Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll] Progression Server, Would you play it?

Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Pretty much what the title says. I wasn't an Everquest or EQII player, but I know they did progression servers for those games and they were pretty popular. Me and my guild/linkshell mates always say if Square opened up a server that started over at Zilart or just before Zilart we would be all over it. 

I know I would, I miss old school FFXI.

*Edit* Poll added

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

Comments

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    In a heart beat.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    I just wish SE would recognize the potential of a progression server and put one into commission.

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• ant211ant211 Member Posts: 54
    great idea, would definately play. bring back the days where levels meant something and killing required skill and effective team work
  • Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Yea, I miss the Weaponskill chains ===> Manaburst. If you had a good group of people you could destroy mobs pretty quick and actually have a good time doing it while holding decent conversations and such. Not like the MMO's of today where its quest hub to quest hub and people just absently running by each other without a care in the world. 

I miss valkrum dunes being full of people and ifghting for claims on pulls. Seeing a guy train to zone in Garlaige Shitadel and mobs not despawning, parties running for there lives back to zone as well. Yuhtunga Jungle getting lost while trying to find your way to a party in Yhoater (though I know those jungles by heart pretty much now). 

There is so much FFXI has to offer its just a shame its been lost due to Abyssea and some of these newer expansions. 

• dylangdylang Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by Vunak23

Yea, I miss the Weaponskill chains ===> Manaburst. If you had a good group of people you could destroy mobs pretty quick and actually have a good time doing it while holding decent conversations and such. Not like the MMO's of today where its quest hub to quest hub and people just absently running by each other without a care in the world. 

I miss valkrum dunes being full of people and ifghting for claims on pulls. Seeing a guy train to zone in Garlaige Shitadel and mobs not despawning, parties running for there lives back to zone as well. Yuhtunga Jungle getting lost while trying to find your way to a party in Yhoater (though I know those jungles by heart pretty much now). 

There is so much FFXI has to offer its just a shame its been lost due to Abyssea and some of these newer expansions. 

I couldn't agree with you more!

that being said, I would. I would soooo hard.

• TyrozTyroz Member Posts: 23

I've been hoping for something like this, but it won't happen. I actually think there is a huge market for them if they did this. Surely they have a few of the old servers kicking about, unless they are using them for FFXIV... Just fire on the Zilart database SE and give us what we want!

The existing FFXI playerbase like the way it is the now, which is fine. But a lot of players have left the game for the reason that they don't like abyssea. (Me included.) Even if it's short term and doesn't work. I'd say they could easily fill a server or two up with the fanbase that wants this. What we should do is get the Japanese fans to think it's their idea, SE will listen to them more than us.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048
    I guess I'm alone. I wouldn't but then again I got to do all those things when it was new. I doubt it would be as fun the second time without it being new to me and the friends I met along the way. Bring on the new stuff and new experiences
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by k11keeper
    I guess I'm alone. I wouldn't but then again I got to do all those things when it was new. I doubt it would be as fun the second time without it being new to me and the friends I met along the way. Bring on the new stuff and new experiences

I'm kind of along the same lines as you, but not exactly the same.

I'd like to see the game go back to the style of gameplay and the focus on community, team-work and steady progression it had back then. They started moving toward the "more accessible/casual friendly" direction in the past few years and the game has suffered. It just wasn't designed around that kind of gameplay, and to try and shoe-horn it in like they did with Abyssea, and to a lesser degree some of the later pre-Abyssea additions, was just "off".

It would blow my mind that people who had played for as long as they did (6+ years) were saying Abyssea was how the game should have been all along and that SE finally got it right. What's funny - and very telling - about that, is most all of those same people quit the game only months after the last Abyssea expansion came out and they got through it. They power-leveled everything they didnt' already have at cap, they raced through everything solo or in smaller groups that would have required larger groups to do at intended levels... and suddenly found themselves bored with nothing else to do.

So, when the game wasn't "how SE should have had it all along", it kept them engaged and playing for years. When SE changed it to how they claim "it should have been", they lost interest and were gone within months.

I used to have about 20-30 people on my friends list online and playing at any given time during the pre-abyssea days. When Abyssea landed and changed XI, that number dropped down to about a dozen. The rest left. Every person who stuck around raved about how awesome XI was now.

In the past week or so I've logged on to POL to see what's going on. Of the dozen or so who were playing, only 3 were still around. The rest quit also, having burned through abyssea, finding nothing else they wanted to do and getting bored. The 3 still around are all "done" with Abyssea (as in "fed up with it") and are just hoping the new expansion brings the game back to how it used to be.

Ironic, eh?

I think there's a lesson there... one that's been missed and misunderstood by developers - and players - for some time now.

• TyrozTyroz Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by TangentPoint

It would blow my mind that people who had played for as long as they did (6+ years) were saying Abyssea was how the game should have been all along and that SE finally got it right. What's funny - and very telling - about that, is most all of those same people quit the game only months after the last Abyssea expansion came out and they got through it. They power-leveled everything they didnt' already have at cap, they raced through everything solo or in smaller groups that would have required larger groups to do at intended levels... and suddenly found themselves bored with nothing else to do.

That actually pains me to read. The 6-man Exp party system was just the most awesome thing ever. Sure, some may disagree which is fine. I personally loved the grinding with others and meeting up with new people and going to different zones. I played since NA launch and continued to do so for many years, All while still enjoying Exp partys.

Some of the harder IT++ areas required excellent team play, Especially back in Zilart. (Can't remember when they allowed mobs to stop and despawn after chasing for so long.) But in Zilart they chased you all the way to the zone if someone fucked up. As a Tank, I took it as my duty to make sure everyone got their ass across that line, All while shouting "Train coming to zone! Currently at !".

Your DD's had to focus on Skillchains for the most effective way of leveling. If a BLM was in the party, He would wait for his MB. All that was pure genius. For me, Zilart was exciting.

Helping LS members camp NM's to get what they need or want. You did it without fuss or any hidden agenda. (Well, I did.). Sure you can argue, "I've done all that. I'd get bored if I did it again.". Some of us are different and I'd like to see SE atleast give it a shot with 1 server to try it out.

I'd like to blame Abyssea for taking the game where I didn't want it to go... But truth be told after ToAU I did notice player base start to dwindle. Players start to become assholes. Community mean less and less. Mostly because, Everyone had did pretty much everything the game had to offer. I know I've just contradicted myself...

But it's like playing an old game again after so many years. I played FF7 again not that long ago and still enjoyed it, Even after I've completed it so many time in the past. So I would love another crack at a Zilart server that progresses through the expansions at a yearly rate or so. I would re-sub again if this was possible. But instead, I've found a private server in the making. So it shames me to say, I must go the illegal route and go against SE if I want to go back to Zilart.

• DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371

Yes i would so join that. I played this game everyday for years before abyssea came out. I only stoped back then while doing a ZNM tier 4 fight, because my computer blacked out and never came back on :( For some reason it took over a month to fix it, and by that time i just got outa the habbit of playing it. But over the years i did come back a few times and still enjoyed it. After abbysea came out all i did was literally fish. I never even did abbysea, only did a few xp parties after that was realeased.

I just enjoyed the game so much more before abyssea came out. FFXI is without a dought the most enjoyed and longest mmo that i ever played. I really miss the old days, all the friends that i made, the times we spent together. I just havn't had an mmo to date that  i really enjoyed as much as FFXI oldschool days.