Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's official... Star Citizen will not be a MMO...

Comments

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by onlinenow25
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto

WRONG. It's an MMO PLUS single player campaign and optional private servers (whoever wants that)

You left out the important part, why??

From the FAQ: "There will be public servers that we host for the main universe/game. The universe is going to be a persistent living entity, where your actions, (discovering a jump point and successfully navigating its jump for the first time, designing a ship for sale in the online shops, winning a key in-game battle etc.), will be woven into the history and lore of the game. We really want the universe to be shaped, both by your actions and created user content… to really embrace the passion and creativity of the core fans. A central server system for the persistent universe will be required to assure security, prevent cheating and other bad behavior. We also plan to provide a version that allows private servers similar to Freelancer to be maintained and run by the pilot communities. These would support single and multiplayer space combat battles where teams could hone their skills without having to use the public servers."

And you missed the big fat NO! at the start of the answer.

"No" as in not just a mmo but more..  It's not hard to figure it out if you read it all.  He doesn't want it classified as a MMO because it's so much more than a standard MMO

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    MMO's are hard to make, especially if you lack the funding..... probably a better approach for them to take.

True. Also mmo's are oversaturated market.

It is a shame that they not deciced to make DLC's mini-expansions with new content / features on like every  like 4 months to have continuous stream of  money and have put an cash shop in non-mmo game instead.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by Brenelael

Look... My intention in posting this thread was informational only. I have no desire to see Star Citizen removed from MMORPG's game listing. I believe it has just as much right to be here as Diablo 2, Guild Wars, World of Tanks and a couple dozen other games. Heck I personally think it's more MMO like than half of those other games already listed here. RSI's official stance is Star Citizen isn't a MMO and I agree with that assessment knowing a little more about the game.

Sure it will have a lot of MMO like features but it won't have a few key features that make a game a MMO. This doesn't mean that I'm any less hyped about this game. I still think it will be the best game we will probably see in the next 5 years at least for PC. I just think that people here need to not get so hyped about it being a MMO when even the developers state it isn't.

Bren

He doesn't specifically say it won't be an MMO. He says No! as to not be associated as just an MMO. As these days you have to be careful, as before you know it, you'll be branded, classed and judged about everything you say.

Star Citizen will definitely have MMO features. Public servers with a persistent online world, that will be expanded upon via updates. Cash shop to buy new features/updates, etc. 

Next to the Online Persistent World, Star Citizen will also have a huge "Offline" Single player campain. With possibility to host private servers yourself to just play with friends, etc.

Hence, why he doesn't want to be strictly associated with and labled as just an MMO.

Star Citizen will basically be a Single Player + MultiPlayer + MMO.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

I have heard Brooklyn bridge is for sale again...

• lavosslayerlavosslayer Member Posts: 55
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

And you missed the big fat FACT that this implies it will be much more than just another average Joe MMO.

It implies that it won't be an MMO.

Obviously no one here is able to read past the "NO" and comprehend the text which follows.

It´s an MMO, it´s a single player game, it´s a multiplayer game which can be hosted on private servers,

THEREFORE

THE MMO LABEL WOULD BE A JOKE BECAUSE IT GOES FAR BEYOND THAT

Reading comprehension is at an all time global low these days...especially in internet communities such as this one!

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

Look... My intention in posting this thread was informational only. I have no desire to see Star Citizen removed from MMORPG's game listing. I believe it has just as much right to be here as Diablo 2, Guild Wars, World of Tanks and a couple dozen other games. Heck I personally think it's more MMO like than half of those other games already listed here. RSI's official stance is Star Citizen isn't a MMO and I agree with that assessment knowing a little more about the game.

Sure it will have a lot of MMO like features but it won't have a few key features that make a game a MMO. This doesn't mean that I'm any less hyped about this game. I still think it will be the best game we will probably see in the next 5 years at least for PC. I just think that people here need to not get so hyped about it being a MMO when even the developers state it isn't.

Bren

Never underestimate what crazy modders can do. Any feature you may think of, you'll see it implemented on some private 24/7 server.

Even in Freelancer you had mod 24/7 servers where players could create new bases, claim territories for their NPC or PC faction and things like that, which means having an actual persistent effect on the world, which is more than what many MMOs offer today, sadly. And Freelancer is an old game.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

And you missed the big fat FACT that this implies it will be much more than just another average Joe MMO.

And thats the point. And i dont care if it is a mmo or not. There is no really good mmo outthere anyway.. and what does it help you, when you would be theoretically with thousands of other players in the same world, when you actually never play or care with more than 40 players? (or a few more in some cases) And no, it is not World of Warcraft or anything similar to it.

So it is just a multiplayer online game wiht hundreds of players? I seriously dont care. As long as any themepark game is actually just a lobby where you play with more or less 40 other players at maximum they are also not MMOs anymore.

And i think the term MMO is overused anyways and not worth a dime. We will see what this one will be, and i cant wait.

(and yeah.. i am a big Wing Commander/Privateer fan.. as much as i was a Elite fan)

PS: And yes.. i dont expect any progression whatsoever. And i am glad about it. So yes.. you cant compare it, and you shouldnt compare it with the games out there called MMOs. But will it multiplayer? With a persistent world? Hell.. yeah.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

It sounds to me sort of like theyre going with something akin to Diablo 2 setup, but with persistent worlds rather than small randomly generated lobbies.

To compare Diablo 2 had:

-Official Bnet server

-Open Bnet servers (people able to create their own games and were not under many of the rules & restrictions of official Bnet, allowing customization to your instances)

-Single player Campaign

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251

Bren

Like what? I mean, what's it missing?(curiousity)

Originally posted by william0532

Bren

He means character progression. There are no skills(maybe there are skills, but i doubt it) or levels. You can earn money and upgrade your ship or things like that.. but it will not make *ding*

Originally posted by Apraxis

Bren

He means character progression. There are no skills(maybe there are skills, but i doubt it) or levels. You can earn money and upgrade your ship or things like that.. but it will not make *ding*

I don't know, I mean, its not tab target like eve so skills wouldn't make sense. You have gear progression, your x ship with all tier one parts vs. that same x ship with tier 3 parts will mean that the other player will have much more at his disposal than you(he progressed).  Plus with all the different ships, upgrades, roles, that changes the dynamic from leveling too progressing which alot of people see as the same thing, with different names. I've always wondered why mmo's have skills and gear progression? Just to create many carrots?

As far as character progression, someone who's played and aquired the gear and skill to be the best has to some level progressed? I mean, they will have crafters, so they will have low level crafters and high level crafters. Same with pirates, bounty hunters, and soldiers(or whatever they are calling military service)

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

a level concept would be outdated and stupid anyway, I don't care to be fighter pilot lvl23. Intelligently designed MMOs have skill based and/or gear based progression, no "levels"

also no classes, please.

a level concept would be outdated and stupid anyway, I don't care to be fighter pilot lvl23. Intelligently designed MMOs have skill based and/or gear based progression, no "levels"

also no classes, please.

I don't think theres classes, but there is professions, I guess they are the same thing. Roberts has mentioned-Trader, Soldier, Pirate, Merchant.

Then theres also Bounty hunter as a rumor since it's a title in the game.

I don't know if you pick them, or if you become them by doing them. I think if you have a ship that fits the style of play, and you participate, than you become that profession(thats a guess though)

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

2 things

Firstly, I think there is a great opportunity for all MMO's looking at having privately hosted servers that allow modding.  Anyone else think its a great way to get new content easily?  If a mod is just too good to be true, then they could always consider implementing it and giving credit to the gamer who did it. 

Secondly, regarding a post about classes.  I personally felt EvE had the right idea.  No levels but you needed a level of knowledge to use an item.  Another system I like is seeing ranks that allow access to new ships etc. (not showing levels but still have progression). It makes sense in RL to.  You would never let an ensign command a ship so naturally a captain would be a higher level with more options and access to advanced weaponry.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Bren

Your intention is obvious and that is to sabatoge a game that is trying to get funding.  It says persintant world, and oline play how is that different than any other mmo.

Originally posted by chryses

2 things

Firstly, I think there is a great opportunity for all MMO's looking at having privately hosted servers that allow modding.  Anyone else think its a great way to get new content easily?  If a mod is just too good to be true, then they could always consider implementing it and giving credit to the gamer who did it. 

Secondly, regarding a post about classes.  I personally felt EvE had the right idea.  No levels but you needed a level of knowledge to use an item.  Another system I like is seeing ranks that allow access to new ships etc. (not showing levels but still have progression). It makes sense in RL to.  You would never let an ensign command a ship so naturally a captain would be a higher level with more options and access to advanced weaponry.

The modding. Actually thats what I think is amazing. Take how many people where pissed about swtors space game? Now, if you had your own private server, and the modding tool that Chris Roberts is talking to people that do that kind of thing on his site(I don't even know what the hell they are talking about in the mod thread, poly counts and what nots), now apply that to those starwars fans, and you can guess what kind of mod those people will have on their private servers. Hell if you look at every space game from free lancer to sins of a solar empire, theres a starwars or startrek mod. It allows some players to play the game the exact way they want to. It's pretty cool in my book.

As far as giving credit to the modder. They have stated that if you make a ship design using the mod engine they have in the game, if its good enough, they will add it too the persistent universe and you can sell it as the creator of it.(obviously you won't see stardestroyers from starwars on the persistent server, only private servers). I thought that was pretty cool. It really allows some of those creative types in the field to work their craft.

As far as the classes, I hope he talks about those soon, cause I'm very curious. The quotes don't really clear things up, except for you can't be a pirate and be enlisted in the military kind of draws some conclusions and ideas, but nothing concrete yet. 

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

im holding off calling it a mmo or not. simply because there is not even a press based alpha let alone a public flushed out alpha/beta build to see what they can/can not do with whatever game system they use to make it. 

but frankly the way they worded it could have been better. it seems people are hailing it as an mmo. when at times it sounds more like a CoOP game play. which i think is where alot of people are kinda confused. (again until an actual client is produced no one can really say either way.) 

but right now i personally find it to be coming across as a single player/CoOP MP game.  not really a mmo in the literal sense of what an mmo is. while that isnt bad at all, it would be nice if they kinda nailed down their target system alittle more accurately.  though i would guess that would be more flushed out when they make a client.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

2 things

Firstly, I think there is a great opportunity for all MMO's looking at having privately hosted servers that allow modding.

Wouldn't really be an MMO without the massively multiplayer part.

• KrashnerKrashner Member Posts: 137
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG
    Originally posted by AdamTM
    Originally posted by saurus123

so i think its time to remove it from mmorpg.com?

Together with World of Tanks, League of Legends, DOTA, Day Z, etc.

Uhh...how is DayZ not an MMO? If Dayz isn't an MMO then neither is WoW, SWToR, TSW, or LotRO.

Are you thinking of WarZ?

DayZ is not WarZ. DayZ only allows what like 40 players or something per any open but privately hosted server (can't remember exactly).

And 40 players running together in a perpetual virtual world is more players than you get in any given zone in Age of Conan, or get in any dungeon in LotRO, or SWTOR,  and heavily instanced games like that, yet they're still called MMOs.

And you can get up to 100 people per server.

Let me guess. You think CounterStrike and Call of Duty are mmos also.

I just got done fighting in a 70 man battle on Mount and Blade, now that's a true mmo. Blizzard must be so jealous since they could only make a game with thousands of people per server. I mean you even have to LOAD when you try and go to another continent. I can't wait for Halo 4, that's going to be the best mmo ever!

2 things

Firstly, I think there is a great opportunity for all MMO's looking at having privately hosted servers that allow modding.

Wouldn't really be an MMO without the massively multiplayer part.

Thank god we've ironed that out, so now we can all agree that WoW is not an mmo, because it has private servers as well.

Seriously though, I don't get how this is considered odd to most people, alot of mmo's have also had private server capabilities and persistent online servers. Nothing new here.

• praytockpraytock Member Posts: 23

Im liking what I see in this game regardless WHAT it is. Ill be hosting a few servers on my server farm for sure.

=)

also no classes, please.

I don't think theres classes, but there is professions, I guess they are the same thing. Roberts has mentioned-Trader, Soldier, Pirate, Merchant.

I don't know if you pick them, or if you become them by doing them. I think if you have a ship that fits the style of play, and you participate, than you become that profession(thats a guess though)

Yeap.. but not in the MMO way of things. So you dont select to be a Pirate and then be it and nothing else. I guess i can play as a pirate and because of that you are a pirate.. no skill, class or anything mmo typical involved.. and when you chose to trade you are a merchant.. that simple really.. and i think it is the best.. let you actions define what you are, and not some stupid template(class, roles, professions, skills or whatever).

And about the Ship progression.. I dont think that there are Tiers or levels to ships.. IT is more of a tradeoff every time. You got a big ship, then you will have a lot of armor, and a lot more weapons.. and your maneuverability will not be as good as a smaller faster ship. But yeah, you can progress as to buy maybe new and better weapons or shield generator or whatever.. but all of that will have some tradeoffs too.

But it is a very long time until it will release.. so lets just wait.

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

also no classes, please.

Yeap.. but not in the MMO way of things. So you dont select to be a Pirate and then be it and nothing else. I guess i can play as a pirate and because of that you are a pirate.. no skill, class or anything mmo typical involved.. and when you chose to trade you are a merchant.. that simple really.. and i think it is the best.. let you actions define what you are, and not some stupid template(class, roles, professions, skills or whatever).

And about the Ship progression.. I dont think that there are Tiers or levels to ships.. IT is more of a tradeoff every time. You got a big ship, then you will have a lot of armor, and a lot more weapons.. and your maneuverability will not be as good as a smaller faster ship. But yeah, you can progress as to buy maybe new and better weapons or shield generator or whatever.. but all of that will have some tradeoffs too.

If we go by Mr. Robert's old games, we will probably just get dropped in the universe and then it's going to be up to ourselves. It's probably going to be very sandboxy and, as you say, our actions are going to define what we "are".

If you join the Freelancer servers, some people decide trading, some others trying to pirate such traders, some others decide fighting off those pirates, and so on. You can join any faction you fancy, and players and NPCs will show on your radar as allies, neutral or enemies depending on your allignment with the many factions, which changes depending on your actions.

If all this happens in a game this old, I really want to see what Mr. Roberts will come up with using today's resources.

also no classes, please.

Some of those conversations on the site are pretty hilarious. Had one poster saying that pirates should have an icon over their ship that says they are pirates lol! How can you pirate if everyone knows what your up too lol. Even pirates of old didn't raise the old skull and cross bones until close enough to spring the attack.

The reason I think there is tiers to the ships, is ben(not spelling his name) from RSI posted that the ships have over a hundred parts(not sure if they are all craftable), so I would imagine you would start with a weak gun and upgrade it with the rest of the main systems(hundred is alot though?)

I do like that they post in their forums that some of the things players are talking about "are good ideas" "or they like something we are talking about" thats wierd.

I'm used to SWTOR's system, where we would say "I want 3D space" than Daniel Erickson would pop in and say "no you don't, you want story!" (I know, a bit over dramaticizing it, but man, they liked to tell players they where wrong alot lol"

I'm not going to lie, I think the hope of what it could be is more exciting than it should be(like all mmo's right?) But damn, I want to explore a galaxy and kill things in it with skill not facerolling my number keys(which always ends up with me running macros on my end, and claiming to be an utter pvp god)

Your right though, its a wait and see thing.

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

If this genre wants to move forward, we need more Roberts. Star Citizen is not an MMO, it's more.
    The next step in mmo evolution.

Persistent World + "Private" Multiplayer Servers (you can still rent a server and host them there).

@ OP, how strange of you to define "persistent World" as "just" a mmo feature if not the core of the very idea which get's violated by so many so called "MMOs".