Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No pvp? Who cares. oh wait yall do.

2»

Comments

• GrindalyxGrindalyx Member UncommonPosts: 657

Originally posted by Slaggg

Originally posted by skeeter_ross

I guess the disappointment is just setting in.  When i heard about LOTRO i got excited to get to play in the world.  yea there is no pvp, but then i ask: what will u do when u done everything?
    and the comment about the ring being carried is a good one, but things change for video games.  my case and point, SWG.  how many jedi where shown in the original trilogy? and how many run around on each server with lightsabers?  things could be changed to suit that style of play, but ur right it wont come out that way, but im telling you the game will have pvp at some point.

I can dig that you're disappointed.  Heck I was disappointed when I heard that there weren't going to be playable 'evil' characters.  I had this dread feeling that the game would be terribly one sided, with everyone expected to run around all high-and-mighty.  Knowing human nature, that just won't happen.  Lot's of people like playing the 'evil' side, gives em a chance to be bad and do things that normal society frowns upon.  Perfectly acceptable.  But then Turbine lets out that they've come up with a solution (virtuous vs corrupt) which sounds intriguing.  You never know, perhaps Turbine will come up with something similar to address that lack of blatent PvP. 

Edit:  Just read this:  If you go over to the LOTRO bit here on this site, under the Features tab, there's an interview with the Exec Producer of LOTRO, Jeffrey Steefel.  He states that, for PvP, they are exploring "alternatives more appropriate to the Tolkien mythology."  So there may be a happy ending to your concerns. image

The virtuous vs corrupt system was in during the time the game was called MEO. They decided to due away with the alignment system when they changed the name and that was why they did away with PVP.  What interview you are talking about i can't find under the feature tab.  All there is under the feature tab is what the game features.  Under news letters there are two letters from jeffrey steefel one introducing himself and the other answering some questions. I did not find anything were he said they were exploring alternate styles of pvp. Besides it is posted on the offical forums that there would be no pvp and this wasn't going to change. I believe it is under the pvp thread. It could be posted on another thread, been awhile since i read it on the forums.

imageimage

• SlagggSlaggg Member Posts: 221

Huh.  Guess I need to go back to that official site and wade through the pre-school.  If what you say is true, and I'm not really doubting you just want to see for myself, than, well.....bummer.

As for the Exec Producer Interview:  http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/setview/features/loadFeature/260/gameID/45

Scroll down to just above the pic with the Human fighting the orcs on the bridge. 

"First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me...Blow."--Ash, "Army of Darkness"

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378
    PVP is fun, but is not essential to having fun. Don't get me wrong, I love it, and the more hardcore the better, but I'm not so ignorant that I can't have fun without it. If you can't have fun without killing other players you have serious emotional issues. Get a shrink.

The reason i could not find it on the official site for LOTRO is because MMORPG is not the official site for the game and that is were the interview is at. All I know right now is that PVP is out until they change there mind and as patience says on the official forums for the game under the pvp discusion thread this.

We understand that for some players, haveing a PVE game is not what they are hoping for. This decision, however, will not change.

Look under the dev diary's on the official forum for  I feel it in the water a diary by Toes. Were they state that.

Player caracters, the things we as game designers ask you to  invest hours of your life into, will never attack or be attacked by another player caracter.

I take from this that which is posted on the official games forums to be true. Until they come out and say otherwise it wil be true.

imageimage

Originally posted by Grindalyx

The reason i could not find it on the official site for LOTRO is because MMORPG is not the official site for the game and that is were the interview is at. All I know right now is that PVP is out until they change there mind and as patience says on the official forums for the game under the pvp discusion thread this.
    We understand that for some players, haveing a PVE game is not what they are hoping for. This decision, however, will not change.
    Look under the dev diary's on the official forum for  I feel it in the water a diary by Toes. Were they state that.
    Player caracters, the things we as game designers ask you to  invest hours of your life into, will never attack or be attacked by another player caracter.
    I take from this that which is posted on the official games forums to be true. Until they come out and say otherwise it wil be true.

Yeah I couldn't find that interview with the Exec Prod on the official site either.  I don't think the interview that's here on this site is fake (I would hope not), so...well, yeah. 

But even if we were to discount it and take what's on the official site as the only true word, there's still hope for you PvPers.

I did find that dev diary, and there's something in it for the PvP hopeful.  I won't link it here, but for those that want to check it out, (it can be kinda hard to wade through things and find it), and I suggest you do, here's a little road map:

Home Page>Developer's Corner>Dev Diaries>"I feel it in the water..."

Most of the article concerns alignment, but he does briefly address PvP, and leaves a little tease that something regarding PvP is coming.  Have faith, all ye PvPers!

He again goes on to tease a bit more in the thread discussing the Dev Diary:

Forums Home Page>Official Discussion Threads>I feel it in the water...  Page 3 about halfway down or so.

Oh and Grindalyx, thanks for clearing it up for me concerning the alignment.  They did chuck it, but from what I gather, the alternative sounds even more exciting.

"First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me...Blow."--Ash, "Army of Darkness"

I do know what you are saying about the teaser for pvp, I guess the best way to put it is that pvp will not ever be the center focus of the game like it is in other games. Now wether that takes the form of dueling or arenas we don't know. All i do know is that pvp as we know it will not be in the game. No running around and attacking others or being attacked by others. This is the type of pvp that almost all 1337 players crave. With no evil races to play it isn't possible to have the RvR some have mentioned. I am basically a forum whore i visit the forums at least 3 times a day. I post often there and read every bit about the game i can get my hands on.

As for the alignment my understanding is we will be building thru quests standings with the differant races. And you can't (correct me if i am wrong) be in good standing with each race the same. So if you want to be a bad guy just make the races hate you. Don't help anyone, be a lonely bum. But you won't be able to run around ganking an grieving other players.

imageimage

Originally posted by Grindalyx

I do know what you are saying about the teaser for pvp, I guess the best way to put it is that pvp will not ever be the center focus of the game like it is in other games. Now wether that takes the form of dueling or arenas we don't know. All i do know is that pvp as we know it will not be in the game. No running around and attacking others or being attacked by others. This is the type of pvp that almost all 1337 players crave. With no evil races to play it isn't possible to have the RvR some have mentioned. I am basically a forum whore i visit the forums at least 3 times a day. I post often there and read every bit about the game i can get my hands on.
    As for the alignment my understanding is we will be building thru quests standings with the differant races. And you can't (correct me if i am wrong) be in good standing with each race the same. So if you want to be a bad guy just make the races hate you. Don't help anyone, be a lonely bum. But you won't be able to run around ganking an grieving other players.

LOL.  I used to be a bit of forum whore there too, but I got sick of the immature bickering, and decided it was too much to put up with while endlessly kicking dead-horses.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good bit of speculation to raise interest and excitement.  It just felt like I was spinning me wheels over there.  So I drop by on a monthly basis now.  At least now I know who to ask for info and clarification!

I know they've said all along that PvP is a no-go for LOTRO.  I'm just pointing out some bits that the PvPers here may have missed.  Call it my way of trying to bring some kind of end to the endless whining about no PvP here.  I'd rather try to give em something to be hopeful and excited for, rather than try to yell at em and tell em to shut their pie-holes, (which I've just barely managed to restrain myself from doing!)

Yeah what I got from Teos' explanation, the alignment thing will be 'content based' instead of some indicator in the character sheet screen.  I take this to mean the example you gave:  Your actions and responses to NPC's and the path you take to complete a mission/quest slowly but surely determines how the world will regard you.  And it does sound like they're using the racial standing as some kind of alternative to other mmo's use of Faction points.

• Vin79Vin79 Member Posts: 112

I am glad the game will be only PvE, this will mean less doods. If i want to PvP i dont play an mmorpg, i play BF2 etc, one shot one kill, now that's PvP. No greifing, ganking and no excuses, the best player wins.

I hope this will be a awsome rpg, because thats what i am looking for, the same feeling that got me hooked to EQ in 99.