Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Miss the old days...

TyrozTyroz Member Posts: 23

For me, The game was my first MMO and in my opinion, 1 of the few games that actually deserved the title "MMORPG". You were almost forced to group to do anything, with exception to a few things and jobs ofcourse.

You had to group for XP, Coffer hunting, Missions, the list goes on... Anyway, it was a MMO that wasn't the endless solo grind etc. Although you were forced to group it was what helped kill the boredom of XP'n and your class had it's role. I've searched for a game to fill the gap since then, But it's been fruitless. Nothing can compare to the old FFXI and I personally would gladly resub if they made a fresh server with Zilart expansion and maybe COP. But anything after that  killed it for me. The community back then were helpful, More so than any other game you could ever find.

I know deep down it won't happen, But would love to know others opinions and if enough votes hopefully someone from SE will steal my idea and claim it as their own.

Comments

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

This peeked my interest, I loved the old FFXI, mostly for the community, it was awesome on Bahamut, the general gameplay and story are what sucked me in though.

If they started a fresh server with that epansion I would so play on it

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

I would! 

Skill chains were awesome.

Jobs and subjobs were awesome.

XP was pretty slow, would love to see that bumped, but otherwise, not too many improvements needed.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

The thing that made it great was that we didn't know everything and it was new.

If they were to launch such a server now, it would turn into a rush to 75 asap so you could monopolize the 3 kings.  I don't think that helpful community would make a comeback.  Times change and i firmly believe that you can never go home again.

• TyrozTyroz Member Posts: 23

Originally posted by Alders

The thing that made it great was that we didn't know everything and it was new.

If they were to launch such a server now, it would turn into a rush to 75 asap so you could monopolize the 3 kings.  I don't think that helpful community would make a comeback.  Times change and i firmly believe that you can never go home again.

While that may be true, The rush to 75 only really counts for hardcore players or the competitive type. Don't know too much about it the game these days, but it had it's fair share of casual gamers who could only come on at weekends etc or for a few hours on weekdays. While I admit I don't know how good the replay value would be like, It could be just as you said that it was because everything was new. Will the magic of such a game ever be restored? Probably not.

Plus even during the NA release, there were still some rushing to 75 anyway.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

Everyone says this about their first MMO!!  Mine was Earth and Beyond.

I don't miss the old days but like everyone else I miss the feeling of something being new and exciting.  But thats just life I guess.   Something is only new once.   Don't be misguided and think it was just the game.   It wasn't.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Meh I miss FFXI

I'm tempted to subscribe for a month just to see who of my old mates still plays and maybe enjoy a Besieged or two and a good old fashioned Dynamis run.

Harbinger of Fools
  • k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

I like it how it is now. Just FYI though I absolutely hated the ToAU expansion and I'm glad that part of the world is rarely used anymore. It has the old ffxi feel with tons of new stuff to do. Plus I spend little time xping and farming which were my 2 least favorite things before. It's all about the fun stuff now.

• TyrozTyroz Member Posts: 23

Originally posted by k11keeper

I like it how it is now. Just FYI though I absolutely hated the ToAU expansion and I'm glad that part of the world is rarely used anymore. It has the old ffxi feel with tons of new stuff to do. Plus I spend little time xping and farming which were my 2 least favorite things before. It's all about the fun stuff now.

Guess everyone is different, XP'n and farming were among my favourite things to do. lol Wasn't actually much I disliked about how the game was at NA release. Came back a few months ago but hated it, The exp is ruined with abyssea but if some players enjoy that then all the best to them.

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

I loved the old FFXI. I was actually considering buying the game again today to start playing again.

The last time I played was right after the 3 mini-expansion packs released. What exactly is different now? I know the level cap has increased a ton but, from the way people are talking, it sounds like grouping and leveling are dead now.

Say it ain't so!

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

Originally posted by FrostWyrm

I loved the old FFXI. I was actually considering buying the game again today to start playing again.

The last time I played was right after the 3 mini-expansion packs released. What exactly is different now? I know the level cap has increased a ton but, from the way people are talking, it sounds like grouping and leveling are dead now.

Say it ain't so!

Grouping and lvling still exist. It's just different now. Instead of a small 6 man xp group with a puller, tank, healer, dd setup. You have an 18 person alliance destoying all the mobs in certain area of the zone. In abyssea there is an infinite chain. Meaning if you kill the same type of monster over and over and nothing else you can get the xp chain to cap at 600xp per kill. I think my friend leveled his rng from 34-99 the other day in like 8.5 hours. Problem is once you've leveled the job that is just the beginning. You will need to skill up, merit, and gear the job before its really of any use. Only thing now that feels like a boring time sync is skilling up and there will be a lot of that. I'm not sure if you're familiar with staggering but they have brought that to ffxi. Meaning if you use a certian ability, weapon skill, spell on the mob you will strike fear into them and stagger them for a long time. In voidwatch this is a constant thing you will be doing while in abyssea you will do it on occasion to help with drop rates and key item farming. Also if you want to you can go to gusgen mines, crawler's nest, or boston oubliette to xp off of the pages with groups. This is what i did from 1-75 on my first job but abyssea parties are so much faster I don't bother anymore there are tons of things more fun to do than xp now.

For all the people that hear about the new changes and think "oh man that sounds awful I'd hate that" give it a try. 95% of my ls is people who played back in the day and came back recently and we are loving the game and having a blast. No more waiting for xp parties, no more hours upon hours of farming to get gil. You just go and do things. A lot of the abyssea content is still really fun too even after doing a lot of it over and over to get the gear you. Then there is voidwatch which is also very fun. Haven't tried to th new legion yet myself but also a lot of the older content can be low manned now which adds a new dynamic to things. Just did divine might with 3 people the other night.

• WagrumWagrum Member Posts: 56

There actually is a Zilart only server around somewhere, played on it a few months back but not all the missions are working yet.

But yeah I am still hoping for FFXI to go free to play or buy to play. It'll probably never happen, but it's a nice idea.

• SxHxIxFxTxYSxHxIxFxTxY Member UncommonPosts: 21

Can someone give me some info on how to find that Zilart server? would love to check that out.

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782

A server with only Zilart and COP would make my year.  If you can point me in the direction of the Zilart only server I would still be happy.  Everything back then was so chill and fun.  I go on and on about this on these forums but players are just greedy now. 

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

I'd definitely go for a Zilart + CoP server. With CoP being as it was at its release, or *maybe* after their first adjustments. None of the "uncapped everything" they did to it later, though.

Other than that, a Zilart only server would be great, too.

Oh, and no "x50 xp multiplier" crap that they like to put on private servers alot. I hate that.

I'd go back in a heartbeat. No question.

• VernamVernam Member UncommonPosts: 50

A new server with just Zilart & Promies? *Throws money at screen*

FFXI back when you were forced to group and makes friends by the time you were level 10... No other game has given me that sense of accomplishment when you level up, learn a new weaponskill, spell, etc. Getting your airship pass, unlocking your advanced job, completing your first limit break, getting your artifact armor, they were very proud moments because you and your friends that you've grown close to worked really hard together to get them. Once you've had that feeling its hard to play solo-friendly MMOs.

• blombablomba Member Posts: 5
    the best private server i know of is darkstar they have a few pre-abyssea servers with retail stats they very fun. Fun actually camping simurgh or king arthro/lord of onzozo again and those items actually being useful. As for whether the game is better ro worse since abyssea came along. id say good annd bad but mostly bad. The bad first: the population are so low and many rude players but there still are quite a few true ff players around that give the game that great community feeling, exping is so easy now which is good and bad, lets face it days to get 1 level was good and bad, sucked wasting that much time but felt much more rewarding and taught you how to do your job. Now any noob has a lvl 99 character. some good parts are not needing a huge alliance to do everything now, which again can be good or bad depending on how you look at it. overall the game still has that ff feel but unfortunately lower server populations make many of the old zones feel empty. I think many people still play mainly just because of their nostalgia of how awesoem this game once was
    I was playing on dakrstars classic server.  I think they plan on going past ToAU and keeping it pre abyssea.  If the server was not going past ToAU I would still play it.
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

As of right now I am back playing FFXI on the Pheonix server. I have joined the LS The ReturnersXI and have made a CORE group of friends. FFXI was also a "first MMO" for me. Many days, weeks and years were spent playing the game. My one big regret from my previous time in the game was most of my LSmates were able to surpass me in leveling because I work a full time job and cannot dedicate as much time as others did to leveling the jobs. With the new LS I have found, there is a  focus of "doing it the traditional route" and  I have found enjoyment in the game again. The LS helps in many ways. We use voice to communicate mostly (which is a nice plus compared to the old days). The core group of members has the goal of doing the missions and story in the order they were meant to be played in. So no skipping to the end, which I am looking forward to, seeing I missed a lot of content in previous play time.

If you are looking to return and do not desire to powerlevel your way to 99 then come join us on Pheonix in the LS The ReturnersXI. Ask for a LS pearl from Razela, Slowtease, Tedlar, or Xeponia. Our focus is on bringing the social aspect back to the game, along with the fun of helping and growing together. With the new(ish) Sync system many members will sync down to help lower levels and to achieve mission/rank goals for all.

Check us out! See you in game.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Boneserino

I don't miss the old days but like everyone else I miss the feeling of something being new and exciting.  But thats just life I guess.   Something is only new once.   Don't be misguided and think it was just the game.   It wasn't.

FFXI wasn't my first MMO. It was my third. For me it very much was "just the game" that made XI awesome to me.

No other MMO before or since hooked me the way XI did from my first hour playing it, and on through the over 7 years I played it after that.

I have real-life fiends who feel exactly the same way about the way XI was. We remember exactly what the game was like, all its flaws, warts and all. No "rose-colored glasses" here, skewing our vision. We'd still go back in a heartbeat.

For me, SE caught lightning in a bottle with FFXI like no other MMO developer has been able to since, including SE themselves with XIV. They got so much about the game right that, even with all its flaws, it was still an awesome experience overall.

I know it's popular to say "oh that's just nostalgia" or "oh, everyone's first is always their favorite". It's very easy to make generalizations and assume it applies to everyone, or even to "most", but you really can't do that. There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to anything in life. Everyone likes things for their own reasons, in their own ways.

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by TangentPoint
    Originally posted by Boneserino

FFXI wasn't my first MMO. It was my third. For me it very much was "just the game" that made XI awesome to me.

No other MMO before or since hooked me the way XI did from my first hour playing it, and on through the over 7 years I played it after that.

I have real-life fiends who feel exactly the same way about the way XI was. We remember exactly what the game was like, all its flaws, warts and all. No "rose-colored glasses" here, skewing our vision. We'd still go back in a heartbeat.

For me, SE caught lightning in a bottle with FFXI like no other MMO developer has been able to since, including SE themselves with XIV. They got so much about the game right that, even with all its flaws, it was still an awesome experience overall.

I know it's popular to say "oh that's just nostalgia" or "oh, everyone's first is always their favorite". It's very easy to make generalizations and assume it applies to everyone, or even to "most", but you really can't do that. There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to anything in life. Everyone likes things for their own reasons, in their own ways.

A-freaking-men to this. I get so tired of that "Oh, you only feel that way because it was your first game" bull sh*t. Really? Someone else telling me what I think, how I feel and what I enjoy? GIve me a break. FFXI was probably my 3rd or 4th in the list of mmorpgs I played back in the early days (EQ being the first for quite a few consecutive years) and it blew my mind how well put together, fun and enthralling it was. Even to this day, it's one of my favorite mmos and, despite its age, still has more style to it than just about any other. It's just the way the leveling process/journey has been trivialized that has killed much of my drive to play the game anymore, more so than anything else.

I also played on the first EQ progression server back in 2006 and even though I had already played the game for years prior to that, it felt like I was there for the first time all over again. It was a blast and I played it all the way until they unlocked the expansion that killed the vibe of the game for me. It's definitely not always just a "rose-colored glasses" thing. Sometimes fundamental changes are made to a game that I just can't settle with, so I vote with my wallet. I imagine many others do the same.

• aphydorkaphydork Member Posts: 133
    I refuse to farm crawlers for silk threads anymore.
  • BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333

Yeah, communities aren't the same as they used to be. I think it has to do with a majority of people having access to the internet now. And the president wants to give everyone free high speed internet too? One thing I hated though was that a friend of mine was a white mage and we could always form a party relatively quickly. Once that class was changed, our party forming and getting abilities dropped and with that we dropped the game. Nowadays I'm pretty grind averse too, and I kind of blade the old generation games for that. Not FFXI, but more Lineage II grinds I hate.

Also, you mentioned you were looking for a game to fill the gap, I would look at Wizardry Online. Ironically the character design looks like it was heavily based on FFXI.