Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you ever paid for multiple accounts for a single MMORPG?

Comments

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

I had 5 SWG accounts and 11 characters on the Tarq server. I had three for Diablo 1 & 2, but those weren't sub. I didn't play UO or DAoC or any game around that time very long so only had single accounts. From ‘03 - ‘06 I had 11 subscriptions, 5 were for SWG. The others allowed you to have multiple characters per server, so there was no need for more accounts.

Having multiple accounts is not always about winning at all costs. In my case it was about alts in a single character game. the majority of my alts where crafters entertainers and healers. After the NGE the number of players fell, and these classes become a commodity.

True there are players who attempt to increase their DPS by multi boxing. For whatever reason they can’t or won't reply on other players for this kind of help.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Maelwydd
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

I guess I just don't get the whole 'anything to win' mentality as opposed to "success is an achievement not a neccessity" when playing a game.

It's not about winning in all cases - it's mostly just about having fun. For several games I bought two boxes - one to use and the other to get signed by the devs. A room full of gaming swag and signed software boxes probably seems really odd to you, but I'm a big fan of virtual worlds and online gaming so the money and time I invest has both value and reward for me.

In UO, I had multiple accounts. One was for Seer/IGM (roleplay and events) characters, another for regular characters and the third was my reckless abandon PVP/PK account. It helped me keep my assets and characters separate from each other and it also gave me more character slots for the servers I played on.

If you've never had a hobby or been an enthusiast of anything then I can see why this might be foreign to you. However, if you have had something you were rather passionate about (hobby, collection, show, sports team or sport in general), then think of the things you've bought or time you've invested (possibly, even laces you've gone) as part of that passion.

Gaming is my hobby. Been doing it for 30+ years. I do have pristine boxed software. All that I totally get.

What I don't get is the need to have multiple accounts to play a game.

...I am actually studying game design to combine my obsessive hobby with a job.....but I still don't get people that feel the need to multibox...guess I will never get the mentality.

You don't get it because you probably still see it as necessity, not desire. No one needs a second account. Some want a second account to achieve their goals and interests - competitive, alt-related, RP, espionage, or just because they enjoy their game THAT much.

If you really plan to be a game designer, this might be something you're going to want to get a decent handle on. ;)

Agreed, the folks at CCP know exactly what they are doing, and encourage players having more than one account, it's how they've managed to thrive over all these years.  The economics of such design is smart business, and you can learn much from it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Originally posted by thamighty213

...If we didn't have it though our server would have been running round in underpar gear.

Well my point would be....that is the game. You circumvented the game mechanics to do what you did. 1 character per player was done for a reason. By creating more characters you perveted the normal running of that mechanic. You have essentially made the game more and more biased through greed. Instead of just playing the game, having fun when you find a rare and just playing, you turn the game into a set of statistics where the point of playing is lost in the midst of trying to win, even if you use tactics I consider cheating.

Imagine a 100m sprinting race with 8 runners.

You bet on 1 of the runners and get good odds.

You then bet on a 2nd runner...but you get the same odds.

You eventually bet on all 8 runners...and the odds haven't changed.

You might will the bet and some money but at no point can you say you are a good gambler or lucky when you bet. Your focus is on the money, not the skill it might take to choose wisely. Plus, because of how you are betting, you are not getting odds calculated to balance the risk.

I can understand your point of view, but a game is not perfect, and without multiple accounts, a lot of people would not have played as much as they did.

The more accounts you have the more time consuming it becomes to deal with them all, and with SWG resources shifting you can not just keep dumping loads of harvestors down all the time and get the best resources of everything. Keeping up with all the resources and the shifts would drove you insane, so  it still meant buying stuff and resources from other players who crafted better items.

You still have to rely on others to get the resources of other stuff, and in the past  which was better.  You can go for years not getting the best resource, but people in the past got the best and you still have to buy from them if you want the best, so multiple accounts made no difference, except make sure the server had plenty of the best resources, after they have shifted.

If it is impossible to get the best any more, then that just makes people quit. Multiple accounts became part of the mechanics, but I guess if multiple accounts were not allowed, the game would have probably been dumbed down, and they could have made any old iron do, and be all the same quality

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Kyleran
    Just wondering how many accounts other people have paid for in their gaming careers and see if there are any of the hardcore folks on these forums, you know, who have paid for like 12 accounts to a single game (or perhaps multiple games at the same time)
    I have only ever had 1 account per game I play. I have had up to three games (briefly) at one time. That was EQ1, WoW, and CoH. Then again, I suck at multi-tasking :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Muerte_XMuerte_X Member Posts: 104

I had 2 accounts in Shadowbane, 3 when it went FTP. I had 1 for my main pvp toon, the other for a buffbot/summoner or treb operator.

To the guy saying how immoral it is, the game was set up to where you needed preist buffs to be competitve, and they lasted 1/2 hr (if I remember right). Any character set up for buffs was worthless for anything else. So you could have a buddy do it, but I wouldn't want to play a character that is only useful every half hour, would you? Some game mechanics lend well to a 2nd account, and it is not only for antisocial reasons. I would buff 9 people at a time, not just myself, and it was absolutely necessary to have those buffs to be competitive in seiges.

Often lurking, rarely posting

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Just curious, I currently pay for 3 sub fees

At one time, you could have been declared a dirty rotten commie pinko and burned at the stake for multi-boxing.

One of those 'used to be fashionable to hate' gamer ideas, that you never hear any more.  That manifesto kind of fell by the wayside.

Anyway...I've done it a couple of times, support for the 'economic domination' auction house meta-game (i.e. locker mules).  Don't (currently).

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

2 for WoW

4 for Eve...all cancelled now

2 LotR

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Just curious, I currently pay for 3 sub fees

At one time, you could have been declared a dirty rotten commie pinko and burned at the stake for multi-boxing.

One of those 'used to be fashionable to hate' gamer ideas, that you never hear any more.  That manifesto kind of fell by the wayside.

Anyway...I've done it a couple of times, support for the 'economic domination' auction house meta-game (i.e. locker mules).  Don't (currently).

Well, actually in this very thread I've been accused of wanting multiple accounts so I could be a "dick" to other people, or that I just don't like playing fair. (well, there's some truth to that 2nd one I suppose, screw fairness) image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

8 accounts for DaoC (5 for me 3 between brothers/sister)

2 for SWG (All for me)

2 for Darkfall (All for me)

Daoc I kept 3 running at all times for farming with my Spiritmaster and 3 for RvR (Valk/Skald/Shaman) or (SM-darkness-spec /skald / healer)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Agreed, the folks at CCP know exactly what they are doing, and encourage players having more than one account, it's how they've managed to thrive over all these years.  The economics of such design is smart business, and you can learn much from it.

*pitches a Zhevra-textured cruiser to the marketing team for the Buddy Program*

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Overall I feel sad about this thread. I sometimes feel a little embarrased about the time I spend playing online etc but compared to people in this thread I an fine, but people here have some serious problems with social skills and a "must win at all costs, even by cheating" mentality. If ever I was worried for the industry this thread just made it worse...

On a side note, most people I read who play EVE seem to have multple accounts so anyone know exactly what their numbers are? By the sounds of it they just have a lot of people who are obsessed, have multiple accounts and no life?

The air must be very thin up there on your high horse.  Don't fall off, you might hurt yourself.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    I have 2 WoW accounts but one is my friend who paid for it, mostly incase I decided to play the game over again while he was, which I never did do. I very rarely have any extra accounts, only game I do is Ragnarok Online mostly to either afk farm or if I feel dual boxy, I'll run 2 with a priest support to aid another character.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Why?

If you like to be a dick to others, I can see why some want a 2nd account but I cannot see any reason for more then 1 account personally.

The other option are people that simply cannot play fair and so need extra accounts to gather more resources, own more land or whatever simply because they cannot achieve the same as others without effectivly cheating.

I think people that have more then 1 account for themselves and don't have them to allow them to play like dicks are failing to see the point of playing games and treat it more like a job or life replacement.

Even if I was stupidly rich I would still only have 1 account per game, just have lots of games to play. I simply don't get why it is needed for anything but player issues.

If you have ever played Anarchy Online, you would know why almost all the remainaing players have multiple accounts. It's really not optional. The game was designed with heavy player inter-dependancy. And with the game's population in the state it's in, this is not something that can be overcome with a single player with a single acount.

• Ansel09Ansel09 Member Posts: 5
    I got into Wakfu for a while and decided I wanted to double box. Aside from that I haven't really found a need to do so.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

I had 2 EQ2 accounts. In all I think I had 15 characters - 7 of them up to level 90.  Don't need it in SWTOR as I can have as many characters as I want... not sure limit is 40 or 50 I think - I have 25 right now, and it will take me a while to work on all of them, which I intend to LOL. Yeah I know I am altoholic AAA grade.

I was boxing on EQ2 but it was pain in the neck, was doing it only because soloing defiler was unbearable before AAs.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• SimphanaticSimphanatic Member Posts: 92

The last game on which I had multiple subs was PotBS -- 3 freetraders and 1 naval officer. I did multiple freetraders so I could provide my own raw materials and not have to worry about supply shortages or transporting materials through PvP zones.

Before that is was Perfect World, with two accounts (it's F2P, so doesn't really count). The last year or so I played there were way too many power leveled noobs who didn't know their classes or responsibilities in squad. So after the umpteenth squad wipe because of utter stupidity I created a second account, multi boxed, and did all my own daily bounty hunts, and FBs. Once I created that second account I never had another character that died, except on purpose. There's a point in the game where you cannot do cultivation quests unless your character has died. I literally had to commit suicide. Lord love the power levelers.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

In the way back of early EVE, around 4-5 months after release, I ran two accounts simultaneously on one computer. I did this thru all of my EVE gaming.

And about 6 months before and about 2 months after Walking in Stations (EVE) I was running 3 accounts on two screens on the same computer. And it ran like a charm, in space that is.

I tried running WoW simultaneously, my account the other the GF's, and it did not like it. It had some serious draw lag. It was more just an experiment anyway than any real effort on my part to try and make it work.

But if you want to count me and the GF using the same card for the same game. Shit, I cant even count that high, much less remember them all.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Just curious, I currently pay for 3 sub fees for EVE (all for my own use) and got to thinking about how many other titles I've paid for multiple sub fees over the years and why.

Just wondering how many accounts other people have paid for in their gaming careers and see if there are any of the hardcore folks on these forums, you know, who have paid for like 12 accounts to a single game (or perhaps multiple games at the same time)

Never, but there have been times when I have been subscribed to 3 games at same time. :-) Ok, for short, have been trying, comparing, been bored, ... do now know ... but happend from time to time. And have been indeed playing all subbed games alternately in this time.

• InlorInlor Member Posts: 37

Ultima Online: 4 accounts (mainly for crafting and BODs; all active for several years)

World of Warcraft: 2 accounts (not active atm)

• LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    Always been a one account person, but I niether condemn or condone multi accounting.
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

DAoC was the only MMO I have ever had more than one account. I think I had 3 and my room mate at the time had two.

We had 5 computers setup in the back room, would have several friends over a couple nights a week playing long stretches of RvR.

The mandatory buffbot and the 4 or 5 of us running in PvP. Good times.

I barely have the time to play one account anymore, much less 3 or 4 =)

• MnemnosyneMnemnosyne Member UncommonPosts: 8

Three accounts in EverQuest, and I two-boxed pretty much all the time.  Plus this was back when I shared accounts with friends, so I have lists of 12+ accounts I had access to back then; whatever class we needed, I could bring.

Two accounts in Lineage II, but I didn't play for that long, really; I only got to around 55ish.

Two accounts in WoW, and at one point that jumped to three, but settled back to two before I quit entirely.

Two accounts in CoH/CoV.  I can't even really recall why I did that one.  There was some reason I wanted to have two characters online simultaneously, but I don't really remember it.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
        I've had multiple accounts for a  couple of games but never paid for more than one.
  • mysticmousemysticmouse Member UncommonPosts: 146

yes for most games, 1 for me and 1 for my wife and sometimes a 3rd for one of our kids

Daoc 2, Coh 2, Wow 3  StO 2, WOT 2,  GW2 1

• StormakovStormakov Member UncommonPosts: 200

I have had 12 seperate accounts in DAoC, 6 of them are perma banned and 4 have been sold, 2 I still have but are inactive currently - the most I've had active at any one time was 3.

No other MMO i've ever played came close to that.