Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Planetside 2 Release: 11-20-2012

BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

off from the SOE LIVE press,

11-20-2012

I have mixed feelings about this release. not sure the game will be ready, but can say its alot more solid compared to other games. 

yes, alot of bug have been fixed, but there are more that need to be squashed.

the meta game,  and performance is another obstacle.

Overall,  Planetside2 have met their base promises - but now the real test is improving the game from november to who knows what.  

what i am concerned about: 

balancing -- alot of things are still being balanced, i wish the community as a whole would throw the devs a bone when it comes to this..  AA too strong, nerf AA..then Air too strong..nerf air.. etc. etc.

territory/frontline battles -- they are much better compared to early beta, but people are expressing that they can be better. there is a huge ongoing debate between lattice vs. hex system,  a debate so long that even smedley himself chimed into the thread. whatever they decide, who knows. but the hex system looks to be staying from what i can tell.

weapons -- this has been a rollercoaster, not going to get into specifics except..... cloaking infiltrators that can use shotguns and 2 shot people while cloaked (its been fixed now, but you get the idea), this part of the game will forever been wrestled with. with what i learned from planetside 1... weapon balancing will never be set in stone..

(unless you NCimagej/k)

What i do like however:

new vehicles on the way (buggies, snow mobiles, snow version of sunderer)

Video of Amerish -- please dont let it be a square map 

Doubling Down on  Player owned Bases --  they seem commited on putting them out into the game, the big plus about it, they are aiming them to be Non-instanced. (sounds good on paper...perhaps end up seeing super alliance owned bases just to personally speculate)

Searhus cont on the way, followed with Oshur and then hossin.

The intergration of Player Studio for planetside2 --  curious to see what the community can make/model for this game design wise,   (balancing/stats however will be handled by SOE)

there will be alot of people that will not like Planetside2, but competition wise,  what else is there?  ww2online?  Firefall? Dust514?  if were lucky,  maybe Tribes Universe if it blips on the radar.

oh and that derek smart game.

Ill just say Planetside2 can perhaps do poorly, but still be profitable and enjoy a reasonable population due to lack of competition (for now)  and the absence of a sub fee.

we'll see,   

well back to playing.

Comments

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

had this one on my radar for quite some time and after seeing tons and tons of Youtube vids it seems its comming at a end :)

Question to players currently playing in the beta:

Zergs - is it like GW2 WvW where the biggest zerg mostly wins ? or is there a buff in place to boost stats once your faction is totaly outnumberd ? or is it more like a battleground where you Queu for a specific map ?

Performance - GW2 currently suffers from a strange bug that when you are at a specific location your fps drops like a turd - mid range or high range systems suffer from this.
    How is that in PS2 ?

Can you compare this to lets say BFBC or BF3 gameplay ? smoothness / ghost shells / ghost shots / massive pings to the server ?

Many thanks in advance sorry to ask you all that shit :)

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    Originally posted by Mothanos

had this one on my radar for quite some time and after seeing tons and tons of Youtube vids it seems its comming at a end :)

Zergs - is it like GW2 WvW where the biggest zerg mostly wins ? or is there a buff in place to boost stats once your faction is totaly outnumberd ? or is it more like a battleground where you Queu for a specific map ?

Performance - GW2 currently suffers from a strange bug that when you are at a specific location your fps drops like a turd - mid range or high range systems suffer from this.
    How is that in PS2 ?

Can you compare this to lets say BFBC or BF3 gameplay ? smoothness / ghost shells / ghost shots / massive pings to the server ?

Zergs - Does size matter? Yes it does but it does depend on the difference in size. Your faction if co-ordinated can take advantage of terrain and air support and access to MAXs. I've been in battles where we used the terrain (Vanu Archives) to hold off a superior force until eventually help arrived.

Generaly a much larger force will take victory in my opinion, but in PS2 re-enforcements can arrive very quickly.

Performance- have had some problems with choppyness though I'm in the UK playing on US East coast, and it is very rare. Nothing close to game breaking however.

This bitchslaps sny instanced shooter in my opinion. It's on a par in smoothness, I haven't had trouble with ghost shots or shells or high server pings.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Performance is my biggest concern, beta loads only low detail textures (common in most games during beta stage), occasionally the mouse refuses to respond for a good 5-10 seconds when loading into a zone, and certain areas chops the FPS and when looking at the map it stutters so bad. When it goes live, the high res textures will be in place, who knows how well it'll play.

And the lag, there are people bouncing and warping around alot, reminds me of high traffic fights in PS1.

• SandricSandric Member UncommonPosts: 103

With the warping from yesterday's patch and today's hotfix doing nothing for it plus the 32 days till release?  I think I am calling it here.  Plus I play VS and I think there has been once, once that VS had more than our % of territory held.  VS always has fewer pop and really has fewer territory held.  I remember the other day we were stuck at 8%, yes 8% of the continent for over 3 hours.   Our pop was about 32 vs 34 and 34.  Plus less than 15% of the weapons have been live on the external servers... not looking good.  If they had 2 months, maybe... but 1.  I am about a week from dropping this and not looking back. 

SOE really tends to bomb games don't they.  PS1 had issues, plus not even gonna talk about SWG and how they made my class the worst ever.  They rarely listen to beta testers, makes me wonder why they bother.

Major or Current Characters
    AC - The Brute lvl 85 macer -HG (retired)
    SWG - Lihone Su'alkn Master Ranger/ MCH - Flurry (Retired)
    EVE - Sulone - Cruiser Lover (Retired)
    LOTRO - Sandric lvl 50 Burg (and others)- Brandywine (Retired)
    GW2 - Sandric lvl 80 Thief - Dragonbrand (Retired)
    NeverWinter - Sandric lvl 60 Rogue - Dragonshard (Retired)
    Archage - Sandric lvl 50 everything - Naima (Active)
    Others (Lots) (Retired)

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by Mothanos

How is that in PS2 ?

Sup, ill answer what i have experienced:

Zerging: yes  Zerging will be in the game and plentiful, but even Zergs need to follow the right gameplan i they want to be victorious,   not to mention have a they should not be COMPLETELY mindless and watch their surroundings..otherwise  this may potentially happen: http://www.twitch.tv/buzzcutpsycho/b/333609451  

Zergs in general, the Big Outfit Kind will have structure and organization.  

however there will be many that will not follow the zerg itself and lone wolf/solo  -- or work with a small outfit/group that specializes in say,  fast response missions.

Performance: i tried two different machines

the first machine, a dual core 2.1 ghz ,running a 9600gt graphics card and 4 gigs of ddr2 ram.. it ran like crap, and with a fps game, thats unacceptable.

i went ahead and built a new machine all together similar to what the SOE devs used.   nvidia 550gts 2gig, intel 3820 i7 (disclaimer: preach to the choir im aware about the i5) 3 gigs of ddr 3 ram windows 7  with 7200 barracuda HD.

the main thing i aimed for was the graphics card, simply due to SOE's alliegance to nvidia and the number of drivers that were put out throughout beta  by nividia.

the game runs very well at medium to high, but on ultra some bugs start to show (people popping in and out of screen when at a very long distance)

PS2 comparison to BF3:  i cant say personally only by word of mouth that the gunplay is close to BF3 than BFBC, as for ghost shots, im assuming you mean this: 

(not a BF3/BFBC picture)

where a person is getting shot and they go to dodge, but still being registered as getting shot? i.e.  people dying around corners??

only thing i can say is that i havent run into situations like this, perhaps thats due to the TTK being fairly fast.  but i can atleast compare it to the first planetside, where the netcode was F-ed up,  having people being able to shoot/kill you while you are shooting them directly at the back of your head, that much i know is no longer the case in PS2.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    I have to admit that this worries me.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• KatlaOdindottirKatlaOdindottir Member Posts: 144
    Originally posted by ignore_me
    I have to admit that this worries me.

Same I honestly can't believe they are launching it already when it is in no state to keep peoples attention more than an hour :S

Will be my side game to DF:UW

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

Awaiting Darkfall Unholy Wars

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

The game is missing:

customization in character creation. It might make the game run smoother by limiting customization but otherwise it would begin to make the game feel more personal to unique heroes in an mmo who normally feel like their own personality with unique looks and name.

Crafting: it's a sand box mmo and the way resources work is dependent on controlling points, but it does not involve crafting and just get items that are gotten from a weapons depot. If there is actual crafting, with a full loot system it can introduce things like currency and a banking system as well. We could also drop currency in the game. Without going into too much detail about crafting it should offer specific rare crit weapons and even some weapons which are rewards from fighting in the environment if there is an epic boss. But also importantly being part of an outfit that protects the transport of goods to their guild castle and it allows crafters to make goods for example.

Also with currency this allows for gambling, and placing bounties on other players. Gambling is a fun mini game that creates more social life in the game, and player bounties fit the theme of a Sand box game.

Npc's. There should npcs that serve a greater purpose and also have an alignment system. Also there should be epic creatures in the world.

Seas, and sea monsters. Underwater resources and warfare as well.

Strange environments that feel and look alien. Maybe encourage exploration as well.

Having goals for solo players that they can use their money for like player housing that might be instanced or non instanced.

Armor customization through crafting and buying schematics. I realize this is a f2p game and a lot should be translated to cash store purchases. And by having character creation it encourages people to buy custom gear as well. But it could affect performance, so that is the problem.

Offer mechanics that imitate maps for fpses in the open world or have instances which are mini games. It gives people an alternative to large battles and practice just on close range battles.

I am not an experienced open world fighter for mmofps so any criticism I have is how it feels slow paced and unorganized without any purpose due to a lack of other mechanics that can make a difference like player housing. However i am not sure that will give the open world enough purpose, and whether it will make fights more concerted to specific goals which they can do with defending transported goods, or just at peak times certain world events occur that bring people to certain location to fight.

also faction stories/ missions. This is why npcs are important for training but also adding some presence of a world other than the elite players fighting over it. And since I mentioned an alignment system I think it also plays on how it affects npcs. This is done before in other games and how players alignment system affects how they interact with others, but more specifically how they interact with other npcs.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396
    Yeah, I want sea monsters too
  • william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by Matticus75

This is a game breaker to me as well.

It's an mmo. It needs those things. It might seem ridiculous to some, but having underwater combat is another element they can introduce in the game down the road.

At one point they will have terrain that will feel done and nothing different can be added and that's when they should include underwater content.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

Originally posted by william0532

This is a game breaker to me as well.

That's your preference but sometimes what you say is gamebrewking is a fun aspect to many.

Normally games have npcs. Do find npcs in a sandbox game that affect the world to be game breaking? Or do you think it adds realism to a lived in world?

• AconsarAconsar Member Posts: 262

The game is not even close to being ready for release in my eyes.  They're constantly changing how the system works for points and it's just getting worse.  The game is entirely a pay-to-win in my eyes, the subscription only gives a passive increase to certification points.

What was wrong with the original PS model where you specialize with certification points that you gained with Battle Rank (levels)?  The subscription allowed you access to everything, you could specialize how you wanted with more diversity as you leveled up.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Too much rubber banding and glitches for me to buy in at this point. I'll wait a year after release then maybe revisit it.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Originally posted by Aconsar

The game is not even close to being ready for release in my eyes.  They're constantly changing how the system works for points and it's just getting worse.  The game is entirely a pay-to-win in my eyes, the subscription only gives a passive increase to certification points. What was wrong with the original PS model where you specialize with certification points that you gained with Battle Rank (levels)?  The subscription allowed you access to everything, you could specialize how you wanted with more diversity as you leveled up.

Probably due to perceiving the market trend and demand for f2p. it's what mmos do now. Not many last with healthy populations and a p2p model.

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375

I was surprised to see Novemeber, i was expecting December due to the alpha squad small print.

The game is shitloads of fun if you like shooters, even in its beta state, it's pretty epic stuff and the full servers(euro) in prime time during beta says i'm not alone. but you do need a good rig currently as its CPU intensive like darkfall was, which made it tough on those with older comps when huge numbers get on screen.

I'd like to see the final build come up for testing soon though, as that has a ton of changes to how things work and if they are good changes, then the games going to be a winner.

I see a lot of "This games pay to win" which is complete bollocks, if your a decent aim then your be blowing people away no  problem as weapons don't do more damage than the standard issue, they just get more situational, so don't listen to those who are probably just upset about losing head to heads.

• naljejanaljeja Member Posts: 94
    so they really set it to same date as DF UW just to what? attempt to steal costumers?
  • BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by naljeja
    so they really set it to same date as DF UW just to what? attempt to steal costumers?

better question being why is this being compared to DF UW when both games have completely different philosophies let alone aiming for two different audiences?

and sea monsters...  frankly i am very impressed that this thread hasnt imploded yet after this point by old Ps1 nostalgia players.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by Incomparable

Probably due to perceiving the market trend and demand for f2p. it's what mmos do now. Not many last with healthy populations and a p2p model.

Sadly that's how it works, the general population is "dumb", why do you think McDonalds is the largest and most successful fast food chain, yet is among the most disgusting food (I've ever eaten). I'd rather P2P for a good game than play a F2P and have to pay $ to be able to advance or keep up with other players aka cash shop, there are some god awful F2P games out there with pay 2 win like the Need for Speed World game. Thankfully GW2 doesn't have a pay 2 win advantage.

But the general population is saying they want a free game where they don't have to pay to play.