Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is a bad joke.

kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

The appeal of Elder Scrolls games are the fact they're sandbox type rpgs. Now what are we getting? Linear Themepark wow-clone using same engine as SWTOR.

In Elder Scrolls games you are free to do what you want, where you want, at your own pace...I just cant see that translating to traditional themepark setting that the zenimax is aiming for.

Comments

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Originally posted by kishe

Now what are we getting? Linear Themepark wow-clone using same engine as SWTOR.

Wrong. They built their own engine for TESO.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

The appeal of Elder Scrolls games are the fact they're sandbox type rpgs. Now what are we getting? Linear Themepark wow-clone using same engine as SWTOR.

In Elder Scrolls games you are free to do what you want, where you want, at your own pace...I just cant see that translating to traditional themepark setting that the zenimax is aiming for.

At least bash the game correctly if you are. TESO will be using their own engine.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117471-Elder-Scrolls-MMO-Wont-Use-The-Old-Republic-Engine

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    I have a feeling that TESO might actually suprise in a good way those who already are complaining.
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

It's not the elder scrolls that you expect or want, deal with it.  Its an action game mmorpg themepark.  Hardly a joke and it just might suprise you.

~learn to enjoy the simple things in life and try not to get bent out of shape if life does not follow your rules~

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859

I just can't figure out who this game is aimed for.

MMORPG fans? So far it looks roughly the same as 50 other games out there and RvR is also done gazillion times by now.

It can't be the TES fans, Zenimax has stripped most of the features that people love about TES games, and of course the vast modding community wont give two shits about any MMORPG anyway.

DAoC fans? I guess, but there's a fuckton of competition out there for RvR, the newest one being PS2 (which is excellent by the way. Yes it's not a RPG, but lets be honest here, other than the RvR part, DAoC was a really shitty game).

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    We will see. I hope they do not make some joke from that beautiful lore. Elder saga have maybe same amount of fans as Star Wars and developer team who make TESO must be prepared for real rage of fans if they make some crapy game
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    ... At least wait till something is out to judge? I'm not expecting it to be amazing, but its a bit stupid to make harsh judgements. Sure, speculate about it all you want but your basically throwing out stuff without merit.
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    ... At least wait till something is out to judge? I'm not expecting it to be amazing, but its a bit stupid to make harsh judgements. Sure, speculate about it all you want but your basically throwing out stuff without merit.

There is a ton of info already out there, learn2google.

• Goll25Goll25 Member UncommonPosts: 187

It can come down to how you personally play it too... sure you can't kill any NPC or make a house, mod, the dialogue won't be as good, crafting may not be as good, you'll probably (haven't done my homework) be confined to 1 class, and exploring won't be as immersive. 

On the other hand, you'll get to play the whole TESO universe in one game, it's going to be that feeling Warcraft fans felt when they heard of WoW, which may provide for better/more exploration (not as immersive as the standalone games do to graphics/other players, arguably better more diverse combat, multiplayer, pvp, etc.

It would be cool if they pulled a DaoC player housing model (but then again, i think every MMO should have this at bare minimum.), crafting being fun/worthwhile, and other sandbox elements. 

I am not well read up on the game though, so some of this might be happening and idk about it... but down to the bottom of it, it's a TESO game regaurdless so it's worth a shot!

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    any real links?   some people seem so in the loop.
  • ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    GW2 proves linear theme parks are still popular. If they will copy a few unusual features and call them an innovation, masses will get all excited again and the reviews will be praising how uber innovative it is. Same story repeats almost every year.

REALITY CHECK

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Originally posted by stayontarget

It's not the elder scrolls that you expect or want, deal with it.  Its an action game mmorpg themepark.  Hardly a joke and it just might suprise you.

~learn to enjoy the simple things in life and try not to get bent out of shape if life does not follow your rules~

The premise that this game doesn't have to appeal to Elder Scrolls fans at all is complete nonsense.  It is called The Elder Scrolls Online.  With a title that literal they have to deliver what the name in itself portrays.

The problem that some other mmo's have had when they develop their game around a well established world, movie, book, and or game is that they fail to live up to the name brand.  Fans are immediately drawn to these type of games due to the fact it is being marketed as an online version of what they love.  So these fans go in expecting to at least find the basic standards of these worlds and ideas that they fell in love with in the first place.

So failing to capture these standards is a complete disaster and in a sense a betrayel to the customer(s).  TESO so far has seemed to be basing their game very very loosely around the actual world and structure of what makes Elder Scrolls games so beloved.

In a sense the OP has merit to his concerns, excluding still thinking the game is being made on the worst engine ever, the Hero engine.  And dismissing anyone who has concerns like these because you personally don't care if this company holds up to actually making an Elder Scrolls Online and not generic clone #30 isn't good.

We should have very very high standards and show that as fans of the Elder Scrolls we are not going to accept a shitty cash grab half assed attempt at roping in this player base, like Bioware did with SWTOR.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• BrotherDBrotherD Member Posts: 52

I wonder why theree is so much hate about this game. We hardly know anything about it. Sure it might make Elder Scrolls into a Themepark but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. We see tho. Personally I am waiting to hear more before I make up my mind. This could go eighter way but until we know more who knows.

Currently playing: AoC, RIFT, Champions Online, DDO, LORTO, STO and Tribes: Ascend
    Have Played: TSW, SWG, AO, EVE, WOW, EQ, EQ2, SW:TOR, GW,CoH, DCUO, RotMG, WAR,

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

I thought it was a pretty good joke. It made me laugh anyway.

Originally posted by BrotherD

I wonder why theree is so much hate about this game. We hardly know anything about it. Sure it might make Elder Scrolls into a Themepark but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. We see tho. Personally I am waiting to hear more before I make up my mind. This could go eighter way but until we know more who knows.

Not another fucking one...

Are you people new to the web and no one just told you yet that you can actually search for stuff before you go throw up an opinion?

Once more, there is plenty of info out there already, more than enough to see what kind of game we are getting here.

No I wont search it for you, it's freely available all over the place.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by bliss14

http://www.ign.com/wikis/elder-scrolls-online

http://tamrielfoundry.com/development-faq/

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by busdriver

I just can't figure out who this game is aimed for.

MMORPG fans? So far it looks roughly the same as 50 other games out there and RvR is also done gazillion times by now.

It can't be the TES fans, Zenimax has stripped most of the features that people love about TES games, and of course the vast modding community wont give two shits about any MMORPG anyway.

DAoC fans? I guess, but there's a fuckton of competition out there for RvR, the newest one being PS2 (which is excellent by the way. Yes it's not a RPG, but lets be honest here, other than the RvR part, DAoC was a really shitty game).

It's aimed at WoW gamers.. They want to get them as the they slowly leave WoW.  The sad thing is that it won't work.  Many companies have tried.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• BrotherDBrotherD Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by busdriver
    Originally posted by BrotherD

Not another fucking one...

Are you people new to the web and no one just told you yet that you can actually search for stuff before you go throw up an opinion?

Once more, there is plenty of info out there already, more than enough to see what kind of game we are getting here.

No I wont search it for you, it's freely available all over the place.

Somebody is having a bad day. And no there isn't a lot of info. To get a feel of what kind of game it is isn't a lot of info. So tell me what classes is there? Dungeons? Raids? Abilities? Currency? PvP systems? Any details about the story besides very few general info? Shall i go on. So no there isn't a lot of info.

Currently playing: AoC, RIFT, Champions Online, DDO, LORTO, STO and Tribes: Ascend
    Have Played: TSW, SWG, AO, EVE, WOW, EQ, EQ2, SW:TOR, GW,CoH, DCUO, RotMG, WAR,

• SicaeSicae Member Posts: 110
    Tidbits from the links that was provided
    • The game is 3-factions that are seperated
    • PvP-area is an unclaimed land in the middle region
    • instanced PvP
    • focuses on active blocks and cc-counters instead of trinity
    • limited amounts of skills at any one time, multiple to choose from
    • health, magicka and stamina on all characters
    • hub-less quest design
    • outcome of quests can change your world (phasing)
    • public dungeons for smaller groups
    • instanced dungeons
    • endgame pve with heroic versions of instanced dungeons
    • raidbosses
    Levelling design doesn't sound like the linear questhub design, ability design is a mixture of gw2/tsw with a focus on active blocks instead of dodge, PvE-endgame is pretty standard, PvP-design sounds bit like warhammer with 3-factions.

People has to stop hating this game just because swtor turned out bad, because given the information its not going to be a standard wow-clone.
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

I think we as mmo players cary alot of hate with us.
    We have been disapointed alot by mmo studio's and frustrated to have a long awaited game turn into a money grabbing fiasco.

I hate to admit it but i dont see this game turning out succesfull, but i might be totaly wrong as i do not own a crystal ball telling me the future.

But 1 thing is sure: to make a succesfull mmo and keep people playing for longer then 2 months you need to make one hell of a game.

Went from 8 years WoW to 1 month GW2 and i never regretted my change.
    But i got my eyes on WoD and iam always open for extremely good mmo's, sad thing is there are only a few out there.

SWTOR was a total ripoff...it fell flat on their face within 2 months...and they arent the only studio, Aion / Warhammer had the same shit happening to them.

Hype is good if hype is based on true facts, like GW2 the hype was crazy high and they lived up to that hype so far.

I realy hope more studio's can pull this off :)

• SluskeSluske Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Originally posted by Reklaw
    I have a feeling that TESO might actually suprise in a good way those who already are complaining.

This is a feeling I've had a while as well. Dunno why, but I just feel it might surprise.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    From what I have seen so far it is no where near a linear themepark... not sure what all the people saying that are watching but they should go rewatch some info.  The tools alone they are delivering to the players is simply game changing.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by bliss14

http://www.ign.com/wikis/elder-scrolls-online

http://tamrielfoundry.com/development-faq/

lol sorry i could have been more pro-active.  thanks though!

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

This will be a massive suprise hit.

No-one will see an awesome RvR game coming around the bush, especially since it's carrying a powerful name that people are extremely skeptical about.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Sluske
    Originally posted by Reklaw

This is a feeling I've had a while as well. Dunno why, but I just feel it might surprise.

I feel the opposite, but it's not just based on random feelings. It's based on things that they've said that don't sit right with me.

The game will adhere to genre standards like classes, experience points, and progression. The player will gain experience by slaying enemies, exploring the world, and completing quests or objectives within the world.

Stuff like this you know. Hard to be pleasantly surprised when they are using genre standards. I'm not saying they won't get anything right or that there won't be neat little things here and there, but I personally feel that at the core it will be just another MMO with TES lore and skin because they pretty much say as much with statements like the above.