Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

pure pay to win game

banshe13banshe13 Member CommonPosts: 200

I  downloaded the game  around 30 hours ago

making to pirate had more options then I was thinking it would have for what the game is i would give it a 8/10

combat is fun but has so big flaws   like when I block off a pathway to lead them in to a trap or the way I want them to go. But they just act like that path is not blocked by anything and go past it insted of being forced to brake down the blockage or going around the other way.

Ships from what I can tell  so far are pay tons of ingame gold for ships not as good as the crowns shop ships or pay crows and buy a good ship. The best ships cost  around $15.00 US   not includeing all the ship gear I did the calulation and it cost about $45.00 to get the best ship and ship gear.    Not to spoil anything story wise you will get a 2ed ship given to you as to what kind im not sure im locked out at lvl 8.

NPC allys are vary slowly  unlocked after the start or pay $10.00 for the best ones so far.   -- oct 19th update since my sub with every thing unlocked NPC allys have  started to pick up I have gotten 3 more. 

ship combat    well id give it a 2/10 not vary fun need some work but it's still early

As of only lvl 8 near 9 I have been locked out of all other quest and areas  unless I pay a sub or spend tons of crowns I cant even do the 2ed half of chapter 1

I will give the post some up dates as I go since in a few hours I will be paying a sub after i put some cash in my bank.

I would say I am well was till lvl 8 having fun but this game is is not a F2P game past lvl 8 at that point it's a rich mans B2P game or a sub game .

Comments

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

if this is like their wizard 101 then yes its a heavy payshop. wizard had whole map zones locked without a subscription or something.  but seeing as most of these 101 games are geared for the younger crowd (perhaps not heavy gamer/mmoers) the content is ok..

i havent tried this as wizard turned me off from this company's game goals. if you want a natical sailing game, there are other more graphicly appleasing ones out there. that are free to play (a few are slightly cashshop heavy though)

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Pirate101 is a subscription based MMO with heavy cash shop influence and flexible payment systems. The cash shop is in no way needed to enjoy the game but you will have to unlock with money to advance past a certain point. It is a greedy moneygrab game which has a foot in both camps, subscription based and F2P/Cash shop

Coming from Wizard101 this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. It is a very good game so they are bound to have great success with this title as well

Both fans of F2P and haters of cash shops should be advised. Your F2P portion is very limited and the cash shop is very dominant while requiring you to unlock areas permanently through one time fees or a time limited unlock through monthly payments.

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

1)  Pirate101 is not "pay to win".  Why?  Because there's nothing you can't accomplish in the game through gear, ships and companions you acquire normally through the course of playing.  Can you get companions earlier?  Yes, but they'll never be higher level than you are and you need to unlock them through play.  Can you buy cool, strong sparkly gear?  Yes, but you can also find gear that's just as good, albeit not as cool looking, through normal game play, quests and even mini-games.  I happen to be good at one of the mini-games, so I often play to farm some nice items for both my characters and my ships.

2)  Pirate101 is not a true F2P game.  I love the game, but I take exception to their marketing.  Being able to play a starting zone for free forever does not make a game F2P, IMO.  When Wizard101 was first introduced, it wasn't marketed as F2P, but as a game with a neverending free trial.  That marketing changed over time and I personally feel it's misleading through semantic arguments.  To KingsIsle's credit, they do have hyperlinks on their websites that explain exactly what's free and what's not, however. One would actually have to read them in order to understand that, however.

That being said, the revenue model is a clever hybrid between a subscription and an affordable cash shop for unlocking content.  Is it "greedy"?  No.  How can it be?  You aren't forced to subscribe AND use crowns in order to unlock content.  You're given the choice of one vs. the other in order to unlock content. The only argument I can see regarding greed would be that you have a cash shop in addition to a subscription, but even then the items you purchase aren't necessary.   Regardless, this is a game that requires $0 to download, install and play and even the monthly subscription is substantially lower than most mainstream MMOs.  There's even out-of-game content you can access free in the form of mini-games.  Doesn't seem to greedy to me...

3)  The cash shop - it's done pretty well, IMO.  It has a lot of great items that you WANT to buy and that may be helpful in the short term, but are definitely not necessary.  Can you spend a lot of money in the cash shop?  Sure.  Do you have to in order to be able to enjoy the game?  No, unless you're the type of player who simply can't enjoy  a game unless you have only the very best, shiniest gear from the very start. 

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Not pay to win, it's pay to play game with a trial area. Someone just labeled it as free to play because it's the latests cool sounding buzzword.

Considering the OP hasn't even gotten to the premium content, his statement about the best ships etc. being store bought is best ignored. The regular vendors in the free portion doesn't sell the top tier ships
  • Twilight33Twilight33 Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Originally posted by Vrika
    Not pay to win, it's pay to play game with a trial area. Someone just labeled it as free to play because it's the latests cool sounding buzzword.

i agree the biggest missconception with this game is the Free to Play. it is in no way free to play i dont know why they call it that.

in reality both games use two models. traditional pay to play subscription, and the other being buy to play. if you plan to play for a short amount of time subscription is best. if you see a long term commitment then buying the content straight up is the better investment. i prefer the second model as i see it being no different then playing GW2 and having to buy expansions for content down the road. hell technically subscription games do the same thing. look at wow they charge you $60 every year or so for new content. is this really any different.

also the content isnt as expensive as you make it out to be. each chapter is around $5. which comes out to $150 if you buy all the chapter content in the game. if you do this it would be no different then buying a lifetime sub to a mmo. in fact it is cheap most cost $200+. you also dont have to purchase it all upfront making the price a lot more manageable. overall i have spent a lot more on mmos then this before.

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362
    Originally posted by Twilight33
    Originally posted by Vrika

i agree the biggest missconception with this game is the Free to Play. it is in no way free to play i dont know why they call it that.

in reality both games use two models. traditional pay to play subscription, and the other being buy to play. if you plan to play for a short amount of time subscription is best. if you see a long term commitment then buying the content straight up is the better investment. i prefer the second model as i see it being no different then playing GW2 and having to buy expansions for content down the road. hell technically subscription games do the same thing. look at wow they charge you $60 every year or so for new content. is this really any different.

also the content isnt as expensive as you make it out to be. each chapter is around $5. which comes out to $150 if you buy all the chapter content in the game. if you do this it would be no different then buying a lifetime sub to a mmo. in fact it is cheap most cost $200+. you also dont have to purchase it all upfront making the price a lot more manageable. overall i have spent a lot more on mmos then this before.

With what is out now, I believe it is around 65k crowns for every chapter. So if you bought crowns on sale it would be around 65 dollars. They are still selling the 90 dollar bundle which gives you the choice between 12 month sub and 60k crowns with all the extras added in.

The only down side of the crown route is you dont get the extras of the sub like the pack space and real chat.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    It is completely pay to win - just like wizard101.  You pay for a subscription PLUS the crown shop sells the best gear, most powerful pets, best ships, best ship parts, stat increase potions, and as you progress through the game and unlock companions, guess what! They aren't unlocked and now useable, but they are now "unlocked" and available for purchase in the crown shop!  Again, all that AFTER already paying a monthly sub, or just buying zones with crowns.  Pirate101 and wizard101 are two of the biggest pay to win swindle jobs around.
  • rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798
    Originally posted by Margulis
    It is completely pay to win - just like wizard101.  You pay for a subscription PLUS the crown shop sells the best gear, most powerful pets, best ships, best ship parts, stat increase potions, and as you progress through the game and unlock companions, guess what! They aren't unlocked and now useable, but they are now "unlocked" and available for purchase in the crown shop!  Again, all that AFTER already paying a monthly sub, or just buying zones with crowns.  Pirate101 and wizard101 are two of the biggest pay to win swindle jobs around.

"Pay to Win" implies that you must pay real money in order to win, that success isn' t possible without being forced to pay for that success.  That is simply not the case with Pirate101.

1)  The crowns shop doesn't necessarily sell the "best gear". It does, however, sell gear that can give you a head start.  You can find gear that's arguably as good in game, but it may take longer.  Basically, you're paying for convenience and/or looks.   Regardless, crown shop purchases are optional.  Assuming you've already unlocked a chapter with either a subscription or crowns purchase, there's absolutely nothing you need to buy in order to succeed.  Do you want a better ship and want to use crowns as a shortcut to getting it?  You have that option, but it's never required.  If you're a subscriber you NEVER have to buy anything else if you don't want to and you'll still be able to play and succeed just fine. 

2)  Companions unlocked for purchase - not every pirate class gets every companion for every quest line. As an example, at least one class earns Bones McGee for free, but the other classes can still unlock Bones McGee and can choose to buy him, if desired. It lets other characters buy cool companions they wouldn't otherwise get.  None of them are required, however.  They're completely optional and are most definitely not required in order for you to succeed in playing the game.

So where's the swindle?  The only time you EVER need to spend money in order to play is to either pay a subscription fee or crowns to unlock chapters.  That's it.  If you want extra special shiny gear because it's pretty or because you get a slight advantage sooner than you otherwise would, you want a cool new companion or a mount or pet (and you can earn pets, btw) then you have the OPTION of buying  them.  You do not have to buy them in order to play or succeed.

• Kez95Kez95 Member UncommonPosts: 53

It is a kids game mainly, just like Wizard101.  If you want a challenge, don't spend any crowns on anything.  I never spent any cash in Wizard101 except for the monthly subscription, and it was still easy 90% of the time.  Even the Big Ben tower fight and the fights with the big bosses were not that huge of a challenge, though I wish that I didn't have to slug through so many simple encounters to get to the harder battles.  

In Pirate101, the combat is still pretty easy but requires much more thought since where you position yourself and your companions is crucial to an easy battle.  Kids will probably use the cash shop to buy pets and companions and whatever else that catches their eye, but experienced MMO players shouldn't need any of that to succeed.

I suspect PvP will be pay to win, but like any PvP, the dude who spends 80 hours a week playing and analyzing everything will figure out how to win and beat you no matter what you do, so to me it is a waste of time.

MMORPGs are virtual skinner boxes.

http://www.nickyee.com/eqt/skinner.html

• mordaki987mordaki987 Member UncommonPosts: 36
    the thing people don't understand and what mmorpg is so adamant of me doing  here in relation to pirate101 and wizard101 is the fact that i am telling the truth or trying to at least.  and that nowhere in any of its statements or terms of use does it say anywhere that pirate101 is a pay to play online game.  it specifically says on its maim webpage that the game is free to play.  it says nothing about limited access free to play it just says and stats that pirate101 is a free to play game.  and when i try to tell the trouth about these games it gets me a slap on the wrist with a warning that i am trolling or bating others with my negative comments.  these aren't negative comments here people they are me making others aware that this game isn't what it claims to be and that eventually the player is going to find out that theyh are going to have to either become a member or pay through the nose for crowns to unlock in game areas or have unlimited access to in game content.  at the present point in time i'm not worried about getting another warning or anything what i am wanting people to know is that pirate101 and wizard101 are not what they claim to be.  once poeple understand that then i will be a content person.
  • xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by mordaki987
    the thing people don't understand and what mmorpg is so adamant of me doing  here in relation to pirate101 and wizard101 is the fact that i am telling the truth or trying to at least.  and that nowhere in any of its statements or terms of use does it say anywhere that pirate101 is a pay to play online game.  it specifically says on its maim webpage that the game is free to play.  it says nothing about limited access free to play it just says and stats that pirate101 is a free to play game.  and when i try to tell the trouth about these games it gets me a slap on the wrist with a warning that i am trolling or bating others with my negative comments.  these aren't negative comments here people they are me making others aware that this game isn't what it claims to be and that eventually the player is going to find out that theyh are going to have to either become a member or pay through the nose for crowns to unlock in game areas or have unlimited access to in game content.  at the present point in time i'm not worried about getting another warning or anything what i am wanting people to know is that pirate101 and wizard101 are not what they claim to be.  once poeple understand that then i will be a content person.

So on your quest of uhh speaking the truth. Why are you only limiting yourself to just KI games? Being the nice guy I am, I have decided to share some of the links of some other games which claim to be free but only push you towards a money shop or subscription. Here they are https://signup.ddo.com/ddo.php?ftui=DDOBlackDragon&abrs=188_1352489723 DDO, (limited world just like Pirate101)http://en.allods.gpotato.com/landing/ and http://www.vanguardthegame.com/ (Sure you can explore the world, but you are not going very far without a subscription).  Now that I put a couple of these up. Which all claim to be free.. Is Pirate101 any different. Even when coming to this site mmorpg.com, there is a advertisement for Eve Online. Which says FREE NOW! Only to find out it lasts 14 days and you are limited on abilities, equipment and ship without fully subscribing.

Also, I am not knocking any of those games mentioned above. That is the format many MMOs are using or starting to use. Raging on games that follow that format are not going to do you or me or anyone else any type of service. As many of todays mmos use that type of f2p/p2p option(including advertisements as "FREE").

After reading your post history I realize that you Mordaki are actually a old school gamer. My generation! Back then we really didnt have the format that mmos are using now. Rather it was a straight up subscription. Times change, mmos are not here to give a player the "EXPERIENCE" for free. I would not expect them to. As they are there to make money!

If you are interested in a f2p game there is always Minecraft. Just a warning, in the near future that title will no longer be free as well. Complaining about the new mmo format really is not going to change a thing. As players that like a game will play it, regardless of the negative advice someone will give.

Also, read that you thought Everquest came out before Asherons Call. Thats a good point as Everquest came out only 6 months before AC. I played both :-D

It is my sincere best wish that you will find the game that is just "right" for you. that way you can leave games you have issue with alone and actually enjoy gaming! :-P

• deathgiantdeathgiant Member Posts: 32
    deleted because of misunderstanding. my apologies.
    It's really simple, you don't NEED to pay anything to the crowns shop after your subscription price - but if 80% of the playable companions that you unlock during the game you MUST purchase through the cash shop, that's going to rub people the wrong way (especially if you're already paying a subscription).  And it should, because it's a blatant money grab.  And the cash shop also sells the best gear, pets, ship parts and ships.  People can turn their head to it or defend it all they  want, but it is an extremely greedy and blatant money grab without doubt.  Still, it is a fun game, especially since they fixed the combat with the latest patch.  Shame so many aspects of the game (companion unlocks being the worst) are only available through cash shop.  If it was 100% F2P that's one thing to have them there, but subscription, then that, not good.
    Case in point - unlocked a companion through questing that is only avaiable to use through crown shop purchase (as is all of them that are unlockables) and figured the real money cost is over 20 bucks for just the single companion.  AFTER paying the montly subscription fee.
    It's really simple, you don't NEED to pay anything to the crowns shop after your subscription price - but if 80% of the playable companions that you unlock during the game you MUST purchase through the cash shop, that's going to rub people the wrong way (especially if you're already paying a subscription).  And it should, because it's a blatant money grab.  And the cash shop also sells the best gear, pets, ship parts and ships.  People can turn their head to it or defend it all they  want, but it is an extremely greedy and blatant money grab without doubt.  Still, it is a fun game, especially since they fixed the combat with the latest patch.  Shame so many aspects of the game (companion unlocks being the worst) are only available through cash shop.  If it was 100% F2P that's one thing to have them there, but subscription, then that, not good.

Not that I want to dispute your conclusion about the game because I largely agree but the companions are a non issue. The ones you buy from the crown shop are worthless, compared to the first four you get for free. If you want to have the companions other classes get then yes you can buy them but then again you may as well play the class that gets those for free

• tridimantridiman Member Posts: 1
    I have been playing for quite a while now and have found that I have learned not to spend any money in the crown shop. Yes if you want an early jump, or are just trying to rush through the game without doing the side quest, then the crown shop is almost necessary but then just a couple lvls down the road you find yourself getting even better equipment through drops or the various shops throughout the game. Same for ship parts though I have found myself buying some for the final ship to this segment of the game just to have the best of the best (also fun while sailing through the low level areas just blasting enemy ships with one shot on the fly ;) (teach those scummy rascals to give me a hard time while I was working my way up :D Now companions are definitely something I haven't even bothered with looking at in the crown shop because so many are dropped throughout the game I find that I wish I could send a few away (unbearably it seems to be my luck that during the worst battles I get the least upgraded companion ;) But all in all there are more than enough for almost any given situation, it's just that the only one you can be really sure of for any given battle is your side kick (unless it is a major boss battle then you get to choose.

In conclusion I must say that I actually enjoy this game more than wizard 101 and see much more potential in it for further development. I would strongly recommend it to people of all ages looking for a good clean game the whole family can enjoy.
  • zekeofevzekeofev Member UncommonPosts: 240

The animations are nice, the story is good. The combat is decent although it could be way better.

I liked it enough to subscribe and keep playing and am enjoying myself so far.

I agree with the above posters though, Pirate101 is not a free to play game really. You play till level 8-9 and then you are locked out of content unless you pay piecemeal by area or subscribe monthy to get the whole game.

I like that you can choose which payment system you like better that is a really neat idea but I dislike how it is deceptive about its free to play model. It is basically a glorified trial.

I would like to add that the majority of gear in the cash shop is simply a slightly better version of comparable level drops. And the majority of stuff, or comparable side grades, can be found a few levels farther as a drop or from a vendor. It is far more akin to asthetic appeal and covenience then power. The only exception is mounts....no mounts in game except cash shop ones....which I suppose is a convenience thing too but it still irritated me when I found that out.

• KezzadrixKezzadrix Member Posts: 90
    Pirates 101 is not a free to play game.  As others have already mentioned, you are barred from 95% of the conent without paying, so it's only a free trial really.  That said, I purchased enough crowns (in-game currency) for my nephew to unlock all areas of the game while the crowns were on sale for a total of $70.00.  That allows access to the entire game world for his account for life (as long as the game is running).  My nephew loves the game and it has hours and hours of content for him to enjoy, so I am happy with it. 
  • SoraksisSoraksis Member UncommonPosts: 294
    Case in point - unlocked a companion through questing that is only avaiable to use through crown shop purchase (as is all of them that are unlockables) and figured the real money cost is over 20 bucks for just the single companion.  AFTER paying the montly subscription fee.

Just felt that I should set the record straight.  Not all companions are available to all classes.   For example my wife, and my daughter, and myself all finished the same quest offering a companion for a reward.  Well all it was for me was a crown shop unlock but my wife and daughter actually got the companion.   You do not have to pay a damn thing for companions I have almost 2 pages of companions now and I haven't spent a dime on this game other than the 7 dollar sub for our accounts.  

I dont believe you were intentionally misleading people but what you stated was misleading none the less.  Having played multiple toons beyond level 30 I can absolutely confirm that what might turn out to be a crown shop unlock companion for one character will be an in game unlock for another.  Now there are a few special characters you will run across ingame that are not for anybody, they are crown shop only but they are few and none of them in no way shape or form will give anyone an advantage if they purchase it.  As a matter of fact there is only one companion that I think is stacked and OP when you get him.  But everyone gets him, its part of the story.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I don't think it's pay to win, but it is buy to play.  I bought several of the little ones crowns to buy almost all the areas.  If you put $60 into it, which is what most new games cost anyways, you can unlock almost everything you'll ever need, until they add more...
  • ArduArdu Member CommonPosts: 55
    Not only players spend money on subscriptions or crowns to pay for each area, but we also have to take a chance with loot packs?

Players can't really enjoy everything this game has to offer instead  KingsIsle restricts and give the best items and companions to players with the bigger wallets.

KingsIsle is making the same mistake they did with Wizard101, the same business model by giving unfair advantages to other players. Again I don't see how this game is any better compared to Guild Wars 2.

Guild Wars 2 does not offer loot packs plus items in the in-game shop do not give advantages to other players.
  • xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by Ardu
    Not only players spend money on subscriptions or crowns to pay for each area, but we also have to take a chance with loot packs?

Players can't really enjoy everything this game has to offer instead  KingsIsle restricts and give the best items and companions to players with the bigger wallets.

KingsIsle is making the same mistake they did with Wizard101, the same business model by giving unfair advantages to other players. Again I don't see how this game is better compared to Guild Wars 2.

Guild Wars 2 does not offer loot packs plus items in the in-game shop do not give advantages to other players.

Dont blame Kings Isle for the route you chose to go Ardu. I subscribe and my Buccaneer smokes almost every other player in the game at pvp. I dont see any unfair advantage. As all my alts have the coolest equipment you can get in the game. And its withut crowns. Also I get to go wherever I want in the game. You chose the crown route. I chose the monthly sub.

Choices, Choices........

• ArduArdu Member CommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by xpowderx

KingsIsle is making the same mistake they did with Wizard101, the same business model by giving unfair advantages to other players. Again I don't see how this game is better compared to Guild Wars 2.

Dont blame Kings Isle for the route you chose to go Ardu. I subscribe and my Buccaneer smokes almost every other player in the game at pvp. I dont see any unfair advantage. As all my alts have the coolest equipment you can get in the game. And its withut crowns. Also I get to go wherever I want in the game. You chose the crown route. I chose the monthly sub.

Choices, Choices........

Don't balme KingsIsle for thier pay to win model and subcriptions? I don't see how this company is making a difference rather than just plain offering pay to win mmos.

KingsIsle is making the same mistake they did with Wizard101, the same business model by giving unfair advantages to other players. Again I don't see how this game is any better compared to Guild Wars 2.

I think they would call what you a mistake money in the bank.  Sure people with common sense can see how many ways they try to get more money out of you, and either avoid their games like I have chosen to do, or be ok with not having some of the best stuff.  BUT, they target kids, and rightly so - they are the ones who are more impatient and are going to want everything now, so why not bug parents for another game card or whatever?  This company is 100% about milking every ounce they can get.