Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SUGGESTION FOR SIGHT REVIEWS AND SIGHT VALUE! :)

Djinn posted a test ("Bartleby?") on another thread that was immensely interesting.  I think a mandatory/optional profile for reviewers would increase the value of the sight tremendously.  Knowing more about a reviewers bias and background helps a potential buyer to make a better decision and leads to an increased chance of satisfaction.  Here's an example:

Bartleby Results:

Favourite MMORPG(s) (list 1 - 3)

How long have you been playing MMORPGs?

How many have you played>?

I'm a thirty year old guy who remembers the glory days of UO classic.  Not coincidentally, I tied for highest score on the explorer and killer aspects of the test with achiever being a close 3rd (3% of the population, I guess exploring/killing combo is kinda rare).  My personality matched perfectly with that version of the game at that time!  Now if I were to review Everquest and bashed it for lack of risk, it would be helpful to know where I am coming from . . . cool eh? imageimageimageimage

This would also GO A LONG WAY TOWARDS ELIMINATING USELESS FLAME REVIEWS.

Permadeath and environmental challenges are the next great step in the evolution of MMORPGs. Only through true adversity will one feel accomplished. Only in truly knowing you can die will true adversity present itself.

Comments

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263
    I forgot where I found that test,  but there was more like it...  image

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?
  • SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460
  • squeeesqueee Member Posts: 722

Originally posted by MurtBijani
    bartleby?

Isn't he one of the angels in Dogma?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.
    Why doesn't DOS ever say "EXCELLENT command or filename!"

Customer: "How fast will my COM ports go?"
    Tech Support: "How hard can you throw your computer?"

lol

i am just as clueless as squeeimage

• phunkymunkeyphunkymunkey Member Posts: 83

image . . .I KNOW ITS IN THESE FORUMS SOMEWHERE!!  I can't remember if Djin started the topic, but he was the one who posted the test.  It is very similar to other personality tests, like the two tests you can take here:

www.humanmetrics.com

It had a series of "A or B" questions and ranked you, %-wise based on the results.  There are four traits, with low % suggesting weak tendencies and high % suggesting strong tendencies. It then gave you names of people who ranked similar in the gaming world and gave % of your type in dif. mmorpgs. My results were something like:

Achiever 34%   image "Check out my lvl. 100 req. ubercoolness"

Explorer 60%    image "Ooh a secret cave! image . . . .Uh oh . . ."

Killer      60%    image "I'm going to kill you with your 

own sword."  image Bring it, newb!"

Socializer33%    image "Hail, Lord Darklight, how do you think the

new patch will affect our guild?"  

image  "Well, blah blah . . . ."

This suggestion is in response to complaints like the one Sonic Brew posted on 9/19 "Were (sp) are the best mmorpgs coming from?"  It was basically a flame because Sonic had no frame of reference on the reviewers, and his idea of a good game was far different than the reviewer's idea . . .

Heck, I'm an illustrator, I'll even throw in a 8 1/2" x 11" character illustration to the person most responsible for these changes.

Permadeath and environmental challenges are the next great step in the evolution of MMORPGs. Only through true adversity will one feel accomplished. Only in truly knowing you can die will true adversity present itself.

• MistiMisti Member Posts: 724
    I think this is a great idea Phunky!  Reviews seldom do much good without an understanding of the reviewers preferences.  Knowing what reviewers with similar preferences to your own say about a game is worth a bunch more then reading a mass of reviews with wildly differing opinions.

ahh

i remember that