Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is it about EVE that keeps people playing?

Comments

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by Karahandras

It does have quite a steep learning curve and if you go into it with the 'themepark mentallity' i.e. bigger=better and rush to such then you will get your arse handed to you.

No, you don't.

"Theme park" players are mostly after PVE and that is where rule fully applies.

One could argue that it applies to PVP in many areas too...

You do understand that 80% of the EVE population is playing in the part of the universe that would be considered the PvE part of EVE. 

And that is according to CCP. 

Emergent gameplay is what makes EVE great. 

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    No predefined endgame.
  • aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Originally posted by Uhwop

Originally posted by Karahandras

It does have quite a steep learning curve and if you go into it with the 'themepark mentallity' i.e. bigger=better and rush to such then you will get your arse handed to you.

No, you don't.

"Theme park" players are mostly after PVE and that is where rule fully applies.

One could argue that it applies to PVP in many areas too...

You do understand that 80% of the EVE population is playing in the part of the universe that would be considered the PvE part of EVE. 

agree with this post. like incursions mining/manufacturing. missioning/ratting wh is combination

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by UhwopYou do understand that 80% of the EVE population is playing in the part of the universe that would be considered the PvE part of EVE. And that is according to CCP.  Emergent gameplay is what makes EVE great. 

Not sure if you made a typo or what your point actually is...it does not relate to my point in any way shape or form.

...source?

Out of curiosity, where does the other 20% play?

big sov owners like test -a- goons . test has like 9700+ members atm and goons has like 8000 something a has like 3000 something. and i forgot the other sov owner that owns drone space. but they are a huge alliane as well. and if you're not a sov owner you're low sec occuppier. like e- uni who lives in maseera is a pretty big alliance. so the 20% ya thats the source. look at the total number that gets on from peaktime to downtime. you can easily figure it out bro

Originally posted by aligada87

big sov owners like test -a- goons . test has like 9700+ members atm and goons has like 8000 something a has like 3000 something. and i forgot the other sov owner that owns drone space. but they are a huge alliane as well. and if you're not a sov owner you're low sec occuppier. like e- uni who lives in maseera is a pretty big alliance. so the 20% ya thats the source. look at the total number that gets on from peaktime to downtime. you can easily figure it out bro

Yeah, only a minority of players are involved in 0.0 warfare...still does not relate to what I have said.

Bigger = better in EVE PVE fully applies.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper
    Originally posted by Quirhid

People do not play games because of sandbox or theme park label.

I know I don't. But some people do.

Its a shame there is no better space sim MMORPG. I've exhausted all my SPG options.

Ohh.....I can't resist.....

Just because you don't like a game doesn't mean it isn't a good one.  image

I would imagine he means "better" in his opinion. Although considering the poster, maybe not. (I joke ofc).

Yeah, I was just messing with him since he's said the same to me when I've slammed another game.

GW2 perchance?

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

...source?

Many of those players you list rarely go to null-sec and most spend the majority of their time in 0.2 or higher.

Null sec is far safer then 0.2-0.5, where all the gate campers and 1337 kiddies live. A large proportion of pvpers do not reside in null sec, never have, never will.

This is why the 80% is probably a low estimation, most pvpers reside in the so-called "pve" areas, this is the thing about EvE, nowhere is truly safe.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

Originally posted by Zinzan

Many of those players you list rarely go to null-sec and most spend the majority of their time in 0.2 or higher.Null sec is far safer then 0.2-0.5, where all the gate campers and 1337 kiddies live. A large proportion of pvpers do not reside in null sec, never have, never will.This is why the 80% is probably a low estimation, most pvpers reside in the so-called "pve" areas, this is the thing about EvE, nowhere is truly safe.

Making assumptions without prior experience is rarely any good.

Sorry but that is not how the game is. Low sec is the least populated area in EVE and 0.0 gate camps are way deadlier.

Yeah, only a minority of players are involved in 0.0 warfare...still does not relate to what I have said.

Bigger = better in EVE PVE fully applies.

could you define your bigger=better in eve pve fully applies theory? i'm not trying to be rude. just don't get what you mean. are you saying pve is the majority that what makes eve system? cause if so i can disagree. all pve concept involved pvp. whether you get ganked or not. you may not participate in it. but overall you will be still be attacked by pvpers which once a pvper attacks u. you are participating in pvp system of eve. and if you want to even get into more mental pvp lol. you can think of scamming people as a mind pvp lol. like setting up those epic scamms people have to get as  much isk out of u. for example, solar blink. this can be considerd as pvp with the mind lol

could you define your bigger=better in eve pve fully applies theory?

Bigger as ship size. PVE in EVE scales with ship size and creates an "end game" for largest ships.

There is no point specializing in frigates if you want to PVE.

Originally posted by Zinzan

...source?

Many of those players you list rarely go to null-sec and most spend the majority of their time in 0.2 or higher.

Null sec is far safer then 0.2-0.5, where all the gate campers and 1337 kiddies live. A large proportion of pvpers do not reside in null sec, never have, never will.

This is why the 80% is probably a low estimation, most pvpers reside in the so-called "pve" areas, this is the thing about EvE, nowhere is truly safe.

lol try telling that to test or goons or the other big alliance i listed. i live in null and have for over 2 yrs lol. compared to low sec null is most populated but there are more low sec pvpers. low sec pvpers doesnt really mean that makes up their population. cause in the end most of them will go back to high sec and just live there. compared to null that is basically your home. i know i rarely go back to high sec since i live in k-6 and many in my corp does same. and if we do need something that we can't get in null we just send a hauler out in jita then bam . but this happens probably 2-3x a month. 

Bigger as ship size. PVE in EVE scales with ship size and creates an "end game" for largest ships.

well that is true. but i can easily rat or do plex run in a t3 and make good money without having to worry bout me being in a carrier who will be a large target who cant escape lol. i think cruiser ship is smallest ship u can do pve stuff though. anything smaller dont think it's possible

• 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719

Eve Online is the true alternate life game, If ccp adds occulus rift support and leapmotion support in the game, as well as walking in stations, and walking on spaceships, Eve Online has the biggest chance to become the first Virtual Reality Game, like Sword Art Online, or what you see in accel world.

You could live your whole life just playing Eve Online, without ever having the need to spend a second in the real world :)

wonder if star citizen will have an impact in eve if and when they do release it. i mean hopefully by time robert releases star citizen ccp has implemented teh features of full walkin station and maybe some real planetary interaction

Originally posted by Robokapp

well in all honesty, eve's pve is not its selling point. you pvp for money and resources if you want to but not for some cool endgame or anything like that. eve pve is purely a means to get stuff. as such its not balanced at a level that a raiding mmo would be.while eve's pve is not bad, it's also no designed to be a high-end activity. it's fairly minimal.

What EVE majority living in high sec fights for...?

Sorry, but no.

Originally posted by 13lake

Eve Online is the true alternate life game, If ccp adds occulus rift support and leapmotion support in the game, as well as walking in stations, and walking on spaceships, Eve Online has the biggest chance to become the first Virtual Reality Game, like Sword Art Online, or what you see in accel world.

You could live your whole life just playing Eve Online, without ever having the need to spend a second in the real world :)

YOUR A DORK

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by Robokapp

well in all honesty, eve's pve is not its selling point. you pvp for money and resources if you want to but not for some cool endgame or anything like that.

eve pve is purely a means to get stuff. as such its not balanced at a level that a raiding mmo would be.

while eve's pve is not bad, it's also no designed to be a high-end activity. it's fairly minimal.

EVE end-game is about making enough money (isk) to succeed or fail at whatever you want.

And that very rarely happens in PvP.

No matter what happens in PvP its the PvE that is a backbone of EvE.  But you'll never get the vocal majority to admit it, because saying you spend your game time killing other players is much more epeen enlarging.

Come on guys in all honesty, last I remember reading only like 20%-30% of EVE players are dedeicated PvPers.

To be good at PvE in EVE you have to know what youre doing. EVE is not for dumbasses, its way too merciless. Not saying if you tried it and then quit your a dumbass. But to succeed you have to know how to do more than just grind "mobs" and "do end-game", you have to know how to survive. And in all honesty thats not a skill a lot of MMO gamers have.

Or maybe another way to put it is;

It nitch not because its sci-fi, or space ships, or no real avatar gameplay. It is a game where bad decisions, either thru stupidity or bad luck, will leave you utterly nut stomped.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• MyrradahMyrradah Member UncommonPosts: 102

Please keep in mind when most players that have been around for a long time - Beta Tester for Eve here - when they speak about null sec it isnt SOV (player controlled space) only. There is NPC null sec as well where a ton of fighting and gate camping to those cushy SOV systems you all live in.

There is a large contingent of people that do not like SOV - I did it for a year and never really liked it. No challenge in pvp. Point, click, orbit deal with lag is not my type of fun. Im very much into small gang fighting - 15 ships or less and enjoy the hell out of that. Frigs are the best :)

So yes, gate camping in Null Sec NPC space is very lucrative plus you can roam and screw with the stupid SOV owners who the majority cant even 1v1 a teddy bear.  Then its painfully obvious when they get a fleet together to get you...easy to get away from and frustrate them even more.

There are many forms of PVP in Eve - likely also why its so popular.

1) Market PVP

2) Ship PVP

3) Mind game PVP - morale - frustration etc all lead to certain death

4) Mercenary

5) Sov space

etc. Im sure there are more but you get the point. PVP isnt just swords swinging, spells flying etc. Its forcing your will upon others in many areas of the game and not jsut physical comnat thereby appealing to many many types of players and not jsut one.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

I would imagine he means "better" in his opinion. Although considering the poster, maybe not. (I joke ofc).

Yeah, I was just messing with him since he's said the same to me when I've slammed another game.

Mark my words, if a game comes that has better space combat and PvE content, it would undoubtedly grab much of Eve's players. Afterall, it is hardly a stretch to imagine better systems for both (if you have played other games). See how the economy runs then.

Eve's position is quite fragile the way I see it. Again, one serious competitor.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• generals3generals3 Member Posts: 3,307

Mark my words, if a game comes that has better space combat and PvE content, it would undoubtedly grab much of Eve's players. Afterall, it is hardly a stretch to imagine better systems for both (if you have played other games). See how the economy runs then.

Eve's position is quite fragile the way I see it. Again, one serious competitor.

I beg to differ. While EVE does have some lackings in certain aspects of the game there is just so much to do that it totally overcompensates for it. What EVE managed to do is synch all the aspects of the game perfectly and i doubt any game will soon come which can accomplish the same. And if DUST succeeds it would an other layer of depth to eve.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.
    Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by generals3

I beg to differ. While EVE does have some lackings in certain aspects of the game there is just so much to do that it totally overcompensates for it. What EVE managed to do is synch all the aspects of the game perfectly and i doubt any game will soon come which can accomplish the same. And if DUST succeeds it would an other layer of depth to eve.

I don't think overcompensation is a good thing. Anyway. trading will never compensate for a combat system. Not for everyone.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• johnjecjohnjec Member UncommonPosts: 19

Thanks for all of the replies. In reading these posts there are two things that become apparent. First, when it comes to MMO's and PVP, I always picture a guy with a sword jumping over me, bunny hopping around trying to kill me. I don't think that is what EVE is about. I get the impetion that decisions have to be well thought out and personality does matter. Secondly, I also get the impretion that you guys are not 12 and 14 years old. Instead of being barraged my meaningless antics, it seems there is a level of maturity in this community. I'm also thinking that if there are indeed particular people in the game that control vast areas of space and wealth, it may also stand to reason that these people are probably a cut above the rest in real life. Is this possible? Jut my .02

Originally posted by johnjec

it may also stand to reason that these people are probably a cut above the rest in real life.

Very false assumption.

star citizen?