Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would You Pay Monthly Subscription Fee For GuildWars 2 ?

Comments

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

What about an option for "I don't play GW2 anymore" and  "I never liked GW2"  You're going to get all sorts of reasons people say no; very valid reasons, but blatantly misleading, as far as a poll like this goes.  You can't just trust that people who don't play the game won't vote, or even want to see the results.

Not to mention the "I want everything to be free" people.. or the "I just want to help discourage the sub model, any way I can" people.

Basically, you're asking people if they want to pay for something they don't currently have to.. even many people who like the game will say no, nevermind the people who don't.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456
    Originally posted by Vhaln

What about an option for "I don't play GW2 anymore" and  "I never liked GW2"  You're going to get all sorts of reasons people say no; very valid reasons, but blatantly misleading, as far as a poll like this goes.  You can't just trust that people who don't play the game won't vote, or even want to see the results.

Not to mention the "I want everything to be free" people.. or the "I just want to help discourage the sub model, any way I can" people.

Basically, you're asking people if they want to pay for something they don't currently have to.. even many people who like the game will say no, nevermind the people who don't.

First post of the thread with some common sense.

I totally agree with your analysis.

About the OP question, I'm gonna answer it in a different way:

IF GW2 had a $15 sub fee (the usually fee most MMORPGs have), would I still play it? Hell, yes, but only if there's no cash shop then, and you don't have to buy your character slots, bank slots and inventory slots.

Am I happy there's no fee, but only a non-pay-to-win cash shop I can use when I want to and I can completely ignore if I want to too? Hell, yes.

TLDR: I'm happy with the current situation, but I would still play the game if it had a sub fee instead of the cash shop.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I voted 'No' since I wont be paying a sub fee for any game anymore, I dont see the point of sub other than milking customers with just a game. If some studio would manage to create a game that is something more, a true interactive virtual world and an experience, instead of just a game, I'll reconsider paying a monthly fee.

Edit: I should propably add that I'm currently playing GW2 and I think it's a great game, my original reply might seems like I have a problem with the game :)

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

I think another question should be, how could GW2 have been different to attract a sub fee? As at the moment your poll has 70% saying they wouldn't pay one. Then again the polls flawed by it's lack of options and open to biased results.

You could argue the games setup for the model it has and I think that has some merit, but the long term success of the game depends on money exchange and I'd suspect people have an upper limit for that.

Then again some f2p games do fine with a hardcore bunch sinking a lot of money into a cash shop, an attitude I've never really understood to be honest.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Jakard
    No way. I own the game and even withotu subscription fees I don't play the game.

This will be the next poll "Would you play GW2 if it was f2p.?"

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
      No I wouldnt but im a ADD gamer I hardly ever stay more than a month....Hmm actually I voted falsely.  If GW2 asked for a sub I probablly would have paid it..but not concurently... maybe 5 6 months from now..I would sub and play for a month cancel before the months out go play other games...6 or so months later play another month.  Ths is how I am with all games bouncing from game to game to game

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    I don't see any current or upcoming MMO deserving of a subscription fee. I just don't feel it's justified that they will essentially take the game away from me unless i cough up more dough, anymore.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    I might pay a small fee for superior customer support and extra services  in and out of game, say $4.99 a month or less , but not full freight fees unless they delivered something of extraordinary value.  (like an automatic I win button in PVP or something) image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Would I pay a monthly sub for GW2? Might as well as if I'd pay a monthly sub to breathe. The whole concept is ridiculous because, from the very first hints about GW2, we've always known it was going to be buy to play. So, I would if I had to, like I'd pay to breathe if I had to, but the question is ridiculous. There are no monthly fees in GW2, therefore pondering whether or not I'd pay a fee that doesn't and won't exist makes no sense.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

The lack of subscription fee lowered the quality requirements of the game overall in the eyes of their customers. I don't think that a subscription game would get away with such a huge bot/hacker issue along with chat and mail/AH problems at launch, quests not working, events not working etc.

Anet is getting a free pass because people don't pay a subscription while they wait for the developers to fix the broken stuff. Otherwise, we'd be talking for a worse than AoC launch (and disaster), bug wise.

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Originally posted by kaiser3282
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer

It'd be the first single player game of history with a sub.

It's fun to play it through once and try out some classes and WvWvW, but to me it's not worth a sub.

[mod edit]

Calling it a single player game while also mentioning WvWvW (which consists almost entirely of fighting OTHER PEOPLE). I really cant think of any better words to describe this than: Epic Fail.

[mod edit]

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384

I actually would pay a sub for this game, there's just nothing as good in the market. Even with its bugs hackers and bots it's still much better than most things out there and it's the only game I've been hooked in a long time. I thought I was done with games for good if this one didn't grab my attention, but it did quite well.

Of course this is just my opinion.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

Originally posted by xposeidon

I actually would pay a sub for this game, there's just nothing as good in the market. Even with its bugs hackers and bots it's still much better than most things out there and it's the only game I've been hooked in a long time. I thought I was done with games for good if this one didn't grab my attention, but it did quite well.

Would you also pay a fee if they kept the cash shop in addition to it? (see my previous post)

Pretty much why this poll is incomplete and therefore quite useless, there should be a "yes, but only if there was no cash shop" option too.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

It'd be the first single player game of history with a sub.

It's fun to play it through once and try out some classes and WvWvW, but to me it's not worth a sub.

And people wonder why we pick on the ridiculous trolls...

Calling it a single player game while also mentioning WvWvW (which consists almost entirely of fighting OTHER PEOPLE). I really cant think of any better words to describe this than: Epic Fail.

And Mass Effect 3 has a multiplayer side mode, but it's a Single Player game. Just like GW2 is for me. It's my opinion, not yours, and your passive agressive tone just got you reported.

Your choosing to play it solo in a world full of people does not make it a single player game. Hate to break that to you.

You may also want to freshen up a bit on the rules though if youre going to go around reporting people because you dont like being told the truth and getting called out for doing what you know you were doing:

Game Attacks

Unsubstantiated comments about specific or general games will be penalized in nearly the same way attacks against people will. The exception is that you can say mean things about games provided you back it up with reasons.

So grats on reporting yourself as well in the process of reporting me.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by crosslee

Simple question/poll for the masses mostly because im bored atm and want to see peoples opinions and reactions.

In a parallel universe where GuildWars2 isn't a buy2play but a traditional subscription based game.

Would you pay the traditional $14.99 monthly subscription fee to play GuildWars2?

No.

would you drop your current subscription based game if you currently play one?

No.

subscribe to both games at the same time?

No.

If it had been subscription based I would have been ballistic right now.

• Rhianni32Rhianni32 Member Posts: 222

I would pay a monthly fee.

EDIT: I would be ok with a cash shop giving cosmetic items (pets, skins, convienence items) but not mystic forge items, extra bank slots, extra character slots.

That said... GW2 has made it so I now never want to go back to a subscription MMO again.

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Would you also pay a fee if they kept the cash shop in addition to it? (see my previous post)

Pretty much why this poll is incomplete and therefore quite useless, there should be a "yes, but only if there was no cash shop" option too.

Indeed incomplete, even though I would still pay I see why most people wouldn't in this case.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Indeed incomplete, even though I would still pay I see why most people wouldn't in this case.

Well, to me, even though I love the game (as you must know from reading me here), the actual cash shop (where you have to buy characters slots, bank slots, inventory slots, keys, forge stones, transmute stones...) added to a sub fee would be "too much". Now if you remove those elements and make a 100% cosmetic cash shop, like e.g. in WoW, then I'd have no problem with it.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172

not a chance.. GW2 is designed for short term, on and off play.. it really isnt designed for lasting play in my opinion. i'd gladly pay for a game that is designed to allow for real account growth and development. But GW2 is really just a casual diversion for farming Dyes and shinies. i barely have enough motivation to get online twice a week now.. woulld never pay for this. feels like a multiplayer Oblivion to me.

seriously, their claimed "endgame" is one of the biggest grind's ive ever seen. i cant handle GW2 in more than brief stints. maybe 2-3 hrs at a time, twice or so a week. if i found the exp mode dungeons more challenging and more interesting and less "wtf" then maybe. but as it is now, there is zero reason for teamplay in a PVE guild. yes for WvW but for PVE? nah.

i just dont feel any real "attachment" or devotion to my characters or account. i enjoyed seeing the zones because they are beautiful but the game feels sooooo small after youre done with map completion. after you hit 80, its mostly just teleporting straight to dungeons allllll night long. well, thats if you want a Legendary which is Anets biggest draw for PVE "endgame"

One thing I find interesting with subscription talk....

$15/month has been the standard for what 10 years now at least? Thats what I was paying with DAOC when it came out. It never goes up for inflation or as the quality of games has improved. For whatever reason we as a gaming community are still having a problem to this day justifying paying this as a monthly fee even though we get updates and content patches that require. I would cringe at the backlash if any even tried to go $17.50 a month.

For whatever reason some feel that buying the game once should cover the developement of the game, and maintain the servers, and pay for the security team working on the bot problem, and new content on a regular basis... for years into the future.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Rimmersman
    Originally posted by korent1991
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    should of added a third option that said "I wouldn't pay a sub fee for any themepark MMO"

Ah, but many people would, their are themeparks and then their is GW2 which is not worth a sub.

which is your opinion. For me, not any single themepark nowadays is worth a sub and I wouldn't give a penny for that scam.

It's not my opinion it's a fact, check WOW,EQ2, RIFT, LOTRO and AOC if you think it's just my opinion. Some of those games i mention are F2P but also have people paying subs.

Contrary to what the the faithful think, sub are far from dead.

Not to mention Anarchy Online, EVE, DAOC, Ryzom, all still have Subs. And there is a game my kids play. Wizard101. That's a sub game and it's bigger than you think.

most of these are still around and more or less have niche players who pay.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/show/all/sCol/monthlyFee/sOrder/desc

All you people who say "I'm done with subs" I say, all it will take is one mind blowingly awsome MMO to grace the scene and you'll be back. 

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Originally posted by kaiser3282  *snip*

Do as you will. I am not here to argue or insult others just because they think diferently than I. Now you are also blocked.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    No, in some part its due to their design choice really not promoting long time play. Even with those improvements though, I just really wouldn't be willing to pay.
    Originally posted by korent1991
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    should of added a third option that said "I wouldn't pay a sub fee for any themepark MMO"

Ah, but many people would, their are themeparks and then their is GW2 which is not worth a sub.

which is your opinion. For me, not any single themepark nowadays is worth a sub and I wouldn't give a penny for that scam.

It's not my opinion it's a fact, check WOW,EQ2, RIFT, LOTRO and AOC if you think it's just my opinion. Some of those games i mention are F2P but also have people paying subs.

Contrary to what the the faithful think, sub are far from dead.

What a person finds is a value for their money is an opinion. Who cares what many people would do, this is a poll for what each person is willing and wanting to do. 

The only fact I see here is that you can't read.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Not to mention Anarchy Online, EVE, DAOC, Ryzom, all still have Subs. And there is a game my kids play. Wizard101. That's a sub game and it's bigger than you think.

most of these are still around and more or less have niche players who pay.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/show/all/sCol/monthlyFee/sOrder/desc

All you people who say "I'm done with subs" I say, all it will take is one mind blowingly awsome MMO to grace the scene and you'll be back. 

I think you're missing the point, Geez. Those of us who are done with subs are saying so because there's one mind blowingly awesome MMO gracing the scene now that requires no sub. GW2 is the reason subs are dead to many of us.

Oderint, dum metuant.