Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOTRO or Vanguard SoH

FerriumFerrium Member Posts: 27
Im pretty much looking to play the more solid game with a better community (in the sense that everyone knows eachother, not player base), motivation to play, content. I dont mind paying, even if there is another MMO someone plays that they wanna mention, I am mostly looking for motivation to progress and community. None of my friends play MMOs anymore so i have no one to play with, and when i have people to play with and progress with that makes me stay. Used to play Conquer Online back in 07/08 and it had the best community of any MMO i've played. High levels all knew eachother, all guilds had allies/rivalries, Guild war was intense because of it.

Life is the best MMORPG. I PKed some noob yesterday and all my PK points are down... but the cops are still after me... WTF?

Comments

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Vsoh is far better over all than Lotro but you have to not be bothered by all the bugs.  The devs don't seem to be listening to us and the only bug fixes have to do with the new store.  There is less freedom in Lotro but far less bugs.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Both games are good-  Lotro has the Lore, story line, you can run it on a low level computer and the graphics still look good, it has a bigger community than Vanguard, the combat is a bit laggy but so is Vanguard, community is good in both games.

Vanguard has better crafting, it has a intersting card game that actually affects the whole area called Diplomacy, it has a ton of classes Lotro does not, it has pure wizzard classes lotro really does not, Graphics not as good as Lotro yet it does not run as well. Vanguard has a huge seemless world and is more challenging than Lotro.  In both games in order to play it to the fullest you have to spend money.

Both are F2P so you can get a feel for which one you like better

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

If it's a choice between only those 2, I say LOTRO. It has a ton of content, very pretty graphics, nice unique classes and is a LOT more user friendly.

Vanguard is a wonderful game, but we have to face the fact that it's dead. It is still very buggy (I can't even run it on my new PC and SOE support can't tell me why), it has no dev support so is never going to develop, it's not very user friendly. And most of all you can't really play it free. SOE F2P in any of their games is just a glorified free trial. LOTRO on the other hand has a very good F2P system where you can pay for what you want when you want it, and even grind stuff to earn points rather than spend money.

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256
    I'm going to have to say LOTRO as well. It's a better game all around. There are simply to many things wrong with Vanguard, and there's also hardly anyone playing it anyway. LOTRO has some great PVE gameplay, with lots of immersion and a real sense of adventure. The crafting is still very good in LOTRO too. You can also play music, own a house, do hobbies; lots of little things that add to the immersion. 
  • DanerilDaneril Member Posts: 41
    Vanguard is one of the most under rated and overlooked mmorpgs. But try them both out as you can try them for free and see which one you like the most.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

It depends on what you value...

If you like linear storybased experiences that are more or less WoW reskinned (some do) LotRO.

If you like massive seamless worlds that prioritize immersion, exploration, and group gameplay over singleplayer questing, Vanguard.

When you compare the two side by side, Vanguard has more going for it than LotRO.

What makes LOtRO Stand out from the normal WoW clones is the PvP aaand... the music system. That's about it.

Vanguard though, is something wholly unique, and has a LOT more depth, challenge, social game world, and much more interesting classes and quests.

Originally posted by Vonatar

but we have to face the fact that it's dead. It is still very buggy (I can't even run it on my new PC and SOE support can't tell me why), it has no dev support so is never going to develop

This is why you have to take advice with a grain of salt, you get people spouting information that is 3 years out of date.

Vanguard has a full team of devs behind it again and is getting regular patches. It isn't that buggy (bugs do exist).

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    YOu also gotta look at which is more restrictive in terms of F2P. VG is far more restrictive.  If you dont mind paying then Vg is the way to go. Seamless world, amazing crafting, diplomacy, amazing history, player hosuing and ships. It isnt a push over mmo. But if you are looking for a story driven mmo try lotro.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

If you are more worried about it being "free" to play then I would agree LOTRO.  LOTRO is also a bit easier to learn and to come back to after an absense.  I found Vanguard gave me more of that epic open world old school feel that I loved.  You control more about what you do. . where as LOTRO is more pulling you by the nose rignt.

If you are going to try Vanguard. . give it a good 10 hours at least of play time or you might bail before you get the feel for it.  This is similar to EVE.  If you just want to walk into something that is familiar go with LOTRO.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Originally posted by DSWBeef
    YOu also gotta look at which is more restrictive in terms of F2P. VG is far more restrictive.

Uh... no it's not. LotRO locks you out of classes, zones, quests, and dungeons.

Vanguard locks you out of epic items. You can play any class to level 20, and play 6 classes all the way to level cap.

You can go to every place, every dungeon, and do every quest.

LotRO is insanely gated and hits you over the head to pay every couple of seconds. I suppose the only big difference is you can spend hours and hours and hours a week grinding to pay with in game Turbine Points instead of money, but that's really not much of a pro.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    I tried Vanguard, but couldn't deal with the crappy animations.  LotRO is by no means an animating beast, but Vanguard was just horrible.

You make me like charity

Originally posted by asmkm22
    I tried Vanguard, but couldn't deal with the crappy animations.  LotRO is by no means an animating beast, but Vanguard was just horrible.

It's animations are average, not horrible, I'd say. But the gameplay more than makes up for it, considering it is far and away better than just about every other PvE MMO currently on the market, except for maybe GW2. It easily has the best dungeons and game world of any MMO.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by asmkm22

It's animations are average, not horrible, I'd say. But the gameplay more than makes up for it, considering it is far and away better than just about every other PvE MMO currently on the market, except for maybe GW2. It easily has the best dungeons and game world of any MMO.

This ^. I have high end graphics cards ( always updated , newest and best ever 2 to 3 years ) and honestly , this game is still one of the most visually stunning games you can log into. The only games that awed me more were GW and GW 2.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

LOTRO or Vanguard? 

LOTRO hands down.  Game is still releasing updates with steady development and a strong community. 

Vanguard died really quickly for a reason and they have't done anything to fix it.  They abandoned that game long ago.  Some very select hard-core players enjoy it still.

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    OP they're free, try them both. I played them both and while I like LoTRO more I'm not going to drone on and debunk what people say about either game as I see going on in this thread. Give them both a shot and see what you like.
  • ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by Ferrium
    Im pretty much looking to play the more solid game with a better community (in the sense that everyone knows eachother, not player base), motivation to play, content. I dont mind paying, even if there is another MMO someone plays that they wanna mention, I am mostly looking for motivation to progress and community. None of my friends play MMOs anymore so i have no one to play with, and when i have people to play with and progress with that makes me stay. Used to play Conquer Online back in 07/08 and it had the best community of any MMO i've played. High levels all knew eachother, all guilds had allies/rivalries, Guild war was intense because of it.

ZERO pvp in VGSoH and not one mention by developers to even reapply it - they killed off their 2 faction server and put a free for all over it - which in turn killed off most of the remaining pvp.  This right here is a sure sign of the broken management at yet another Sony hacked title.  The world is massive - but it's still bugged down - sadly.  SO much promise is the mantra for this title - yet so little development know how or concern because of Sony recruitment practices and limitations (they just don't know how to make an mmo RPG).

LOTRO is a pve game as well - because even the PVM (Player v Monster) is just an aside since you can talk to Bilko Barkins the hobbit after you own his Warg in the Ettinmoors and he logs into his real toon once more.  But, that aside, the story stuff in LOTRO is off the charts - beautifully done. 

Originally posted by Painlezz

LOTRO or Vanguard? 

LOTRO hands down.  Game is still releasing updates with steady development and a strong community. 

Vanguard died really quickly for a reason and they have't done anything to fix it.  They abandoned that game long ago.  Some very select hard-core players enjoy it still.

This is what happens when people talk without having any clue about what they're saying...

As I've said before, Vanguard is getting weekly updates, has a full team, and recently went FTP, as you know. This guy apparently doesn't.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    i would say LOTRO but with the caveat that i can speak only for Landroval (north america RP server).  Landroval's server community is nearly unparralleled in my MMO experience.  but i have heard that other servers are not as great community, except for the EU RP server (also begins with L, forget its name exactly)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

Putting aside mechanics and graphics.

Vanguard for me hands down. I played both a lot but Vanguard is still the best game I have played for housing, crafting (its insane), open world and sense of community.  Of course it comes down to you and how you want to play with a guild etc.

Thing is with Vanguard is that housing is in the open so anyone can see your house perched up on the hill.  If you are in a guild people help each other out and for example I would travel the world to find different styled furniture etc. Then make for the guild.  Plus the game is insanely heavy on grouping.  My friend still plays since launch because of community. 

I had to leave as I couldn't get involved due to the grouping in it and my RL commitments. 

I enjoyed LoTR's but it was more of a place filler.  The instanced housing freaked me out after playing Vanguard as well.

but we have to face the fact that it's dead. It is still very buggy (I can't even run it on my new PC and SOE support can't tell me why), it has no dev support so is never going to develop

This is why you have to take advice with a grain of salt, you get people spouting information that is 3 years out of date.

Vanguard has a full team of devs behind it again and is getting regular patches. It isn't that buggy (bugs do exist).

Yes you're right. I should have checked and I see it has had a lot of updates so perhaps SOE will actually manage to resurrect the game. It makes me happy to see the game getting some love. I was a loyal player through the worst of times so you have to forgive a little bitterness on my part.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

If it's a choice between only those 2, I say LOTRO. It has a ton of content, very pretty graphics, nice unique classes and is a LOT more user friendly.

Vanguard has a vast amount of content and it also has many unique classes, 15 classes in all. Yes it's not as user friendly as most of these hand holding mmo, especially the non thinking mmo such as GW2.

Vanguard is a wonderful game, but we have to face the fact that it's dead. It is still very buggy (I can't even run it on my new PC and SOE support can't tell me why), it has no dev support so is never going to develop, it's not very user friendly. And most of all you can't really play it free. SOE F2P in any of their games is just a glorified free trial. LOTRO on the other hand has a very good F2P system where you can pay for what you want when you want it, and even grind stuff to earn points rather than spend money.

Vanguard is dead, seriousaly i'm pretty sure i logged in last night and have done for the last 5.7 years playing one of my 3 level 55s and numerous atls. You cant run the game on your new PC, time to ask the company that sold the PC tyo you for a refund, i run two clients on my PC in windows mode at max settings while two boxing.

LOTRO is a great game as well, i have played the game on and off since release, great RP Laurelin. 

To the OP, i would play both.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

Yes you're right. I should have checked and I see it has had a lot of updates so perhaps SOE will actually manage to resurrect the game. It makes me happy to see the game getting some love. I was a loyal player through the worst of times so you have to forgive a little bitterness on my part.

Yeah, actually knowing what you are talking about before making silly claims always helps, never follow what you have heard.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by itchmon
    i would say LOTRO but with the caveat that i can speak only for Landroval (north america RP server).  Landroval's server community is nearly unparralleled in my MMO experience.  but i have heard that other servers are not as great community, except for the EU RP server (also begins with L, forget its name exactly)

It's Laurelin. The community is pretty good on most servers though.

To the OP question, I'm a bit biased as LotRO is one of my main mmo, and I only tried Vanguard after it went to f2p. But at least I can give a new-player's first impression look on it. Two concerns about Vanguard: it felt empty (in players I mean). I played the starting area, and during that time I met only 2 players... Which is very few concering it was a few days after Vanguard went f2p, and had the ads, forum entries, etc. The second was the lags / netcode, I regulary rubberbanded, sometimes I froze for 4-5 sec (not healthy during combat :) )

Beside that the game looks great on high detail, the system is complex enough to dive in and enjoy it. True, so far I had only a short time for diplomacy but it also seemed fun. LotRO is not that complex, but has a very good lore, and a nice playerbase.

The best advice I guess what others already posted: both games are f2p, so you can download them (20Gb for Vanguard and 17Gb for LotRO after RoR) and play both. This way you can decide which one fits your preferences better.

Originally posted by Rimmersman

Yeah, actually knowing what you are talking about before making silly claims always helps, never follow what you have heard.

No need to jump on what I said. I bothered to correct it so as not to give the OP the wrong impression.

I have played VG a lot over the years on both Halgar and Telon servers and you will know from your 5.7 years that for a very long time the game was considered "dead". It had no support, SOE didn't care and a dwindling community of die hard fans. It's cool that SOE have rediscovered that they had a gem all this time and are putting some effort in. Whether that makes the game significantly more popular remains to be seen. If the OP isn't bothered by that then cool, the F2P option is a nice way to trial the game.

• KhaerosKhaeros Member Posts: 452

I would have said Vanguard right off the bat.

After the F2P conversion though, Vanguard didn't seem to get as many players back in as I'd hoped, and it's still very buggy.  Add to that the state of the dev team (which still seems like a joke) and it's still a bad game.

I want to suggest Vanguard because deep down I know it's a game built on really neat concepts.  However, the execution (and maintainence) of the game is so horrible that I can't realistlcally suggest it to anyone except people who are already really invested into the game or who are masochists that love interacting with bugs.

LotRO has an active dev team, some neat content, and has a much more lively community than current Vanguard.  Plus, it has fewer bugs.  LotRO has some glaring problems, but if it were a choice between LotRO and Vanguard, LotRO wins hands down.

People who suggest Vanguard are probably reminiscing about their past with the game, but I am writing this from a current perspective.  Currently, you'll have more fun in LotRO.