Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tons of content with real story-based quests

JalitanJalitan Member UncommonPosts: 104

There is a very informative thread in the CoS official forum about how much content there is going to be. It also talks again about the great story driven quests (read pen and paper) that will be available. You can read through it here.

I will summarize by using a couple quotes from the thread.

Raevyn

"As to content, our systems are like nothing that has ever been released, nor set to release that we are aware of. With our TrueQuesting system, you could play the same quest 10 times and have it be different almost every time, and not in minor ways. However we plan to have around 100 quests at launch, along with a myriad of other Game Play elements (Adventures, Crisis, League Actions, The Shadow Arena, Monster Hunting, Player Run Theatres, Campaigns....and more..).  

And, just a reminder, a quest is set up to take approximately 14-20 hours of gameplay to complete.  (100 quests X 14 = 1400 hours, or 58 straight days of gameplay if you do NOTHING but quest)

It is safe for us to say that content will not be a problem with CoS."

Jatar

"If, somehow, you managed to outpace us (and we don't want that to happen, but hey, you're the pizza guy) then the system will have tracked when you got certain quests, and start giving you newly generated versions of the oldest ones in your file. Of course, these will be processed through our TrueQuesting module for severe alterations. They will be QUITE different. This gives us confidence that we will have fun content for you to play, even if you are that 1% of the players getting pizzas under the door."

Like what you read about CoS? Support their Kickstarter! ;http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mmomagic/citadel-of-sorcery-mmorpg

Comments

• TooCrypticTooCryptic Member Posts: 7
    guess this is me haha, made 80 at least three times over in GW2, got 100% world completion and working on legendary.... and borred as hell.. meh.. think I'll go call dominos.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Heading out for pizza tonight myself, but I really don't get to play all that much, I can't be considered a content locust.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JatarJatar Member UncommonPosts: 348
    Originally posted by Jalitan

There is a very informative thread in the CoS official forum about how much content there is going to be. It also talks again about the great story driven quests (read pen and paper) that will be available. You can read through it here.

I will summarize by using a couple quotes from the thread.

Raevyn

"As to content, our systems are like nothing that has ever been released, nor set to release that we are aware of. With our TrueQuesting system, you could play the same quest 10 times and have it be different almost every time, and not in minor ways. However we plan to have around 100 quests at launch, along with a myriad of other Game Play elements (Adventures, Crisis, League Actions, The Shadow Arena, Monster Hunting, Player Run Theatres, Campaigns....and more..).  

And, just a reminder, a quest is set up to take approximately 14-20 hours of gameplay to complete.  (100 quests X 14 = 1400 hours, or 58 straight days of gameplay if you do NOTHING but quest)

It is safe for us to say that content will not be a problem with CoS."

Jatar

"If, somehow, you managed to outpace us (and we don't want that to happen, but hey, you're the pizza guy) then the system will have tracked when you got certain quests, and start giving you newly generated versions of the oldest ones in your file. Of course, these will be processed through our TrueQuesting module for severe alterations. They will be QUITE different. This gives us confidence that we will have fun content for you to play, even if you are that 1% of the players getting pizzas under the door."

Like what you read about CoS? Support their Kickstarter! ;http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mmomagic/citadel-of-sorcery-mmorpg

Well, the quote from Raevyn (one of our designers) was not accurate.  We have a rough number of quests we are initially building, which she mistook for the number we are offering at launch.   We will adjust the number of quests after testing to make sure there is more than enough content, and her number is highly unlikely to be accurate to the final count.  Currently that number is unknown.  Please excuse her enthusaistic response, and cut her a small break.  ;)

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Any chance on being able to battle against player enemies that are actually different than us?  i.e., true faction/realms - castle walls, ala real medieval fantasy - or is it all pve? 

Pve is fine, just the AI of a robotic character can't compare to a real person :(

Looking good though - I hope game works out!

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725
    Says combat utilises terrain but they dont talk about taking cover or physics or anything like that. Is it a tab target or hit box or both? Do you fight in groups and quest in groups and is there an agro mechanic (ie trinity) or is it more every man for himself zergy?
  • DarkagesDarkages Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I want a floating island with a castle atop it. Better sign up for more overtime at work image
  • amusedmonkeyamusedmonkey Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Originally posted by rounner
    Says combat utilises terrain but they dont talk about taking cover or physics or anything like that. Is it a tab target or hit box or both? Do you fight in groups and quest in groups and is there an agro mechanic (ie trinity) or is it more every man for himself zergy?

If you head over their official forums you will see much of your questions answered. I will try to summerize what I understood from the dev's answers:

You will be able to use the terrain to your advantage, hide, camoflague etc.. but there will be no real physics simulation to the way combat worls (example: you won't be able to pick stuff up and throw them around).

You will click (or tab I suppose) to select your enemy and execute your skills, because combat is n ot exactly twitch based, you would have to watch your enemy for ques to decide on your next move. This sounded like a good way to do combat because enemies have various intelligence levels. You can get away with arbitrary skill casting with one, but you can't with another. Even when you fight the same monster, if it's the smart kind it could learn from your strategies and adapt to them which means using the same strategy with the same advanced monster will not give you good results.

There is no trinity or classes in the game, because they did away with the "aggro" or "taunt" system, so tanking for the team would not be possible as the enemies use various ways to decide how to fight a group and who to hit (emotion, strategy, logic.. etc) Your enemy could focus  most of their hits on the player they hate the most (depends on the players history with that enemy I think) or logically prefer to hit the closer person rather than the one hiding behind the rock, or think strategically to see which players are more effective or easier to take out etc.. it's a mix of these and depends on enemy's intelligence.

There are no classes in the game either, you can be a powerful fire spell caster that wears chainmail, operate a bow and communicate with spiritts if that's what you want to build. With 1890 abilities (and 120 uber abilities) to choose from, you can make whatever character type you wish to make.

• amusedmonkeyamusedmonkey Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Originally posted by Comaf

Any chance on being able to battle against player enemies that are actually different than us?  i.e., true faction/realms - castle walls, ala real medieval fantasy - or is it all pve? 

Pve is fine, just the AI of a robotic character can't compare to a real person :(

Looking good though - I hope game works out!

There are many types of PvP in the arena including guild vs guild. Not sure about factions, but probably not.

As for AI of robotic chartacters, it's different from what you are used to. Your enemy could pretend to be your friend, then stab you in the back, they could lure you into a trap by pretending to be a person in need, track you down, lie to you, organize an ambush, sabotage your efforts, get to the thing you want before you, possibly even spread rumors about you, knock you down then capture you, interrogate you, imprison you... etc. Since it's a story based game there is much more to combat than swinging a sword, and even when you do swing your sword, depending how intelligent your enemy is, they could adapt to your strategies and force you to think on your toes rather than repeat the same combo for the duration of your fight.

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

I personally never understood this. What is so great about fighting a player?  What tactics?

Every time I PvP in the game it's exactly the same.. someone tries to circle-strafe-jump and hit you until you're dead with their abilities in some sort of logical order.

I'd rather have power AI controlled enemies that think about the fight, which they are saying will be the case.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Dakirn

I personally never understood this. What is so great about fighting a player?  What tactics?

Every time I PvP in the game it's exactly the same.. someone tries to circle-strafe-jump and hit you until you're dead with their abilities in some sort of logical order.

I'd rather have power AI controlled enemies that think about the fight, which they are saying will be the case.

Try the PvP in something like UO, GW1 or EVE. I haven't experienced the PVP you describe since Quake, so maybe you're just playing a very different type of game than I am and that PvP style is still viable somewhere.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre