Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help with definitions here

Maybe I'm missing something here.  I've read through the official site, and both parts of the interview posted here, part two of which was posted up today.  In part two, and throughout the site, it's mentioned that Conan is an 'Online Action RPG'.  In the second part of the interview, the rep for the devs says the Conan is 'not a true MMO....'.

We know that the first 20 lvls of character development will be single player and offline.  (subscription free as well image )  But once going into the online portion, you'll be immersed into the larger world.  Now, how will this 'Online Action RPG' world differ from true MMOs?  I admit to being confused.  Isn't his term just another way of saying 'a heavily combat-centric environment'?  Will it be largely instanced?  Smaller servers, meaning smaller populations?  I'm trying to figure out what he means by this and trying to seperate the two.  Anybody help me out here?

"First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me...Blow."--Ash, "Army of Darkness"

Comments

• angerrangerr Member Posts: 865

well first off the single player portion will not be offline, you allways will have to connect to their servers and you will still see other people around .

and from what i understand this game's combat will be way different than your standard rpg style combat, probably closer to fps style combat..... so thats why they are calling it a mmoag.....because it will be action packed game play.

not sure about their server pop size or instancing, i dont recall reading anything about that but i have read alot of faq's on alot of games lol.....i hope this was some help for ya ::::02::

read this http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1044304#post1044304 then come back and talk to me about the vanguard/soe fiasco.....

• mcwbmw420mcwbmw420 Member Posts: 2
    They are estimating an average 0f 1500 per server, but have said that 3-4 thousand wouldn't be unreasonable for peak hours.  I think Gaute mainly meant that it wont be a typical mmo, and if you read up on the forums, I think you'll agree.