Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there going to be a skill point cap or can you learn every skill?

Trying to find this out. If there is no skill cap like the first game I will not be playing this go around. Anyone know?

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
Subscription = Actual content updates!

Comments

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045

I think and hope the "Role" system will put an end to training every skill.

The game will include four (4): Elementalist (mage), Primalist (priest), Warrior (fighter), and Skirmisher (ranger).

"The skill system for is new, but it builds on the previous design. The process of maximizing each skill's potential is similar to the previous game, but now you also get to pick a role. This will enhance the diversity between characters, and make small and large-scale PvP a lot more strategic."

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

I'm pretty sure you can learn every skill.

However you can only use so many skills at one time.  Roles limit which skills you can use.

That is my understanding of the current system.

• langstondoglangstondog Member UncommonPosts: 20
    I really hope this includes crafting as well.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    You can swap role on the fly out of combat, roles aren't classes
  • jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Not sure how that swapping on the fly would work though.  Going from a heavy armor-wearing warrior type to a fire/earth mage would require changing of armor, if I'm understanding things correctly.  Roles are more gear specific it seems.  I guess you could always slap on a robe and start pewpewing...

Originally posted by jdlamson75

Not sure how that swapping on the fly would work though.  Going from a heavy armor-wearing warrior type to a fire/earth mage would require changing of armor, if I'm understanding things correctly.  Roles are more gear specific it seems.  I guess you could always slap on a robe and start pewpewing...

You could easily macro a gear swap, but you'd be like hitting the Jackpot when ganked. :)

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by Hancakes
    Originally posted by jdlamson75

You could easily macro a gear swap, but you'd be like hitting the Jackpot when ganked. :)

Heh - no kidding.  Think I'll pick one per foray and stick with it.  No need to donate more gear than necessary  =D

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

Theres a cool doen for each role. So no switching gear.

And the cool down will be hours and hours :)

• TopherpunchTopherpunch Member UncommonPosts: 86

Not only will there be a cooldown, but you cannot do it in combat. Switching specs "on the fly" will not be happening. While you can learn every skill, you will have to be in that role to use those skills. Furthermore you will want to have that gear in your bag. I don't see people walking around with multiple sets just so they can switch during combat, unless they go and hide to exit combat, than comeback and fight in their main role. I personally would like to lose the least amount of gear as possible. An example would be me carrying an extra set for my warrior spec, but leveling my elementalist spec, I could lose my crappy elementalist gear, or both my elementalist gear and my warrior gear if things go sour. I guess personal preference.

I am not sure how the crafting system will work though. I am hopeing they do allow people to be every craft, and I don't think it will effect much of the actual PvP. In my opinion I think everyone should be able to harvest everything, and if they continue to only allow one character per account they are going to allow people to be every craft that is offered. I mean they have too.

Come check out what I have to say on my blog http://civilgamer.com

Also check out http;//agonasylum.com for Darkfall player trading and stories forums

• TymorisTymoris Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Ah so they are following the EVE online mindset, where you can learn to fly every ship but you can only use one at a time. That would be very good if they implement it and it will add to the longevity I think

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386
    Originally posted by Tymoris
    Ah so they are following the EVE online mindset, where you can learn to fly every ship but you can only use one at a time. That would be very good if they implement it and it will add to the longevity I think

I really dont think theres much eve mindset invilved with this.

Also, we dont quite know how mixing gear will effect skills.  For instance in 1.0 people would put on light armor for the most part, then a featherd heavy helmet (reduced encumberance witht he feather enchant) as well as some off items in heavy.  The goal was to get as much defense without killing magic.  In 2.0 no one knows how the gear really will work and if people will be able to hybrid of some sort.

Needless to say the goal of the new mechanics is to prevent everyone from being the same soilder of one with a real need to have maxed out magic skills, archery, melee and heals ect to compete and need to be able to execute them as needed in one encounter on the fly...which was very complext to do with 1.0's gui granted your abilities are based ont he weapon equipped and there was no easy way to swap weapons mid combat...without a 3rd party macro.

Personally i despise the skill cap system.  It creates a scenario of rolling alts, which i HATE.  I agree there needs to be a mechanic to keep people from being the best archer/tank/melee/mage/healer all at once, i just dont want to have to "be careful" of what i do in game as to not over skill something...or worse wait for skills to degrade, regrind skill to do something like craft, then degrade then regrind combat.  That to me is retarded and it saddens me that the only easy way out is to make people roll alts with a skill cap...

Im very concerned with longevity with this game.  Removing grind was removing progression, im not sure a game based on clans seiging holdings and ganking is going to be the best foundation for long term play, especially if everyone maxed on everything...you get a community that typically only logs on for the seiges when this happens, rather than staying logged in to progress further.  Either way it will be fun in the short term.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
           TOo bad they dont adopt the 700 point system like UO used....It was fun making builds that way......The DF1 way only encouraged rampant cheating, botting, and scripting so that is a bad idea.
    Originally posted by Theocritus
           TOo bad they dont adopt the 700 point system like UO used....It was fun making builds that way......The DF1 way only encouraged rampant cheating, botting, and scripting so that is a bad idea.

Couldnt agree more

• Wizlock23Wizlock23 Member UncommonPosts: 107

There has not been enough info put out to tell u for sure--- Almost all info in this thread that was not directly linked from AV (one person that i seen in this entire thread actually had accurate info) is false , or just plain made up from the little info they know about DF1 and the blog about DF:UW --which i can tell u does not have any of the info some people are going on about .

not trying to be rude, but why do i see the same few people in all the DF threads coming up with random ass info that AV has never said anything about .