Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ROR Worst Expansion Ever

Riders of Rohan what a waste of money, no new instances, take away mounted combat which is very laggy/buggy not smooth at all and you have nothing for the price of £30.

Im sure somewhere i saw it get an award for the best expansion of 2012 if this was the case then we are being lied too.

Comments

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by mercurykev

Riders of Rohan what a waste of money, no new instances, take away mounted combat which is very laggy/buggy not smooth at all and you have nothing for the price of £30.

Im sure somewhere i saw it get an award for the best expansion of 2012 if this was the case then we are being lied too.

Every expansion has been smaller than the previous one. Were you expecting the trend to change?

• KhorraxKhorrax Member UncommonPosts: 53

It's funny, but most of the people I've spoken to are having a blast with RoR. Sure, would have been cool to have the new instances at launch, but it's a surprisingly good expansion so far. The open tapping, mounted combat, on the fly quest acquisition (and the sheer amount of quests - good diversity of quests as well), all these contribute to make it a very enjoyable experience. I've only played RoI at launch, I wasn't around when MoM or SoM launched, but that thing bored me so much I quit the game for a few months.

Of course, in the end it's a matter of preference, but I would certainly not call it the worst expansion ever.

• mercurykevmercurykev Member Posts: 6
    i was expecting something better, all ppl i speak to say its very dissapointing.  If this is the shape of things to come then Mordor wont be happening, where you used to get 10TP for advanced kills you now only get 5, they are cutting down the points you receive and trying to get you to pay more. This is a sign that times are hard even at turbine.
  • leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371

Meh, most of the people that I've talked to say that this is the best lotro expansion since Moria, and I would agree.  The mounted combat is generally pretty fun.  It's not perfect, and a bit laggy sometimes, but hopefully they'll take care of that.  But still, even those aren't enough to make it un-fun.  It's a whole new system and really refreshes the game imo.  I think they nailed it.  I haven't hit level cap yet, so we'll see what it's like when I get there. 

I'm assuming people will be doing skirmishes until the instances (which are included in the purchase price) come out.  This I also don't mind since the players have been doing instances for a while now and quite frankly, I'm sick of instances.

I think you're mistaken that the expansion has won any awards.  It's only been out for a few days.  Maybe a best in show at E3 or something like that?

-edit-

And come on....There's no way that you can say that RoR is worse than Mirkwood.  I like Mirkwood....as a zone, not an expansion, but it was sold as an expansion.  RoR is not the worse LOTRO expansion by far.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

The pulling of instances was well covered.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I remember saying the same thing with SOM, shadows of mirkwood, they released something shortly after, dunland or something like that, it was where you had multiple layers and there was such a mess with that. I did not buy  isengaurd, nor will I get ror. In fact my copy of lotro is so old that just for kicks I tried to update the other day since I have a lifetime sub and it gets stuck about 25% into the update, and errors out with can not update files error.

Back before som it was ok but they really went down hill since wb took over.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    Turbine is dumping there money into new projects so that fact that RoR isn't the best expansion ever does not suprise me. Though that is still a matter of opinion and one i can't make. Been a long time since i played LOTRO.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

How did you end up buying it without knowing what was in the expansion?

• UW1975UW1975 Member Posts: 183
    Originally posted by gordiflu

Every expansion has been smaller than the previous one. Were you expecting the trend to change?

In fact it did, as RoR is way bigger than RoI and with far better quality.

It is interesting that most of the people criticizing LOTRO in this thread are not even playing the game anymore.

I find mounted combat a refreshing and interesting feature to develop. Sure it needs some tweakings, but it is a big step in the right direction.

On top of that the new Epic is definitely top-notch, while the music score is at SoA levels. Thumb-up for this expac

PS to OP: You will get the instances for free, so cheer up...

• GaborikGaborik Member Posts: 251

Riders of Rohan what a waste of money, no new instances, take away mounted combat which is very laggy/buggy not smooth at all and you have nothing for the price of £30.Im sure somewhere i saw it get an award for the best expansion of 2012 if this was the case then we are being lied too.

Its very clear this is poster has no knowledge of what he is talking about. I would bet he doesnt even have a level at 75 to explore what is great about RoR. As for the instances they are coming in the next couple months. If you followed or playef LOTRO you would know this minor detail. Mounted combat does take a little getting used too, but if you put some time into it instead of expecting it to be handed to you and easy you will see how fun it is. I understand you dont want to mention the great things about ROR so i will give you a few...1.The best story in MMOs continues 2. The size of ROR and how amazing it looks. 3. The mounted combat is a huge plus and a lot of fun. 4. The new tagging system for mobs. 5 The new looting system if you want more examples feel free to ask or better yet try and play the game
    Thanks
  • pwainpwain Member UncommonPosts: 115

I startet with RoR this week. I played with my wife and we both think, after playing star wars and guild wars 2, lotro feels old. It funny to follow the story quests and the mount is nice. But the world, the interface and the quests are just boring.

I play it until I finish the story quest and then I go back to GW2

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Originally posted by gordiflu

In fact, Rohan is the largest expansion to Lotro to date, exceeding twice the size of Moria.

I didn't like the way Lotro was heading last few years, but Rohan is a turn of 180 degrees. War-steeds opens up great new possibilities and the mounted combat itself works extremely well despite my initial concerns.

REALITY CHECK

• TyserieTyserie Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Originally posted by pwain

I startet with RoR this week. I played with my wife and we both think, after playing star wars and guild wars 2, lotro feels old. It funny to follow the story quests and the mount is nice. But the world, the interface and the quests are just boring.

Mate, sure it's feel old, because, it's old game, but, is so good. Honestly, my opinion is, that there isn't other game (maybe wow) where is so much things to do. You can have max lvl and you will still have som much to do. You are never done in LOTRO. 

SWTOR is biggest fail ever. Sure there are ppl who like it, but in global, it's one big fail. I did stop play on lvl 40 and never came back.

GW2 is good game. But pesonally I starting to be little bit borred after some time what I hit lvl 80. And alos the problem with farmers and AH prices, also the dungs are little bit chaotic sometimes. But yes, it's good game, but, they should come with some new expansion fast :):)

LOTRO is for me the best MMORPG I've played. I personally see too that the engine is old, but still, the content and also the music (atmosphere) is so superb. With modern engine, LOTRO is ultimate game for me. I din't see so much content in another game.

Big problem is, that devs are pushed, or maybe want to open all games for "CROWD" and that's the biggest problem of gaming of this times. The "CROWD" is always more stupid then smart a and that means, they have to do adjusting in difficulty and game mechanisms let the stupid ppl feel they are smart and give them same chances like to old experienced players who plays since they were 15 age old and now are 30 - 40 age old and so on. I mean ppl who moan after one week in game that they haven't max lvl or huge expensive house. This ppl are destroying all the good from old school.

My friend told me, that you can use some scrolls in LOTRO to be from lvl 75 to 85 in one day maybe. What is sence of this?? Waste all the devs work in on day and them cry about another content? Don't understand this.

I did play probably every well known  MMORPG I and till now, I am always comming back to LOTRO, cause I still didn't finish so many things there. I hope one day will come something good like LOTOR in new graphic, but till now, there is no such game.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

What worries me a bit in RoR's launch, is not the content (which I think is fine), but the price increase in the store. Don't get me wrong, I already got the bags and I like to get my virtues in-game, it worries me as a trend.

So far the prices mostly stayed at level or got lower (and not only at Turbine, other game's cash-shop  as well), which is reasonable: after the playerbase bought the one-time purchases/unlocks, the demand drops - meaning sales (at -20% - 50%) and later a price drop. Add to that that these are virtual goods, with no storage/logistic costs, etc.

Since Turbine was who gave a big push to the whole f2p/freemium trend with the successful conversion of DDO and later LotRO, I wonder SOE or PWE (or others) will also start to raise prices? PWE just converted C-points to Zen, and they were cautious not to increase them during the process. (and they're the most moneygrubbing, pay-to-win chinese company - at least according to the forums here :) )  So, if Turbine raises, will they follow? I'm curious...

Ok, I'm not completely fair, as Sapience said, only 16% of the items got a raise. Lol.

"Also, over 2200 items in the LOTRO Store were adjusted. About 16% of those saw a price increase of some amount.
    The other 84% either saw no change in price, an increase in stack size, or a drop in price
    "

Gaborik - I do play Lotro and am very dissapointed and have a high level character. The really hard bosses in the mounted combat, one kites whilst the other kills it is getting old and boring, i killed a mob with an insane amount of health and i was the only one hitting it. you can take on 3 normal mobs same level as you and kill them easily, the mobs are just too easy to kill which ruins the game somewhat.
    I was also not told about the instances at point of sale which means Turbine is obtaining money by deceipt - which is illegal
  • GaborikGaborik Member Posts: 251

I was also not told about the instances at point of sale which means Turbine is obtaining money by deceipt - which is illegal

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?464108-A-word-about-the-Riders-of-Rohan-Pre-Purchase-packs.

Read that, again if you were an active member of lotro you would have known this. The only one who has any deceipt is you by posting false claims about a game.
  • mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311

Isnt this the regular "Waa waaa. Why dosent the game give me the same rush as my first mmo! waa". 

I for one are playing lotro quite casual and will hit ROR when next xpac is out. But what I know is that many seems to have a blast. They are for sure the ones that enjoy the game... and I do see that the op is not one of them. 

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    I pretty much stopped playing when they added in the cash shop mannequins to the towns.  I've hated the cash shop since it was introduced, but that was the last nail for me.

You make me like charity

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Gaborik

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?464108-A-word-about-the-Riders-of-Rohan-Pre-Purchase-packs. Read that, again if you were an active member of lotro you would have known this. The only one who has any deceipt is you by posting false claims about a game.

Or here on MMORPG.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/354105/Turbine-threatens-to-ban-players-for-pursuing-refunds-of-their-new-expansion.html

• ThenextbigthingThenextbigthing Member Posts: 104

That doesn't sound like the game i'm playing. Are you sure it's lotro you're playing?

• ThenextbigthingThenextbigthing Member Posts: 104

In my opinion Lotro continues to be a great game with a great community, especially on Laurelin, RoR has added more depth and Turbine keep developing the game all the time. I play mmorpgs for immersion in the game world and Lotro has that for me. Am I a fanboy? Maybe, but i'm also someone who can see quality in a game after 30 years of PC gaming.

Yes Lotro is easy to play, that's it's biggest fault maybe, but that's a reaction to the trend in mmorpgs towards solo and casual gaming in the last few years. In fact apart from EVE I haven't played a game for a long time that wasn't easy to solo, including ToR and TSW, and of course Rift (probably easier than Lotro). If you are playing for a challenge when levelling then I think you've missed the point of lotro (or any mmo these days). There is far more to it than that, plenty that other games lack.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by pwain

After SWTOR LOTRO feels...old?

SWTOR is year(s) behind LOTRO, SWTOR felt very outdated from the box. User interface?

RoR is best LOTOR expansion so far, im pleasantly surprised that Turbine did so well (i have level 85 and am happily rebuilding Hytbold :) )

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Gaborik
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    I pretty much stopped playing when they added in the cash shop mannequins to the towns.  I've hated the cash shop since it was introduced, but that was the last nail for me.

[mod edit]

They lost a player over it.

You make me like charity

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Finally broke down and bought the expac. The war steeds are horrible. Just awful. More legendary crap to have to go after and the controls are the pits. Listen up Turbine...you should have left the controls like they were in the original horses...what were you thinking!? LOTRO still has the best community and I guess I can ignore mounted combat. The game has a bloated feeling in general...everything loads slow as comparfed to Guild Wars 2 and the combat is horrid in comparision to GW2. Trubine, time to start over with Rohan west. Scrap the game and start over with the next expac....trust me you will be better off if you want to have players up to Mordor.