Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RYL: Path of the Emperor: MMORPG.com Review

Comments

• GrindalyxGrindalyx Member UncommonPosts: 657

For the record, I played this game in open beta during it's last week. Game seemed okay. So I payed for  Pay two Play. After a month and a half of screeming for a party in town over half the time i played got so annoying i was beginning to hate the game. I posted on the Official RYL forums on how i felt and then in game people were harrassing me about how i down talked the game and still played. I eventually talked to one person who told me that i needed to be in a guild to find a party. So i started another caracter so I could play in peace and not here about how i still played and bad mouthed the game. I figured okay I will give the game another shot.

So at lvl 35 I found a guild with my new caracter. But since the guild was GP as was my caracter i couldn't find a party. So after long hours of grinding my lvl to 55 I decided to go KR until i could lvl with my GP guild. Things went okay. Was still a grind just alittle faster.

Everyday people were griping about the upgrading system and how the blacksmith was a crook just there to take all your hard earned metals and make your items weaker. I myself was getting frustrated again. But this time around i had a goal of being able to rejoin my guild. So i stuck it out.

Each new patch pissed more people off than pleased. And brought more bugs to the game to add to the already long list of bugs being worked on. Alot of people were now griping on the forums like i did with my first caracter. I finally was able to rejoin my guild and I was happy no more shouting for parties and lvling was still a grind fest. The quests were okay for the 'go find so and so and kill this monster this many times to get this # of items and bring back to so and so' .

The last straw for me was when yuxiland up and decided that they were removing GP. They didn't want to deal with the problem of people switching nations so they took the easy route and removed GP from the game. This showed me how important the story line was to them. They removed the center piece to there story line. Now the almighty ground our starting point would have no meaning. They up and decided to make a beta move almost 9 months into Pay two Play. Now my guild would be disbanded and over half of them i would be natural enemies with. I spent 6 months on ventrillo with them forming friendships and lvling. I know some say it is a game, which is true but i don't expect anyone to understand how i feel.

So i left this game, I could of played a caracter race i didnt like, i even tried it and decided i had enough. I wasn't going to play this game that way were i was forced to play it the way i didnt want too.I was fed up. Go ahead and pick my post apart, call me a whiner, point out how i don't know what i am talking about, even though I played this game for close to 8 months and had a lvl 83 warrior and pvp'd on dark caernovon everyday with my guild valhalla. Yes the dreaded valhalla, i was a proud member of them. This game is unfinished and they expect people to pay to play it while they finish it if they ever do.

imageimage

• MalicusMalicus Member Posts: 307

Originally posted by Grindalyx

I posted on the Official RYL forums on how i felt and then in game people were harrassing me about how i down talked the game and still played.  So i started another caracter so I could play in peace and not here about how i still played and bad mouthed the game. I figured okay I will give the game another shot.

I believe in fact that the horrible community is an deliberate effort by PWG to rid themselves of players with any sort of expectations. They reward and encourage harrassment and griefing to drive anyone with technical issues or legitamate complaints form the game. In short they grow a immature braindead community of griefers because they are inable to fix any of the vast amount of flaws in this game...in fact they reward the worst of them with GM and Guide positions. Truly pathetic
  • payn69payn69 Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by Malicus
    Originally posted by Grindalyx
    I posted on the Official RYL forums on how i felt and then in game people were harrassing me about how i down talked the game and still played. So i started another caracter so I could play in peace and not here about how i still played and bad mouthed the game. I figured okay I will give the game another shot.
    I believe in fact that the horrible community is an deliberate effort by PWG to rid themselves of players with any sort of expectations. They reward and encourage harrassment and griefing to drive anyone with technical issues or legitamate complaints form the game. In short they grow a immature braindead community of griefers because they are inable to fix any of the vast amount of flaws in this game...in fact they reward the worst of them with GM and Guide positions. Truly pathetic

Now this I can't disagree with you. After Freebs, Monk, me, Shuggy, and a few others in that round of GM naming(s), The whole idea of a respectful GM was thrown out the window. The next round and the ones after became increasingly as a joke. Bullseye was ok, but I can't speak for the rest! As for the guides, that was Emmerdale's responsibility after my close freind Cargh had left fo personal reasons. Emmerdale tried his best and did some screening processes to make sure he found the right mix of guides but the list was getting short and he needed guides in a hurry, so his hands were tied! the bunch of guides I found for him didn;t want to be a part of the staff any longer and retired from RYL:pote. The bottom line is when you have a community you have politics, and when you have politics things get pretty tricky to say the least. If you are not careful, you can get caught up into the politics and find yourself in a pretty big pile of **** if yoiu know what I mean!

• pirrgpirrg Member Posts: 1,443

Vicious truly lives up to his name. Vicously attacking anyone that dislikes the game you play with fanatic devotion.

It seems no matter how crappy a game is, there will always be some degenerate fanboying it.

The review was dead on, period.

• payn69payn69 Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by pirrg
    Vicious truly lives up to his name. Vicously attacking anyone that dislikes the game you play with fanatic devotion.It seems no matter how crappy a game is, there will always be some degenerate fanboying it. The review was dead on, period.

He has been a long term devoted member of RYL. I don't remember him being a fan of PwG but I know he has had some negative posts in the past towards the staff and how things are goin. But as it is, most devoted fans of RYL has been on either side of the line at one point or another!

• theanimedudetheanimedude Member UncommonPosts: 1,610

Vicious truly lives up to his name. Vicously attacking anyone that dislikes the game you play with fanatic devotion.It seems no matter how crappy a game is, there will always be some degenerate fanboying it. The review was dead on, period.

Can you say moronic closed minded child? Wow.

Frankly, the review had flaws, and those of you who said "ooh, bring proof of the flaws you state" we have, so stuff it. The game is not good overall, and I agree that the game is pretty much crap, but an unfair review is still worth speaking up about.

If some reviewer said "Wow, world of warcraft had the worst PvE ever", someone would speak up. Unfair is unfair, stop being such children and face the facts.

Originally posted by theanimedude

Can you say moronic closed minded child? Wow.

Frankly, the review had flaws, and those of you who said "ooh, bring proof of the flaws you state" we have, so stuff it. The game is not good overall, and I agree that the game is pretty much crap, but an unfair review is still worth speaking up about.

If some reviewer said "Wow, world of warcraft had the worst PvE ever", someone would speak up. Unfair is unfair, stop being such children and face the facts.

See, if a reviewer stated that WoW sucks, it would be comparatively speaking. Since all mmorpgs are compared with one and other, and since WoW arguably has the best PvE system out there right now. That statement would be flawed and thus the review would be inaccurate.

On the other hand, whoever reviewed RYL brought up a plethora of arguments to support his statements. He has me convinced no matter how many vague counter arguments you fanboys will spew forth. RYL stinks, period.

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

See, if a reviewer stated that WoW sucks, it would be comparatively speaking. Since all mmorpgs are compared with one and other, and since WoW arguably has the best PvE system out there right now. That statement would be flawed and thus the review would be inaccurate.
    On the other hand, whoever reviewed RYL brought up a plethora of arguments to support his statements. He has me convinced no matter how many vague counter arguments you fanboys will spew forth. RYL stinks, period.

Does the media control your life? I think RYL has some kind of trial, go try it. I'm not a fan boy of that game but I do know from what is right, opinated and wrong.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• Jenny2Jenny2 Member Posts: 37

RYL has the most devoted group of hateboys of any game out there.  Well, they're mostly just Malicus and his aliases and friends, if he has any.

He didn't get some free junk he thought he won almost a year ago, and in his little world, that's a big deal, so now he's made it his life's mission to dis RYL.

Didn't you know your arch enemy Slappy was fired last summer Malicus?

No one there remembers you anymore, Malicus, and they certainly don't care, lol.

For those of you who make your own decisions and don't listen to fanboys or hateboys, here's the download link: http://forums.ryl.net/downloads/ryl_v1412_install_usa.exe  Don't enter a cd key or credit card info to start the 14-day trial.

• HaughtsmHaughtsm Member Posts: 3

This game definitely has it's problems, BUT there were several glaring falsities in your review. Simply because they were easily garnered knowledge to anyone who made it to level 40. Also, it seems you didn't base this review on the date you suppoedly wrote it, Sept. 30, as I can see additional errors in some other things.

1. The tournament was never cancelled. Only postponed to deal with security issues.image

2. The community on the tournament server was bad indeed. Of course it was an "every man for himself" enviroment for a one million dollar prize. That alone tends to bring out the absolute worst in people. It's clear from your review that this is the server you chose to test as your review clearly mirrors that environment and NOT the regular live servers. The communities on those servers are very helpful, and while trash talking between enemy guilds does occur, it's nothing like what you describe. Tournament servers should never be played for the purposes of review. image

3. The level requirement for the guilding feature is an addition made in order to help keep lower level players from crying fowl if they are killed by higher level enemy guilds. I concur with you however that this requirement shouldn't exist. image

4. The level requirement for FUSING items is level 20. Again, I personally see no reson to limit it, but that's the true requirement versus the level 30 mistake you made.

5. The level requirement for UPGRADING items is level 40. Again, I can tell you never made it to this level as you truely gloss over this except to say there are different grades for items.

6. There are a few different means of PVP in this game. One is 1v1 Dueling. That requires you to request or accept a duel. The next is team dueling requiring the same method. The final is simply normal PVP. Anyone guilded that has enemy guilds can fight each other outside the safe zone of the starting town. Anyone of opposite race automatically become enemies on the second and third maps. Regardless of guild status. With exception to allied guilds of the oposite race.

7. It is important to note that the God's Pirate nation is being removed. Also the ability of oposite nationality guilds to ally is being removed. This will allow for a clear division line in enemy and friendlies. You are not the first to notice this inconsistancy. Originally it was a pure race war game, and is being turned back into the clear race war it once was.

8. This game is clearly NOT for anyone wanting to play very little and have much enjoyment. IT caters to diehard gamers who can devote almost unlimited time. At one time I fell into that category, but now I only help test patches as I can't devote the time needed and tend to get bored playing catchup with everyone else.image

I'm not trying to sway anyone one way or another. Reviews should always be taken with a grain of salt, as I myself have disagreed with MANY of this sites reviews of games. One person's hate is another's passion. The controls are not nearly as difficult as you portray them, and I encourage anyone to decide for themselves if this is the game for them. I will say that when you get to level 70+ the PVP is unmatched by ANY OTHER GAME. It's extremely intense, calculated, and fast paced. The graphics are also not as bad as portrayed in this review.image

I hope this clear's up some confusion, and quells some of this hatemnger vs. fanboy forum battle.image

• HaughtsmHaughtsm Member Posts: 3

Browser error.

• NerocellNerocell Member Posts: 27
    You guys that did your Review didnt give the game any time at all... The lvl difference problems were fixed with the interduction of rings and necklaces... on top of which Duels DO NOT GIVE FAME.   The game doesent get better untill lvl 75+ for guild battles...  Give this game 6 months and i assure you that you will reverce your review.... hell... at this point i would let you use my lvl 80 sorcerer for a few hours if it ment giving you a taste of what the game is really like
  • JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

Originally posted by Nerocell
    (...)Give this game 6 months and i assure you that you will reverce your review.... hell... at this point i would let you use my lvl 80 sorcerer for a few hours if it ment giving you a taste of what the game is really like

....The game gets fun after 6 MONTHS?! Yah I think thats a gigantic flaw (even FFXI was at least fun before the giant xp grind started).

Also fame farming killed the 1m$ competition so that cannot be denied by anyone (also check the month(s) old threads in RYL sub-forum to see that it was a problem long before the competition started).

Also: Killing the same monsters over & over for xp is not hardcore, its just plain stupid game design.

Originally posted by JelloB2000
    Originally posted by Nerocell
    (...)Give this game 6 months and i assure you that you will reverce your review.... hell... at this point i would let you use my lvl 80 sorcerer for a few hours if it ment giving you a taste of what the game is really like

....The game gets fun after 6 MONTHS?! Yah I think thats a gigantic flaw (even FFXI was at least fun before the giant xp grind started).

Also fame farming killed the 1m$ competition so that cannot be denied by anyone (also check the month(s) old threads in RYL sub-forum to see that it was a problem long before the competition started).

Also: Killing the same monsters over & over for xp is not hardcore, its just plain stupid game design.

What he said.

• NerocellNerocell Member Posts: 27

I am bound to not bein able to say anything but after the next patch game will be ALOT better... 6 months down the road will give them time to work out any left over bugs and start adding more of the content....

• bigrob121bigrob121 Member Posts: 11

i disagree with the supposed "downside" of the surveys for free gaming, name one game that you absolutely love that doesnt have fine print....  i beta tested ryl and loved it, and to say that its a "sleazy" telemarketing deal for the survey is a blind statement, say you make 10 dollars an hour, (which is an overestimate for alot of peoples hourly wage) is that 1 hour of hard work a better deal than sitting in your nice padded computer chair for 10 minutes to fill out a survey? i think not!

• jasonhengjasonheng Member Posts: 4

i have spend nearly half an hour gone through the post. below is just my little openion:

just feel that there is some different thinking between western game play concept and eastern game play concept.

Western game play are more fun oriented, they expect the game give immediate fun and excitement. they don't like repeated action like robot doing a same thing again and again. They expect the game give them 'fun' instead of 'hardship'; they expect a good sevice in return when they paid for it.

Eastern game play are more 'Hard work' oriented, they need to spend time and affort to 'build up' their 'ROLE'. They willing to doing same thing again and again in order to achieve the final 'GOAL'. The motivation is to become 'The One' that outstanding from the other, even they need to face the toughest physical and mental strees. They willing to spend money by doing so.

regarding the review, RYL indeed have some problem in-game, their economy is not balance, in-game ppl are ****, the community are ****. but, infact, it reflect our real life, real world. the game is cruel, u need to be smart in order to stay alive, as it called RISK YOUR LIFE.

The actual spirit of the game is to train the character  to be the toughest character, and slay the opponent without mercy. and not much ppl can do so by training their character to lvl 80++ and hunt and get hunted at map3 (i'm not sure map3 still there or not).

regarding control, if u r from counter strike, u will find the game control is lovely.

regarding graphics, it need a proper 'compatible' hardware in order to working properly.

regarding sound, this is the weakest part of the the game, i wonder why it get better score then other.

P/S: i'm from Malaysia, and went through RYL 1 taiwan, RYL1 Malaysia, RYL2 US, RYL2 Malaysia, RYL2 Taiwan.

above is just my personal openion. feel free to comment.

• RhavenRhaven Member Posts: 1
    Lol, this game is all about pvp. the reason you can't guild under 30 is because any opposong race who is also guilded can drop you on the spot anywhere outside of town. But you would know that if you ever got to lvl 30 (which takes about 3 hours) which obviously you never did  with how little you seem to know about the game. Also... why would you want to spend the money and the resources to upgrade a 60 dex piece of armor when you are going to out grow it in 4 lvls, which you can do in about 20 minutes at that low of a lvl. Maybe they did things for a reason Jerk, maybe these reasons would have been revealed to you if you spent more then an hour playing the game. I have lost all respect in your reviews I will never base my mmorpg purchases on what you have to say(which i have done in the past), because obviously you do very little research into the games you review.
    jason i dont see where u got the impression that western gamers want "instant action" but hell why not?  why would you want to go spend your hard earned money on a game where you have to sit and hunt monsters for 80 straight hours to "unlock" the real gameplay of a game, if thats a good gamestyle to eastern gamers, boy are you guys getting screwed, i dont see why lower level characters shouldnt beable to have fun...makes no sense to me, isnt the whole point of a GAME is to have FUN

hi bigrob, you have point out why the reviewer is giving such a low rate for RYL. never denial that the gamers shall enjoy the game when the paid the hard earn money out. However, due to different  culture, the game style that carry out might different from one and others.  Eastern game play spirit are based on the hardship giving out by the gamer. They recognize the enjoyment when achive the targeted level, and ready to battle and stand out among the "casual" player.

in the easterm mindset: One will not appreciate things that come to them easily, One will recognize and hold with precious things that come from thier sweat and hardship.

P/S: u can take a look in game like : Ragnarok, MU, and etc. they all require gamers to spend thier precious time, money and effort.

ya, well i dont know of any mmorpg that doesnt make you play for hours to gain high level/skills...ryl makes u spend lots of time=P, but i dont see why lower levels should suffer, they should beable to enjoy the game too... (but making better options available to them as they get higher in level)

(off topic)  someone was dogging the controls/attacking style of ryl, i actually preferred it more than most games that consist of u going into attack mode and standing next to your opponent untill they die...(btw nobody will beat UO pvp=P)

Agree, IMO, maybe the games have intention to make gamers enjoy the 'beautiful' in game world before insanely rush to PVP. image

frankly, not much people will care about the game world when come to PVP, all they see is the opponent in front of them only.image

• nimloth32nimloth32 Member Posts: 5

i had to totally agree with the review. The whole RYL series was bad. It emphasis more on grinding and grinding only. Besides that, i also agree with the review about the community. Most of them stared at you stupidly when you are asking from them for help. In addition, i had to add something, the races are too imbalance. Ak'kan is always too strong for human in all RYL series. This can be easily observed when both factions, when comes into battle with equal number, the human is usually a loser unless there are some miracles.

• nimloth32nimloth32 Member Posts: 5

i think there are a lot more better mmorpg than ryl out there like WoW. For me, if i have the same amount of time to play WoW (or guild wars) and ryl. I would a lot prefer both of the previous rather than the latter.