Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best MMO's of all time

Comments

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

1. Star Wars Galaxies Pre CU

2. Everquest pre Luclin/PoP

3. Planetside

4. World of Warcraft Pre Battlegrounds when all the PVP was in the world

5. Everquest 2 beta (when you could actually find groups it was so amazing for a mostly grouped based MMO)

6. EVE Online

I never played them but they get massive praise;

- AC

- DAOC

- UO

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

There's no way that whatever was #10 on my list would be good enough to deserve a place on a "Best MMO's of all time" list.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Wish I could list a full 10 :( 

1) UO 

2) GW2

3) EverQuest Online Adventures

4) FFXI 

5) Shadow Bane

6) DAoC

Thats sadly it. 

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

EQ2

SWG

UO

WoW up until Cataclysm

Runescape

GW2

Vanguard

LotRO

Fallen Earth

EVE

edit: These are not all in order of where I see them 1 through 10. They are simply a list of my top 10 in random order.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• tomato_kwantomato_kwan Member Posts: 44

Asheron's call2

AO

WoW before the panda hit

DAoC

Rift (although I no longer play it and consider it pretty boring now)

I can't make a top 10 list.....there were some titles that I really enjoyed

(CoH/E&B etc) but they don't really go into the greatest of all time category.

I do not miss the endless death runs of EQ or the hour after hour camping for sometimes nothing.

Nor I miss the endless "LF2M scholo" spam in vanilla WoW.

• ZharreZharre Member UncommonPosts: 80

Very, very roughly in this order, and I am not saying these are the best, but they are my personal best:

City of Heroes (The only game I've been playing since it was in beta. I have SO MUCH HATE for NCSoft shutting it down even though it was still successful, simply so they could replace it with crap Blade & Soul!)

EverQuest (Mostly pre-PoP. I wonder if the type of community it fostered will ever be seen again.)

Dark Age of Camelot (The only game I have truly, truly enjoyed PvP in.)

The Secret World (It's still early in this game's existence, but it's 'differentness' has really appealed to me!)

EverQuest 2

Star Wars Galaxies (Pre-NGE.)

Lord of the Rings Online

Vanguard

...granted, it misses one to make a list of 10, but those are only my personal 'best' or 'favorites'. I have lots more that I really enjoyed, but couldn't rank them honestly (Warhammer, Auto Assault, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Anarchy Online) so um, maybe they all take up spot #10?

• ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172

1. DC Universe Online (still subscribing to this amazing game)

2. WoW (until Cataclysm)

3. Chronicles of Spellborn (i pray every night to whatever gods will listen, that this game returns)

4. EQ 1 (until Gates of Discord)

5. Shadowbane (until all the bugs/inbalances made me ragequit)

6. Myst Online: Uru Live (buggy yes, but very fun for its brief life. just had that "magic" that is so special to the Myst world)

.... thats all the MMOs worth being on the list.  EQ2 was/is a shitstorm of suck. and  i played GW2 for 2 weeks and lost all interest - awesome art, world design, animations though. AoC had promise but meh. hated all the instances in Anarchy Online.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

1. UO

2. EQ

3. DAOC

4. VANGUARD

5. EQ2

6. WOW

7. LOTRO

8. TSW

9. AOC

10. RIFT

These are the best i've played in the last ten years, their have been many i've played that have been below par imo.

Swtor and Guild Bores 2 plus Dark&Light to name but a few.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Reehay

1. DC Universe Online (still subscribing to this amazing game)

2. WoW (until Cataclysm)

3. Chronicles of Spellborn (i pray every night to whatever gods will listen, that this game returns)

4. EQ 1 (until Gates of Discord)

5. Shadowbane (until all the bugs/inbalances made me ragequit)

.... thats all the MMOs worth being on the list.   i played GW2 for 2 weeks and lost all interest - awesome art, world design, animations though. AoC had promise but meh. hated all the instances in Anarchy Online... guess those are my "honorable mentions"

I was in beta for two years even though the beta was shut down for long periods of time, i liked the game alot.

• Raxxo82Raxxo82 Member UncommonPosts: 150

1. EQ2 (before auto pilot)..

2. EvE

3. EQ

4. SWG

5. Mortal Online

6.  LoTRo

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

EQ and EQ2 gave me my best mmo experiences

but I enjoy most retail mmos

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

1. Anarchy Online

2. Ryzom

3. WoW vanilla (I just felt sick while doing that)

4. The Secret World

5. Age of Conan

6. Rift

I'm still subscribed to AO and TSW.  Ryzom I was subbed to for about a year, give or take and loved the freedom I had with the game....pop was really small though.  WoW Vanilla was a great experience and the raiding was intense.  After that though, they dumbed everything down step by step.  TSW I love because it has story, exploration, a grindless crafting system and it's the kind of world I've always liked...."altered modern/futuristic".  AoC was just ALOT of fun.  Loved the combat, exploration, dungeons, raids, expansion, but I've played too much of it, so might revisit, but not now.  Rift is just a solid game all around....I can go back to it whenever and have fun.  Fishing is the best part of Rift.

the list of MMO's Ive played is pretty long but I'll give some of the others that I wouldn't put on this list:  LOTRO, Matrix Online, WAR, GW1, GW2, Champions Online, DC Universe (although I considered it...it is a great game, but replay value kills it), EQ1, EQ2, Vanguard, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Fallen Earth (would be great if they didnt have an NGE type combat system...shutters), Planetside 1, Horizons, Tabula Rasa....I probably forgot some, but I got most of em.

Unfortunately, never played UO, AC1, AC2, EVE or DAOC enough to actually be able to say I'd like them so take my list with a grain of salt.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by Cheesum
    Originally posted by kaiser3282
    Originally posted by Cheesum
    There're four pages and not one line of discussion. I understand why some forums forbid their users from making "list" threads.

What discussion should there be? People trolling eachother trying to convince everyone else that they dont really like those games that they listed?

Maybe people should explain their preferences a bit? List threads are kind of sterile; I can't believe anyone would actively read all the listed replies with little to no explanation.

Pfft..... people don't read listed replies, they just post, you should know that by now.

Actually, some folks did provide some explaination as to their choices, but I didn't care, was just sort of curious as to whether or not their choices agreed with mine.  Glad to see lots of folks enjoyed DAOC...maybe one day some smart developer will take notice.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

1. SWG

2. SWG

3. SWG

4. SWG

5. SWG

6. Tabula Rasa

7. Tabula Rasa

8. Tabula Rasa

9. Global Agenda

0. Global Agenda

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

WoW vanilla examples:

a) mining: falling through the world. being stuck on mining animation for 30 mins. 

b) pvp: zerg rush in TM, was fun but surely useless. realy good at late nite/early morning when the zerg had to sleep.

c) raids: MC was patched, eg... no raids in vanilla.

d) rogues: whooohooo. been rogue, sure i liked it :)

e) undead: nerfed already, no real undead anymore! (not shackable, no more unlimited breath under water and so on)

f) ping: 30 mins within the first week during main peak. which is basically a ping of ... errrr.... 180000 :)

point of this post: you guys surely have a lovely memory 

@topic:

planetside,

planetside2.

uh and wow (all expension, you dont do "till then"'s. either it's among the best or not) :P

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by Thane

WoW vanilla examples:

a) mining: falling through the world. being stuck on mining animation for 30 mins. 

b) pvp: zerg rush in TM, was fun but surely useless. realy good at late nite/early morning when the zerg had to sleep.

e) undead: nerfed already, no real undead anymore! (not shackable, no more unlimited breath under water and so on)

f) ping: 30 mins within the first week during main peak. which is basically a ping of ... errrr.... 180000 :)

@topic:

planetside,

planetside2.

uh and wow (all expension, you dont do "till then"'s. either it's among the best or not) :P

It's understood that MC was patched...same with Zul'Gurrub, but it was still a part of Vanilla WoW...and was awesome.  The bugs didnt bother me...they never bother me in any game if Im having fun.  

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

It's kind of sad that no one is struggling to come up with ten games (or more) to list, isn't it?

(10 games means you average, at maximum, 18 months)

Also means that at least some of the titles you're listing, even in your own eyes, are rather dubious choices for 'best'.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360

1. Asheron's Call

2. EQ

3. UO

4. SWG (pre-NGE)

5. WoW

6. TSW

7. DAOC

8. Eve

9. LOTRO

10. Anarchy Online

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

1. DAoC pre-expansions

2. WoW (yep, even now it is still one of my favorite games despite not really liking MoP that much)

3. EVE

4. EQ series

5. GW series

6. UO free shards (chose one on a PvP free-for-all, full loot server since I missed out on UO pre-Trammel).

7. Anarchy Online

8. SWG pre-NGE

9. CoH

10. Rift tied with Vanguard

Pre-expac DAoC was such fun back in the day. It had a great community that pulled together when the enemy realms attacked keeps/relics, absolutely great RvR that has never been beat, and an ardent fanbase. Just nothing will ever come close to the magic of 2001-2003 DAoC. It was not my first MMO, but it definitely stands out as one of the most positive experiences I ever had in an MMO.

SWG pre-NGE would have rated higher, but a lot of its very good things are balanced out or completely cancelled out by the bad. It was both a really good and absolutely awful game.

EVE would have been number 1 but some of CCP's antics in the past have soured me to the game (the cheating devs, the 60 USD monocle, etc.).

Edit - ok to elaborate, since some ppl don't like the fact that we are just listing. I already mentioned a bit why I think DAoC is perhaps the best MMO to have been released in my eyes: great community, realm pride, a reliance on others to make the game fun but content was available to a lot of soloists, great RvR, and importantly, originally there was very little in the way of a treadmill. The best gear required dedicated crafters, but in that sense no raiding was required. The main emphasis of the endgame was RvR and community.

EVE is on there because it is one of the only sandboxes to have made it without having serious issues. It has a lot of longetivity, again, if you become part of the community. It is a solid game, made by an indie dev, and pretty unique, even though it was released a while ago.

I don't think I need to say why WoW is on my list. I still think it is one of the greatest games released in the MMO genre, whether it had 100k players or 10 million. It is polished for an MMO, immersive, solid, but unfortunately undergoing dilution so that it caters to more types of people.

EQ1 is on there because it was the first graphical MUD and I think it deserves credit. It was also fun, though seriously flawed. EQ2 was a good game too in its own right, though considerably less revolutionary.

GW series is on there because it is in my view the best non-sub MMO series on the market. It is one of the only ones that does not attempt to rip off your wallet. Plus GW1 did bring in some nice systems that didn't really exist prior to its release (interesting take on crafting, on class set ups, skill set ups, etc.) some of which made their way in GW2.

UO was revolutionary, but I mention free shards because players and fans of UO modded the game to suit different playstyles and tastes.

AO, yet another revolutionary game and the first first person RPG based in a sci-fi world. The atmosphere was outstanding, the professions were so cool and creative, and the game was the first to have personal flying mounts, instances, admist many things. However the game was deeply flawed, which is why I did not give it a higher score.

SWG I already mentioned.

CoH, a great game that really catered to 3D in the sense that it really required the use of full 3D with special movement such as flying, superspeed, super jumping, etc. There were other novel ideas such as no crafting, no loot, huge amounts of customization not just through looks but also the background of each character. It was a bit like being in a comic book, and the entire gameworld was in a massive city.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

Originally posted by Thane

WoW vanilla examples:

@topic:

planetside,

planetside2.

Yes, WoW had some bugs in it, but nothing seriously game-breaking by the time I got my hands on it, which was almost at release... maybe a month after.

I did like PS1 but it was very, very, very sluggish for me and there were tons of bugs in it too. Some of the bugs were nasty, and others could be exploited. At times PS1 could be amazing fun, at others it was a serious exercise of frustration that had me logging off in annoyance, usually due to the game mechanics than losing. When I started to log off more annoyed than satisfied, I knew it was time to move on. I have not tried PS2, but I seriously hope it runs more smoothly than PS1 did....

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by MurlockDance

Yes, WoW had some bugs in it, but nothing seriously game-breaking by the time I got my hands on it, which was almost at release... maybe a month after.

depends what server you rolled on  -- server lag was a primary influence to the bugs

on Whisperwind server, the wetlands boat was dropping players to their deaths (in deep sea) for 6 months

news article from January 2005  (2 months after release)

World of Warcraft wracked by problems

http://www.gamespot.com/news/world-of-warcraft-wracked-by-problems-6116566

'Vanishing boats" (just one "no one could avoid" bug) persisted well into Burning Crusade. Opening-day server instabilities plagued the game for at least the first six months.

Revisionist history backfilling has always taken place along with the golden visions of Vanilla past.  :shrug:  That's to be expected from a game that was so many people's 'first'. 

He's not  wrong suggesting a lot of selective memory is being applied.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Nadia

depends what server you rolled on  -- server lag was a primary influence to the bugs

on Whisperwind server, the wetlands boat was dropping players to their deaths (in deep sea) for 6 months

news article from January 2005  (2 months after release)

World of Warcraft wracked by problems

http://www.gamespot.com/news/world-of-warcraft-wracked-by-problems-6116566

Originally posted by Icewhite

'Vanishing boats" (just one "no one could avoid" bug) persisted well into Burning Crusade. Opening-day server instabilities plagued the game for at least the first six months.

Revisionist history backfilling has always taken place along with the golden visions of Vanilla past.  :shrug:  That's to be expected from a game that was so many people's 'first'. 

He's not  wrong suggesting a lot of selective memory is being applied.

I was on a PvP server that kept rolling back, so yes there were problems. I fell a few times through the floor in Scarlet Monastery, had the continuous loot bug (which still exists), the mob evasion bug (which still exists), being attacked by invisible mobs, etc.

I think you guys forget just how buggy MMOs were back then. The bugs in WoW were really small and few in comparison. I was so excited to play a warlock because the pet actually did what I asked it to for the most part in comparison to my engineer in AO. I am serious... put an engineer pet on follow in AO and wander around some place in Shadow Lands and compare it to wandering around with a pet class in WoW. Do the same in DAoC and I think you will see what I am getting at.

Was WoW perfect? No, heck it still has bugs. But it was even in Vanilla very far from horrible, unplayable, crippled by bugs like most of the other MMOs even years after their releases.

Was WoW perfect? No, heck it still has bugs. But it was even in Vanilla very far from horrible, unplayable, crippled by bugs like most of the other MMOs even years after their releases.

Ah, there's the misunderstanding.  There exist more than two alternatives "bug free" and "unplayable".  Discussing that A is not applicable, we do not automatically imply that B is.

Given people's (as you noted) individual ranges of bug tolerance, their 'unplayable' thresholds must also be individual.

Originally posted by Icewhite

Ah, there's the misunderstanding.  There exist more than two alternatives "bug free" and "unplayable".  Discussing that A is not applicable, we do not automatically imply that B is.

Given people's (as you noted) individual ranges of bug tolerance, their 'unplayable' thresholds must also be individual.

I can hardly wait for the day that a game that is not ProgressQuest has no bugs in it.