Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seriously?

So you can't play without paying for the next month instantly after inserting your key huh :).

I don't have money left for this this month so I just wasted about 20 of my 30 days.

Obviously posting in the general forums also isn't possible after buying the game and activating your account, nope you have to pay a subscription as well.

Fun fun fun

Comments

• BoldynBoldyn Member Posts: 265

They ask for your VISA and for you to choose a subscription plan. That money isn't drawn untill next month.

I can understand how that's confusing since only about 10 mmo's I can think of those the same thing..

• necredonnecredon Member Posts: 118
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    well....yeah. it's a subscription-based game still. How do you play a subscription game without a subscription?

With the FREE month that comes with the box?

Not everyone has a cc.

• KamikazegoKamikazego Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Originally posted by necredon

So you can't play without paying for the next month instantly after inserting your key huh :).

I don't have money left for this this month so I just wasted about 20 of my 30 days.

Obviously posting in the general forums also isn't possible after buying the game and activating your account, nope you have to pay a subscription as well.

Fun fun fun

As far as I know, the free 30 days doesn't start until you enter your subscription info?  Also, you aren't charged when you type in your credit card number.  You can type the info in, then cancel any time before the free 30 days are up.  Try thinking outside the box a little.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    well....yeah. it's a subscription-based game still. How do you play a subscription game without a subscription?

Not everyone has a cc.

Its no different than pretty much any subscription MMO ever. They normally require your payment information upfront for various reasons. Giving your info isnt the same as paying. It is still free until that 1st month is up.

• ZecktorinZecktorin Member Posts: 231

Fun fun fun

that sub doesnt charge your card till the 30 days runs out.

Originally posted by Kamikazego

Fun fun fun

As far as I know, the free 30 days doesn't start until you enter your subscription info?  Also, you aren't charged when you type in your credit card number.  You can type the info in, then cancel any time before the free 30 days are up.  Try thinking outside the box a little.

"you now have 29 days left"

Thinking outside the box? Allright, i'll go steal someone cc tomorrow then, and then i'll cancel hit, how about that?

• HarttzHarttz Member Posts: 91

It is definitely annoying for people who don't have credit cards to use. I prefer to prepay for subs with game cards and such but don't want to get tied in to a brand new game beyond the free month. 

If I recall correctly, I used my Paypal account info for SWTOR and then just cancelled my pending sub before I was charged when I decided not to continue playing. So, if you have a Paypal you might try that. Otherwise, you could buy a prepaid VISA and cancel the charge if you choose not to sub (but then you are stuck with the prepaid card).

• DarthMajinDarthMajin Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by Harttz

It is definitely annoying for people who don't have credit cards to use. I prefer to prepay for subs with game cards and such but don't want to get tied in to a brand new game beyond the free month. 

If I recall correctly, I used my Paypal account info for SWTOR and then just cancelled my pending sub before I was charged when I decided not to continue playing. So, if you have a Paypal you might try that. Otherwise, you could buy a prepaid VISA and cancel the charge if you choose not to sub (but then you are stuck with the prepaid card).

I use prepaid cards for all my MMOs. I really don't like the idea of having a CC on file with any of them. That aside, who would actually purchase a game (esp one going F2P soon) that has a subscription and no way to pay for it? I know it comes with a free month, but that is because not many people are gonna fork out an aditional 15 bucks right after paying for the game. But yeah I recommend going with a pre-paid card for it if you ain't got a CC man.

• PelagatoPelagato Member UncommonPosts: 673

Not everyone has a cc.

You have to provide a CC for them to fee you after the 30 days, otherwise they wont give you the 30 days... I am not sure where i read it but some information from the inside of EA offices leaked... saying that SWTOR was a money grab from the very start...

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Pelagato

Not everyone has a cc.

You have to provide a CC for them to fee you after the 30 days, otherwise they wont give you the 30 days... I am not sure where i read it but some information from the inside of EA offices leaked... saying that SWTOR was a money grab from the very start...

Why spend the most money on an MMO EVER developed just to grab cash and get out? 

Oh right that makes absolutely no sense..

OP, the having a credit card entered before being able to start playing thing.. Thats entirely standard for the industy, ever since DAoC in 2003.  

EQ, FFXI, UO, all those games required a CC before letting you use your free first month.

Welcome to mmos.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Fun fun fun

I'd suggest to contact their Customer Service department for help

You can do this either by email on [email protected] or by phone on: 

1855 GO SWTOR (1855 467 9867) from the USA 
    or +8000 BIOWARE (00800 0246 9273) from the United Kingdom, France, Germany or Australia.

Maybe they can help

I've sent them a mail almost a week ago, still nothing.

What makes me really angry is that they didn't even give me cartel points for buying the box.

So really I just bought air.

They should be in jail damnit

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

What makes me really angry is that they didn't even give me cartel points for buying the box.

cartel arent in game yet, when the game hits f2p u'll get them. be subded till them also

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
    Originally posted by defector1968

cartel arent in game yet, when the game hits f2p u'll get them. be subded till them also

You can check the amount of CP you've got on the site allready.

Mine says 0 & I can't go ingame anymore since I entered my i-bought-the-box-key.

So they gave me nothing in return for my money.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Fun fun fun

If you just bought the game, you´ll have 30 free days with that Key, but you need to choose a subcription method to activate your account., dont worry you dont gonna pay anything till the end of the 30 free days, and you can cancel it if you want after ur account is activated.  

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Over the past year, I've come to expect this level of quality from EA.  I've had my own share of unresolved issues.  If you're lucky you'll get a response asking for the same information you already gave, which is what I usually got from their customer service.  I say "usually" because the other times my issue just got deleted (or quietly removed from the system).

EA is a bunch of marketers, not gamers.  So they have all kinds of metrics indicating that there is more profit in ignoring you.  Hypothetically, there is a 87.2% chance that someone in your shoes will buy Time Cards when ignored, but only a 38.4% chance of you buying additional game time if you are assisted.  The choice for them is clear.

Welcome to the Bitter Star Wars Fan Club.  Punch and cookies are in the back.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362

I was in the same boat as you OP. I spent money on the game and was hoping to ride the free month out. Instead I was locked out. I spent 1 full day doing Prizerebel offers to get a 60 day card. You could always try that if you are out of funds. Also you could get a prepaid Visa card like a Netspend and use that as your CC. Think it costs 2-5 dollars to set one up. From when you posted it seems like yu lost about 10 days or so but you can still play the last 20 if you want.

Hope ti works out either way.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

to the op get yourself a prepaid visa or MasterCard.  Green Dot has them as well as amazon. Heck even walmart offers them.  You get them load the money on them and walla you have a prepaid credit card.   I know plenty of folks who have them, and what is more it is virtually impossible to trace these prepaid cards, so if you owe folks money they are not going to find you prepaid and zap those funds.

Just saying it is an easy way out, and if you cant afford 15 bucks after buying a game then something is wrong, its time for a second job.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

EA's never had good customer support.  I've had tickets that went unanswered for weeks, and to call in I think they have like 3 people on the phones or something.  I've called twice for account issues, and both times I got the same girl lol.  Some will say that's the industry standard, but I wouldn't say so. 

Back when Mythic was really Mythic, I had an issue with my DAoC account, I called in and didn't even have to wait in a queue.  I was suprised, I thought it was a recorded message of a lady telling me "Thank You for calling Mythic..." and was expecting her to say, please wait for the next available operator lol.

Just last month I had an issue with the achievements in WoW, I put in a ticket, and 30 minutes later, I got an answer and it was resolved in game all within 35 minutes, now that's customer service.  Before that I had an issue logging in because they put a block on my account, they thought it was suspicious that I was online for 3 days straight and thought I was a botter or goldseller lol.  I called in, waited in the queue for maybe 5 minutes, got it fixed in another 5 minutes.  That's pretty good if you ask me.  EA and some other companies have horrible customer service, but it's not the industry standard.

Edit: And the GM from Blizzard, even noticed I was on a RP server, and roleplayed the conversation lol.  It was kinda cool :)  Something about smelling brimstone and fire, and getting a headache and I hear a faint voice in my head XD

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Collection edition and deluxe edition are the only boxes that give cartel points. It is explained on web.

All subscription based games have the same rules, why everybody jumps on EA (other then pure hate) is beyond me.

Companies have to earn money to run their business, like it or not...

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• Originally posted by necredon

what version did you buy? i ask because only the collectors and digital deluxe editions give bonus coins.  all other coins are from paid months

http://www.swtor.com/free

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Collection edition and deluxe edition are the only boxes that gives cartel points. It is explained on web.

All subscription based games have the same rules, why everybody jumps on EA (other then pure hate) is beyond me.

It always comes down to that doesn't it?  Every other game does it, so it's OK.  I guess there is more money in getting credit card info up front, eh?  It's not necessary, but companies love it when customers forget they are still subscribed and continue getting billed.  Prepaid game cards up front before the game can actually be dug into isn't much better.

Just once, wouldn't you actually like to see a mainstream game company break the mold?  If Star Wars never originally broke the mold, A New Hope would just be a Star Trek clone.  Gamer conformity to the norm these days is saddening :/

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Yeah i loke to add to the "not EA's fault2 this is  a clear case of IBTS (*bleep* behind the screen) syndrome as it have been the norm for pretty much the entire lifetime of subscription games. The idea is that it cut's down on "dummy" accounts and increase revenue through all the people who forget to cancel their subscription.

It is not like EA invented this... Magazines have done it for so many years it is not even funny. I would also like to point out that it reads on the very box that a CC is required to play the game.

This have been a good conversation

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Collection edition and deluxe edition are the only boxes that gives cartel points. It is explained on web.

It always comes down to that doesn't it?  Every other game does it, so it's OK.  I guess there is more money in getting credit card info up front, eh?  It's not necessary, but companies love it when customers forget they are still subscribed and continue getting billed.  Prepaid game cards up front before the game can actually be dug into isn't much better.

Just once, wouldn't you actually like to see a mainstream game company break the mold?  If Star Wars never originally broke the mold, A New Hope would just be a Star Trek clone.  Gamer conformity to the norm is saddening :/

It is customer's responsibility to remember if you are subscribed or not... it is called personal responsibility.  Same is with cable TV, your cell phone end everything else. People just want to shift responsibilities to everybody else... looks like a new trend...

Edit. So EA is evil because it's not different than other companies... sigh

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Also... the OP have been subscribe here since 07... it is not like he could not have asked before he bought the gamehow things worked..?

[mod edit]

let's keep things civil please./mod

This have been a good conversation