Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I liked Wizard 101

BobRossBobRoss Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 213

I subbed to it and it was mega fun.

Now they have Pirates 101 huh?

Lets hope , being 40 years old, I can play without limited chat and with other people of my age group or close. That was the #1 thing that made me unsub from them. Also, lets hope they have added Guilds so you can recruit players and see when they come on and everyone of them can chat in the same box. Seriously, in this day and age of social networking, they gotta have this or ....no pun intended .....They missed the boat.

Comments

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

It's a family-friendly game based in the samed world as Wizard101.  The gameplay may be different, but I wouldn't expect changes like completely free chat and guilds.  They're catering to pretty much the same audience as before.

As for "missing the boat", I disagree.  Wizard101 is a giant success without those features. Yes, guilds would be nice and I even thought they were necessary for "a modern MMO" back when I was in beta for Wizard101.  Obviously, I was wrong.  They might be nice, but they've proven to be irrelevant to the success of Wizard101.  Unless I'm mistaken, Pirate101 will be a huge success, too.  My son is definitely clamoring to play, after four years of playing Wizard101, and I'll most likely be buying him the Boochbeard starter pack for PIrate101 today.

• BobRossBobRoss Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 213

Yep , They missed the boat!

I subbed to it just to give it a try and to see if they opened things up even just a little bit. I have the money for it and if things went well I was going to purchase the huge package they have as well. I think it was 89.99.

Nope. I tried talking to a person and the chat filtered the words so bad the other player couldnt understand me. Took 1 hour to Unsub. Yes, you can't even say Unsub in the game, they filter that too.

Thanks Kings Isle for the 1 hour of play you gave me for $10 but no thank you, I'll pass on your products until you get out of dreamland.

• BobRossBobRoss Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 213

Rhinok ,

Your wrong. Guilds are neccessary in a game like this if you want to band together a bunch of OLDER folks in a guild and keep out the young whiny kids.

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362

Well they do have a feature callled a "True Friend Code" that lets you talk and group up with people you give it to.

The game seems decent but for me it looks like the MMO version of Toy's R US. Bright and shiny and everything is on sale in the Cash Shop form power, to money to whatever. It's made for little kids to say "gimmie, gimmie, gimmie" to their parents so KI can rake in that crown money.

Wanting fleshed out features in a game like this is like asking for end game raiding in Hello Kitty Online, it wasn't made for us. If we enjoy it, that is a bonus for KI but they made it specifically for kids and families to maximize profits. So the game will have 57 pedo protectors and all other kinds of limitations.

If I had a say at KI, I would have a CC method to verify age and then make a server with no chat restrcitions and group options for older players.

Bob I was going to actually ask about this on the forums or start a discussion on it, I forgot you have to pay money to post there. Since you bought a membership, maybe you can bring it up with them and see if you can make some positive headway on it.

• kalrhaelkalrhael Member Posts: 87

Yea, Its a drag when I'm playing with my friend and our IM server goes down and we're both left in the game unable to communitcate with each other, I know the game is trying to protect the children but there are PLEENTY of instances in real life where your children will be around strangers, and guess what you teach your children? Don't talk to strangers.

Game goes way too far with those restrictive features, I mean hell if a predator wanted to talk with a child on the internet, he's a few keystrokes away at any given time.

It just seems way too excessive when its a fact that children are exposed  strangers in every day life, and also IN EVERY OTHER GAME THATS ON THE INTERNET...

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362
    Originally posted by kalrhael

Yea, Its a drag when I'm playing with my friend and our IM server goes down and we're both left in the game unable to communitcate with each other, I know the game is trying to protect the children but there are PLEENTY of instances in real life where your children will be around strangers, and guess what you teach your children? Don't talk to strangers.

Game goes way too far with those restrictive features, I mean hell if a predator wanted to talk with a child on the internet, he's a few keystrokes away at any given time.

It just seems way too excessive when its a fact that children are exposed  strangers in every day life, and also IN EVERY OTHER GAME THATS ON THE INTERNET...

It's not really for the kids, it's for overreactive and overprotective parents. They will throw all this stuff in to tout the safety and security of the game so the parent feels ok with letting their kids play, which in turn means it is ok for them to spend money on crowns. Everything is built around that concept.  With kids there is no concept of pay to win, balance, fairness, or any of that. You see the cool horse or bear guys, you want him, ask ask mom or dad for the crowns. That is what the game boils down to. It's fun but the game is totally about throwing shiniy things in kids faces and getting them excited enough to badger their familes for more crowns.

I don't think people give kids enough credit, I mean there are pre-teens and teens who have never known a word without internet, they are gorwing up on this stuff so the self-awareness and precautions are better than they were before.

I guess in the end it doesn't matter how we feel about it. KI will keep making the games exactly the same way and raking in the cash.

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798
    Originally posted by BobRoss

Rhinok ,

Your wrong. Guilds are neccessary in a game like this if you want to band together a bunch of OLDER folks in a guild and keep out the young whiny kids.

Guilds are necessary for "you", apparently, to enjoy the game.  They are not necessary to the success of the game, as was proven by Wizard101.  Wizard101 is extremely successful, despite not having guilds. Pirate101 should be just as successful.

• Kez95Kez95 Member UncommonPosts: 53
    You can get around needing a guild by having friends, true friends, and by telling all of them to always go to a specific, rarely-used realm (instance) near the bottom of the list.  This eliminates a huge chance of running into people who are newbs or kids who don't even know how to change realms.  If you have access to the main forums you should post what realm you are going to use and see if you can get support for your idea.  I always find better people to group up with by switching to underpopulated realms.

MMORPGs are virtual skinner boxes.

http://www.nickyee.com/eqt/skinner.html

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

There are three kinds of chat in Wizard 101:

a) Menu chat available to all

b) Text chat where only words listed by KingsIsle as safe are allowed, available to players over 13 if I remember correctly

c) Open chat where only words listed by KingsIsle as dangerous are cencored, available to those who prove they're 18+ by payin with credit card, and then it has to be switched on from your accound management.

I've never had any larger cencorship problems with their open chat. Did you try enabling it and playing with others who use it before complaining?

I agree that this game would need guilds, or maybe rather zone -wide chat channels and custom chat channels for those who want them. Finding new friends is a pain in the ass because the chat functions are so limited.