Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I wanted to like it...I really really did

Comments

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Buttski
    well... it's a pvp game.

It is? image

I found the PvE far more fun than the PvP and I am more into PvP when it comes to MMORPGs.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by halflife25
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

still curious as to why you actually think I care or not if people like this game ort not.. what i don't like is trolling which has be rampant on these boards(not talking about OPs post).. and as for the topic on hand I do think is obsurb any company would give a refund for a game people played for hours and just got bored.. if that was the case I would of gotten a refund for swtor, tera, lotro, AoC, and a couple others but I didn't I stil get more hours out of any of those games than many srpg game provide.. still very surprised anet is generous enough to refund these people.

You could have fooled me if you were not white knighting for GW2 in every single thread.  If it bothers you hit the report button. By making personal attacks you are only making situation even worse.

Also, it is ANET who is giving refnds to people as long as you buy the game from official website. So don't blame just the players. if Anet wants they can remove refund option.

so because you don't agree with what I have to say and you agree with people certain people trolling the game I'm white knighting.. it's a nice double standard on these forums though.. but just find it funny the one in question said they feel ANET is trying to mislead or trick people in some way by not offering a trial or anything yet they offer full refunds.. and.. yea...

I don't agree with personal attacks because i have suffered the brunt from day to day basis and i am getting a little annoyed.

It is quite possible to give your opinion without personal attacks. Could you show me where i said i agree with OP? how ever i do diagree with internet bullying and pack mentality that goes around here the moment someone dares to crticise GW2. And it is always the same 4 or 5 names who jump on OP like a pack of hungry wolves.

take a look at my post history how many of those posts are personal attacks.. if they were I would have gotten warnings, bans, and the like... i have not gotten any of that.. besides the statement in question wasn't directed at any "person".. don't see how you can consider "these people" a "personal" attack.. you basically don't like what I have to say so you are getting all up and arms about it... why I don't know...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Yamota
    well... it's a pvp game.

It is? image

I found the PvE far more fun than the PvP and I am more into PvP when it comes to MMORPGs.

i will agree as of right now this game is more of a PVE game than PVP.. PVP while it's fun needs to be more fleshed out to really be considered a PVP centric type game.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    well... it's a pvp game.

It is? image

Used to think it was just trolling, to call it a PvP game, but now I think there may be some truth to it.  Currently, most of the game is PvE, but the way I see the PvE zones emptying out, and PvP staying so active, I wonder.. might turn out to be the PvP fans are the ones that will stick with the game in the long run, primarily.  It just might be the PvP is the only thing that gives the game its longevity.

The way the PvP and PvE is so seperate though, it will never appeal to more PvE oriented players, as much as RvR did in a game like DAOC.  So the way the game is going, it just seems like it may eventually be a PvP game.  Essentially.  With all these empty PvE zones, unless ANet does something to change that.  

They've got too much invested in going the way they're already going, though, and maybe those PvP fans will be enough to keep it all afloat.  Much moreso than the PvE side.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by Vhaln
    well... it's a pvp game.

It is? image

Used to think it was just trolling, to call it a PvP game, but now I think there may be some truth to it.  Currently, most of the game is PvE, but the way I see the PvE zones emptying out, and PvP staying so active, I wonder.. might turn out to be the PvP fans are the ones that will stick with the game in the long run, primarily.  It just might be the PvP is the only thing that gives the game its longevity.

The way the PvP and PvE is so seperate though, it will never appeal to more PvE oriented players, as much as RvR did in a game like DAOC.  So the way the game is going, it just seems like it may eventually be a PvP game.  Essentially.  With all these empty PvE zones, unless ANet does something to change that.  

They've got too much invested in going the way they're already going, though, and maybe those PvP fans will be enough to keep it all afloat.  Much moreso than the PvE side.

For a minute i thought you were talking about my server. ORR zones are emptying out and WVW is always full. And why not? faster and easier to farm karma and gold.

People usually come to ORR only to get their daily ori and then jump back into W v W.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by TeknoBug I'm still enjoying GW2, my first toon was a mesmer and now I'm spending more time with my necromancer and it's a very fun class (reminds me of dark/dark corruptor or brute in City of Heroes), there are many parts of the world I haven't been to yet and I'm at ~70% completion I think.   Originally posted by Buttski well... it's a pvp game.
    Yes, but the pvp side is a god awful mess with all those instagib thieves and bunker guardians and elementalists, I haven't bothered with a sPVP/tPVP queue in a few weeks now. WvW is still fun but stops being fun when the players on the losing server transfers over to the winning one, they need to stop the free transfers now.  
    elementalists? you must really not of played sPVP in awhile heh.. thieves are not hard to counter at all all now and bunker guardians are well bunker guardians they serve their purpose.. been doing sPVP a lot recently and it's by far the most balanced sPVP type gameplay I ever played played this close to the launch of a game like this.

You don't see many of those in sPVP, but in tPVP you'll see them. in sPVP I've been facing full teams of thieves or thieves and warriors, I just ragequit them. I don't remember the last sPVP match with an actual variety of classes.

WIth my necro, I can counter those bunker guardians but there's nobody to team with anymore for tPVP and pug'ing in tPVP is pointless.

well... it's a pvp game.

It is? image

For a minute i thought you were talking about my server. ORR zones are emptying out and WVW is always full. And why not? faster and easier to farm karma and gold.

People usually come to ORR only to get their daily ori and then jump back into W v W.

PVP for many people is "endgame" for them.. I will say myself my "endgame" is PVP as I'm not the type to run dungeons over and over in any game... although right now i enjoy the leveling process enough that for me it's mostly a PVE game.. I also feel especially in sPVP there needs to be more combat modes aside from just conquest to really flesh out that aspect of the game.. although imho it has a great foundation to work on for a newly released MMO

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Thane
    Originally posted by bigsmiff
    Originally posted by GolbezTheLion
    [mod edit]

And your point? I would take the crafting in SWG NGE over the content in any of todays current MMO's. At least it could keep you interested for longer than a month.

SWG NGE had everything that I like in an MMO:

1. Deep crafting system

2. Dungeons

3. Exploration

4. Best housing system in any MMO

5. Great space content

6. No grinding unless that's what you wanted to do

"Look  mommie, what is this one doing over there?" "he is living in the past my son, remembering things that never really happened".

sorry, but SWG went total bullshit when they decided to become a wow clone. therefor:

my mmo is a bird! your argument is invalid! 

But it did happen...I played it for many years. You must be one of those bitter "I hate the NGE" folks.

Originally posted by TeknoBug

Originally posted by TeknoBug I'm still enjoying GW2, my first toon was a mesmer and now I'm spending more time with my necromancer and it's a very fun class (reminds me of dark/dark corruptor or brute in City of Heroes), there are many parts of the world I haven't been to yet and I'm at ~70% completion I think.  

Originally posted by Buttski well... it's a pvp game.
    Yes, but the pvp side is a god awful mess with all those instagib thieves and bunker guardians and elementalists, I haven't bothered with a sPVP/tPVP queue in a few weeks now. WvW is still fun but stops being fun when the players on the losing server transfers over to the winning one, they need to stop the free transfers now.  
    elementalists? you must really not of played sPVP in awhile heh.. thieves are not hard to counter at all all now and bunker guardians are well bunker guardians they serve their purpose.. been doing sPVP a lot recently and it's by far the most balanced sPVP type gameplay I ever played played this close to the launch of a game like this.
    You don't see many of those in sPVP, but in tPVP you'll see them. in sPVP I've been facing full teams of thieves or thieves and warriors, I just ragequit them. I don't remember the last sPVP match with an actual variety of classes.

WIth my necro, I can counter those bunker guardians but there's nobody to team with anymore for tPVP and pug'ing in tPVP is pointless.

I will agree PUGs in tournys are pointless but that's what pvp guilds are for:) I'd jump into sPVP a bit more it's gotten a lot better imho than it was several weeks ago. In my experience balance on classes really hasn't been bad, only see lack of elementalists, necros, and engineers but mostly because it my experience in other aspects of the game those 3 are least played overall anyway. Only oddball is mesmer which i say way more in PVP than outside in the PVE world:)

• tort0429tort0429 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

I hear ya....

I really really really wanted to like LOTRO, got lifetime sub, I was buying all expansions, but after several tries I just couldn't make myself  even to log into it.  My highest toon is 63 I think... and I have few other alts, so it's not like I did not give a try.

I love Tolkien World and lore, hah I have a framed golden map of Middle Earth hang above my fireplace,  but I just could not get the feeling that I am part of the world.  I tried, tried and tried an finally gave up. This was not it.

I found this incredible connection in SWTOR... here I live lifes of my characters, to the degree I had never ever in any game... I even started to write my own stories LOL. It just clicked.

My point is that game has to have  this special something that makes you thrilled with anticipation every time you log in. Otherwise it's just a temporary thing.

Everybody has a different "need" for this thrill. That's why it's so great that there are so many different MMOs that we can hopefully find what we are looking for.

I wish you find MMO which will click for you :) Keep looking image

Can I have it then?  Please?   :)

Originally posted by bigsmiff
    Originally posted by Thane Originally posted by bigsmiff Originally posted by GolbezTheLion [mod edit]
    And your point? I would take the crafting in SWG NGE over the content in any of todays current MMO's. At least it could keep you interested for longer than a month. SWG NGE had everything that I like in an MMO:   1. Deep crafting system 2. Dungeons 3. Exploration 4. Best housing system in any MMO 5. Great space content 6. No grinding unless that's what you wanted to do
    "Look  mommie, what is this one doing over there?" "he is living in the past my son, remembering things that never really happened". sorry, but SWG went total bullshit when they decided to become a wow clone. therefor: my mmo is a bird! your argument is invalid! 
    But it did happen...I played it for many years. You must be one of those bitter "I hate the NGE" folks.

Count me as one of those, I couldn't last as long in the NGE whereas pre NGE I played nonstop from 2003 up until near the end of 2005, pvp was intense all the time beforehand, there were lots of things to do.

Originally posted by TeknoBug   Originally posted by Aerowyn Originally posted by TeknoBug I'm still enjoying GW2, my first toon was a mesmer and now I'm spending more time with my necromancer and it's a very fun class (reminds me of dark/dark corruptor or brute in City of Heroes), there are many parts of the world I haven't been to yet and I'm at ~70% completion I think.   Originally posted by Buttski well... it's a pvp game.
    You don't see many of those in sPVP, but in tPVP you'll see them. in sPVP I've been facing full teams of thieves or thieves and warriors, I just ragequit them. I don't remember the last sPVP match with an actual variety of classes.   WIth my necro, I can counter those bunker guardians but there's nobody to team with anymore for tPVP and pug'ing in tPVP is pointless.
    I will agree PUGs in tournys are pointless but that's what pvp guilds are for:) I'd jump into sPVP a bit more it's gotten a lot better imho than it was several weeks ago. In my experience balance on classes really hasn't been bad, only see lack of elementalists, necros, and engineers but mostly because it my experience in other aspects of the game those 3 are least played overall anyway. Only oddball is mesmer which i say way more in PVP than outside in the PVE world:)

Yeah my guild is pvp orientated, there's something wrong when there's a lack of interest with people in my guild, we ran alot of them for the first month but then members in my guild going to HoM started to drop like flies. I also noticed the number of servers with players on the sPVP server browser has been shrinking quite a bit.

Originally posted by Mannish
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    Originally posted by Mannish
    Dont worry OP, better games are comming.image

Keep saying that and one day your life will be over.

Death is the only thing promised to us all

Not true.  I got married and was promised love and devotion...instead...I got alimony.

Originally posted by DMKano

Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Originally posted by GwapoJosh Trying to play the game on a system that is suppose to play the game but can't and gettn a refund = Good Playing the game for days, gettin bored, and getting a refund = Bad People who get refunds for getting bored is abusing the system and it makes them a massive d-bag.
    Aye, I remember that guy who posted here after playing 100+ hours and having a level 80 char that he was going to ask a refund. And yes, it's very sad if ANet gives such a person a refund, I think American law is flawed on that point. Try that in Europe, and you will be laughted at. But in the US of A, the land where you can trial a company because you were too stupid to wait that your coffee cools before taking a mouthful of it and burning yourself, everything is possible...
    You don't know the details of that case - look it up.

The coffee was 180+ degrees which was spilled on her leg and caused 3rd degree burns that required skin grafts. She sued for 20,000 to cover medical expenses.

Then McDonalds low balled her with $800 offer - and also hid the fact that there were over 700 burn complaints due to how hot their coffee was. Your home made coffee is usually around 120 degrees.

Well good thing they lost the case and now their coffee is not scalding hot anymore.

Jesus how the hell did the coffee reach 180 degrees? Coffee isn't even supposed to reach boiling point to begin with.

PS- a friend of mine bit on a bolt that was in his quarter pounder. I haven't eaten at McD's since 1998 or so, glad I still don't.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Exactly.  The problem (is it a problem?) is that there are lots of PvE players who won't PvP at all, unless there are rewards that can only be gotten in PvP.  Rewards that will benefit them in PvE.  

e.g. My character in DAOC was so strong, due to realm ranks, and soloing reds and even purples because of that felt pretty cool.  It's not that I hate PvP.. I'm just more of a PvE player, and have trouble getting into PvP,  just for PvP's sake.  I think PvP can add a whole new dimension to an MMO, but only if it's all tied together well.  In GW2, it is not tied together at all.  Just the opposite, really.

Nowadays, devs are so afraid of alienating the demographic that refuses to PvP at all, ever.. but it used to be that games were viewed as a cohesive whole.  The idea of seperating elements to appeal to different demographics is like making half a game over here, and half a game over there.. but for most people, that just ends up feeling like half a game.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

Yeah my guild is pvp orientated, there's something wrong when there's a lack of interest with people in my guild, we ran alot of them for the first month but then members in my guild going to HoM started to drop like flies. I also noticed the number of servers with players on the sPVP server browser has been shrinking quite a bit.

well the ticket tournys are coming as are the custom arenas so hopefully that will spark some more interest into the sPVP side of things.. do hope new map modes are in the works and coming soon though

Originally posted by GwapoJosh Trying to play the game on a system that is suppose to play the game but can't and gettn a refund = Good Playing the game for days, gettin bored, and getting a refund = Bad People who get refunds for getting bored is abusing the system and it makes them a massive d-bag.
    Aye, I remember that guy who posted here after playing 100+ hours and having a level 80 char that he was going to ask a refund. And yes, it's very sad if ANet gives such a person a refund, I think American law is flawed on that point. Try that in Europe, and you will be laughted at. But in the US of A, the land where you can trial a company because you were too stupid to wait that your coffee cools before taking a mouthful of it and burning yourself, everything is possible...

The coffee was 180+ degrees which was spilled on her leg and caused 3rd degree burns that required skin grafts. She sued for 20,000 to cover medical expenses.

Then McDonalds low balled her with $800 offer - and also hid the fact that there were over 700 burn complaints due to how hot their coffee was. Your home made coffee is usually around 120 degrees.

Well good thing they lost the case and now their coffee is not scalding hot anymore.

Jesus how the hell did the coffee reach 180 degrees? Coffee isn't even supposed to reach boiling point to begin with.

LOL.  Lava coffee.  clears the sinus AND the throat, lungs, stomach...literally..

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by tort0429

LOL.  Lava coffee.  clears the sinus AND the throat, lungs, stomach...literally..

LMAO  I almost spilled my coffee reading this...

Kudos for you guys... if there would be award for the most entertaining de-tour from the thread - I would definitely give it to you image

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• dg29031994dg29031994 Member UncommonPosts: 135
    IMO GW2 is a decent game. Although i have to agree that the combat is rebetative and there is not much for us to achieve as we goes to high lvl. But GW2 is different from other MMOs. In other MMOs like WoW, Aion, Tera,... pretty much all we do before we get to max lvl is grinding, there is not much to do in those game before we get to max lvl. GW2 is difference, we don't have to do Q to lvl, we can join WvW and lvl as fast as pve. And we event have DEs in pve world. Yes, the DEs is rebetative, but atleast it gives us something else to do beside quests. It also let us understand more about the GW2 world and react with other players. Like many people said. GW2 is not for everyone, i personally did not like GW2 at the first look. I'm the type of guy that like game with awesome skills animation and has beautiful world like Tera. I start playing GW2 because of its hype. But i changed my mind completely after the first beta. The world even though not as beautiful as Tera and the skills does not look as awesome as Aion, but the gameplay, story, and the contents in game are what that keep me playing. Aion and Tera has beautiful world and skills animation but they are lack of the contents. What else can you do beside questing before you get to max lvl? Leveling period is the time when you can enjoy, explore and understand the world. GW2 make me feel like playing and exploring, other MMOs can't. It feels like a job to lvl in other games, and by the time you get to max lvl, it is a job for you to farm gear because of course you don't want to lose to other players. And you cannot enjoy game if you keep losing right? That's my opinion, but like me and other people said, GW2 is not for everyone.
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh

Trying to play the game on a system that is suppose to play the game but can't and gettn a refund = Good

Playing the game for days, gettin bored, and getting a refund = Bad

People who get refunds for getting bored is abusing the system and it makes them a massive d-bag.

Aye, I remember that guy who posted here after playing 100+ hours and having a level 80 char that he was going to ask a refund. And yes, it's very sad if ANet gives such a person a refund, I think American law is flawed on that point.

Try that in Europe, and you will be laughted at. But in the US of A, the land where you can trial a company because you were too stupid to wait that your coffee cools before taking a mouthful of it and burning yourself, everything is possible...

There really isn't any "American law" when it comes to refunds.  These things very state by state, and don't usually even kick in until we start talking about big ticket items that cost hundreds or thousands of dollars.  There is definitly no law requiring the refund of video or computer games, something I have complained about for a while.  You can get a refund on perishable items like food at most stores, but not video games.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Trying to play the game on a system that is suppose to play the game but can't and gettn a refund = Good

People who get refunds for getting bored is abusing the system and it makes them a massive d-bag.

Aye, I remember that guy who posted here after playing 100+ hours and having a level 80 char that he was going to ask a refund. And yes, it's very sad if ANet gives such a person a refund, I think American law is flawed on that point.

Try that in Europe, and you will be laughted at. But in the US of A, the land where you can trial a company because you were too stupid to wait that your coffee cools before taking a mouthful of it and burning yourself, everything is possible...

Even still, this and that are completely different issues. To link them is simply out of context. That's a personal injury lawsuit, this is a consumer exchange policy.

Companies have been offering satisfaction guarantees for only ever. I guess generations of consumers who were dissatisfied and got their money back (under a satisfaction guarantee policy) are all DBs for not wanting to feel ripped off by some company. Did you know that if you are walking along the road and you find a rusty broken Craftsman hand tool that's been burried in the dirt for over a decade, you can take it to any Sears and get a brand new replacement no questions asked? That's exactly what happened to a friemd of mine. Was he a DB for doing that? No, If the manufacturer was happy to provide the replacement in exchange for positive word of mouth advertising, who's place is it to judge them for offering it? Beyond that, Who's place is it to judge someone else for taking them up on such an offer? The fact that this sentiment seems to be limited to this product and not other "Satisfaction Guaranteed" products tells me that some fans are more offended that someone rejected GW2 in the 1st place then they are that they tried to get their money back.

Seriously, this is betweeen ArenaNet and the customer. The fact that you don't like ANet's policy is none of your business. Maybe ANet has sold more boxes because people on the fence know they can get thier money back if they aren't happy and have gone ahead and purchased knowing there is minimal risk.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

I think you've spoken without knowing facts.  Actuall NCSoft Europe (it is handling european sales formally) is offering 30 day money back peroid for ANY reason also in Europe.  How do I know?  I am from EU myself and I know people that did.

Know what?   NCSoft Europe did give them money back.

I myself did not give it back because I bought my GW2 copy from 3rd party legit seller at about 25% lower price, but without ability to return it after purcharse and after using game. Plus I bought new PC over a month after GW2 release and I was waiting with final judgement of GW2 before I will have comfortable fps wise on high settings gameplay.

What I DO find wrong is if people try to charge back forcefully via bank / paypal - if producer does not offer return policy and product is good and they just don't like it.

IF producer is offering from their own free will a return policy - then I have no idea why you think it is bad?

Hell If I would be eligible to return policy set by NCSoft/A.net I would return it myself, but I am not complaining because It was my choice to not be eligible (and I got perks for beign not).

• aphydorkaphydork Member Posts: 133

I think that, within the first month or two, it's far better to simply refund a disgruntled player's money than to have them complain on the forums all the 1-2-3 months of your initial release.

There are still those people who complain a majority of the time but don't dislike it enough to ask for a refund completely, but every little bit helps, probably.