Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player Loses Tiny Ship Worth Over $6,000

Comments

• HealthyGamerHealthyGamer Member Posts: 25

"If all the village idiots... left their villages... and formed their own
    village... OF IDIOTS... in that village... YOU would be the village
    idiot."

ROFLMAO!!!!!  Perfect.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    The player has claimed on the forums the he got all of his stuff back, due to his account having been hacked.  Take that for what it's worth, but it would make sense why "he" would have run  through nullsec with a crap ship and a ton of blueprints.

Nope, dont believe it for a second.

CCP is just as merciless as its players.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Noone can accuse Eve of being mainstream at least...
    Originally posted by erictlewis

wow did you read all the stuff in the cargo bay, what kind of idiot carries all that in his cargo bay.  Talk abut getting caught with your pants down.

You know what they say in even never fly what you cant replace.  I wonder if my death back in october of 2008 got regestered, was in navula killing rats and got jumped by some of the local slime and got poded, and lost a raven in the process not a fun day.

If someone posted your kill to a kill board and that board is still active, then yes.

I found one of my deaths from around late 2004, I think it was.

Brought back some memories. Its was from when I helped nut stomp FA (Fountain Alliance) and lost my Scorp to a gate camp on the way back. Thats when losing a BS hurt, my tears tasted bitter that day. LOL

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217
    these Eve things pop up every few weeks.. i think they are just elaborate PR stunts used to garner attention and keep people talking about Eve..

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217
    Originally posted by Loke666

mainstream for a penal colony, maybe

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

Originally posted by Kenze
    Originally posted by Loke666

mainstream for a penal colony, maybe

true dat.

• fonoifonoi Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Why oh why don't people learn. This is always a bad idea, even in highsec. If your moving that kind of value, do it in a decent fitted ship with a ton of friends.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Kenze
    these Eve things pop up every few weeks.. i think they are just elaborate PR stunts used to garner attention and keep people talking about Eve..

No unfortunately some people just take risks that either through circumstances or maybe just plain stupidity, they wouldnt normally do, personally i wouldnt have undocked with that in cargo unless i was in a carrier and the destination cyno was already lit, and even then i'd be worried about the few seconds after undock before i could jump.. i don't know what the guys circumstances were but they must have been pretty bad. And if you think this is just some PR stunt, then you really don't know Eve..  but your not alone, if there is a harder game to play out there than Eve, i've not seen it. image

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Hokie
    The player has claimed on the forums the he got all of his stuff back, due to his account having been hacked.  Take that for what it's worth, but it would make sense why "he" would have run  through nullsec with a crap ship and a ton of blueprints.

Nope, dont believe it for a second.

CCP is just as merciless as its players.

They really are.

In any case they only give back the stuff that was destroyed, never the stuff that dropped.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Remember that thread about two weeks ago? How tough is EVE? 

This tough.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • SlaverHoundSlaverHound Member Posts: 109
    I'm sure the player could afford the loss.

"Lectroids? Planet 10? Nuclear extortion? A girl named "John"?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by snapfusion

Im pretty sure you have lost touch with reality, common sense, priorities, self worth, and the existance of gaming as a recreational hobby all in one statement.

In other words, another typical day on a gaming message board.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

its still hard to wrap my head around how in game items can be worth so much..

I still cant get over Entropia Universe and how that  guy made $300K selling is in game land.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

He knew the risks, he rolled the dice and he lost. Such is life.

Unless of course he was hacked and then that is a different kettle of fish.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

the way i read it, i understood that he lost in-game items worth 213B ISK, which would translate to ~$6k if he had used that in-game currency (instead of real-cash) to buy game-time.

It's not the same thing as having actually invested $6k.

Unless I read something wrong.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Galadourn

the way i read it, i understood that he lost in-game items worth 213B ISK, which would translate to ~$6k if he had used that in-game currency (instead of real-cash) to buy game-time.

You didn't miss anything.  It's not like he purchased 6k worh of PLEX and promptly lost it.

You make me like charity

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    well, in that case ofc it sucks, but hey...it's a game
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by mmoguy43

Aren't there gate camps that will kill you regardless what you fly? Possibly T2 Frig or BS wouldn't have made a difference.

Everyone in EvE would refer to this as "jackpot". No sympathy from that community.

There are gatecamps, but very, very few gatecamps are "perfect", and even the "perfect" ones can be avoided by elementary tactics like using a scout (you lose the disposable scout ship, your valuable ship just steers clear).

There are also ships which are specifically intended to evade gatecamps; an unfitted Atron isn't one of them. He could have moved these blueprints with a carrier cyno'd directly to an NPC station in lo-sec, or he could have used a cloaked, interdictor-nullifying Tech 3, or even just a damb covops frigate will get past nearly all gatecamps if flown cautiously and correctly. This guy was just unbelievably careless. or impatient. But dumb stuff like this happens all the time.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• KassinaKassina Member UncommonPosts: 29

Well just bad luck got ganked and lost. But the guy obviously is not new ingame so the time he/she invested in game hours,days, months etc and for sure according to some of 1 those items he lost arent free, so yeah regarding all the time wasted for sure he lost Real money bcoz of it for sure as well.

Lucky to the player who ganked him/her must be laughing like crazy :) after all is not every day we got Gold pot like that :D

As some said he got the things back, well i seriously doubt they have give him/her the things back, he lost  by being "ganked" normaly pvp zone so why he/she have the rite to get "refund" of the items lost :D

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Has it been validated that this person was hacked and got his stuff returned? 
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Why didn't he make several trips, rather than risk loosing all those prints in one trip?
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by neosapience
    Virtual items are worth nothing. It doesn't matter how much 'work' you put into something inside a game. Anything that's 'lost' can be recreated by anyone with server-side access in a matter of minutes. Games aren't real, and people should consider that when they're playing them.

We do. We play for fun. We play for excitement. We play to enjoy a diversion that evokes some kind of emotional return.

Were you trying to downplay the interest/fascination with this, the gameplay itself, or have you never really actually gotten engaged in playing a game (of ANY kind) before? Monopoly is play money. Operation is a picture of a guy. Jenga tiles can be restacked.

This is really that foreign a concept to you?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Galadourn

You didn't miss anything.  It's not like he purchased 6k worh of PLEX and promptly lost it.

Exactly. It's game money. If it was real money, that would be a whole other ball of wax, and I don't mean this one.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by snapfusion
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    This is why darkfall needs to have local banking. This is gold. 

Im pretty sure you have lost touch with reality, common sense, priorities, self worth, and the existance of gaming as a recreational hobby all in one statement.

You cant possibly believe its "golden" for a human being to have invested and lost 6k in a computer game.  If so then you have solidified my first sentence.

Who are you to suggest that the money wasn't worth it? It's entirely subjective and I've seen people waste much much more money on gambling, investments and stupid real world purchases.  Virtual goods are here to stay and in the future this number won't seem so big.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.