Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

C cp is cheap with expansions

shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126
Been playing eve for years and why it only does small expansions??? Eve graphics are the same as before and all they do lately is spec ships or balance things. Basically making small subtlte changes. So every 6 months they do a small change. I would really like to see something huge and revolutionary added to eve. Ya know something that has hype like incarna was without the letdown

Comments

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Not sure why people are in the frame of mind that expansions have to be this huge groundbreaking "new" concept.

It's called an expansion for a reason.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    their expansion are also very cheap....err i mean free. stop complaining about free stuff.
  • RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    The expansions are small because your not paying for them.  Also if im not mistaken they are working on making your ships explorable. So afew small expansions is a good price for gaining a little bit more freedom of play.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445

it would be nice to have  a major expansion, but if you have been playing for years as you say, then you are an utter ned, as there is has been ongoing graphics and skin replacements going on  on an ongoing basis.

and as for changes sheeshe, theres nothing but changes here and there, as this is coming from a bittervet ( played since 3 days after launch)

i think personally the best way to get the game back on track is to eliminate the hoards of plex traders, period, in alot of ways EVE has gone from subscription based community to the buy to win crowd, and their particular mentalities since the introduction of buying plex.

couldnt carea  bit if you disagree or not, ive made and lost billions over the years, and have never bought 1 plex.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

1) They do more expansions on a more frequent basis than pretty much any other game

2) Theyre completely free, also unlike nearly any other game

3) They at least make some attempts to add actual new features / aspects to the game, even if they wind up not being very good. The standard expansion in most MMOs is equivalent to a new dungeon / zone that plays exactly the same as all the previous ones and doing something like moving skills around.

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Rayshe
    The expansions are small because your not paying for them.  Also if im not mistaken they are working on making your ships explorable. So afew small expansions is a good price for gaining a little bit more freedom of play.

EVE is a subscription game.  What do you mean the players aren't paying for them?  What does that sub money go for then?  We know it's not just server maintenance and bandwidth fees because that was debunked a long time ago.  In addition to the subs there is the sale of their game cash to supplement the revenue stream.

So why doesn't ccp put out expansive expansions?

Many other games are also subscription games. Nearly every one of them also charges you an additional fee on top of the subscription to get the expansion. In comparsion to the standard, EVE expansions are free.

BTW,  do you think companies shoot to just cover maintenance and bandwidth fees? How do you think they pay their employees? Let me guess.... you have a job somewhere where they just pay rent and upkeep on a building but dont pay you.

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

The recent changes they are making and have made improve the quality of life of the players subscribed to the game.

I'm interested in retrubution changes which were badly needed and the change that they are making towards PvE which will supposidely do away with fitting a ship for PvE specific content.

Those changes alone radically change the game as far as empire space goes.  Unfortunately CCPs plan is to herd players into null sec so this next expansion is a total waste of time, money, and resources.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

A large portion of their revenue is going to the creation of Dust514 and to a lessor extent WOD.

They stated some time ago they were going to stop adding half complete new functionality and spend more time cleaning up the content they've previously delivered.

Besides, what more are you really looking for?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353
    Originally posted by Kyleran

A large portion of their revenue is going to the creation of Dust514 and to a lessor extent WOD.They stated some time ago they were going to stop adding half complete new functionality and spend more time cleaning up the content they've previously delivered.Besides, what more are you really looking for? 

From the sounds of it another 10 levels and a new raid like most other mmo do
  • shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Eve is science fiction.. There are basically unlimited things u can add to the game. Why wait 6 months for ship balancing? I'm just saying I would like to see a groundbreaking expansion. One that will make u go ohh shyt I can't wait till this is released. So far I welcome the tweaks but my hype level ain't like a 10 more like a 4..their development team must be small.. Maybe I might understand the slow changes the game has made
    Also to comment to the guy above me most mmorpgs have a vast detailed world... Eve is nothing more than a ship that can go to different points on grid inside a zone... The background is basically wallpaper. Other expansions offer more zones and detailed interactive environments.. I mean the could at least update explosion animation. Eve is one of a kind and the unlimited progress in game makes it a never ending task so u never feel like u are complete.. For me that's a good thing
  • HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760
    Originally posted by shingoukieh
    Eve is science fiction.. There are basically unlimited things u can add to the game. Why wait 6 months for ship balancing? I'm just saying I would like to see a groundbreaking expansion. One that will make u go ohh shyt I can't wait till this is released. So far I welcome the tweaks but my hype level ain't like a 10 more like a 4..their development team must be small.. Maybe I might understand the slow changes the game has made

In your head what would be a ground breaking expansion that adds value to the current player experience of ships in space?

More planet interaction. Different planet types. Better Pve system. Dynamic event system. Different environments and structures. New soundtrack. Walk in stations. Better dynamic plexing. I pay for eve accounts when I play. I do most of way eve has to offer.. If I make 1.5 bil for the month if I get plex I'm left with little money to pvp in...puttin into perspective I die a few..so when I'm earning money I would like to somewhat enjoy that side too. If the things I mention ccp did I'm sure more players would play and the existing ones would enjoy it too..that's just what some things I thought of...I'm sure others might have even better ideas
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Been playing eve for years and why it only does small expansions??? Eve graphics are the same as before and all they do lately is spec ships or balance things. Basically making small subtlte changes. So every 6 months they do a small change. I would really like to see something huge and revolutionary added to eve. Ya know something that has hype like incarna was without the letdown

So let's see, we have two alternatives.

Option 1:

Now we get A,B

6 months later we get C & D. Issues with A & B can be addressed, and C&D can be balanced after A & B have been playtested

12 months later we get E & F. Issues with C & D can be addressed, and E&F can be designed after  A, B, C & D have been playtested

18 months later we get G & H. Issues with E & F can be addressed, and G&H can be designed after after A, B, C, D, E &F have been playtested

24 months later we get I, J & K. Issues with G & H can be addressed, and I, J & K can be designed after after A, B, C, D, E, F, G & H have been playtested

Option 2:

We wait

We wait another 6 months

We wait for 12 months

We wait for 18 months

After 2 years we get A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J & K all in one go. None of the new features have been designed with the benefit of having playtested other features. Plus we get charged $39.99 for the expansion because hey.

Why is option 2 better?

Give me liberty or give me lasers

Originally posted by Malcanis

So let's see, we have two alternatives.

Option 1:

Now we get A,B

6 months later we get C & D. Issues with A & B can be addressed, and C&D can be balanced after A & B have been playtested

12 months later we get E & F. Issues with C & D can be addressed, and E&F can be designed after  A, B, C & D have been playtested

18 months later we get G & H. Issues with E & F can be addressed, and G&H can be designed after after A, B, C, D, E &F have been playtested

24 months later we get I, J & K. Issues with G & H can be addressed, and I, J & K can be designed after after A, B, C, D, E, F, G & H have been playtested

Option 2:

We wait

We wait another 6 months

We wait for 12 months

We wait for 18 months

After 2 years we get A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J & K all in one go. None of the new features have been designed with the benefit of having playtested other features. Plus we get charged $39.99 for the expansion because hey.

Why is option 2 better?

Woah, careful there Malcanis. Using common sense to prove why what someone is complaining about is ridiculous just might break the internet.

Clearly option 2 is better because it lacks any of the logic behind what you posted and option 1 cannot be trolled and raged at.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

Lol, you mention the one this they actually HAVE done: All sub capital ship skins have been replaced over the last year.

But yes, in the same tiem Blizzard have given thier players Pandas, CCP have been cleaning up eve, bringing many, many much needed minor tweeks and updates to the game. I for one love what they have done during this time. I will grant you though that it is about time for them to bring out some major new features.

Personally I would like to see them do one tweek expansion and one feature expansion each year.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

I guess they could do a large expansion every two years and make player pay 39 bucks.

BTW they have updated their graphics. The planets, the space ships, the astroids, have all been updated at one time or another.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

CCP has lost it's magic.

They can no longer do things right nor they have a clear vision for game future and ability to get there.

Nothing lasts forever.

• ChramChram Member Posts: 91

What Malc said. Also, I would disagree on the "small change". Since Incarna, they have shelved the work on out of the blue features and focused on fixing broken things and making the game better. This was applauded by the layerbase at large. Recently more and more voices are grumbling that they would want to see something new, big and shiny and CCP is listening. I think the plan is to release Retribution (which is btw shaping up to be great so far), then have a summer expansion in the same vein and then a major expansion the next winter (source is just CSM hearsay and my speculation). Also, DUST will be integrated at some point and it could have a very large impact.

TLDR: Fear not, young gun, the time of Apocrypha style expansion may come yet again.

Originally posted by Hazelle

The recent changes they are making and have made improve the quality of life of the players subscribed to the game.

I'm interested in retrubution changes which were badly needed and the change that they are making towards PvE which will supposidely do away with fitting a ship for PvE specific content.

Those changes alone radically change the game as far as empire space goes.  Unfortunately CCPs plan is to herd players into null sec so this next expansion is a total waste of time, money, and resources.

You were doing really well in that post up until the last sentence when you suddenly went all :tinfoil:

Still, if that's what you're most worried about, you should vote for me for CSM8.

Here's why: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=26049

Summary: I believe that CCP should stop trying to pretend that hi-sec is just a starter area, and it shouldn't be the goal to "herd" players into lo-sec or 0.0 (although certainly lo-sec and 0.0 both need plenty of work to make them more attractive). Hi-sec is primarily populated by "convenience-orientated" players, and CCP should look to introduce high-end, high-risk, high-reward gameplay into an environment which suits people who don't have the time or the inclination to deal with the overhead of 0.0 life.

• JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430

they can't do "huge and revolutionary thing" in each expansion because anything that is added has to work with everything that exists. there is no obsolete content in EVE. 8 years old veteran still has reason to use cheapest frigate.

they used to do "huge and revolutionary" and game was (and still is, to an extent) full of systems/mechanics that don't work together. i'd rather see them do smaller things that actually work.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Your mistaken.

The expansion itself is huge,  but they release it in small bite's over 4/5 months.

This means you get regular updates that WORK as opposed to large updates which BREAK.

• CyraelCyrael Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

1) They do more expansions on a more frequent basis than pretty much any other game

2) Theyre completely free, also unlike nearly any other game

3) They at least make some attempts to add actual new features / aspects to the game, even if they wind up not being very good. The standard expansion in most MMOs is equivalent to a new dungeon / zone that plays exactly the same as all the previous ones and doing something like moving skills around.

This was pretty much all that needed to be said.

• ChramChram Member Posts: 91
    Originally posted by Malcanis
    Originally posted by Hazelle

You were doing really well in that post up until the last sentence when you suddenly went all :tinfoil:

Still, if that's what you're most worried about, you should vote for me for CSM8.

Here's why: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=26049

Summary: I believe that CCP should stop trying to pretend that hi-sec is just a starter area, and it shouldn't be the goal to "herd" players into lo-sec or 0.0 (although certainly lo-sec and 0.0 both need plenty of work to make them more attractive). Hi-sec is primarily populated by "convenience-orientated" players, and CCP should look to introduce high-end, high-risk, high-reward gameplay into an environment which suits people who don't have the time or the inclination to deal with the overhead of 0.0 life.

Wait mate, you really are running? What happened to all the ~can't be arsed~ ? But thinking about it, if you and James 315 got in as high sec reps, that would be truly glorious. :)

The RL issues that deterred me from running from CSM7 have been resolved (my dad is now officially Not Dying Of Cancer), so I feel free to run next year.