Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I wanted to like it...I really really did

1235»

Comments

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Not bored in the slightest, loving everything. I made this my new home because of all the advances they added to help curtail all the problems that come with PVE play. It's nice to be in the open world and not have someone try to kill you while you are farming, try to steal your stuff, try to train you with ten million mobs, and try to keep you from progressing because they disagree with your gearscore or dps.

This game is a very nice improvement. 

The crafting is very good because it allows the common player the ability to make full on sets if needed to help with the progression in the game, to make sets that give you a magic find to drops to improve your income and the ability to make end game armor that's just as good as drops. What more could you ask for. It also removed such things as impossible to drop recipes that people used to lord over everyone that were necessary items for quests to complete. don't miss that one bit.

Yall have fun on here I'm logging back in. :)

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by TeknoBug

Jesus how the hell did the coffee reach 180 degrees? Coffee isn't even supposed to reach boiling point to begin with.

It can't, he's posting nonsense. Coffee is basically water, and liquid water can't be hotter than 100°C under atmospheric pressure or it's no longer liquid but vapor (=gas). Even less when poured into a cup and already lost a good part of its heat. It's physically impossible for liquid water to reach 180°C under the pressure of 1 atmosphere, and that's definitely the pressure when poured into a cup.

I know that case well or I wouldn't have posted about it - it's basically the story of someone not able to admit it's own mistakes who found a good lawyer and got big money thanks to his own stupidity.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• aphydorkaphydork Member Posts: 133

100° celsius = 212° Fahrenheit.

SCIENCE! Or... more unit conversion.

Originally posted by fenistil

I think you've spoken without knowing facts.  Actuall NCSoft Europe (it is handling european sales formally) is offering 30 day money back peroid for ANY reason also in Europe.  How do I know?  I am from EU myself and I know people that did.

Know what?   NCSoft Europe did give them money back.

Oh I'm sure they did - because they most likely have one worldwide policy aligned on the most restrictive laws. It doesn't mean it will work for all games in Europe. There's a good reason why European shops have a "no refund" policy whern it comes to online games - because the law allows them to have it.

Anyway, it's not really related to the original discussion - but asking for a refund when you played 100+ hours out of a MMORPG and have brought a character to max level makes you what the person I was answering to calls a "D-Bag", and it should not happen, but it's in line with the refusal to take their own responsibilities which seems to become more common every day in the current generation.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

Originally posted by aphydork

100° celsius = 212° Fahrenheit.

SCIENCE! Or... more unit conversion.

If you want to make "science", you also know to put the right unit after your numbers...

180°F = 82°C. A pretty normal temperature for a GOOD coffee. It must be hot but not boiling. The person was an idiot who wasn't careful with a cup of coffee at normal fresh coffee temperature, refuse to assume consequences, whined, found a good lawyer, and got rewarded for her own stupidity. Point in case.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh

There are shitloads of people playing the game for over a month and then getting a refund. Anet should say "Fuck you" to those people..

I have to agree with that (but more politely). Heck, most games I buy for $60 lasts me 2 weeks, if I would have tired of GW2 by now I would still be rather happy.

3 days or so, I can understand since the game still doesnt have a free trial but if you arent sure if a game is worth $60 or not after playing for a week you dont deserve any money back, and that goes for all games.

Agreed.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by tort0429
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

I hear ya....

I really really really wanted to like LOTRO, got lifetime sub, I was buying all expansions, but after several tries I just couldn't make myself  even to log into it.  My highest toon is 63 I think... and I have few other alts, so it's not like I did not give a try.

I love Tolkien World and lore, hah I have a framed golden map of Middle Earth hang above my fireplace,  but I just could not get the feeling that I am part of the world.  I tried, tried and tried an finally gave up. This was not it.

I found this incredible connection in SWTOR... here I live lifes of my characters, to the degree I had never ever in any game... I even started to write my own stories LOL. It just clicked.

My point is that game has to have  this special something that makes you thrilled with anticipation every time you log in. Otherwise it's just a temporary thing.

Everybody has a different "need" for this thrill. That's why it's so great that there are so many different MMOs that we can hopefully find what we are looking for.

I wish you find MMO which will click for you :) Keep looking image

Can I have it then?  Please?   :)

I was thinking the same thing. image

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

I think you've spoken without knowing facts.  Actuall NCSoft Europe (it is handling european sales formally) is offering 30 day money back peroid for ANY reason also in Europe.  How do I know?  I am from EU myself and I know people that did.

Oh I'm sure they did - because they most likely have one worldwide policy aligned on the most restrictive laws. It doesn't mean it will work for all games in Europe. There's a good reason why European shops have a "no refund" policy whern it comes to online games - because the law allows them to have it.

Anyway, it's not really related to the original discussion - but asking for a refund when you played 100+ hours out of a MMORPG and have brought a character to max level makes you what the person I was answering to calls a "D-Bag", and it should not happen, but it's in line with the refusal to take their own responsibilities which seems to become more common every day in the current generation.

I don't know about european shops, but nearly all retailers in the U.S. have a no refund policy on all games (not just online games) unless it is physically defective in some way (IE scratched disk).

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Jesus how the hell did the coffee reach 180 degrees? Coffee isn't even supposed to reach boiling point to begin with.

It can't, he's posting nonsense. Coffee is basically water, and liquid water can't be hotter than 100°C under atmospheric pressure or it's no longer liquid but vapor (=gas). Even less when poured into a cup and already lost a good part of its heat. It's physically impossible for liquid water to reach 180°C under the pressure of 1 atmosphere, and that's definitely the pressure when poured into a cup.

I know that case well or I wouldn't have posted about it - it's basically the story of someone not able to admit it's own mistakes who found a good lawyer and got big money thanks to his own stupidity.

What about superheating, via microwave?  I don't know the science well enough to say for sure, but my understanding was that was involved, which does allow liquid water to exceed its boiling point.  It just needs to be microwaved with a tight enough lid.  Seems like the sort of thing a fast food place would do.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Well I am not of opinion that developers, publishers, reailers/shops have to give this policy.  I am far from it.  I don't care tbh as I usually do a bit of research before buying games. On the other hand anyone who offer this kind of policy don't do it by accident and noone should be surprised that people will use it.

Doing force chargebacks in bank / paypal like some people do is other thing.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by niceguy3978

I don't know about european shops, but nearly all retailers in the U.S. have a no refund policy on all games (not just online games) unless it is physically defective in some way (IE scratched disk).

Same in Europe. Both in most of psysical and digital ones with some small exceptions.

• aphydorkaphydork Member Posts: 133

What a silly mistake to make for someone who knows the case so well. Anyway, McDonald's keeps its coffee at 180°F until it needs to be poured. Normally, coffee is brewed at 200°F, meaning the water initially touches the coffee grounds at 200°F. It cools down considerably in your typical carafe. Upon serving, the temperature of the coffee drops to and is enjoyed at about 130-140°F.

McDonald's coffee is kept at 180°F and poured into foam cups that keep heat, which is enough to scald and cause third-degree burns. The idea was that they believed customers were buying the coffee to be enjoyed at a later time, not immediately. It was not intended to be served at 180°F. That temperature isn't normal, and third-degree burns are very serious.

You can't normally burn yourself that badly with homebrewed coffee. So, it's only proper for McDonald's to have the cautionary HOT on their cups.

I agree that the woman should have known that the coffee was hot, but your typical hot coffee is not a big deal. People lightly scald themselves all the time--but on much cooler coffee.

It's not really a frivolous lawsuit when you actually look at the details. It just sounds that way at first glance, and people kind of jumped on that misunderstanding bandwagon.

---

And as for the return policy on software and games, it's really understandable. In some cases, there are things found in the boxes or cases that the retailers don't know enough about to check for when the items are returned. That and they have to discourage people from buying games, trying them, possibly beating them, and then returning within 30 days.

Anet and such can offer refunds, because it's their product. Retailers can't offer the same, unless they know for certain that Anet will cover the expense of a returned, open product (and, even then, it's a hassle that they might not want to go through).

• beerwigbeerwig Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by Buttski
    well... it's a pvp game.

It is?Wow...I quit playing because the pvp is horrible.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by beerwig
    well... it's a pvp game.

see you dislike PVP because of the downed mechanic.. once you get good with a group the downed mechanic is pretty great adds a ton extra enjoyment to PVP imho..  without it PVP would just be your standard fare stuff in sPVP but with it it adds a whole new layer to PVP. I didn't care for it that much at first but more I PVP more I enjoy it.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    well... it's a pvp game.

see you dislike PVP because of the downed mechanic.. once you get good with a group the downed mechanic is pretty great adds a ton extra enjoyment to PVP imho..  without it PVP would just be your standard fare stuff in sPVP but with it it adds a whole new layer to PVP. I didn't care for it that much at first but more I PVP more I enjoy it.

The downed state is very cool.  This is one of the things I was most curious about when I got the game.  People had really strong opinions about this during the beta discussions.

When I played WvW for the first time last week I noticed how our team came together to rez people.  I love that everyone has the ability to help get the downed player up and the more people that work together the faster the rez.  I think that is simply brilliant.

If the team members in the area are helping each other it allows for more daring pushes and less "ranged wall" stand-offs.  The latter makes for really stale pvp.

agreed Taugrim does a good job showing how it can be used well in sPVP fights 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFAlN6OSVOo&feature=g-user-u

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

The downed state is very cool.  This is one of the things I was most curious about when I got the game.  People had really strong opinions about this during the beta discussions.

When I played WvW for the first time last week I noticed how our team came together to rez people.  I love that everyone has the ability to help get the downed player up and the more people that work together the faster the rez.  I think that is simply brilliant.

If the team members in the area are helping each other it allows for more daring pushes and less "ranged wall" stand-offs.  The latter makes for really stale pvp.

The downed state is definitely useful for dealing with weakened enemies. I was doing that Fire Elemental fight in the Asura starting zone (Yeah, I don't move that much because I'm already Level 33 XD), and I found that if you weaken the Embers enough, and then if you happen to get pwned by one of the Fire Elemental's insta-gib attacks, you can just kill the weakened Embers to effectively give yourself a free rez. It's really handy and prolongs my normally short lifespan by a good few minutes, assuming nothing sprouts up beneath me.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by bigsmiff
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto

OK, here is my take on GW2:

I find myself logging in just to hit the next level. I am currently level 36 and I am hitting a massive boredom wall. I find the crafting horrible, the quests redundant, the same old mobs in different zones and the auction house is totally useless since you can't craft anything that sells.

The plus side of the game is the exploration, but that isn't enough to keep me playing. I am sure Anet will eventually make the game great, but I am going to have to move on until they do.

I just want to take the time to thank you for adding to the sales count and helping to fund future development for my game.

I got a refund.. guess I'm outta the sales count

think it's horrible ANET gives refunds to the likes of these people but guess they are a pretty good company in that regard.

WOW...are you OK? I am not bashing the game at all, but you come on these forums being rude to anyone that doesn't like the game. I only made this thread to maybe help give someone some insight on the game...same as anyone else that discusses a game here.

you can read my post history i only get on certain people that are obviously trolling(not saying you are trolling at all).. and besides i think it is obsurd people can play this game for more hours than most single player games offer and still get a refund.. that's being VERY generous of ANET  imho 

100% agree. They delivered on everything they promised, if people didnt do research that is their problem. ANet are much nicer than pretty much any other company around would have been. In fact I cant think of a single other software company that would do that.

Originally posted by Enigmatus

The downed state is definitely useful for dealing with weakened enemies. I was doing that Fire Elemental fight in the Asura starting zone (Yeah, I don't move that much because I'm already Level 33 XD), and I found that if you weaken the Embers enough, and then if you happen to get pwned by one of the Fire Elemental's insta-gib attacks, you can just kill the weakened Embers to effectively give yourself a free rez. It's really handy and prolongs my normally short lifespan by a good few minutes, assuming nothing sprouts up beneath me.

my only issues is some are way stronger in PVP than others.. for instance rangers is pretty useless in sPVP but mesmer and thief can just be a pain in the ass

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    well... it's a pvp game.

Some downed states are better than others too. Mesmers and Thieves are pretty squishy compared to other classes, but knock them down and youll have a hell of a fight on your hands. I have managed to kill other players at 90% (who came to finish me off as I was fighting someone else) from the downed state as a Mesmer.

Also I love being able to rush in, knock people back with my greatsword as they try to finish someone and then res them. Its a brilliant extra layer of depth that they have added.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I find myself logging in just to hit the next level. I am currently level 36 and I am hitting a massive boredom wall. I find the crafting horrible, the quests redundant, the same old mobs in different zones and the auction house is totally useless since you can't craft anything that sells.

The plus side of the game is the exploration, but that isn't enough to keep me playing. I am sure Anet will eventually make the game great, but I am going to have to move on until they do.

I knew this by playing beta 1, at this time everyone believed except BCBully it will be the second coming of MMO messiah.

Why do you think there is no trial available?

Why do you think there is no sub available?

Count 1+1

I'll just insert my name right there and agree with you :p

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    well... it's a pvp game.

There's no PvP in the PvE part of the game.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by bcbully

I knew this by playing beta 1, at this time everyone believed except BCBully it will be the second coming of MMO messiah.

Why do you think there is no trial available?

Why do you think there is no sub available?

Count 1+1

I'll just insert my name right there and agree with you :p

Conveniently forgetting that there are people who do like the game that also knew it wouldn't be some kind of messiah, but I suppose that would be breaking the " All GW2 fanboys are crazy" shtick that people love to lump on us now wouldn't it?