Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard lied about the new character models.

2»

Comments

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by IfrianMMO

As many WoW players know,  before MoP was released, Blizzard announced that they were working  on new and graphically upgraded character models for the old races.

Close to MoP ´s release, they claimed they had the Dwarven models almost done and were starting with the Human and orc ones.

Well,  yesterday they confessed in the US forums, that such thing is not true, that what they said previously was a "misscomunication" and that  they plan to make the new models "sometime in the future" ( they said this in TBC) but that it would require a lot of time and people to do, so it won´t happen anytime soon.

They also confessed it is not true the models the claimed were ready are ready at all, and that they did not even really start on it.

I do not mind content or features being pushed to a later date in favor of different ones, but being downright lied in the face to hype an expansion and then being told it was just a case of "misscommunication" is insulting.

OMFG, they really said that. Can you link?

This company is making money hand over fist. And they use the excuse it costs too much money (and time) to upgrade character models.

That is the biggest bullshit statement Ive ever heard.

They're not talking about new animations or whole new characters. All they need to do is up the poly count over the existing models so they dont look like shit.

This is a company that has gotten so greedy that they dont feel the need to provide a better experience to the subscribers because they know they got the hook buried past the barb. They are like a dealer who has provided a good quality product to addict the user and now they are cutting the quality more and more because in the end they know it wont make a difference, they'll keep coming back for more.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• aphydorkaphydork Member Posts: 133
    Originally posted by Kuinn 

Is it a needless risk in another 8 years? 15 years? Just saying, the game gets outdated more and more year after year and it's supposed to attract new players into it to keep it going. Updated vanilla races is something that the game needs badly imo, it just looks stupid silly when an orc and panda stands next to eachothers looking like they are taken from two different games.

I didn't say people didn't want it, but you have to realize that there are those that don't want it as well. And it is a needless risk, anyway you look at it.

Players do not respond as well to change as you think they do. There's going to be a backlash either way.

Kind of like why Square Enix holds the idea of a FFVII remake over its fans heads and doesn't talk about remaking FFVI. They could potentially ruin those games for a lot of people. Needlessly.

Blizzard isn't dangling it over our heads purposefully--at least, I don't think they are--, but they could spend a lot of time and care into making it, only to create a divide with mixed reviews between people who like and hate it or spend that same amount of time and effort creating new content, which is much less controversial.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Certainly time to rally the villagers, grab some pitchforks, and chase Bliz back to the Castle, for sure.  Burn!

Is this the Drama Du Jour on WoW General then?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

As many WoW players know,  before MoP was released, Blizzard announced that they were working  on new and graphically upgraded character models for the old races.

Close to MoP ´s release, they claimed they had the Dwarven models almost done and were starting with the Human and orc ones.

Well,  yesterday they confessed in the US forums, that such thing is not true, that what they said previously was a "misscomunication" and that  they plan to make the new models "sometime in the future" ( they said this in TBC) but that it would require a lot of time and people to do, so it won´t happen anytime soon.

They also confessed it is not true the models the claimed were ready are ready at all, and that they did not even really start on it.

I do not mind content or features being pushed to a later date in favor of different ones, but being downright lied in the face to hype an expansion and then being told it was just a case of "misscommunication" is insulting.

iirc.  they said they were looking into updating character models,  but and had shelved that idea beacuse people that had grown attached to their characteres after 6+ years might get upset.  if you can provide some hard evidence,  i'd be all ears though.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by aphydork
    Originally posted by Kuinn 

Is it a needless risk in another 8 years? 15 years? Just saying, the game gets outdated more and more year after year and it's supposed to attract new players into it to keep it going. Updated vanilla races is something that the game needs badly imo, it just looks stupid silly when an orc and panda stands next to eachothers looking like they are taken from two different games.

I didn't say people didn't want it, but you have to realize that there are those that don't want it as well. And it is a needless risk, anyway you look at it.

Players do not respond as well to change as you think they do. There's going to be a backlash either way.

Kind of like why Square Enix holds the idea of a FFVII remake over its fans heads and doesn't talk about remaking FFVI. They could potentially ruin those games for a lot of people. Needlessly.

Blizzard isn't dangling it over our heads purposefully--at least, I don't think they are--, but they could spend a lot of time and care into making it, only to create a divide with mixed reviews between people who like and hate it or spend that same amount of time and effort creating new content, which is much less controversial.

We'll just have to disagree very strongly about this. We are only talking about character models now, but lets say if Funcom re-made the whole AO, new engine, new models, skins, animations, effects new everything to update it today's standards, I wouldnt hesitate to start playing that game again.

In my eyes it's the same principle, just in a lot smaller scale with WoW since we are only talking about a certain aspect of the game. Any time they updated spell effects for example people very happy, almost brought tears into my eyes watching the joy of warlocks when their drains got updated lol :) Maybe someone would rather stay in the old bad looking AO, and I'm certainly some people would, but I will never understand the reasoning of those people.

I dont agree with the "or spend that same amount of time and effort creating new content" either, Blizzard is bathing in money, they can at any point hire extra people to work on certain areas of their game without leaving a scratch on their mountain of money. In theory I understand that they are here to make as much as money as possible and spend as little as possible, but I'm not a greedy person my self so it's hard to really accept that logic so easily. You're certainly a better business person than I am :P

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Too little too late for me anyway.  This was one feature I wanted years ago, but Blizz decided to keep all our old characters ugly as hell.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

related sources -- Blizzard never said they were almost done

Aug 31 2012

http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/08/31/blizzard-working-on-new-models-of-humans-and-orcs/

Today in an interview with Buffed.de, Ghostcrawler had the following to say:

Ghostcrawler and Buffed.de
    buffed: I think the last time we talked about it you said the designers were working on the Dwarves. Is it still Dwarves or are other races already being worked on as well?

Street: They've been working on the Dwarves and then the Humans and Orcs. We feel that if we can do the Humans and Orcs we can probably do all the races. It may not be the kind of thing where we turn them all on at once -- it may be a gradual rollout. It just depends on how long it takes.

buffed: Then we will hope that we get to see them during the Mists of Pandaria era.

Street: We'll just have to see.

on September 11, 2012, Blizzard held an AMA

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/2923-Developer-AMA-Live!

I am eagerly awaiting the redesigned Orc and Human models because as said during Gamescom, if these first two are successful then you’ll move onto the other races. My question is thus: do you plan on keeping the animations the same or develop something different?
    Part of doing new models would have to be doing new animations. The pandaren are just capable of so many more evocative or even charming animations than the older models with their older rigs can do. Obviously, that makes the task bigger, but that's what we'd like to do.

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394

I think it's pretty funny that a lot of people are on here cutting down the OP by saying things like "oh it's like this person has never heard a lie before" or a sarcastic "let's go raid blizzards keep for such heresy" when this is a perfectly logical thing to be upset about.  

Let's not kid ourselves, none of us like to be lied to by developers, and to be lied to by such a massive juggernaut as Blizzard is is even more embarressing.  People have just learned to take what they are given without any backtalk with this game that Blizzard can do whatever they want and still have people come back for more, including lying to everybody.

Reading over the posts there hasn't been evidence shown that the OP is truthful about Blizzard saying they weren't doing it, but they have done this before regardless with the dance studio promise.  No doubt people who follow Blizzard all the time have noticed more lies that they have spoken.

The point is if any other major developer bold faced lied to their community and customers it would be inexcusable, but when Blizzard does it it's just a write off.  People who don't take this shit seriously need some standards.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    It' will come sooner or later, friggen complainers

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Ghostcrawler making WoW the new SWTOR.
    Wonder how long they will let that man in charge.

People realise this soon enough once the hype of MoP wears off and subs are going down harder then they did in Cataclysm.
    Also Annual Pass is about to expire further boosting their so called sub number.

Hate to say it, but the developers working on Titan did a 100000x better job then Ghostcrawler showed for the past 2/3 years.
    Kalgan made sure the game remained epic in raids, nothing remains from his legacy.