The conspiracy hinged on the fact that around that time Vivendi Interactive Studios bought out Universal Studios, one of Warber Brothers rivals, and became Vivendi Universal Games, which they say explains why they were dropped and why their work was trashed. Or on the other hand you could view it that after acquiring Universal Studios they decided that working for a rival was a bad idea and pulled out taking their work with them and refusing to allow turbine to use any of it. I doubt we will ever know.

• ThenextbigthingThenextbigthing Member Posts: 104

For me the great thing about lotro is that the social aspect of the game isn't restricted to dungeons and instances and finding groups to quest with. In most other mmos if you don't do group quests you won't interact with anyone apart from through general chat or your mates in /tell.

At least in lotro there are lots of social things going on. I play on Laurelin and there is random RP pretty much everywhere, plenty of organised roleplaying events (Hobbit night in the Green Dragon every Friday for example). So if the levelling gets grindy there are other things to do even if you aren't in a good fellowship.

I liked solo questing, so I get my mmo fix by roleplaying with other PCs in the game. To be honest it's the only game since UO where this happens regularly and successfully. I was thinking the other day as well that the Rohirrim in Great River, even though they don't have voice acting, have more depth and feel much more real and alive than the NPCs in ToR ever felt.

Having said all that a few more sandbox elements would be good. More interactivity with objects in the open world and not just in player houses would be interesting. They introduced the abilty to sit on some chairs in taverns a while back, stuff like that.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Cranktrain

Vivendi and Turbine began developing a game called Middle Earth Online in about 2003 , and continued to develop it until it launched as Lord of the Rings Online.

In Alpha, LotRO was a sandbox game being made by veteran Turbine devs. It's tag line was "live in Middle Earth". The game was very community based, sandbox and book accuracy focus. The devs hosted events once a year called Turbine Nation where people came together and got to see the game as it came along, play in various events and raffles, essentially a big party.

Well, about a year before LotRO's launch, Vivendi lost the rights to Lord of the Rings, and Turbine gained entire control over the MMO. Turbine changed Middle Earth Online's name to LotRO, shuffled most of the veteran staff to other projects, and put new developers at the helm of LotRO. They quickly scrapped most of the old work and restructured the game to be a quest based WoW clone. There were no more yearly Turbine Nation gathering, the community disintegrated. The game tag line was changed to "Fight through Middle Earth!".

That's actually... a really sad story. It's sad to hear that what could have been an actually interesting game was stomped all over.

Will probably never know why they didnt continue with MEO, but one thing is clear, LOTRO is not the game people wanted, and its utter failure in the MMO market is a clear indication of that, MEO might have failed too, but i think it would have had more of a chance of success than LOTRO did, when you look back at things now, its no wonder that LOTRO went F2P, its probably only a matter of time really before the plug is pulled on it altogether, and after playing the game before it went F2P, and after, i can't really say thats a bad thing. image

LotrO is one of the most succsefull post-wow MMOs released and still going strong for over five years. 

Changing to a superior buisnes model doesnt mean failure its called being smart. 

You haters dont need Middle earth online. You already live in a fantasy world :)

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by immodium

A Lord of the Rings MMO should just focus on creating a huge, living world for players to play in, like EVE for example. I also would allow players to pick Evil races and have the game evolve around territory control.

Sandbox is the way to go for Lord of the Rings, and anything less is doomed to fail.

Wasn't MEO set after the events of the ring being destroyed in Mount Doom (4th age)? All dark forces had been eradicated so you couldn't really be an orc, goblin etc.

Honestly, I wouldn't have a clue how MEO would work.

It was set right after the Fellowship escaped Moria. Each expansion would advance the Fellowship further ahead. You'd hear whispers of their journey but never meet them. It was a very explicit goal for you not to just get quests from a stationary Fellowship.

Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Cranktrain

That's actually... a really sad story. It's sad to hear that what could have been an actually interesting game was stomped all over.

Will probably never know why they didnt continue with MEO, but one thing is clear, LOTRO is not the game people wanted, and its utter failure in the MMO market is a clear indication of that, MEO might have failed too, but i think it would have had more of a chance of success than LOTRO did, when you look back at things now, its no wonder that LOTRO went F2P, its probably only a matter of time really before the plug is pulled on it altogether, and after playing the game before it went F2P, and after, i can't really say thats a bad thing. image

All the trade reports say that LotRO is bleeding WB (LotRO's publishers) dry and barely making enough money to stay afloat.

Middle Earth Online may not have lasted long term, but it would have been a bit more prolific I think, considering LotRO is so bland and unoriginal there's not a ton you can really say about it. If it wasn't for the Lord of the Rings brand it would have faded away long ago.

Originally posted by immodium

it would work with minimal turbine-generated content, and plenty of tools to give players the option to make their own content. And a strict ruleset to regulate the player-generated content (i.e. alignment penalties, Security Levels, etc).

A sandbox, in other words.

I think that would ruin Middle Earth in my eyes. They would have to be so restrictive to what players can do to not broke lore/immersion.

For example NO new building of towns.

But it could allow building houses in towns, like exists now. Besides, the LotR lore never stopped Turbine from just inventing things and breaking the lore. I don't think invented towns would be much of a stretch.

Originally posted by asmkm22

It does have, hands down, the greatest community out of any MMO I've played.  People are respectful, polite, willing to help out, and offer advice.  It feels like walking into my local gaming club, surrounded by good people that I may or may not actually know.

I played on Landroval, so can only vouch for that server, but I rarely hear someone complain about the community on any server.

And as good as it is now, it was a thousand times better before. I don't say that lightly. The pre LotRO community was unlike anything I've ever seen in gaming, period. The vast majority of prolific community leaders left after Turbine revealed the changes to the game.

Originally posted by Nebula131

well, i played lotro for quite some time, and after now having some serious "meh...i wanna play something with a great community again" moments am currently patching up-to-date.

i think it is a fine game. it is a themepark, yes. but the story of the books is so well immersed, you can see stuff and go like "aah...wow, here i am" and "oh look, i read about that in..." Right, and all of that would have been a lot better without the invisible walls, impassable mountains, instances and quest lock outs that prevent you from actually exploring.

also anti-social is not quite what i would say. I would. Nobody groups unless there's a group quest and the way the game is set up makes it damn near impossible to group with friends and do a quest together because you have to ALL be on the same step.  sure you can't go in every dungeon if you haven't got the quest. but the social options and emotes make a fine social game of it. Every game has emotes, that doesn't make it social.

if you don't want to "fight through middle earth" then don't do it, go to bree or rivendell and sit with friends around a fire (that would then be "live in middle earth" and there are quite a few folks who do that) There are no game mechanics that support that style of play. I can sit in an Inn and chat for only so long. The difference is, in a sandbox game, there would be gameplay reasons to sit in an Inn like in SWG, where people went there to buff and heal.

surely i got some points that i find a bit negative. and of course a totally sandboxed MEO could be an awesome game with exploration and such. but it could also go horribly wrong in case of community matters ("you heard about that elven raider guild that practically burned down the shire and killed everyone there and then made their player city there? - yeah, i heard the hobbits went to settle down around Amon Sûl now") Sandbox does not mean FFA PVP.

fact is, i was quite happy with lotro (not so the case with swg nge) and hope when patching is finally done i get to live and fight in middle earth again because to live the most deciding factor is the community and not the game itself.

i think it is a fine game. it is a themepark, yes. but the story of the books is so well immersed, you can see stuff and go like "aah...wow, here i am" and "oh look, i read about that in..." Right, and all of that would have been a lot better without the invisible walls, impassable mountains, instances and quest lock outs that prevent you from actually exploring.

also anti-social is not quite what i would say. I would. Nobody groups unless there's a group quest and the way the game is set up makes it damn near impossible to group with friends and do a quest together because you have to ALL be on the same step.  sure you can't go in every dungeon if you haven't got the quest. but the social options and emotes make a fine social game of it. Every game has emotes, that doesn't make it social.

if you don't want to "fight through middle earth" then don't do it, go to bree or rivendell and sit with friends around a fire (that would then be "live in middle earth" and there are quite a few folks who do that) There are no game mechanics that support that style of play. I can sit in an Inn and chat for only so long. The difference is, in a sandbox game, there would be gameplay reasons to sit in an Inn like in SWG, where people went there to buff and heal.

surely i got some points that i find a bit negative. and of course a totally sandboxed MEO could be an awesome game with exploration and such. but it could also go horribly wrong in case of community matters ("you heard about that elven raider guild that practically burned down the shire and killed everyone there and then made their player city there? - yeah, i heard the hobbits went to settle down around Amon Sûl now") Sandbox does not mean FFA PVP.

Is your first point a joke? All fantasy mmos use mountains and natural barriers to edge zones, EQ, EQII, AoC etc... etc.. Lotro is more explorable than most games, you can climb the mountains and access everything you can see in the zone. I was up high on a hill in Great River looking across the hills and forests and knowing that I could get to everything in the zone. It's not on rails like SWtoR. There are plenty of games where the features within a zone aren't accessible but lotro isn't one of them.

If you are going to criticise this game then at least tell the truth otherwise no one will have respect for your opinions.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by Entris38
    If I remember correctly it had once been "MEO---Middle Earth Online", I don't believe Turbine was even in the picture then. I do believe that was scrapped. I was in closed beta for Lotro and it has always been the same since then.

First wave of Beta as well and the game has not changed... has more content of course but the mechanics are the same since launch.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

I was in the alpha testing for Lotro and it was never a sandbox even back then. And those video links to MEO adverts show nothing to prove otherwise either. 

Lotro has always struggled to improve its gameplay over the years but unfortunately the mechanics reached their limits with MoM xpac I believe and their graphics never improved past that xpac either. 

As a result, the only way Turbine is able to stay in business is to become a pay-to-win cash shop as they have done. 

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

I probably already posted this, but oh well.  There are two versions of LOTRO.  The game as it was released, and the game after the move to F2P. 

LOTRO was always a good game.  It was never a great game.  It was also very basic.  Everything was easy to do, easy to play.  The best thing about LOTRO was the in game community, which was clearly evident even in closed Beta.  I think the age of the player base was and is older.

The game was never a sandbox game.  If you played WOW, it took you about 30 seconds to figure out how to play this game.  There was never any great system that LOTRO touted, the best of the game was and is the music (not the /music system, which was evolded from AC2....but the actual in game music).

It did not sell very well.  They have never really marketed it well, and they offered a Lifetime Subscription on release which a lot of people actually took.  This totally backfired on Turbine, because those people paid a one time fee of a few hundred dollars and never paid another dime.  Once people started leaving, which happens in every game, the percentage of the player base was even more Lifers.

So they had to make the game F2P.  And there the game changed.  You got an inkling of it before hand with the reputation system that was included in a patch.  LOTRO always had the deed system, which was a huge grind.  Now there was a reputation system, which was another huge grind.

And they kept on adding grinds, so much so that it may be the grindiest non Asian MMO ever to exist.  Deeds, Reputation, an awful Legendary Item system, legendary relic upgrade system, token grinds for scrolls to upgrade your loot, a shard refining system to refine and combine your relics into better ones, a skirmish grind system for better loot, crafting grinds, PVP grinds....it took a lot of fun out of the game.

The move to F2P also meant that they had to redesign the way they made expansions.  The original game was sprawled out over all the zones, but now they had to sell everything in the Turbine Store in little chunks.  So goodbye were the quest chains that took you to other places, and in came the massive quest hub system so prominent in themepark games.

Go here, get 12 quests that all revlove around killing X of Y or interacting with X of Y, come back and get the meta-quest for that hub and then go on to the next hub.  If you played Mirkwood, you know what I am talking about.

If you play the game, you play it because it's an open, seamless world (more or less) and you like the story or lore behind the main quest line which is many hundreds of quests long.  Some arcs are very good, like the Angmar one.  Some are forgetable, like Endenwaith.

The regular quests are lame, so much so that it is very hard to read them as they all are basically the same.  Something epic is happening to some NPC, usually withing 200 meters, and he needs you to deal with it which involves killing about 8 somethings or looting 8 somethings.  He will give you a reward, which you will sell in three seconds to a nearby vendor.

The classes are all well thought out and the two newer classes (Warden and Runekeeper) are two of the great MMO classes.

Despite Turbines hated way of trying to bleed their customers out of every nickel, the game is still good.  It will never be great though.

Originally posted by Czanrei

I was in the alpha testing for Lotro and it was never a sandbox even back then. And those video links to MEO adverts show nothing to prove otherwise either. 

Lotro has always struggled to improve its gameplay over the years but unfortunately the mechanics reached their limits with MoM xpac I believe and their graphics never improved past that xpac either. 

As a result, the only way Turbine is able to stay in business is to become a pay-to-win cash shop as they have done. 

Well the npc models and environment details are far superior in the Isengard and now the RoR expansion, so I don't agree.

Just out of interest have you played lotro since alpha testing?

Originally posted by Thenextbigthing

Is your first point a joke? Not at all. All fantasy mmos use mountains and natural barriers to edge zones, EQ, EQII, AoC etc... etc.. No, they don't. Many themeparks do, sure. Vanguard, SWG, Darkfall, Fallen Earth, Asheron's Call, many good games do not. Not to mention LotRO is based on worlds that already exist and are mapped out. There were never impassable mountains in The Shire, but LotRO sticks them there, rather than making a cohesive game world. They put up funnels and little hills you can't go over, destroying the way Middle Earth actually works. No other game that I know of makes instances that tell you you cannot enter without a quest either. Instancing in general is just bad game design. Lotro is more explorable than most games AHAHAHAHHAHAAH no. I tried exploring in LotRO and got insta killed by the game (game, not mob) because I was in an area that was too high for my level. And the aforementioned dungeons you can't enter... , you can climb the mountains and access everything you can see in the zone. Except what's beyond those mountains. "You can access everything you can see in this small cage! I was up high on a hill in Great River looking across the hills and forests and knowing that I could get to everything in the zone. That's great, I couldn't even get to that zone because the game doesn't let you. It's not on rails like SWtoR. It pretty much is.

If you are going to criticise this game then at least tell the truth otherwise no one will have respect for your opinions.

I have told the truth, you have not. Or you're telling the truth from a HORRIBLY limited perspective.

I was in the alpha testing for Lotro and it was never a sandbox even back then.

That's because by the time they changed the name to LotRO, they had changed the gameplay to be a WoW clone. Were you in alpha testing for MIDDLE EARTH ONLINE? Because that's a bit different.

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329

That's because by the time they changed the name to LotRO, they had changed the gameplay to be a WoW clone. Were you in alpha testing for MIDDLE EARTH ONLINE? Because that's a bit different.

HA! 

That was epic, one of the best counter-attack i have seen on these forums.

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by xalvi

HA! 

Middle Earth Online never even made it out of concept stages, there was no alpha.

Yeah, great counter-argument!  /facepalm

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329
    Originally posted by GolbezTheLion

HA! 

Middle Earth Online never even made it out of concept stages, there was no alpha.

Well, im sorry i don't spend all my time and life devoted for gaming and useless information such as the one you provided me because there is no MEO. I saw a comment and someone countering it (regardless if it is false or not) and laughed irl. 

Truth be told...this is a WoW clone mmo so there you go.

Ill just resort to the typed emotion buttons    /facepalm

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

HA! 

Well, im sorry i don't spend all my time and life devoted for gaming and useless information such as the one you provided me because there is no MEO. I saw a comment and someone countering it (regardless if it is false or not) and laughed irl. 

Oh I see, so game companies are only allowed to make games in the genres YOU like...

Hmmm then I HATE Betheda for making open world single player rpgs. They should be making FPS instead! I like thoose.

The WOW clone argument is as stupid now as it was 5 years ago.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

HA! 

Er, yes it did... There were trailers and gameplay and dev roundtables at the Turbine Nation events, within the offices, and to the alpha testers. It was indeed a functioning game. Where did you think LotRO came from? Are you trying to imply MEO didn't become LotRO and that I'm just making this up?

Originally posted by Papadam

HA! 

Oh I see, so game companies are only allowed to make games in the genres YOU like...

Hmmm then I HATE Betheda for making open world single player rpgs. They should be making FPS instead! I like thoose.

The WOW clone argument is as stupid now as it was 5 years ago.

The WoW clone argument was never stupid. A game should never be a cheap carbon copy of another mediocre game. It should stand on its own. Much worse when you take a good game, remove all the good parts, just to be similar to WoW to try to cash in on a trend. Games should NEVER be made like that, or you get soulless tripe like LotRO and AoC and Rift.