Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EvE- Giving it a go. Career Advice?

ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Background Info:

So, with GW2 looking to be thoroughly exhausted with 5 char's leveled and 2 in exotics, i decided it was time for a change of setting/pace in my MMO life. Last 4 I have played were heavy fantasy themed, and SPACE -y Sci-fi has been knockin' on the door for awhile. Best Space MMO to date has been EvE to my knowledge, so thats where imma headed.

The Meat:

Ive tried the trial in the past, went for a miner type character, and hated it from jump. It bored me just floating around eating space rocks. The trial ran out, other games were on the mind, etc, and the game fell from my thoughts.

In the past few days ive looked up a few videos of basics for each 'class' and have decided on Explorer, seeing as Mining wasn't for me, I'm a terrible Business type of man, and since this is my first character and REAL excursion into Eve, Military and PVP seem something best left for another character, once i get a much better feel for the game.

SO, an Explorer. I've looked at videos of it, seems pretty interesting and much more 'involved' than mining was. Searching the stars for invisible things and doing things with them. TREASURE HUNTING!

Of all the videos i've been looking at though, they always stop short of what happens after they find something, be it a wormhole, etc. I get from most videos that they save the location, and swap to a combat ship to go in and investigate, but getting the IDEA of it doesnt help much in Eve. You either know it or you die! From what ive gathered, anyways.

EDITED to revise:

I'm thinking Exploring/Combat/Salvaging should be my focus after abit more research. Exploring leads me to the wormholes or cosmic events, combat lets me kill them, and salvaging lets me steal their stuff...

Does that seem viable?

OR would it be better to have a ship for exploring, then have one to swap to for combat? I think that might be better...

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Comments

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Unemployment

Oh did you mean career in the game?  No idea.

• DragFireDragFire Member Posts: 16

You can find this web very useful.  I will try the trial soon.

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Exploration_guide

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by Painlezz

Unemployment

As a stay at home dad, i have the ability to devote the time needed to the game. Otherwise i wouldn't look into it either xD

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Toxia

Unemployment

As a stay at home dad, i have the ability to devote the time needed to the game. Otherwise i wouldn't look into it either xD

Ahhh....living the dream..... yep, you have time for EVE.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Updating OP as i find more information.  The link listed by the nice poster describes Cosmic Anomalies/DEDcomplexes/Unknown sites, that all have npc baddies inside. Definetely something i want to do.

I assume i need salvaging skills for whats left of them afterwards?

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Updated OP again, any help would be teh kewlest.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

in my opinion as an eve guy since 2007 is to get tino an active and friendly corp and just go nuts doing everything.  like, throw the whole game at the proverbial wall and see what sticks.

it's almost cliche at this point but eve university is basically everything that makes this game cool (with the exception of nullsec which eve uni doesnt deal with) all in one place.  it's a whole university with classes and everything designed and run by players.

you will almost certainly get bored in eve without a corp no matter what you do; conversely you will almost certainly stay entertained if you do have a corp no matter what you decide to do.

if/when youdecide you want to venture into WHoles or null sec ... uni can even hook u up through their alumni programm.  they did for me..

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Unemployment

Haha, well advice one do the tutorals they give out alot of good starter skills and ships.   

Originally posted by itchmon

in my opinion as an eve guy since 2007 is to get tino an active and friendly corp and just go nuts doing everything.  like, throw the whole game at the proverbial wall and see what sticks.

it's almost cliche at this point but eve university is basically everything that makes this game cool (with the exception of nullsec which eve uni doesnt deal with) all in one place.  it's a whole university with classes and everything designed and run by players.

you will almost certainly get bored in eve without a corp no matter what you do; conversely you will almost certainly stay entertained if you do have a corp no matter what you decide to do.

if/when youdecide you want to venture into WHoles or null sec ... uni can even hook u up through their alumni programm.  they did for me..

Yeah, already planned on trying to locate a good Corp once i got everything settled.

Was more interested in getting info on the profession side of things, since i already know what i want to do. You seem to have a whole buttload of experience if playing since 2007, what would you reccomend i level up if i am wanting to probe for complexes or DED's or uknown wormhole's, etc?

What race and ship should i start with?

Would leveling combat and salvaging and exploring be too far spread out?

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Originally posted by BullseyeArc1

Unemployment

Haha, well advice one do the tutorals they give out alot of good starter skills and ships.   

Thanks for that, was only planning on doing the ones pertaining to me. Now i know!

These are the kind of tips im looking for! Give me a little leg up lol

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

SO, an Explorer. I've looked at videos of it, seems pretty interesting and much more 'involved' than mining was. Searching the stars for invisible things and doing things with them. TREASURE HUNTING!

Of all the videos i've been looking at though, they always stop short of what happens after they find something, be it a wormhole, etc. I get from most videos that they save the location, and swap to a combat ship to go in and investigate, but getting the IDEA of it doesnt help much in Eve. You either know it or you die! From what ive gathered, anyways.

exploring is ok, if you like shrinking/expanding blue balls all day....anything worth exploring is in low sec/null sec anyways and that is very dangerous (and expencive) business. Wormholes are cool, until you are stuck in one with no ammo and no way to get out, or even worse, other players chasing you and no way to get out......if anythnig it will get your heart pumping.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Do what you want, but stick to it!  Everything has it's ups and downs and all can make you money (assuming you actually try and stick with it).  
  • kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

Do ALL the tutorials and then find a corp.  Everything else will fall into place.

Exploration can be fun but it can also be tedious, specially to start with low skill levels.  And then, as you said, you would also need combat skills to re-ship after you scan something down so you can fight(in sites that require it.)  Salvaging is only needed for one type of site that you can scan down but salvaging in general is handy.

Again, I'll say find a corp.  Even mining, which I loathe, can be fun on a corp op with a group of ya mining and on voice chat bs'ing.  A salvager in a mission focused corp is useful to tag along and clean up the combat pilots mess.  Good money there too while you work on training up skills.  As someone else stated, the good exploration sites tend to be located in the more "dangerous" areas of space so don't expect to make a whole lot of cash as a starting Explorer.

And don't be afraid of PvP.  Most all PvP focused corps that accept noobs have no problem providing you with plenty of T1 Frigates to get blown up in so no cost to you there.

So, again - Tutorials and then Corp.  My current corp isn't afraid of noobs but they'll want you subbed and not on a trial.  PM me if you're interested.  Fair warning, we're mostly Indy chars, well, they are...  I don't shoot rox unless forced to do so...  :)

Cheers, GL, HF, Fly Safe,

k

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Read this, and when you're done, read it again....... then you should be ready to face the challenges of EVE.

http://www.isktheguide.com/

Oh yes, and never fly what you can't afford to lose.

You'll probably break this rule, (we all did) and you'll remember this advice.  Safe flying. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ZemardZemard Member Posts: 7

Read this, and when you're done, read it again....... then you should be ready to face the challenges of EVE.

http://www.isktheguide.com/

Oh yes, and never fly what you can't afford to lose.

You'll probably break this rule, (we all did) and you'll remember this advice.  Safe flying. image

I'll have a good time reading this.

Thanks!

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Ask your self how you like to play your mmo, then try a way of playing like that in eve. You can even stick to that rediculous holy trinity crap that all theme parks rely on so heavily. Dps.tank.healer. Eve is ofcourse far far far deeper than the confines of the holy trinity, but you can still adopt those simple ways. As a brand new player chances are you will not find a good corp, eve univercity is a large corp, but by no means a good corp. Its ok for starting out but i think its too much hand holding. It will slow your eve experience aquisition. You need to learn the hard lessons as soon as possible as those will hurt you the most a year later. Eve is a cut throat vicious game full of mmo vermin. Probably the most important thing to remember. Have fun
  • aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Originally posted by itchmon

i also heard from friends that was in eve uni that e uni ceos are fucked up. if u talk about religion they kick u out from what i heard. aparently they dont like any talks of religion or politics. reason why i never joined cause of those reasons lol