Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG Progression PRE CU/PRE NGE

CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

So can anyone tell me about the character progression in this game?  I remember that items actually break but aside from that Idont really know about character progression.  

Can anyone bring me some light to this subject?

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
( o.o)
(")(")
**This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

Comments

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    I'm not sure what you are asking. Do you mean "In the absence of picking a class and leveling it up, how did your character progress in SWG?"
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    SWG pre cu - best game
  • DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

32 professions free to choose from and you was even free to match just partial skills from one profession with partial skills from other professions.  All professions were unique, divers and added something important to the game.

SWG's pre cu skill system is still unmatched to our days.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Castillle

So can anyone tell me about the character progression in this game?  I remember that items actually break but aside from that Idont really know about character progression.  

You become a master something.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

32 professions free to choose from and you was even free to match just partial skills from one profession with partial skills from other professions.  All professions were unique, divers and added something important to the game.

I think so too

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Pre-NGE was a grindfest. I don't see why people miss that junk.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

I think so too

I agree.

The other thing, imo, is that SOE was hugely guilty of in dealing with the profs, was always "taking things away" to make a change, instead of putting in something else to get the desired effect  or counter some imbalance (granted, this actually takes thought).

That is especially true of Jedi in the old days: instead of spending years nerdfing the crap out of them, and spending untold hours of programming time to nerf and balance them down, they could have added other unlockable "elite professions" to offest the power imbalance: Elite Bounty Hunter, Jedi Hunter, Crime Lord, and/or other elite versions of classes (at the expense of not being able to take other profs to fill in the rest of the 250point skill pool - exactly like Jedi prior to patch 9).

But instead we got an endless attempt to rebalance every possible build, and nerf everything they couldn't figure out: nerfing things is easy, fixing them is hard.

The ultimate example of which being the NGE, when they nerfed away whole profession system and put in a poor copy of Star WoW.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by bigsmiff

Thinking back it really was, but it was a much more enjoyable grindfest than any other game I can think of - mainly because it was grindy with a good community - for me, and all sorts of options to grind :)

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Only if you were in a hurry, and only if you made it so.

Most of the master skill boxes and toon revamps I did though normal play: guild hunts, hunting creature resources, or trying for loot components like the NS shards or Overcharged blaster power handlers. Or just playing the game and not worrying about it (and being able to get training for skill boxes from others players was very good for this - "Hey, I just maxed rifle xp, can you hit me with the next box on rifleman?")

The only thing that was a true grind in the old system was BH, and I did that a couple time, and solely because SOE refused to fix the mechanism that spawned the NPC bounties: they often spawned inside of object geometery, didn't spawn at all, or spawned "white" (non-attackable).

And I include original Jedi in there too, I leveled my jedi toon "by just playing". Granted that had to be mostly alone because of hunting and Jedi TEF, but that was by choice. (And to be honest, the thing I liked the most was the free 10 building lots, I had a big crafter and I used a LOT of space for materials and components.)

• RojiinRojiin Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by Eluldor

Thinking back it really was, but it was a much more enjoyable grindfest than any other game I can think of - mainly because it was grindy with a good community - for me, and all sorts of options to grind :)

It was grindy until you learned the ins and outs of it.  The "leveling" was an aside to actually playing.  The cool thing was at pretty much any skill box past novice you were able to perform a useful action or create a useful widget. 

Spin group forming at Dant MO!!!

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

It's a grind if all you wanted to do was Galactic Civil War and killing stuff.

It is not a grind if you actually participate in the commerce and crafting side, which is what a sandbox game is about - you build things and harvest resources so there is a reason to contest over.

You were looking for Counter-Strike when the game is Legos.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

It's a grind if all you wanted to do was Galactic Civil War and killing stuff.

It is not a grind if you actually participate in the commerce and crafting side, which is what a sandbox game is about - you build things and harvest resources so there is a reason to contest over.

You were looking for Counter-Strike when the game is Legos.

SWG was my first MMO and the crafting in that game has ruined crafting for me now since nothing even compares to it nowadays. I just thought the NGE was much better since I don't like grinding. I had houses full of server best resources, and I once had a museum on Lok. SWG, to me, will always be the best MMO of all time.

RIP Tarquinas

• IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143

Whats even more amazing about this game is all the stuff thats in the client but were never used, planets, ships, etc.

It looks like SOE had lots of plans but never were able to realize them.

• tman5tman5 Member Posts: 604

If you chose to play it that way.  I found just going about doing my "business," gaining experience along the way then suddenly discovering I could purchase two or three skill blocks seemed to take the "grind" right out of it.