Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opened 80 chests and not one skin.

lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646

I am not going to waste any more gems on keys. I will just see if prices will be affordable for new skins and purchase from TP. However i highly doubt it. For a MMO where new skins is all the draw i don't like this gambling. 

I checked forums and asked guildies, many are having same luck as me.

So if you are one of the lucky ones don't forget to share your skins with us.

Comments

• ennymithennymith Member UncommonPosts: 121

[mod edit]

It is not illegal gambling, it's just like that cheesy, greasy carnival game of 'skill' where the milk bottles are actually full of lead, and the giant overstuffed prizes are cheap crap with no practical value.

Anyone else notice how quickly Anet churns out new cash shop items while bugged dynamic events that have not worked from day one are still not fixed?

Welcome to your typical MMO based on a cash shop scam.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by ennymith

[mod edit]

It is not illegal gambling, it's just like that cheesy, greasy carnival game of 'skill' where the milk bottles are actually full of lead, and the giant overstuffed prizes are cheap crap with no practical value.

Anyone else notice how quickly Anet churns out new cash shop items while bugged dynamic events that have not worked from day one are still not fixed?

Welcome to your typical MMO based on a cash shop scam.

If I need to buy a pumpkin head to level or pvp it's a scam ....if I don't need anything to enjoy playing the game it's a lesser evil then being milked every month by a subscription fee  .

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Welcome to the gambling scam. I take it you never played STO? image

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

I ended up just buying the skin .. for the gold to gem value of 5-20 keys, it's more practical.  Some skins are as low as 3g now.  I guess the people selling the skins for those prices really lost out on that deal (unless they were just extraordinarily lucky).

If someone lacks gold, they may as well convert their bought RL $$ gems to in-game gold, and purchase exactly what they want from the Trading Post.  Or risk losing it all for a handful of useless potions and boosts.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Random loot is always a gamble, always, in any game... >_>' I opened the skull chest in Borderlands 2 today, I wanted a rifle, I got pistols, OMG A SCAM!!!
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

I am not going to waste any more gems on keys. I will just see if prices will be affordable for new skins and purchase from TP. However i highly doubt it. For a MMO where new skins is all the draw i don't like this gambling. 

WHOO HOOO! We're sharing skin!

lol

• Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360
    Honestly, I have no sympathy for anyone dropping money down on a gamble where they have no clue of the odds.  People are absolutely raging about how much money they paid without a single skin dropping from a chest.  For crying out loud, take responsibility for your own actions.  Make an educated decision.  Nobody is forcing you to buy from Anet to participate in their event. 
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I had a long post,

Then I decided to not feed troll,

Then I came back to call out troll,

But,

Here I find you and a genuine laugh, thanks.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Pale_Fire
    Honestly, I have no sympathy for anyone dropping money down on a gamble where they have no clue of the odds.  People are absolutely raging about how much money they paid without a single skin dropping from a chest.  For crying out loud, take responsibility for your own actions.  Make an educated decision.  Nobody is forcing you to buy from Anet to participate in their event. 

I don't blame people who admire and have enough faith in Arenanet to automatically trust them with providing reasonable rates.

Originally posted by Four0Six

I had a long post,

But,

It was the 1st thing that came to mind when i read the post. I am not trying to troll the OP. Just crack a joke.

In all seriousness, I will admit there should be some common sense applied by the playerbase in all this, but this does reek of a cash grab.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

Honestly, for those out there that feel compelled to own these skins and items and so they end up spending real life money trying to get them and do not get them....well...that is your choice and you were aware that you may or may not get what you wanted.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

I don't blame people who admire and have enough faith in Arenanet to automatically trust them with providing reasonable rates.

I do.  I blame people for being naive and gullible.  People should be prudent and responsible with what they have.  You trust people with whom you have a personal relationship.  Who thinks its a great idea to trust a stranger?  That's what Anet is, a company of strangers.  I'm not saying they're bad people, but you don't place your trust in someone when you don't know their motives or goals. 

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Gambling, the best way to rake in cash from the users.
  • Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    I got a skin on my second chest. Guess I'm lucky.

I do.  I blame people for being naive and gullible.  People should be prudent and responsible with what they have.  You trust people with whom you have a personal relationship.  Who thinks its a great idea to trust a stranger?  That's what Anet is, a company of strangers.  I'm not saying their bad people, but you don't place your trust in someone when you don't know their motives or goals. 

People have "known" Arenanet for many years through their previous game. They have even at times got direct feedback from developers due to their active communication through social media. I don't blame them for trusting Arenanet. Arenanet is not a new company and they have many times stated their goals in different aspects.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Well put.  Btw, anyone else seen what it takes to craft these items?  It's crazy.. No matter how you try to get them, they seem to want these items to be extra special super rare.  To hell with anyone who just thought the event and its rewards would be simple fun.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/news/842-official-update-notes-database-updates-including-new-skins/

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

I had 103 gems do I bought another 22 and voila first chest got me the skulls shoulder skin. :)

I still don't like this type of items that are only available for a short time, though, creating rare/exclusive/unique items.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

I do.  I blame people for being naive and gullible.  People should be prudent and responsible with what they have.  You trust people with whom you have a personal relationship.  Who thinks its a great idea to trust a stranger?  That's what Anet is, a company of strangers.  I'm not saying their bad people, but you don't place your trust in someone when you don't know their motives or goals. 

People have "known" Arenanet for many years through their previous game. They have even at times got direct feedback from developers due to their active communication through social media. I don't blame them for trusting Arenanet. Arenanet is not a new company and they have many times stated their goals in different aspects.

I'd be willing to bet it's more of a directive passed down by NCSOFT, if it's even that. ANET might very well be completely out of this picture since NCSOFT is the publisher at this point. Not that it really makes a difference, the end result is the same.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

I'd be willing to bet it's more of a directive passed down by NCSOFT, if it's even that. ANET might very well be completely out of this picture since NCSOFT is the publisher at this point. Not that it really makes a difference, the end result is the same.

I've wondered if this was the case, too.  If it is, I imagine ArenaNet might actually be quite miserable about it.  They put so much work into the game, years of thier lives on what does seem to be a labor of love.. just for NCSoft to dump all over it, driving countless players away.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

Originally posted by Vhaln

I've wondered if this was the case, too.  If it is, I imagine ArenaNet might actually be quite miserable about it.  They put so much work into the game, years of thier lives on what does seem to be a labor of love.. just for NCSoft to dump all over it, driving countless players away.

Yeah, it would be sad if genuine people at Arenanet are being screwed that way.

Originally posted by Vhaln

Yeah, it would be sad if genuine people at Arenanet are being screwed that way.

It's not like NCSoft isn't known for squatting all over it's players as well as it's own people and companies.

**COUGH**COH**COUGH**

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by Four0Six

I had a long post,

But,

Yeah usualy troll these days means 'anyone who has different opinion or prespective about things'.

Good to know you keep an open mind.

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333
    [mod edit] A big jump from the Guild Wars 1 Arenanet who had the holiday weapons like Candycanes and gingerbread shields as quest rewards. I think this is clear evidence they're fixing the game against the players to push them to spend more money. Look at the drop rate of chests vs keys. I've been playing a lot and I've gotten like 25 chests. How many keys? 2 from a reward, 3 from drops, so really just 3 keys. Just look at that probability fixing and we paid $60 for this? 400 dyes that barely ever drop and now are CHARACTER BOUND. Oh yeah, most of those dyes are drab ugly colors unless you want the rare dyes! Oh if you buy dyes with gems you get rare dyes and some random other ones!
  • FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

I had enough gems left over from a $20 purchase last month to buy 10 keys, I had one in the bank and got 3 more from opening chests. In doing so I got mostly tonics, a few repair canisters, etc and one skin. Bull's Head Shoulders, which look pretty sweet, especially on heavy armor wearing characters.

I may spend another $10 for 7 or what ever more keys, just to try my luck some more but I doubt it. I've noticed just since yesterday the price of most skins on the TP have dropped 70%. I mostly wanted the dagger skins which were selling for over 10g yesterday and less than 2g now. I'm making some nice cash selling candy corns, uponened trick 'r treet bags (that sell for almost a silver a pop) and crafting mats. I expect to have plenty of gold by the end to buy what ever skins I want. If I spend another $10 on gems, it'll be for the cool social clothing if anything. :)

• Rhianni32Rhianni32 Member Posts: 222

I think the drop rate should be increased but...

what exactly where you thinking when you opened chest number 50, 60, or even chest 70 that compelled you to keep trying?