Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WAC news update

KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Long story made short, Garage Games has released Torque 3D 1.2 as free open-source under the MIT license.  I'm not a fan of T3D, or at least I wasn't, but the current version of the engine is pretty damned impressive.

In order for my work to be available for source distribution* I'm writing a new MMO framework from scratch.  Target is fully seamless world with no instancing, player capacity of roughly 1,000 per realm, and 16 square kilometer world size.  Combat is to be fully aimed first person perspective with AOE, projectile, and melee combat.

Here's a pre-alpha screenshot (click here for full rez)

Gameplay target for WAC is to be similar to console free-roaming RPGs, with influence from TES Morrowind.  Emphasis will be on exploring / adventuring, with minimal questing / storyline.  Character progression will be flex-class and skill based.

* long term plan is to offer the framework under license to other Indie developers.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Comments

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    tried this out a while back and would love to give the new engine  a go. Is there still a way to test it out?
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Servers are down.  Pretty much everything at this point is experimental.

Just trying to come up with a combination of graphics and gameplay that works.  I'm not 100% sure I'm going to stay with this engine, but so far it's looking decent.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

wondered what happened to this, Forums was gone and your name changed