Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fishy?

erikk3189erikk3189 Member Posts: 306
Sounds and looks more like a scam then anything.

Comments

• smiley123smiley123 Member UncommonPosts: 174
    I don't see how, Chris Roberts made Wing Commander. I think he knows how to make a good space game.
  • snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Its really a sad state we live in these days were everything we cant comprehend or understand is not met by the desire to learn but is assumed to be "a scam".
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

i don't know about a scam. they probably will have some sort of game.... just not sure how good.  the problem is that they are promising the universe (hehe) and asking for money even before they have any sort of concrete product.

big promesis are the food of fools.

i wish them all the best of luck but, like a said in one other thread, they'll get my money when they have an actual game to sell me.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Last time I did any kind of pre-buy/giving of money before I even saw how the game was gonna play, it was Xsyon.  Won't make the mistake twice...although I do hope SC thrives (if) when it comes out.
  • TyrianPrimeTyrianPrime Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by erikk3189

Yes it's a scam, you got that right, it looks like one, so let's just all move along, thanks for pointing out, the public should be told, and open their eyes...let's get out of here, thanks! Roberts the Fishy...and all the rest of the MMO Developers were not, a bit? Yea, save your souls, and leave this fishy scam, before it's too late!

Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
    Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    I'm curious as to why it is a scam. Surely you have evidence?
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

Sounds like someone needs to go back to school.

Ask your teacher to teach you to THINK before you TYPE.

It should make your life on the internets much easier since people will not think you're a complete belend.

..Cake..

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

It's not fishy at all.

I had the privilege to play Wing Commander and loved it.

This game seems interesting enough, I might actually support it

• Stealthman06Stealthman06 Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Originally posted by sgel

It should make your life on the internets much easier since people will not think you're a complete belend.

But then these forums will be empty :(

MMORPG Forums: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

• WhackoWhacko Member UncommonPosts: 137

Why seek corporate investors when you can easily in this day and age get the social lemmings to react?

I loved WC, but for me just forking out cash for a Vision rubs me the wrong way, honestly I would rather donate my cash to a better cause.

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516

You are joking, right? A game made by a renown developer in the industry, which showed almost a dozen of minutes of IN-GAME REALTIME rendering by CryEngine 3 (which they have evidently licensed), and demonstrated for the first time at GDC Online no less, not in someone's basement....

Whether or not it will be as good as they say (and we hope) remains to be seen, of course. But to even think of labeling this as a scam is laughably dumb.

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by Whacko

Why seek corporate investors when you can easily in this day and age get the social lemmings to react?

I loved WC, but for me just forking out cash for a Vision rubs me the wrong way, honestly I would rather donate my cash to a better cause.

Thats cool, and its a view. I threw 30 bucks at it. I get the game in 2014. Or I'll get something, if its a single player game like his wing commander, I'm good with that, it cost me 30 bucks. If I get a wing commander game with freelancer/ privateer aspects, I'm still good with that cause it only cost me 30 bucks. If I get his grandioso vision, I'm good with that, cause it cost me 30 bucks.

Honestly, I like the guy, and I would have donated regardless, cause I agree with what he's trying to do. If he fails, I get a refund(minus the 4$ or whatever it said for transaction cost). Not that I would care, it's 30 bucks. If he succeeds, I get a game in a genre I love.

30 bucks now, or 60 bucks when it comes out? Thats how I looked at it(since I doubt games will be cheaper two years from now than the 59.99 bs they charge now) In fact, here is what I got for a 30 dollar "donation" even though technically I can justify calling it a preorder in my mind. Hell, I've sold Beta keys for more in the past....than I bought this for lol

• *The finished game for your PC with your RSI Aurora spaceship ready to fly.
    • *Exclusive access to the Alpha and Beta
    • *1,000 credits
    • White Citizens Card (shipping within the US free, $5 for international - Delivery Est: Xmas 2012)
    Part of me is actually pondering upping my "donation to 60 bucks" for
    • Title: Bounty Hunter
    • *The finished game for your PC with your Origin 300i spaceship ready to fly
    • *Exclusive access to the Alpha and Beta
    • *Digital game soundtrack
    • *Digital map of the game universe
    • *Digital 42-page Star Citizens manual
    • *2,000 credits
    • Start the game with a deluxe Origin 300i spacecraft
    • Green Citizens Card (shipping within the US free, $5 for international - Delivery Est: Xmas 2012)
    This is less than I paid for SWTOR digital delux(It's cool, I got a flare gun in game?!?), and I would be getting more than I've gotten in most upgraded crap packs I've bought this year, for games I ended up despising.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

SWTOR?

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    This project is as close to a sure thing as you can get, this is Chris Roberts, anyone thinking scam in connection with him clearly didnt play any of his games during the 90s, all of which are among the greatest PC games of all time. Wing Commander, Priveteer, Freelancer, these are legends, and all he is doing here is combining them all with mmo elements, in his usual cutting edge production style. Roberts minus the publisher bull that screwed up his later pojects, this will be epic.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

lol troll

Originally posted by ste2000

SWTOR?

Actually....NO

Fell for that already.

Sometimes people need to do the right thing.

Tell ya what STE2000,  if you understand what is meant by a better cause then you'll appreciate the gesture.

And it's not a scam, it's a way to seek financial support but with a twist, sounds like he reaches a goal then he'll secure the loan so to speak.

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251
    In fact, the only thing that doesn't make sense to me, is why he starts giving you the game for donations at 30 dollars. I would have probably paid up to 60 for it. Don't get me wrong, I'll preorder a game for 30 dollars in a heartbeat, but if he would have been smarter like EA, he could shaken me upside down for some more money, and gotten 60 out of me:)
  • skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Why seek corporate investors when you can easily in this day and age get the social lemmings to react?I loved WC, but for me just forking out cash for a Vision rubs me the wrong way, honestly I would rather donate my cash to a better cause.
    Because when you would have actually read anything about star citizen you wouldn't just trolololol in here and ask the obvious question why he asks for crowd funding.

It's clearly explained.

Originally posted by skydiver12

Because when you would have actually read anything about star citizen you wouldn't just trolololol in here and ask the obvious question why he asks for crowd funding.

It's clearly explained.

Think out of the box..

it's clearly explained I agree, however dig deep and understand the concept.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by skydiver12

It's clearly explained.

Think out of the box..

it's clearly explained I agree, however dig deep and understand the concept.

Games take money to make, either A. Secure an investment from big whigs who will tell you how to make your game.

B. Secure investiments from the public who want the product you've outlined already, leaving you in control of your development process and the end result.  

Seems really obvious why he chose what he did.

PS Did you know tin foil hats would actually make it EASIER to read your mind?  

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by Stealthman06

From what I've seen since registering that might be a good thing lol.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by GolbezTheLion
    Originally posted by Stealthman06

From what I've seen since registering that might be a good thing lol.

If you don't like the soup stop eatting it.

No one is forcing anyone to be here. 

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

This guy has already delivered several games that I have thoroughly enjoyed in my early gaming career, so I have reason to trust that he will deliver here as well.

In addition to that, they already have a very impressive-looking tech demo that is hosted on the site. You can already see the graphics engine, ship/character designs and a very impressive-looking physics engine. If the game was a 'scam', do you really think they would have created all of this real content to show us? Come on man... 

• JojinJojin Member UncommonPosts: 120

I don't think it is a scam, but it does put all the risk upon those who are putting their money upfront for something later.

There is no way to gurantee honesty for those doing projects; community funded projects are still too new and thus people have not developed a reputation for delivering.  I guess the worst part of these is how they make a large pitch to appeal to the dreams of an audiance, then ask for money up front.  It is very much along the lines of the old, "You to could be a millionaire."

I will be more convinced when they approach the community with the intelligent proposals, researched viablity and stratigic plan as they would have to do with an actual investor.  Then, as informed individuals, we can asses a pitch and it's potential for success.  Altough, I would imagine most of these community fundings wouldn't get as much when held up to the combined knowledge and scruitiny of the collective community they are wanting funding from.

Also, since this is MMORPG, the MMO aspect of the game won't be developed unless he get 5 million pledged.

Stretch Goal 3 
    $5+ million Pledged

• Increased Community Updates!
      • Monthly Dev. Team Webcasts
      • Monthly Town Hall Meeting with Chris Roberts
    • Star Citizens will get to play in the multiplayer Alpha (12 months)
    • Creation of Professional Mod Tools provided free to players
    • Star Citizens will receive access to the Wing Commander/Squadron 42 campaign (18 months)
      • Deep Storyline
      • On-Line Ship Marketplace
      • Max Missions
    •  Star Citizens will receive access to the Wing Commander/Star Citizen universe for on-line persistent play (30 months)
      • Privateer-like gameplay
      • Multiple Star Systems to Explore
  • freejackmackfreejackmack Member Posts: 378
    It is either a well thought out scam, maybe the best of our age, or the greatest thing to happen to the mmo world ever. Either way we will findout in a couple years.