Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

anyone else with this issue (classes)?

blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

So, I love the background, the lore, the game mechanics are ok (nothing stellar really, just a more polished version of a mix-mash of several dozen mmos really imo...hey, that's what ppl love about RIFT right?). 

My main issue with GW2, and the reason I'm finding myself not caring if I log in at all anymore, is that after trying all the classes to atleast mid 30's with 2 elites unlocked, is that I find all the classes boring as hell to play.  There is not a single class in the game I even come close to enjoying whatsoever.   I found more enjoyment in playing an Arsenel BH in SWTOR than any class in GW2 (yeah, pretty bad).  

Anyone else feeling the classes are bland/uninspired/outright boring to play?

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by blackthornn

So, I love the background, the lore, the game mechanics are ok (nothing stellar really, just a more polished version of a mix-mash of several dozen mmos really imo...hey, that's what ppl love about RIFT right?). 

My main issue with GW2, and the reason I'm finding myself not caring if I log in at all anymore, is that after trying all the classes to atleast mid 30's with 2 elites unlocked, is that I find all the classes boring as hell to play.  There is not a single class in the game I even come close to enjoying whatsoever.   I found more enjoyment in playing an Arsenel BH in SWTOR than any class in GW2 (yeah, pretty bad).  

actually having exact opposite issue.. can't find a class i dislike. They all have very differn't playstyles and with traits and utility skills the higher up you get the more playstyles you can choose from.. in swtor i had the issue where no classes were fun.. BH and IA was for a little bit but once you find out how little you can customize the class it looses all it's appeal. swtor you basically had only a couple playstyles depending on what talents you took and that's really it, The trees themselves offered only one or two new abilities and aside from that you were stuck with same set all the time. GW2 with traits, sigils, runes, utility skills, gives a ton of options per class and makes it a ton more fun in PVP as well since you never know what build the other playing is running

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

So, I love the background, the lore, the game mechanics are ok (nothing stellar really, just a more polished version of a mix-mash of several dozen mmos really imo...hey, that's what ppl love about RIFT right?). My main issue with GW2, and the reason I'm finding myself not caring if I log in at all anymore, is that after trying all the classes to atleast mid 30's with 2 elites unlocked, is that I find all the classes boring as hell to play.  There is not a single class in the game I even come close to enjoying whatsoever.   I found more enjoyment in playing an Arsenel BH in SWTOR than any class in GW2 (yeah, pretty bad).  Anyone else feeling the classes are bland/uninspired/outright boring to play?

Not me personally, I enjoy it. But when I don't enjoy something I go elsewhere, it's pretty simple. I certainly don't seek validation from complete strangers.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

I agree to a point.  For me it isn't that the classes are boring but the game in general.  I'll keep the game on my laptop and log in every now and again, maybe all I really need is a break from it for a while.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

i have also tried pretty much all classes (except warrior) and have yet to find one that truly sucks me in. for me they all feel bland because they all do the same thing: mainly dps.

sure the guardian is more tanky with heals, the thief is stealthy with high burst, the mesmerer is all about cc, the engeneer is sort of like a shaman with it's turrets...but in the end they all end up feeling like a pretty generic dps class.

they besically feel like a dps version of many other classes i've played in other mmos. it's like having 6 slightly different hybrid dps builds....where is the diversity? 

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

The thief was my favorite but the others were "scoop my eyes out with a spoon" boring. The skills for each class are just carbon copies of each other with different graphics. Totally predicable and totally boring. At least the thief had a few moves that made watching him more interesting.

However, my poor thief wasn't enough to keep me playing.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    The class concepts are fine, it's just around level 30 you start to look for the  top of the mountain, and all you see is 3-4 more passives, and to get to those each one of the passives you have to grind 10 levels of 1% increase to X. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Maby It's not the classes per say It might be people are used to getting new skills as they progress to max level in other MMOs that hinder you to enjoy your classes in GW2.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Most interesting I have found is Thief so far.  But it's so squishy that it makes you have to work much harder than say a Warrior or Guardian. 

I've had more fun with classes from other games.  But I think, for me, it's more the lack of character progression past the early levels.

• SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554

I agree with TS, GW2....just gets really boring.  The classes are boring, the skill system is boring, the slot skills are stupid as you can only use 3 of the 3 dozen or so in game at one time and only 1 elite skill at a time.

GW2 is full of restrictions, which is why i hate themeparks.  But i will say they did an excellent job on the world itself, it seems the only enjoyment i get from GW2 is exploring the world and enjoying the scenery as everything else from combat to crafting, from armor to weapons...really sucks.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

I like all the classes I've played so far for a decent amount of time - Engineer, Warrior, Guardian. Mesmer.

Changing weapons and utility skills is key - for example engineer turrets is quite a pet base class but a elixir/weapon kit/weapon kit is quite different beast.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

I think the main problem with GW2 getting boring is that after you gain the elise skill, you're basically done with the skill progression. There might be one of the 30-point elite skills you want, but before you can get your hands on that one...

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Reizla

I think the main problem with GW2 getting boring is that after you gain the elise skill, you're basically done with the skill progression. There might be one of the 30-point elite skills you want, but before you can get your hands on that one...

That would be true if you use the same skills all the way.

You may, but it is not only more efficient but also more pleasent to keep changing the skills and weapons and find new ways to use them.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

For me it was not problem of dislike.  I did not dislike any class. It was a problem that I did not like any of it either.

I think it was because I did not like combat overall, same was in TSW - so maybe I prefer classic big number of skills after all?

I also did not like character development.    

Overally GW2 what it is supposed to do - it does well.  I think that most people that dislike it or get bored fast it because it is not TYPE of mmorpg they can like (esp. long-term).

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Nope, having a hard time dragging myself away from my Mesmer to level up my Ranger, but I love the way all the classes work. Some are not exactly my style - Warrior / Engineer, but I can still appreciate how fun they are after playing around with them in PvP.

People saying 'they saw the end at 30' - you didnt. You saw what skills you had by then, but you didnt even come close to mastering them. Orr is a pretty unforgiving place, if you havent mastered your class you will be a corpse most of the time.

I dont understand how having Fireball 1, Fireball 2, Fireball 3 and 3 useless hotbars would make character progression more fulfilling? I much prefer GW2s system, where the hotbar is full of useful skills that are meant to be used situationally, weapon swapping, and meaningful traits and gear choices.

Traits make a huge difference to playstyle, it isnt just a gimmick like in other games, or a 'one viable spec only' game.