Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chris Roberts descibes the game in detail

Comments

• TyrianPrimeTyrianPrime Member UncommonPosts: 107
    As more of the word gets out that Chris Roberts has returned, the gaming community will go nuts like Gangnam Space Style!

Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
    Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

• freejackmackfreejackmack Member Posts: 378

If I understand correctly, their website lockedup because of all the hits it was getting and they had to get another site for the overflow.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by freejackmack

If I understand correctly, their website lockedup because of all the hits it was getting and they had to get another site for the overflow.

Yeah it was working fine until he announced the game at GDC yesterday. The fans have since DOS'd the site with millions of hits and brought it down. image

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488

I feel really excited about this. As soon as I saw the name "Chris Roberts"  I really started to pay attention. I absolutely loved his presentation, This looks very very promisiing. And yes there are still gamers that want a complex and immersive experience with our games ! right on man !

-Manaia 

• OmrieOmrie Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Goodie; but he doesn't seem to fly his own design very well. xD
  • IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

im kinda confused watching the GDC vid.. 

is he making a single player game.. or a MMO? O_o cause the ramble he gones on about his vision sounds like its a fully single player game :/ 

Originally posted by Ichmen

is he making a single player game.. or a MMO? O_o cause the ramble he gones on about his vision sounds like its a fully single player game :/ 

You will be able to play it Single Player, Private Server Multiplayer or Public Server Multiplayer(MMO). It's all three. image

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• EdelbertEdelbert Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by Brenelael

You will be able to play it Single Player, Private Server Multiplayer or Public Server Multiplayer(MMO). It's all three. image

Bren

No, it's not. It will feature Single- and Multiplayer. Online multiplayer /= MMO.

Originally posted by Edelbert
    Originally posted by Brenelael

Bren

No, it's not. It will feature Single- and Multiplayer. Online multiplayer /= MMO.

No but if the Public Servers are as massive as he was leading us to believe they where... Massive Multiplayer does equal MMO. But neither you nor I can really prove either claim at this point so we will have to wait and see. He was however hinting toward a single shard public server which would mean everyone in the same game at the same time. Nothing is set in stone at this point however and there are some monumental hurdles to accomplish this but I liked his answers at the end of the reveal as they were all directed toward this type of server setup. This seems to be something that he's been toying with already as he had some really confident answers for the questions asked.

You are right about one thing though even if it is Massively Multiplayer it wont be a MMO in the truest sense of the term as it wont be a RPG. It will be a Space Sim you can play with a whole lot of other people.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

"I don't want to feel like im playing a game, i want to feel like im living in a world." -chris roberts

That should make a lot of people on these forums very happy to hear.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

judging by how he worded his MP elements i cant help but feel like it will be more of a lobby system. kinda like BF3 and STO mixed. you putter around (sto) until you find a lobby match (bf3) and join it, to battle it out.  until its finished the you spawn back to space (sto) until you find another one to join  :/ 

frankly that sounds alittle limited to me.  it was kinda soso with STO when i played it. as i would screw around trying to barrel roll the cruiser i had until an alert popped up to join or it bugged out (alert was over by 10minutes yet kept popping up) 

so i wouldnt call that an MMO system. just a MP system :/  i like his vision though. i think i stil have WC 3 somewhere in my house.  also nice to know they plan to allow friends to join your battles.  nothing sucks worse then a pal finding a game/match and telling you to join but you missed out by0.0003 seconds :/ and cant join until someone quits. 

mind you im not big on space sims as i get kinda vertigo in space when i start spinning... still not sure if this is actually going to have real mmo elements to it. or more of a WoT system where you just buy a new ship kinda deal :/

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Actually it depends on how much money they can gather. You see, unless he gathers 5 million they will not promise any persistent world.

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/

I don't mind a drop in feature, or a "lobby" with multiple "seamless" spaces
    hosted by players like in the great multiplayer titles of old :)

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Amazing! Ty for that link :)
  • freejackmackfreejackmack Member Posts: 378

judging by how he worded his MP elements i cant help but feel like it will be more of a lobby system. kinda like BF3 and STO mixed. you putter around (sto) until you find a lobby match (bf3) and join it, to battle it out.  until its finished the you spawn back to space (sto) until you find another one to join  :/ 

frankly that sounds alittle limited to me.  it was kinda soso with STO when i played it. as i would screw around trying to barrel roll the cruiser i had until an alert popped up to join or it bugged out (alert was over by 10minutes yet kept popping up) 

so i wouldnt call that an MMO system. just a MP system :/  i like his vision though. i think i stil have WC 3 somewhere in my house.  also nice to know they plan to allow friends to join your battles.  nothing sucks worse then a pal finding a game/match and telling you to join but you missed out by0.0003 seconds :/ and cant join until someone quits. 

mind you im not big on space sims as i get kinda vertigo in space when i start spinning... still not sure if this is actually going to have real mmo elements to it. or more of a WoT system where you just buy a new ship kinda deal :/

If you listen carefully to the 45 min presentation Chris Roberts gives, he explains some tricks of the programing in a way we could easilly understand. Yes there will be random events that are going to take place in an instance but that is PVE. The game world will be persistent. He does say however that the game can be made in such a way that you have an instanced type of handleing of resouces. So if 2 people meet in space you only have to devote reasouces to the area around those 2 people and not the rest of space also.

It also sounds like we will eventually be able to discover and if we so chose develope a section of space for operating out of. Maybe mining and manufactureing.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

I really had to laugh at someone asked about SWOTR and about burning content.. and as Chris Roberts descriped some basic sandbox or emergent gameplay values as used in EvE. Or as he described that there will not be 80 lvls or lvl at all to approach.. or i guess even skills like in EvE.  Some ppl are not really strong in imagination, how that can turn out.

I am really thrilled.

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

You can't expect people who never played games which have game systems who allow users to created their own "content" by simply doing what is offered. (Sandbox systems).

Of course they can't coupe with the idea there will be no "Class" with a fixed tree to give you your skills and do "content" by the checklist.

Most people hear "persistent online world" and "multiplayer" and completly forget this is a SPACE SHOOTER first and foremost and not space RPG.

Meaning you take aim, you steer that crazy drive slide by yourself instead of pressing "slide by skill" and watch the animation.